Jisol; "Do You Wanna Build A Snowman"

25 Days of Shipmas

    To say that Chwe Hansol had the heart of a child was most certainly an understatement. Immature was not at all the word - one could tell from but a glance that he was mature beyond his meager years of seventeen. It was just that he was a free spirit, one who went with the flow of things often without question. He was not careless, but carefree, creating the illusion of naivety.

 

    And, of course, there was his affinity for those things most often associated with youth, such as the snow.

    

    He had never been one to just sit indoors and watch the snow fall; he might’ve lost his mind over something that was just so tantalizing. So close, with only the thin sheet of glass of his window separating he and it; to tell him to sit down and stay inside would’ve been pure torture, would’ve slowly driven him mad. He couldn’t be blamed, though; everything about the snow was just absolutely begging for one to be among it, and it was nearly impossible to ignore such a need. So, he didn’t; he embraced it, thus branding him the child at heart that he truly was.

 

    The snow was something best enjoyed with company, however; there was no fun in being by oneself amid it, which was how Hansol found himself standing outside with Jisoo, both heavily bundled within many layers of jackets.

 

    Jisoo, the California native, was not cut out for such weather. He loved the sun, the beach, the heat - Jisoo and winter were two words that couldn’t logically fit beside one another in the same sentence. Regardless, there he stood behind the cold loving Hansol, mentally cursing himself for being so ready and willing to follow along with anything and everything that the younger said or did.

 

    “What did you want to do?” He asked, voice gentle and soft as ever. For all his dislike for the winter, one simply couldn’t argue the fact that he fit the atmosphere flawlessly, he himself just as gentle - if not more so - than the snow surrounding them.

 

    He was met by a shrug from Hansol - the younger didn’t often think things through, and it seemed that this was just yet another show of his lack of foreplanning. “I’m good with anything.”

 

    “Okay,” Jisoo began tentatively. It seemed that he was going to have to be the one to take charge of this situation, regardless of his limited knowledge of snowy activities. “Should we… build a snowman?”

 

    That answer seemed to please Hansol; though, Jisoo mused that he likely would’ve gone along with it regardless of what Jisoo had said. “Yeah, that sounds good,” he agreed, quickly flashing a glimpse of that relaxed smile of his before immediately setting to work, gathering up a handful of snow and starting to pack it into a ball.

 

    Jisoo watched, suddenly unsure of himself. Of course, he’d watched Christmas movies and read books about winter time and time again as a child, though it occurred to him as he watched Hansol work that he really hadn’t the faintest idea of how to make a snowman. He had asked the question as it was the first thing that came to his mind, but in reality, he’d never made one in his life.

 

    It didn’t take long for Hansol to catch onto his inactivity. “Aren’t you gonna help?” they younger prompted, slight teasing edge to his voice.

 

    A sheepish grin broke out across Jisoo’s bright pink lips (made even brighter in comparison to the rest of his paling skin as a result of the bitter cold), apologetic tone in his voice as he admitted, “I really don’t know how to build a snowman.”

 

    Hansol looked taken aback at first - to him, one who saw snow every winter, the notion was simply unheard of. He blinked briefly at Jisoo, though it was only a matter of seconds before he broke out into light laughter.

 

    Jisoo may have pouted at that had he not remembered that he was meant to be the mature one in that situation.

 

    “It’s really easy,” Hansol assured the quite apparently confused Jisoo, dusting himself off as he stood and made his way over to the elder’s side. “See, you just make a snowball by patting it all down together, right? And then you put it in the rest of the snow and you roll it like this…”

 

    Jisoo was a quick learner and the task at hand was a simple one, so it didn’t take very long at all for him to pick the method up. From there, in spite of himself, it seemed that he was having fun, even the normally dazed Hansol laughing and smiling along with him as they made mistakes and perfected their snowman.

 

    “It has to be the tallest snowman that we can make it,” insisted the Californian, and Hansol showed no opposition to his statement whatsoever; he was entirely willing to accept such a challenge.

 

    They laughed as Jisoo clumsily pushed the ball that was meant to be the base of the snowman around aimlessly in the snow, laughter even growing as it quickly reached the point of being far too heavy for Jisoo himself to continue moving around, Hansol joining in by his side to push in through the snow. They didn’t stop in rolling it until they physically couldn’t get it to budge any longer, then moving onto the second layer which was much the same routine.

 

    The weight of it wasn’t a problem to the two, of course, until it occurred to them that they somehow had to lift that part onto the base of the snowman.

 

    “Let’s just lift it together,” Hansol suggested, stating the most obvious solution.

 

    Something about that idea seemed off to Jisoo - perhaps it was the weight, perhaps something else, but he felt strongly as though Hansol’s apparently obvious plan wouldn’t go quite as smoothly as intended. Regardless, he agreed, and the two put their hands beneath the massive clump of snow and began to lift.

 

    They were almost to the top of the base - almost - when the layer that they were carrying collapsed in their hands, just as snow often tends to do. In the mess of snow falling apart around them and the sudden change in the weight of the load they were carrying, it was only natural that they should lose balance, and before long, in typical cliche, drama fashion, Hansol was lying on his back amid the snow with Jisoo collapsed on top of him.

 

    Jisoo, of course, was generally a level headed man, and a gentleman at that. As such, he quickly scrambled to get off of Hansol. “Oh, I’m sorry, are you-”

 

    Suddenly, everything froze. Jisoo, Hansol, even time itself seemed to draw to a halt around them. Jisoo had made little to no progress in lifting himself up, but when he had seen Hansol’s face from such a distance, he found that he no longer had the drive to stand up. Those hazel eyes seemed to be twinkling in the winter light, his cheeks were dusted pink from the cold, and his lips were parted ever so slightly as he tried to catch his breath… if Jisoo didn’t look away soon, he might lose his mind, but he thought that if these were the circumstances, then he might just be okay with that. The thing that truly left him glued to the other, however, had to be their hearts beating against one another with their chests pressed flush together (save for the many jackets separating them, of course).

 

    Perhaps, Jisoo thought, he could learn to like the snow.