02 Empty Promises

All You Never Say
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another Love - Tom Odell (Play this song)

 

Jong In

 

Loud bass disco sound clouds my ears; bodies bumping and grinding on the dance floor. I sighed on the sight of my friends partying along the girls they barely met. As for me, I just wanted to waste my time with my drink. I just wanted to drown myself. I wanted to forget how I am messing up with my supposedly perfect married life.

 

“Kai.”

 

I looked at the figure on my side then offer him my drink.

 

“What do you want?” I asked him as I took another sip from my beer.

 

The stool on my side made a low screech as he took his seat.

 

“You don’t usually drink beer Kai. What is it again?”

 

I stared on my glass as if waiting for the ice to melt with the beer. Bubbles rising drown me along with the thoughts of her. Acid tickles my belly and maybe any moment I’ll reach my limit soon.

 

“Aish!”

 

Do Kyungsoo, 27, singer, a friend of mine for ten years. This older man just snatched my drink. I watched him gulped in one shot the beer I had. He sighed in relief after then wipe off his lips with the back of his hand. I smirked at him after seeing how his brows cringed from the after taste.

 

“Badass Kyungsoo.” I mumbled. I looked up to the bartender to request for another drink. The moment I raise my hand, Hyung slapped it away and gestured the young bartender to ignore me.

 

“Just let me.” I was about to get another drink when he hold my hand tightly then put it back to my side. He shook his head slowly.

 

“Enough Jong In. You had enough.” I heard his voice cracked despite of the loud deafening music at the background.

 

I bit my lower lip as I stood up. I felt his hand on my arm and the other on my waist. My knees almost gave in. My head started spinning like I was hit hardly. I was having a hard time walking in between the narrow spaces on the side. I tried to search for the others but my eyes are starting to get blurred as well.

 

“Hyung, just leave me on the counter. I can handle it. Suho hyung and the others are still there partying.”

 

“Stop it Jong In. I’ve promised to Yoo Jung that I won’t let you drink much.”

 

“Hmpf! You’ve promised. Promise…”

 

 

I chuckled sourly as I heard that word from him. It was a twist of sour and bitter on my tongue.

Promises – promises that are meant to be broken. Two years ago I have promised to her that in sickness and in health, in richer and in poorer, till death do us part; I’ll be her Kim Jong In no matter what happens. But here I am, trying to drown the regret and guilt masking the perfect husband she knows. I am not. I will never be perfect for her neither to anyone. I have tainted the purity of our promise. I broke it and I really don’t know how to fix it. If only those beers could drown these feelings that I have, I’ll drink all night long until I forget how I messed up with my life.

It how easy it is to enter in a mess but harder to get away from the tangles of it.

 

 

Hyung drag me to the parking lot. He did not speak a word until we reached my car.

 

“Jong In-ah, hand me your key.”

 

With my eyes close, I answered him, “It’s on my pocket.” I wobbled on his arms as I try to draw out my key from the pocket of my pants. It slipped from my fingers.

 

He picked it up as I lean on the car, “Aish! Just don’t puke on me. I’m warning you Kim Jong In. I’ll leave you here…”

 

“Then do it.” I told him. I snatched the car key from his hand then tried to open the door but it won’t budge.

 

“I’m just kidding. Let me do it.”

 

My eyes shifted on his direction. I shook my head. I sighed as the thought that until now this Hyung still cares for me no matter how imperfect I am. He knows everything and I feel sorry for the burden I have caused him.

 

“If only stares could kill, I would have died on the spot already.”

 

I sighed. He took my hand and led me towards the passenger’s seat. He fastened my seat belt and taken care of everything. He’s more than a friend to me – he’s almost a brother.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter