Jeongcheol; "Ice Skating"

25 Days of Shipmas

    Ice skating was yet another of those tasks that was, in theory, quite simple; one only had to lace up their skates and go, theoretically. Of course, things rarely went as they were intended to in theory. To one who had been doing so all their life, skating was a mind numbingly basic task, really. It was like second nature; gliding across the ice felt just as easy - if not more so - than walking across the floor. To one who had never so much as attempted the activity, though, the concept was entirely foreign, and the very idea of it was daunting. Roller skating was no big deal - but ice skating? That was something different entirely. Such was the dilemma of Yoon Jeonghan and Choi Seungcheol.

 

    Jeonghan was certainly no stranger to the ice - skating was a hobby that he had adopted at a young age and never abandoned. It wasn’t as though he was a top class skater; he just knew his way around the ice. Seungcheol, on the other hand, had never so much as laced up a skate in his life, nor did he ever anticipate doing so. Ice skating just wasn’t his thing, he had claimed. In truth, he was (quite irrationally) terrified of the idea, but it wasn’t as though he was ever planning to admit that.

 

    He had every intention of staying as far away from the ice as he could for the rest of his life, but when one’s supermodel-gorgeous boyfriend asks them to do something with them, it’s really just shy of impossible to resist. As such, Seungcheol soon found himself sitting beside Jeonghan on a bench in the nearest ice rink, skates laced and fear in his heart.

 

    “Are you okay?” asked Jeonghan, concern evident in his voice at the sight of his boyfriend with all color drained from his face. “We can go back to the dorm if you’re not feeling well.”

 

    “No, no, I’m fine,” Seungcheol assured him, ever the gentleman as he waved away the other’s concerns. If there was one thing he didn’t like, it was his boyfriend worrying about him. “Shall we go?”

 

    Jeonghan smiled, seemingly satisfied with Seungcheol’s empty words, much to the latter’s relief. “Alright! Come on, then.” The long haired boy stood easily, as balanced as he would’ve been had he been wearing normal shoes as opposed to skates. He extended a hand expectantly to Seungcheol, eagerly waiting for him to accept it and join him.

 

    Seungcheol sighed; there was no way he could back out now. Taking a deep breath to steel his nerves, he accepted Jeonghan’s outstretched hand, allowing the younger to pull him to his feet. He felt unstable from the moment that he stood, wobbling already from the shift in his weight alone. Jeonghan steadied him, though, placing one hand on his shoulder and still holding his hand with the other. The first few steps were rough; his legs shook, steps landing more on the sides of the blades than on the edges, but with Jeonghan’s support (both physical and verbal), they slowly became more sure, and he was soon able to walk more or less normally. “This isn’t that bad,” he said, sounding utterly and completely mystified, as though a whole new world had been opened up to him.

 

    This just elicited a laugh from Jeonghan. “We’re not even on the ice yet.”

 

    It seemed that Seungcheol had forgotten that the entire point of ice skating was, in fact, to skate on the ice. He had been building up his confidence, feeling good with his ability to walk, but once he remembered that he was not yet on the ice, any shred of previous self-assuredness was instantaneously lost, his face falling once more. It was then that Jeonghan began to understand the situation, and he couldn’t stop the light laugh from falling briefly from his lips. “Seungcheol, are you scared?”

 

    Seungcheol was quite to shake his head, denying the accusation. “I’m not!” He insisted, though perhaps a bit too fervently for his denial to be seen as inconspicuous. At the knowing look from Jeonghan, the heat in his cheeks flared up and he muttered, “Okay, fine. I’m scared.”

 

    Jeonghan smiled, leaning over and pressing a brief, chaste kiss to the elder’s cheek. “There’s no need to be scared,” he assured him, voice as soft and gentle as ever. “I’m here with you, okay? I won’t let you fall. Trust me.”

 

    Seungcheol grinned like a kid in a candy shop - there was nothing that made him happier than Jeonghan being affectionate with him. He cupped the younger’s cheek, pulling him in for a cliche kiss of his own this time (on the lips, of course - Seungcheol was a romantic). “How did I get lucky enough to have you?” He asked once pulling away, resting his forehead against Jeonghan’s. If there was one thing to be said of Seungcheol, it was that he was certainly quite cheesy in his interactions.

 

    Jeonghan giggled, his own face flushing a bit at the interaction before he pulled away. “Let’s go.”

 

    Seungcheol nodded happily, following along as his mind was now entirely empty of anything save for his love for Jeonghan. The younger had done that on purpose, he supposed, to get him onto the ice, but he didn’t really mind. He’d take Jeonghan acting lovey-dovey any time that he could get it.

 

    The first step onto the ice was strange - his foot felt as though it was slipping out from under him, but he didn’t feel as though he was falling - it was like it was meant to be like that. Curious, he then added his second foot, somewhat surprised when the momentum of the movement pushed him forward slightly. He glanced briefly at Jeonghan, as if it check that he saw him moving, and he was met with a laugh. Encouraged, he continued on. It didn’t take him long to discover that walking like usual was not going to work under these circumstances; lifting his feet straight up felt so clunky, so strange. He watched Jeonghan’s movements beside him and tried to mimic those, pushing his feet forwards and just slightly out. Much to his delight, it seemed to work.

 

    From there, he could only get better, taking his chances and speeding up a bit. Jeonghan followed along easily, glad to see Seungcheol loosening up about it, seeing as he looked about ready to die of nervousness beforehand.


    As comfortable as he got, though, he never once let go of Jeonghan’s hand.