[A Short Breather]

Too Nice

'What?' he asked himself as he walked through the door. On his table, he saw a clear vase holding white roses and gentian. It wasn't exactly his table but he hasn't seen anyone sit there but him-technically no one was sitting there but obviously those flowers weren't his. Mentally shaking his head he turned his attention back to the counter and tried to remember what he hadn't tried yet.

"French vanilla and chocolate chip muffin, haven't you tried this already?" Woozi asked, typing the order into the computer. Minghao thought about it some more, he might have.

"I don't think it was this combination, I might have tried the two of them separately before." He kept the conversation up knowing Woozi was bored.

"You should have kept a list,"

"Well, it's too late now isn't it? Maybe you should try it."

"Seungcheol makes the food way too sweet for my liking," he shook his head before jerking his head to the right, "He probably already has your order."

"Maybe it's too sweet for you, but he makes it really fast."

"So who're the flowers for?" he asked S.Coups as he came out of the counter to give him his order. S.Coups looked over his shoulder and shrugged. "Woozi told me they were for you, but if you didn't know then..." He gave Minghao an apologetic look before heading back to his station.

Reeling himself back to the front of the counter, he gave Woozi a death glare. "Yes?"

"Why?"

"You're talking about the flowers right?" He looked towards Minghao's table and mimicked their manager's shrug, "Jeonghan said they were for you so I put them on your table. I don't know who they're from, though." He watched with an amused smirk as Minghao's glare turned into a hopeless pout.

"Are you sure you don't know who it is?" He asked again, all he got was a shake of pink hair before he decided to look at his flowers.

There had to be a note right? He took a small bite of the muffin a couple sips from his coffee before turning the flowers around, not disrupting the order of it. Maybe when he leaves he could go ask Mrs. Hana about who she gave them to. They were his favorite flowers, organized just how he suggested when he first saw them.

20 minutes later; food all gone with no note to be found, Minghao's pout turned into a panic when the usual feeling he gets started to settle in his chest. He bobbed his legs up and down, looking for something to do. He listed the people inside the cafe.

"One couple, can't bother them," he mumbled loud enough only himself could hear, "kid doing homework, does he need help? What if he's video chatting someone and they're already talking about answers? That'll just bother them... who isn't doing something?"

Suddenly straightening his back, he stood, steadying the table when he saw the vase nearly topple over. He didn't see anyone look at him so he continued his way towards the counter.

"Hey, Woozi~" The pink fluff of hair came closer and eventually headphones came into view. "So, do you have to do anything after this?" Woozi looked up at him with wide eyes before they looked away and his hair color spread across his face.

"Y-eah, I kind of..." He mumbled something and the feeling in Minghao's chest kept him from teasing the other.

"I'll cover your shift for you!"

"Minghao you said-"

"I know!" he said a little louder than usual, a bit on edge about everything. He made a quick recheck of the cafe and sighed. "I know what I said but... I just can't help it Jihoon" He heard the door close, the couple left and the kid was about to leave too. "Your shift is almost over anyway. It's better if you're not rushing."

Jihoon tried to hold Minghao's stare but gave in with one quiver of the lip. "Fine" they moved towards the back to see their manager.

"Seungcheol!" Woozi screamed once they entered the back. The dark haired male looked up from the coffee machine, he asked someone to cover for him before he properly walked up to them. 

"What's up? Did we run out of something?" He wiped his hands down on his apron.

"No, Minghao wants to take over the rest of my shift." The manager's lips thinned into a hard line and he gave them a look.

"I know you don't like it when we switch shifts because the other person still gets money and it's not fair and we can't get a raise either" Minghao rushed out and took a deep breath before finishing, "but I really, really want to and Jihoon has a date." Minghao felt a sharp pain in his side and rubbed the area Jihoon elbowed.

"Just this once, you know how he is." Jihoon scratched the back of his head, looking up at Seungcheol apologetically. 

Letting his lips relax, Seungcheol hesitantly agreed, "Change quickly, I think I heard someone walk into the door and no one is working the register." Smiling, Minghao hugged his manager before getting dressed.

"He's really not over it?" Seungcheol asked, following Minghao with his eyes. Jihoon shook his head slowly.

"I think he's handling it, just sometimes, he remembers you know?" Taking his apron off, he hung it on the rack next to the door before waving the manager off.

Minghao walked out of the single changing room, smoothing down any wrinkles he found, grinning at Seungcheol on his way back to the counter. He immediately got to work, feeling better already, humming and wiping down the counter. He heard the door open and he absentmindedly greeted them.

"Welcome to Q&A Cafe what would you like to get?" The pitch in his voice got higher as the meaning behind his question changed, "Hi Jun."

"Hey, Minghao."

He laughed nervously and set the damp cloth in the opening behind the counter before focusing his attention on his customer. "So what do you want to order?" he asked again. Jun looked at the menu above his head and Minghao waited patiently.

"You know... I'll take a recommendation. I actually have something to ask you so I'll just wait till your shift ends." They smiled at each other for a while before Jun remembered Minghao didn't know he came in earlier so he would be curious as to how Jun knew Minghao's shift. "-What time does your shift end?"

Minghao was already typing things into the computer, "Not long, about 15 minutes." he finished typing and gestured towards the other side of the counter. Jun looked at him weird before realizing he had to go get his order.

"Wen Junhui! Nice to see you here again, Jeonghan says thank you for the big tip by the way."

"Yeah... he didn't tell me Minghao's shift was today..." He mentioned, palming for his food. S.Coups gave him a look and made him blush.

"You gave him a tip because he gave you information? Nice, I never thought-" Jun scrambled over the counter, almost knocking over the drink, to slap a hand over Seungcheol's mouth.

"I promise I will give you twenty dollars to not tell Minghao." His head jerked around and he made sure no one heard. Seungcheol moved Jun away from him and declined on the money.

"Your secret is safe with me, treat Minghao nice okay?" Jun blushed more at the words, nodding and looking back at Seungcheol frequently as he made his way to the table. He almost knocked the flowers down the same time Seungcheol decided to leave. Taking a deep breath, he blew into the small hole in the lid and took a sip.

Coffee, french vanilla. He smiled at the sweet taste and examined the flowers. They were nice and small, Jun wasn't much of a flower person but he could see why Minghao liked them. Suddenly, the flowers were moving and an arm came into view. Trailing his arms up the arm to the person it was connected to, Jun kept it low key and asked why the flowers were there.

"Uhh," Minghao started, blushing at the thought, "they're for me apparently." Jun took note of the fact Minghao added the 'apparently'.

"What do you mean by-"

"Minghao, as your boss, I'm telling you not to clean the tables and check out already." Seungcheol's voice came from behind the counter. Minghao stopped and closed his eyes, giving Jun to peek at Seungcheol only to be winked at.

Minghao turned, "But Seungcheol-"

"No butts, take off your apron and relax till we close, it's only 5 minutes Minghao."

"Wha- but-" Seungcheol gave him a stern look, forcing him to stop arguing.

2 minutes later Minghao slumped into the seat across from Jun. "It took you 2 minutes just to take an apron off."

With a soft glare, Minghao retorted, "Excuse you, I have to move the tips into my wallet too."

"Still doesn't take that long," Jun smirked. Minghao reached across the table and lightly slapped his arm. "Okay, okay. So the flowers."

"My co-worker said that someone bought it for me earlier today, I originally came here to eat and just relax because that's what I always do but when someone gave me the flowers I just felt like doing something nice."

"Did your co-worker give the flowers to you?" He finished the coffee and Minghao didn't even ask to throw it away. When he came back Jun looked at him weirdly.

"What?"

"...Nothing, so your co-worker gave these to you?" he repeated.

"No."

"Then why did you take their shift?"

"The cafe is closing guys," Seungcheol stood at the end of the table, apron off and hands in his pockets awkwardly, "I didn't mean to interrupt but I keep it open longer people will come in."

Both men nodded in understanding and stood to leave, as Jun held the door open for Seungcheol like the gentleman he was, he pointed out that Minghao forgot the flowers.

"Thanks, don't want these to die." He smiled down at the flowers and it made a smile appear on Jun's face as well. Seungcheol smirked at the scene before forcing Minghao to hurry it up so he could lock the door.

"See you tomorrow Minghao, nice seeing you again Junhui, good night guys." He waved them off as he jogged towards his car, wanting the two of them to have as much alone time as possible. Jun looked at the doors for a while longer, something felt wrong.

"Did you leave something in there?" Minghao's worried voice filled his ears and made something click in his head.

"You paid for my drink. I didn't pay for it earlier." He turned around again to see Minghao playing with the petals on one of the white roses.

"Yeah, you gave me a ride home that one day. I was just evening out the... what's the word?"

"You didn't have to, it was just a small drink." There was no real anger in Jun's words but Minghao could tell there was confusion.

"I wanted to, you gave me a ride so I gave you a drink. It's really not that bad." Minghao started walking and Jun followed.

"So..." Jun continued, moving onto a similar topic, "You really don't like when people do things for you."

"Didn't I already tell you that I just feel uncomfortable when it happens? I don't really hate it."

"Then why do you feel uncomfortable?"

"Because..." he looked down at the floor and kicked a rock in his path, "because it just doesn't seem fair."

Jun was going to ask him to elaborate on his statement but Minghao already knew, "I know that nice things happen to people and I know that you go around tipping people and paying for their meals but I just don't need it." He kicked another rock. "I feel like there're so many people out there that need help, so many homeless, poor, starving people. And I'm over here managing on my own, able to support myself and even others if I needed to. I don't need someone paying for me, but there are others that do and I feel like if something nice happens to me, I just stole a chance for someone to be nice to the poor."

Jun stayed silent for a long time after, wanting Minghao to say more.

"I guess you have a point," he finally said, "but your reasoning isn't completely right either."

Minghao's eyebrows furrowed so Jun continued. "Sure there are a lot of people in the world that need money, but coming from a person that used to just give out money to anyone who asked for it, there're people that take advantage of you."

"People'll start expecting you to give more money to them, Hoshi meets the people I give money to and makes sure they don't take advantage of me. He's protective like that." Jun laughed and caused Minghao to chuckle as well. "The point is, giving to someone that already has money is easier and has a less risk of being taken advantage of than giving to someone that has none."

Minghao still looked lost, they had reached Minghao's car and a feeling in his stomach was telling him to ask Minghao for a ride home. 'A three-minute drive' he told himself. "If you give homeless people money they need more to become stable, no one can fully support another person without taking them into their home and even then it's hard."

 "I'm still taking their chance," Minghao said, playing with the keys in his hand, he didn't want to get into the car if Jun was still talking to him. "Do you want a ride home?"

Inside, Jun was dying to say yes and in order to stay safe, he just shook his head. "My house is only a 3-minute drive." He took a step back, letting Minghao unlock his car. Next thing he knew he was being pulled into the passenger seat. "What?" He looked around, nose catching the scent of a car freshener.

"Yeah, well you won't be walking," Minghao said, locking the door and starting the car, quickly pulling out of the parking lot. He Jun scrambled to sit correctly and put his seat belt on. Screaming the whole turn.

"Calm down, we're alive and I'll drive safe...er from now on." He adjusted his grip on the steering wheel.

"What did I do this time? What are you repaying me for?" Jun asked once he was able to get his heart to work again.

"The flowers." Jun was about to ask him how he figured out but Minghao continued, "I feel like I should be doing nice deeds to everyone. At least, until I figure out who gave me the flowers."

Jun bit his lip. "Tell me when to turn." Jun nodded.

"You take it straight and then turn left, I'll tell you when to stop." The rest of the 2 minutes passed quickly and before the knew it Minghao's car was parked and Jun was getting out.

Starting up his car again he heard a tap on his window, rolling it down, Jun's face came into view and he immediately smiled. "Yeah?"

"Were you always like this? Y'know, doing nice things and hating when something nice happens to you?" Minghao shook his head, laughing a little at the memory.

"I don't hate it," he corrected, "and you'd be surprised at how different I was in the past," he saw Jun open his mouth for more questions and he quickly added,  "Sorry Junhui, gotta get home. I promise I'll tell you the story another time!"