One Date or Date One?

Too Nice

At exactly 6:47 Minghao showed up to the corner of the street. Jun had been waiting there since 6:30, he didn't know Minghao would be so punctual, he drove because the thought he was late. The awkward eye contact they made gave him the urge to flee but he had promised Hoshi he would stay and it would be rude to ditch now.

Minghao walked up slowly, when he told Jihoon that he was over trying to repay people, he had sincerely meant it at the time but when someone opened the door for him later that day, he offered to walk them to their apartment and knew it wasn't true. He sighed and Jun asked if something was wrong. At first, Minghao didn't hear him so he repeated the question.

"Huh?" Minghao asked, looking up at the other as they started walking. Jun was leading and Minghao wondered where they were heading.

"You sighed, people usually sigh when something is wrong. Is something wrong?" Jun asked, peering at the other through his peripheral vision.

"Not exactly, I just remembered a bad memory is all." He stared at the floor and shoved his hands in his jacket pockets when he noticed the look.

The silence was awkward, he was thinking of asking Minghao about the memory but he didn't want to bring it up if it was bad. He sighed and looked at the street.

"-ng?" Jun's ears picked up on Minghao's voice. 

"What?"

"You sighed" Minghao grinned. Jun's eyes widened at his words being repeated back to him before shrugging.

"We're awkward, I don't know what to do."

He watched Minghao nod before turning his attention back to the front. "Why didn't you want me to pay for you?"

"Isn't it just better to give?" The memory came back to Jun and he held back from yelling, "Liar"

"It's not that I don't want you to pay for me, I just thought, I was only going to pay 10 dollars and I work there so there's really no reason."

Jun looked back at him for the third time that day and laughed. "That makes no sense."

"It does! If I work there then I could always get a discount if I didn't want to pay or they could take it out of my paycheck or --"

"Minghao!" A fairly old lady came up to the two with a gentle smile on her face. She looked Jun up and down before turning her full attention to Minghao.

Jun smiled at her politely. She was wearing a rainbow patterned poncho with a black shirt and black tights. The glasses on her face were a bit crooked but she didn't seem to mind.

"Minghao are you dating the famous Wen Junhui? What a perfect match for you!", Jun snickered and watched as Minghao turned red, trying to figure out what to say at the same time.

"N-no! He just... He paid for me yesterday... We aren't dating..." Jun turned back to the lady and laughed more when she tilted her chin down in disbelief and shook her finger.

"Don't lie to your elder boy, it's rude and I know you aren't rude."

The amount of darker shades Minghao went through caused Jun to burst out laughing. Minghao looked so defeated that it was hard to not feel bad for him.

"Although I am very good looking ma'am," Jun felt the glare aimed at the side of his face, "I am not... Minghao's? Boyfriend." As he was saying the sentence he realized he had never learned the other's name until that moment.

"Ah, but you two are on a date yes?" She urged on.  Minghao slouched as Jun nodded.

"Yes ma'am, we are on a date, but it is only because he refuses to let me pay for his meal without getting anything in return." She seemed to nod but then hit Minghao upside the head with a stern look in her eyes.

Jun jumped a little at the sudden violence and was shocked even more when she started yelling at him. "Xu Minghao! You have to let people do something nice for you one way or another! You can't live life all alone without any help!" She hit him one more time but Jun saw that it was more of a warning than the first.

"Now, take this flower, when I saw you walking I immediately thought of bringing it to you." She held out the flower and he hesitated to take it. When she knew it was securely in his hands she smiled at the two one more time before entering her shop. Minghao stared at her for a while before pouting down at the flower. It was a single gentian.

Jun watched him, wondering what he was going to do with it. He watched Minghao slowly make his way to one of the empty pots from a bouquet and set the flower inside while staring at the doors of the shop. Slowly, he straightened his spine and walked away.

"MINGHAO DON'T YOU DARE!" The yell came from the inside. Jun whipped his head around to see the woman running out and Minghao down the street. "I swear that boy." Jun turned back to the woman and saw that she was still trying to regain her breath while holding the small flower.

"Are you okay?" He asked, a little worried. She ran all the way out of the shop at what was probably her fastest and stopped so suddenly. He rested a hand on her shoulder and stabled her till her breathing turned back to normal.

"I'm fine, thank you. What a nice boy, you are" She pinched Jun's cheeks and he winced a little. She smiled more and handed the flower to him. "That boy never lets anyone do something nice for him. That's his favorite flower, I trust that you will be able to give it to him." She stared up at Jun with a serious expression and Jun really had no choice but to accept.

"O-okay Ma'am." he stuttered. She smiled and went back into the store. "W-wait Ma'am! How much is the flower?"

"It's for Minghao," she waved it off without turning around "It's free."

He looked at the flower for a while before hiding it in his coat and trying to find his date.

He walked down the street with his hands in his pockets, trying to remember what Minghao was wearing. It was a thin, light gray, jacket and a slightly yellow shirt underneath. He remembered he was wearing ripped jeans as well. Jun walked a little bit more into the calmest part of town.

After 5 minutes of walking, he finally spotted the other. He slowed so he couldn't be noticed and observed what he got wrong. Minghao was actually wearing a yellow hoodie and gray shirt, but he got the pants right. Mentally giving himself a high five, he approached the other, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Oh, there you are," Minghao said, not even turning his head to look at Jun.

"What- you didn't even jump," Jun whined. The chuckle Minghao let out made Jun pout even more.

"I don't get scared easily, ask my friends." He shrugged, making Jun's hand fall off his shoulder. When Jun didn't reply he took a peek and laughed at the other's jutted lip. "Awww don't pout!" Minghao cooed and moved in front of Jun to reach up and pinch his cheeks.

Jun swatted his hands away and moved his head out of reach, "Ow!" he rubbed his cheeks, still pouting. The other shook his head and reached up again. "Ah!" Jun dodged the hands and ran away, still cupping his cheeks. He turned to see Minghao quick on his tail. He let out a small squeal and ran faster.

When he turned around for the second time, it was atop a staircase. He looked down to see Minghao slouched over. Jun squinted his eyes to get a better look and Minghao was trying to catch his breath. Jun ran down the staircase to see if he was okay. As he got closer, he realized that Minghao was just laughing. At him.

"Wh-what? I thought you were dying!" Jun shoved the other a little but panicked again when he almost fell over. "What are you even laughing about?!" Jun crossed his arms and waited for Minghao's answer.

"Your-" a laugh, "You-" another laugh and Jun's eye twitched, "YOUR SQUEAL!" Minghao forced out before he began laughing again. Jun's jaw dropped as he watched the other's face scrunch up and air leave his lungs. He was having trouble getting the air back and he motioned Jun to help. Face scrunching up in pain from lack of oxygen.

"Pffffft," Jun couldn't hold in his laugh at the other's panicked smiling face and was soon laughing along with him. A few minutes of wheezing and gripping stomachs later, they continued their walk and calmed down to a small chuckle whenever they looked at each other. "By the way," Jun started, "I did not squeal."

"Oh, I beg to differ there oh-great-Wen-Junhui, you squealed." Minghao stuck out his pointer finger to aim it at Jun.

"Pointing is rude," Jun said, still laughing. Minghao straightened the rest of the fingers and asked Jun if it was better. Jun shook his head and looked around to figure out where to go. There were only a few people around, and he's seen the staircase before... "Oh, I know where we are, come on." He motioned Minghao to follow him up the stairs.

"Where are we going?" Minghao said, slightly panting from the long walk up.

"There's a convenience store right around the corner. You wanted to pay me back right?" Jun said, looking around and trying to choose whether to turn left or right from the top of the stairs.

"Yeah..." Minghao said, still not understanding what Jun was getting at.

"I want you to buy me something from there."

"Wait seriously?" Minghao stopped. Jun turned around and walked backward, choosing to turn right.

"You don't want to?" He raised his eyebrows and smiled when Minghao caught up to him, shaking his head.

"No... I just never thought that someone like you would go to convenience stores... I thought you were going to make me pay for your meal at a fancy restaurant or something." He answered honestly. Minghao felt cold at his shoulder and noticed that Jun had stopped walking. "What...?"

He looked for Jun and found him a couple steps away, holding his heart under his palm with an offended expression on his face. "I'm wounded" He stated.

"What?" Minghao repeated.

"I'm wounded that you think I'm a stereotypical rich guy!" Jun whined and pouted again.

Minghao smirked, remembering what happened earlier. He knew that Jun did too by the way he stopped pouting and started to cover his cheeks. "I'm not going to pinch your cheeks," Jun didn't move his hands, "I'm not! Honest." He put his own hands in the air showing his innocence. "And I know you aren't the normal rich guy, I just thought that you went somewhere a little fancier than a convenience store."

"I still don't get it, but I'll let it slide this time." He let his hands fall to his side and continued their walk adding, "but just because you didn't pinch my cheeks." Minghao punched his arm playfully, asking him what he wanted to get.

"Well since your meal was only 10 dollars yesterday, I won't get a lot." He rubbed his chin and entered, a small 7-Eleven. Minghao looked around for anything he would buy for himself. Nothing caught his eye so he searched for Jun.

He was at the back of the store, standing in his red flannel, white shirt, and blue jeans, looking at the several soft drinks and juices through the glass refrigerator doors. Minghao walked up to peer over his shoulder.

"Having trouble? What are you looking for?"

"Uhhh...." Jun said, trying to find an answer while focusing on finding the drink at the same time. "Uhh......" he repeated. Minghao looked at the variety, of drinks mumbling them quietly.

"Rootbeer, Coke, Sprite, 7up, Orange Fanta, Honey tea, Pepsi, Lemonade...."

"Wait you found Honey tea?" Jun asked, eyes scanning all over the place.

"Right there." Minghao pointed to the row of boxes through the glass, making a small dot appear.

Jun opened the glass doors and grabbed two of the boxes then lead Minghao to the counter. "Is that all sir?" The cashier asked. Jun nodded and told them that he didn't want them in a bag. The cashier nodded and swiped the boxes and handed them back to Jun. Minghao brought out his wallet and paid.

"You have 3 dollars left," Minghao said as they exited.

"Yeah, you can keep that, it's probably tax right?" Jun took the straw off one of the boxes and inserted it through the foil.

Minghao watched him take a sip, wondering what he thought of it.

"I tried the one at your cafe by the way." Jun said Minghao nodded, "Although it was really good, I do like this better. Of course, it could just be because it's from a store." he took a sip before handing the second box out to Minghao.

"No thanks, I'm not thirsty." Minghao bit his lip when Jun gave him a face.

"Okay, you ran from the old lady, then ran after me earlier, laughed a lot, then walked upstairs. You're telling me after all that, you're not thirsty?" Minghao nodded and Jun shoved the box into his hands. "What a liar." 

"I could just drink when I get home." Minghao tried to reason, searching for a place on Jun's body he could stick the juice box through and keep it there. No luck. "Okay fine, I just really don't like when people give me things, can you please take it back?"

Jun shook his head after taking another sip from his box. "Technically, you paid for it, so it's yours, and I was just holding it for you."

Minghao narrowed his eyes and pointed to Jun, "You set me up" he accused.

"Hey, put that away," Jun swatted the finger, "maybe I did, maybe I didn't." he took another sip before watching for Minghao's reaction from the drink.

With frustration, he ripped the straw from the plastic wrapper and broke the foil, angrily drinking from the box. As the sweet honey filled his taste buds, eyes widened and looked at Jun. He was smirking back at him, empty Juice box hanging from his lips by the straw. Minghao swallowed and felt a cough coming up. He took the drink out of his mouth before turning into his arm and coughing.

"Easy there, is it really that good? I don't think it's too different from the one you serve at the cafe." Jun laughed, patting Minghao's back and helping him through the attack. Minghao cleared his throat one time before wiping his lips.

"I was just surprised. I see why you like this better, though." He cautiously took another sip from the box as Jun threw his empty one away.

"I love honey tea in general, this is just my favorite," Jun stated absently. Minghao nodded and they were brought to a silence again, thankfully, it wasn't as awkward as the one they had in the beginning of the date.

None of them said anything till they reached the corner. "Did you walk here?" Jun asked. Minghao shrug-nodded and Jun shook his head. "It's dark, I'll drive you home."

Shaking his head furiously, he disagreed with the idea. He heard Jun laugh and tried to focus on the other when he grabbed his shoulders to steady him. "Woah hold on" he muttered, blinking.

Jun laughed more, dropping his head before looking back up at Minghao, hands still on his shoulders. "I'm driving you home, I live 3 minutes away and it'll be a waste of gas to just drive home." He turned Minghao around to push him across the street once the crosswalk sign gave the okay. He was thankful for the 30 seconds given to cross because Minghao was struggling with all his might.

"Minghao," Jun grunted, "if you don't start walking we're going to get run over and I'm not exactly fond of that idea."

"Well if you just let me go home my own way," Minghao dug his heels into the ground, "then I wouldn't be doing this now would I?"

Jun finally managed to get them on the sidewalk before the stoplights turned green. Minghao continued to lean against Jun until they got to his car. When Jun opened the door by reaching around Minghao, Minghao braced himself against the door frame as if he would die once he entered the car. 

"Minghao we're already here! Would you just get into the car before you break my door off?" Jun gave the other one last shove and Minghao's gave up on him making him fall face first onto the passengers seat. He heard Jun walk to the other side of the car and he pouted, fixing his position so he could buckle his seat belt.

He felt a pain in his cheek and he flinched away, Jun pinched his cheek. "Did you really?"

"Yep!" Jun started the car and buckled his seat belt as if nothing happened. Minghao rubbed his cheek, still shocked. "Where to?"

"Jie street," Minghao grumbled.

-

Jun slowed once he to the street, telling Minghao to point out his house.

"Just up ahead, the one with the tire swing in front." He poked the glass and Jun pulled up to the driveway.

"Nice." Jun nodded, respecting the tire swing.

"Thanks. For the compliment and the ride." Minghao quickly got out of the car and jogged up to his doorstep. He waved at Jun before disappearing behind the door.

Jun nodded even though Minghao couldn't see him, he took the car out of park and drove off, trying to forget that the gentian the lady gave him earlier was still in his coat pocket.