Soonseok; "Hot Chocolate"

25 Days of Shipmas

    There are some people in this world that can’t be described by mere words, whose very beings transcend the limitations of human language. Try and try as one might, they will never be able to find the right words to capture the essence of such flawless people. The only hope of expressing them comes in the form of abstract concepts; through oddities and emotions, perhaps, they may be conveyed.

    

    That was how Kwon Soonyoung came to the conclusion that Lee Seokmin was a cup of hot chocolate.

 

    The revelation had come to him first in a setting that was most definitely befitting of such a thought. December was in full swing outdoors, sub-freezing temperatures assaulting anyone who dared leave the comfort of their own homes and the sun hidden somewhere far behind the cover of grey amassing in the sky. The grass was nearly tinted blue thanks to the thin layer of frost covering it, and every once in awhile, one could catch a glimpse of a snowflake or two tumbling down, slipping from the confines of the clouds. A few children and the like played outside, but the wise ones seeked shelter inside. Soonyoung, for once in his life, was one of the sane ones, opting to hide indoors from the winter shown to him just outside his window. The only reason he had chosen to remain inside, however, was the presence of Seokmin, so perhaps he wasn’t quite as sound in his sanity as he may have seemed.

 

    Just as Soonyoung was beginning to feel Seokmin’s absence, as if on cue, the man in question emerged from the kitchen, brandishing a mug in each hand and walking with the utmost care.

 

It didn’t go unnoticed by Soonyoung that he moment the other reentered the room, he began smiling again.

 

    “Hot chocolate, hot chocolate!” Seokmin sang excitedly, trademark grin displayed proudly across his face as he gradually made his way over ever so carefully setting both mugs down on the table in front of Soonyoung. The latter laughed at his antics, joining him in his song before too long. Once the cups were steady in their places, Seokmin reclaimed his spot on the couch beside Soonyoung. Soonyoung scooted over just a few inches - a barely detectable transition, but one that allowed him to faintly feel the soft heat radiating from the other boy.

 

    He was all too eager to grab his mug and drink it down to the very last drop. On days such as that one, there was nothing quite so perfect as a cup of hot chocolate, and that fact was made doubly true by the fact that it had been prepared by Seokmin. In his haste, however, he failed to account for the fact that the cup was quite literally steaming, and he let out a sharp yelp as the drink touched his tongue, immediately setting the cup back down and jumping as far away from it as the limited space of the couch would allow.

 

    Seokmin was startled at first; such a sound was generally atypical of the blonde. Upon discovering the purpose behind it, however, he soon burst into laughter at the spectacle. He could always leave it up to Soonyoung to put on a show - after all, he wasn’t the leader of the performance unit for nothing.

 

    Soonyoung pouted first. He was in pain, how could Seokmin laugh? He could only keep up his front for so long, however. Within mere seconds, he began to crack, corners of his mouth twitching every so slightly upwards before he finally broke into a full on smile, laughing just as openly as Seokmin.

 

    He didn’t know what it was, but something about Seokmin’s laughter was just so inescapably contagious. The very instant that he opened his mouth, one could already feel their heart lightening, their concerns flying straight out the window. It could only be described as music to Soonyoung’s ears, and quite easily his favorite song, at that.

 

    When Soonyoung began to laugh, Seokmin laughed even harder. It was a chain reaction, both growing increasingly louder and more forceful, each egged on by the other. They were certainly laughing far too hard for such a small incident, but neither cared - they had reached the point that they were laughing more and themselves and at one another than at the initial catalyst.

 

A solid five minutes of nothing but laughter (and not light gigglers, either; full out howling, tear-jerking hysterics), they were finally able to calm down to an extent, though their tired smiles were still evident as they tried to catch their breath.

 

    “You’re an idiot,” Seokmin informed Soonyoung once able to finally get the words out.

 

    It was all that Soonyoung could do to give a lopsided grin in response. “Yeah, I am.”

 

    The older was startled, however, when Seokmin threw an arm around his shoulders, pulling him tightly against himself and teasingly saying, “But you’re my idiot!”

 

    And Soonyoung swore he saw stars.

 

    Perhaps it was an epiphany of sorts, a kind of enlightenment. Whatever it was called, in that moment, he just knew.

 

    He knew why the sun rose and set, why the wind blew, why people said that they were in love. All at once, everything just made sense.

 

    Time and time again, he heard people romanticizing hot chocolate. Such a simple, insignificant thing, and yet they managed to make it sound magnificent. There was nothing better than a steaming cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter night, they always said. It would, in theory, warm one’s heart in addition to their body - a whimsical yet endearing thought that Soonyoung had never really paid much mind to in the past. But if hot chocolate was meant to be the end game of happiness, why was it that without any more than a sip (and a scalding one, at that), he already felt like he was standing on top of the world?

 

    The obvious answer was that he was with Seokmin.

 

    Clearly, he decided, that meant that Seokmin was his ‘hot chocolate’, his warmth amid the winter. He was the reason that he smiled. There was nothing else that could’ve made him feel quite so happy, quite so light. Perhaps it had taken him a bit too long to realize, but Soonyoung was certain in his conclusion, certain that Seokmin was his ‘nothing better’.


    And, he noted, if Seokmin was the hot chocolate, then Soonyoung had to be the mug.