95 Line; "Chills"

25 Days of Shipmas

    Seventeen was provided with a nice accomodation.

 

    Perhaps a bit on the small side for all thirteen boys, but they made it work. The decorations were a bit bland, but they had the necessities. It wasn’t the newest place, but all the appliances worked just fine.

    

    It was hardly glamorous, yet it was still far from shabby. It was… nice.

 

    Things moved smoothly throughout the dorm, with each member easily completing the tasks assigned to them. Hansol emptied the dishwasher, Jeonghan bought the groceries, Jihoon made the beds, so on and so forth. They were a well oiled machine, everything working exactly as it should.

 

    That was, of course, until something out of their control was broken.

 

    It was the middle of the night when things began to go wrong. In one of the few rooms of the dorm, two mattresses had been pushed flush against one another, creating a space that was just large enough for the three eldest members to sleep on. It was hardly as though they spread out, anyway - they were snuggled together as closely as they could be, Jeonghan and Seungcheol on the sides with Jisoo, the youngest of the three, sandwiched between them. It was quite the cozy setup for the easily made cold Jisoo, especially with the icy weather outside. Rather, it was cozy, at least until the heat in the dorm suddenly shut off.

    

    Jeonghan and Seungcheol had continued to sleep peacefully, as though nothing at all had happened. The two were, after all, much like human heaters themselves - it seemed that they never got cold.

 

    Jisoo certainly noticed, though. Nearly as soon as the temperature began to drop (though he supposed that plummet may have been a word far more befitting), he was already awake, eyebrows furrowing as he tried to understand the source of his sudden discomfort. When a chill suddenly ran down his spine, he was aware of what was happening. While his instinct was to get up from bed and check the thermostat, it didn’t take particularly long for him to realize that he was far too hopelessly entangled with the two older boys to even think about getting out of ed. A sigh leaving his lips, it was all that he could do to settle back into his previous position. His skin was ice cold, though, like snow pressed against Seungcheol and Jeonghan’s heat. As warm as they were, though, it couldn’t make up for the steadily dropping temperature of the air around him, and he soon began to shiver, shaking against the boys beside him.

 

Jeonghan was the next to wake, instantly growing aware that something wasn’t right with the American boy. “Jisoo?” he whispered, voice hoarse as he whispered against the younger’s ear. “Are you alright?”

 

    The younger nodded, Jeonghan aware of the motion by the feeling of his hair rubbing against his forehead. “I’m fine,” he whispered back, “just cold.”

 

    As Jeonghan grew increasingly more coherent, he began to understand what it was that he was saying. Now that he mentioned it, the room really had grown cold - and if his mind wasn’t just playing tricks on him, it seemed to be growing even colder by the second. He couldn’t wrap his head around why, though; they kept the thermostat set relatively high for the sake of all the twig thin members of the band who shivered at so much as a gust of wind, so there was no reason that it should feel like winter indoors. Even Jeonghan was beginning to grow a little bit uncomfortable.

 

    “I think the something’s wrong with the heater,” came the gruff voice from behind Jisoo, announcing that the leader had also been awoken, either by the cold or by the voices of the others. “I’ll go check it out.”

 

    The blankets rustled briefly before the weight on the other side of the bed was gone, Joshua whining softly at the sudden loss of heat. He scooted even closer to Jeonghan to make up for it, the latter wrapping his arms around him and pulling him in as tightly as he could.

 

    “You’re like a baby,” laughed Jeonghan, ruffling Jisoo’s hair with one hand. “So needy.”

 

    “It’s cold!” Protested the younger, though he didn’t make any efforts to deny the comparison. “I can’t get comfortable when it’s freezing!”

 

    This simply elicited another laugh from Jeonghan, the boy in question placing a quick kiss on Jisoo’s forehead. “You’re too cute.”

 

    “It’s broken,” came the sigh from Seungcheol, indicating that he had reentered the room. He was quick to crawl beneath the covers once more, the others glad to feel the dip in other side of the mattress as Seungcheol quickly reclaimed his position behind Jisoo, wrapping his arms around his waist so that both elder boys were holding him against themselves. “We won’t be able to do anything about it until the morning, so we’re just going to have to tough it out.

 

    “Morning?” Jisoo repeated, disbelief evident in his voice. He understood that there was no way they could call someone out to fix it with as late as it was, but still - he couldn’t endure the cold for however much longer it would take. He’d freeze right to the bone.

 

    “Sorry, Jisoo,” Jeonghan pouted, feeling the younger’s pain along with him. “Just stay close with us, okay? We’ll keep you warm.”

 

    To emphasize his point, Seungcheol pressed a kiss to the back of his ear, earning a slight giggle in response. “You don’t cuddle us enough anyway - it won’t kill you to snuggle up once in a while.”

 

    Jisoo would’ve responded, but another shiver seemed to be enough of an answer. Even his nose felt icy now, the sensation not pleasant in the slightest.

 

    “You really are something, you know?” laughed Seungcheol, and it was with a sigh that he pulled himself away again (Jisoo was really getting tired of Seungcheol getting out of bed so much). “Come on, get up for a second.”

 

    With nothing better to do, Jisoo did as was told, shaking violently once he was free of the blankets, only a t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants to warm him. The problem was quickly solved by Seungcheol, though, who grabbed a hoodie from the closet and took it upon himself to dress Jisoo in it.

 

    “There,” he said, admiring his handiwork. “Now you won’t be cold. Let’s go back to bed, alright?”

 

    Jisoo nodded, grateful for the newfound warmth (and, though he wouldn’t admit it, the smell of Seungcheol clinging to him now), crawling back beside Jeonghan with Seungcheol just behind him.

 

    “Yah, you’ll make me jealous if you only pay attention to each other,” Jeonghan teased, prompting Seungcheol to lean around Jisoo and give him a quick kiss before settling back down, he and Jeonghan both holding tightly onto Jisoo.

 

    “Goodnight, Jisoo,” Jeonghan whispered sweetly, echoed by Seungcheol (and, of course, their good nights to one another).

 

    “Goodnight, Jeonghan, Seungcheol,” Jisoo answered, smile etched upon his lips.


    Maybe the heater breaking wasn’t such a bad thing in the end after all.