Thanks, but No Thanks

Too Nice

It was Sunday, a normal day for everyone. Some people went to church, others went to the park. Some went to the Gym, and Jun, it was when he paid for a random person's meal.

Jun, famously known as Wen Junhui, was featured in the magazines for every day for a whole month. It went from the whole front cover to small sections on the back but his name had always been somewhere whether it be ' Another Monday, another charity saved ' and his name in the subtitles or ' Tuesday Tips with Wen Junhui '

He liked to give all the credit to his parents, though. They had always had wealth, and they spend it on good causes, Jun picked up on their habits easily at a young age.

It started the day they gave him his first allowance, first grade. He was given 25 dollars a week for lunch money and he had always bought food for those that didn't have any. If someone had asked him for a little bit of money, Jun would give them a little more and insist they use it all. He was always willing to give more than he asked for which made him popular with everyone, especially the gold diggers.

One man wouldn't allow it though he had always watched from afar and thought that Jun was foolish. Why was he giving out full meals to people that were fully capable of making their own and not noticing those taking advantage of him? Kwon Soonyoung didn't know why, nor did he want to know, he just wanted to help and stop this foolishness.

When they had first met, Jun was crying because some kids bullied him when he ran out of money to give. Soonyoung had walked up with no mercy, telling Jun that it was his fault.

"You're always giving out money, it's like you're just an ATM. They aren't going to treat you like anything else if you just give away your cash like that." Soonyoung had rested his hands on his hips and waited for Jun to stop crying.

"But my parents say that what I'm doing is good" Junhui wiped his tears away and looked up at Soonyoung with red eyes.

"It won't be good if you're crying like this. Here," Soonyoung held out his hand for Jun to take, "I'm Soonyoung and from now on, when you want to give money to people, or if people want to get money from you, they'll have to go through me!" He puffed his chest out and fisted the hands on his hips.

Jun stared at him for a while before grinning, "Okay," he said, "but your name is too long, I'm calling you... Hoshi. Is that okay?"

Soonyoung's eyes lit up and he nodded quickly. Jun shook hands with him in a silent agreement. "Your name is long too Junhui" he stretched out the syllables for emphasis, "I'll just call you Jun."

With their hands still connected, they shook on the new agreement.

Hoshi had kept his promise through the school year, telling Jun when to call it quits and when he was allowed to continue. As they grew older, Jun claimed himself smart enough to know the difference without Hoshi's help and the other had made a huge deal about it when he did so.

A sniffle, "Aw my baby boy is all grown up!"

Jun rolled his eyes and punched the other in the arm. "Shut up, I'm 22 and older than you." Jun flicked him in the forehead, making him pout and rub the spot tenderly.

As months without Hoshi's help passed, Jun slipped into his old lifestyle.

At 23, Jun had fallen in love with a man named Mingming. Mingming was amazing, someone that could hold on his own, and never asked for too much, or well, that's what he was like when he had first met Jun. Jun had met him on a regular Sunday and paid for his meal then left. Mingming had seen him and chased him out of the restaurant to pay him back.

"You can't pay for me like that and then just leave!" Mingming yelled at him and threw something at Jun's head to catch his attention.

Jun turned around and saw that the other had thrown his napkin. Jun laughed a little and stopped to face Mingming. "You threw your napkin at me?"

Mingming seemed to blush a little before taking the cloth back. "let me pay you back" he had gotten straight to the point and started digging through his pockets. Jun put his hand up and stopped him.

"Don't pay me back, I wanted to pay for you"

"Well, I didn't want you to pay for me. Let me do something in return." He challenged, Jun was surprised.

Being the flirt he was at the time he smirked, "Go on a date with me then, let's meet here at 11 tomorrow. You can repay me by showing up."

As they grew closer and started dating, Jun had spoiled him and he had grown used to it.

He had started asking Jun to buy him stuff, to give him money, to pay for all their meals and jun had done it without complaint because Mingming had always said sorry and thank you afterward. Over more time, Mingming began being bossy about it.

"Jun get me that."

"Jun I want that."

"Buy this for me."

"I took 100 bucks from your wallet to buy my friends food"

Jun had still done it without complaint, Hoshi figured out and warned him but it was too late, Jun had fallen in love and he couldn't climb back out. He had already been planning on asking Mingming to marry him.

He remembered how he asked perfectly. On their year anniversary, he had brought Mingming out to the restaurant he first paid for him.

"Why are we back here?" Mingming had been smiling the whole time knowing where this was heading. It has been a year and Jun had asked him what his finger size was. Jun was never good at hiding things from him.

"I just thought you would like to eat here again, you know, relive memories." Jun had been smiling as well. He dragged Mingming all the way into the restaurant and sat him down quickly.

They had eaten with lots of laughs about the past year. With memories of all the things, they've done. As Jun finished paying the check, he took Mingming's hands gently and kissed them just as softly.

"I remember the exact moment I started liking you." Jun had said seriously, but there was still a lightness in his voice. He looked up at Mingming to see him smiling, the light above them reflecting in his eyes.

"It was when you threw a napkin at me." Jun laughed and let go of Mingming's hands to pick up one of the napkins from the table, showing it to Mingming. The other was smiling at him and nodded.

"Since a napkin was the thing that put us together, I figured it should be something that keeps us together." Jun unraveled the napkin and showed a black, felt, box with golden rims. Mingming gasped even though he already knew.

"Will you marry me Yao Mingming?" Jun watched as tears of happiness rolled down his cheeks and fall to the floor when Mingming nodded. Jun smiled and wiped the tears away right before he connected their lips. Everyone in the restaurant cheered for them.

It was 2 years ago, 2 years since he got together with Mingming, half a year since the other ditched him at church. Jun sighed at the memory and made his way out of the apartment. Too much time alone in there always brought back the thought of Mingming. He grabbed his coat and made his way to the coffee shop Hoshi had told him about the other night.

"So I hear you're getting back into that old hobby, " Hoshi said from his kitchen. Jun tilted his head back to look at what he was doing when he saw all the ice cream tubs he had out and open he sighed.

"You're cleaning that, and what hobby are you talking about?" He turned his head back to the television, trying to focus on how paper towels were made while trying to figure out what Hoshi was saying.

"You're going out and paying for people's meals again

." Hoshi came back with a glass bowl of chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, cookie dough, and pistachio ice cream covered in what looked like a whole bottle of whip cream, cherries, sprinkles, cinnamon, and every cereal he could find in the pantry. He held out a spoon and watched Jun take a bite cautiously. "Good?" Jun nodded and took another bite.

"You were saying?" Jun brought it up again when Hoshi got too absorbed in the sundae.

"Oh yeah," the blond said with a full mouth. Jun cringed when he saw all the melted ice cream. "So since you're giving people free meals-"

"I'm not treating you to anything" Jun interrupted. Hoshi had as much money as he did, there wasn't anything the other couldn't pay for.

"I didn't want anything" Hoshi protested and took another bite.

"You may continue," Jun said in mock professionalism. When Hoshi gave him a straight face he gave the other what he wanted and apologized, bow and all. With a smile, Hoshi swallowed.

"Before you rudely accused me of wanting something from you" Jun rolled his eyes " I was saying, that you should go to this coffee shop around the corner. You could walk or take your car, depends on how quickly you wanna get there." He took another spoonful of the ice cream.

Jun dug his spoon into the ice cream mixture, trying to everything, before bringing the spoon towards his mouth at tasting it. The taste was tolerable. "Yeah sure"

Jun checked the directions on his phone, a 20-minute walk from his apartment, not too bad. It would be a waste of gas to drive since it was only a 3-minute drive. There were a few shops to pass by and the sidewalk was pretty busy but it wasn't anything Jun couldn't handle.

It was sunny and he found it slightly amusing that it was sunny on a Sunday. He watched children ask their parents for food in the carts and smiled when the parents tried to refuse but ended up paying for their child.

There were a lot of good people in the world, a lot of people that deserved a break from paying for everything and being in debt. If he could, he would pay for everyone, but even he can't do that, so he settled with paying extra some days, and paying for meals on others.

He looked at the outside, 'Q&A Cafe', he pursed his lips before he opened the glass doors. He watched as they closed gently, he didn't want to cause a disturbance. He looked around, there weren't a lot of people there, they had a lot of empty tables and he saw some of the workers laying back and chatting with each other. He walked up to the counter and thrummed his fingers on the counter top.

One of the workers noticed and called a name. Jun smiled at the worker before he disappeared into the back room. A man with pink hair got shoved out and he grumbled all the way to the counter. Jun was a little nervous to be ordering something, the guy was short, but seemed to be in a bad mood and Jun was pretty sure he would lose in a fight with him. The name tag said to call him Woozi but Jun decided against it.

"What would you like to order?" The voice came. Jun stuttered and panicked, looking for a menu to order from. The worker sighed and Jun apologized. "It's fine, take this, and get back in line when you're ready to order, there are people behind you so please get out of line and let them order."

Jun turned around to see a couple standing there, they weren't looking at each other. One was looking at the menu above the counter like Jun should have been doing, and the other was looking around for a good spot to sit. The one looking above the counter was taller, wearing a thin coat over a white shirt and ripped blue jeans while the one looking around was wearing a black beanie, a matching white shirt, and simple black pants. Jun wasn't sure why he studied them, but he guessed it was from the fact they were linking arms and he couldn't help but find it cute.

He quickly got out of line so they could order, they have most likely been there before, judging by the way the taller of the couple excitedly started talking to the worker. Jun watched for a bit more, the corners of his lips turned up when he saw the one with the beanie punch the taller because of what he said. He chuckled lowly and finally brought his eyes down to the menu.

In a fancy cursive writing, Jun guessed that it said 'Q&A Cafe' at the top where several lace patterns were drawn. His eyes roamed down the list and stopped at the title 'Honey Tea' he thinned his lips to a line and wondered if he should pay for both himself and another person or just pay for the person. Curious about the taste of their honey tea, he chose the former.

His feet made their way towards the counter again and the worker managed to smile this time. Jun thought that if he had smiled more, there would be a lot more customers. He checked the menu one more time as he was handing it back and saw that customers had to pay for the internet, another factor as to why not a lot of people go to the cafe. It wasn't too expensive, though, a dollar an hour, it seemed reasonable to Jun.

"What would you like to order?" He asked. Jun panicked again, afraid that if he messed up the other was going to hit him with something.

"Honey Tea" he managed to get out before Woozi did something or changed his expression. The pink hair bobbed as Woozi nodded and typed something into the computer, causing a blinking blue price to appear. '3.22' the machine read. Jun fished out a 20 dollar bill and handed it to the other. When he saw the change being taken out of the register he acted on impulse and stopped the hand with his own. He felt the glare from the other and quickly took his hand back, patting himself down.

He made eye contact with the other and quickly tried to explain the situation as clear as possible. "I-I-I just... I didn't need you to t-take the change out." The eyes narrowed further and Jun swallowed, regretting everything wrong he had done in his life. "I wanted to pay for someone, you can choose, I'll pay for everything, and you can keep the change if there is any." He sputtered out. Woozi eyed him for a second longer before closing the register. He ripped the receipt and gave it to Jun, telling him the drink will be out on the other side of the counter.

A bit shaken, Jun made it to the other side. He took deep breaths and tried to calm down his nerves. A worker came up to the opening and put the drink down in front of him, he jumped and let out a small yelp.

"S-sorry, I just--"

"Woozi scared you eh?" the worker teased, Jun looked up to see an older, taller looking man with black hair. "He's harmless-- well that's a lie" the man cut himself off and shifted his weight to his other leg. "He looks harmless, but he wouldn't hurt you here, don't worry." he picked up the drink again and handed it out to Jun this time.

"Thanks..." Jun said, trying to read the name tag. 'S.coups' it said. Jun thought it was a little odd so he didn't finish saying the name. He nodded to the worker and quickly made his way out, a little too scared to turn around and face Woozi again.

-

Xu Minghao, 23, works at Q&A Cafe while living with his parents. Minghao wasn't fond of people doing things for him, he was distressed whenever someone did, so when his friend Jihoon told him that someone had paid for his meal, it didn't go well.

"Jihoon." He deadpanned, looking the pink haired male straight in the eye. "Who, paid for me?"

The smile on the other's face would have been contagious if Minghao weren't so worried. He laughed a little before pouting because Minghao's face wouldn't change. "Hao, I thought you said you were over it."

"I am, I just... wanna know who paid for me is all" He lied, he knew Jihoon wouldn't buy it, but it was worth a shot.

"I paid for you."

"Liar, who was it Jihoon? I'll give you the actual money I was supposed to pay as a tip if you tell me." Minghao pleaded and gave Jihoon his best puppy eyes.

"Minghao I swear you're always too nice, let someone pay for you yeah? Plus I'm not lying, the guy came in here and gave me a 20 for a honey tea, then stopped me from getting his change, to tell me that he wanted to pay for someone of my choosing."

"You chose me... why?!" Minghao whined, pulling on Jihoon's collar and making his face from more of a pout.

"Don't do that too much, your face will get stuck like that." He pinched Minghao's cheeks to get him to stop. "You said you were okay with people doing things for you now, so I thought I would let the guy do something nice for you, or I would do something nice for you by letting the guy pay for you," he started rambling about the specifics of it and Minghao whined again.

"Jihoon I swear you better tell me now or I'll"

"Wen Junhui." The answer came immediately. Minghao blinked before asking Jihoon to repeat it. "Wen Junhui. He came in here, did the thing he usually does, then left."

"How long ago?" Minghao asked.

"Not that long, about a minute or so, you have great timing by the way" Jihoon continued to ramble about nonsense like he does when he's really bored but Minghao was out before Jun got too far. He looked around, it was earlier than he usually leaves, but he was grateful because he was able to spot the famous giver easily.

He waited for the crosswalk to give him the signal before sprinting across the street and towards the rich man. He almost tacked the other onto the busy sidewalk but they were able to regain balance. Jun threw Minghao off of himself, thinking that Minghao was a mugger or some other criminal. He quickly got into a fighting stance but Minghao put his hands up.

"What do you want?" Jun asked, narrowing his eyes and coming closer to the other.

"I-I just. You paid for me back there and I wanted to give you your money back" Minghao closed his eyes, waiting for an impact that never came. He opened his eyes to see Jun a bit shocked from his answer. He repeated it again, more clearly. "You told my friend, to keep your 20 and use it to pay for someone, my friend chose me and I don't like that kind of stuff so please, take your money back."

Minghao brought out his wallet and pulled out a 10. Jun laughed a little and shook his head, pushing Minghao's hands back towards him.

"I wanted to pay for you, you can't repay me in any way." He smiled at Minghao's pout before turning his back to leave. Minghao reached out and pulled him back by the sleeve. Jun stopped and looked at the other, waiting for him to explain.

"Can you please just take my money?" Minghao held out the 10 again and Jun gave him a look.

"It's only 10 dollars, you don't need to give it back to me, and--"

"What do we have here?" Hoshi's voice came from behind Jun. Jun turned around and faced the other, wondering what took him so long, they could have been gone before someone had to come and pay him back.

"He's trying to pay me back," Jun said and thought to himself that it was just like when Mingming had met him. He sighed and looked to Hoshi for help.

"Why won't you let him help you?" Hoshi asked Jun wanted to physically facepalm but Hoshi was already continuing. "Did he tell you that he wanted to and that it wasn't a lot and that there wasn't a way to repay him?" Hoshi recited. Minghao nodded, a little shocked at how accurate the assumption was.

"Well, there is a way actually," Hoshi smiled and covered Jun's mouth before continuing. "Go on a date with him, pay for everything, and that's how you'll get him back. Easy right?" Minghao nodded once. "Good, now carry on before this guy figures out a way to change your mind. I'll make sure he's there tomorrow. Meet here around the same time. Bye bye now." Hoshi started to drag Jun away as the other struggled.

Once they were far enough Hoshi let go of Jun's mouth and wiped his hand on Jun's shoulder. "I can't believe you did that!" Jun yelled at him. Hoshi was still wiping the spit off with a disgusted face.

"I can't believe you were me the whole time! How gross!" Hoshi made a gagging sound before actually taking Jun into seriousness. "You'll be fine, he looks nice too." Jun walked back to the corner to see the other smiling at everyone he passed.

"Yeah, but I still don't want to go out with him." Jun turned around and headed back to his apartment.

"Where are you going?" Hoshi yelled at him from across the road. Jun showed him the finger in response. He could imagine the offended look on his friend's face. "You'll thank me for it later, just watch!"