Concealed Emotions

Guilty and Chained

It was the start of a new day and Chansung was still sleeping soundly when he felt something touching the side of his face. As his eyelids fluttered open, he was shocked at what he saw. His eyes were drawn into Sooyoung’s eyes. Yet, he didn’t move nor did she. They just sat there, frozen, staring at each other for a while. They glanced at each other features like they just met now, forgetting all what happened between them.

 

When Chansung broke from his reverie, he noticed that Sooyoung was touching his sideburns. He lightly held her hand to stop it, but they were still staring at each other. He noticed how soft her hand is and how it perfectly fit in his.

 

A knock came on his door and without any warning, it was opened. Hyun Ae’s eyes were immediately fixed on them. Too bad, the desk was just right in front of the door.

 

“Kids, the food is rea---what...are you doing?” She was shocked at the scene in front of her. Yet, she was secretly delighted when she saw the two staring at each other like they’re deeply in love. She chuckled as she remembered the time when she was their age.

 

Embarassed that they were caught, Sooyoung immediately thought of an excuse. She pulled her hand from his hold and without further ado, slapped Chansung’s cheek; it wasn’t that hard, just enough to leave a red mark on his cheek.

 

“Ahehehe,.. You see, Eommoni, there’s a mosquito on Chansung’s cheek so I had to kill it...” She smiled nervously and then looked at Chansung who was still quite shocked from the slap he received. She gave him an apologetic look.

 

“Okay Sooyoung, all I’m asking is lock the door if you don’t want me to see those “mosquito-killing” of you two.” She chuckled and proceeded to close the door. “Don’t be long, the food’s gonna get cold.” She called from outside and went down the dinning hall to wait for them.

 

“Eommoni/Eomma!” was all Hyun Ae heard as she reached downstairs.

 

They stood there unmoving. Stealing a glance at each other at the same time, both of them flushed and were as red as a tomato.

 

“I’m sorry I slapped you.” Sooyoung apologized in a soft tone. She looked at Chansung who was still rubbing his cheek.

 

“Ani... Gwenchana. I know you didn’t mean it. I just hope that every time you’ll make an excuse, don’t drag me into it.” Chansung said, shrugging his shoulders.

 

As she looked at him, she noticed the red mark she left on his cheek. Unknowingly, she caressed Chansung’s cheek that she had slapped. Chansung jerked a little at the sudden touch. Why am I feeling so hot now?

 

“I feel so bad now. I didn’t mean to hurt your face, your gorgeous face.” She added the last three in her mind. She mentally scolded herself for not thinking of a better excuse.

 

Chansung started feeling guilty for letting her feel guilty. It’s not completely her fault. It was him who held her hand anyway. “Yah... It’s alright, ahrasso? It’s nothing serious. It’ll cool down in no time.” He removed her hand on his cheek as he assured her in a soft tone to which she only responded a nod.

 

“You two, aren’t you going to go down any minute now? The food’s not getting any warmer.” Hyun Ae called from downstairs, reminding them they had to eat their breakfast.

 

“Let’s go now before Eomma would think of any more weird scenarios in her head.” Chansung said as to break the ice between them. “Um.” She answered and walked towards the door first.

 

The breakfast turned out to be really fun. Hyun Ae was telling Sooyoung about Chansung’s childhood moments. One was about the time he used a banana to defend himself from bullies.

 

“He used it as a gun and the funny thing was that he ate it afterwards in front of them while stating the facts about bananas. He was stating it bite after bite. ‘You know bananas are large berries. They’re rich in starch, fiber, potassium and vitamin C. Beat that!’” Hyun Ae imitated. Sooyoung laughed as she gave Chansung a shove.

 

“Did it work?” Sooyoung asked. “What happened to the bullies?”

 

“Chansung said that they all went home, grabbed all the bananas in their houseand ate it. The next time he saw them, they got bigger, so Chansung got scared and then he never messed with them again.” Hyun Ae shook her head. She laughed as she remembered the moment Chansung came running to her that time Chansung saw the bullies again.

 

Sooyoung practically laughed her heart out after hearing the outcome. “Your plan backfired on you! Hahahaha!” Laughing still as hard while hitting him on the arm, once in a while. Then as if the world landed on her, the laughter vanished like smoke. She got silent when she remembered her childhood.

 

“Oh, dear. What happened, suddenly becoming quiet like that? Are you sick?” Hyun Ae worriedly asked.

 

Chansung noticed the emptiness in her eyes. It was as if she was just a human with no soul. “Yah, piggy..! What’s wrong? Gwenchana??” He sounded rough but he was actually worried too.

 

Sooyoung, snapping back to reality, faked a smile. “A-aniyo, Eommoni. I’m not sick. I-I.. It’s just that I’m already full.” Hyun Ae bought her excuse but she wasn’t convinced.

 

“I’ll just be upstairs, Eommoni. If it’s alright?” She inquired. Hyun Ae smiled lightly and nodded.

 

“Did I do something?”Chansung asked himself. “Go to her, Chan. She might want some company. I’ll take care of the dishes.” He heard his mother say.

 

As he went upstairs, he heard some sobs coming from Sooyoung’s room. He went closer and saw her door slightly ajar and so he peeked. He couldn’t see her clearly so he opened the door a bit wider and that was when he saw her at her most vulnerable.

 

She was on her bed, crouched in a fetal position, crying. And as if all their bickerings didn’t happen, he wanted to go nearer and comfort her. He didn’t know why but it seems seeing her in that state punctured his heart. He said to himself that it’s just that he wasn’t used to seeing her like that and that she is his childhood friend but it was as if he’s getting hurt too.

 

“Hey Choi...” Chansung said as he slowly entered the room and went towards her bed then sat on the edge of it. “I’m sorry I called you piggy. Don’t be mad at me anymore.” She didn’t respond, totally muted.

 

His worry getting the best of him, he laid down closely beside her and faced her. He saw her tear-stricken face and its sight pulled his heartstrings. Where did the fierce and confident Sooyoung go? It was a rare sight. Chansung didn’t understand that she could be this fragile. That was when Sooyoung looked him in the eye and suddenly hugged him. Her eyes were so deep that he felt like he was staring at a dark empty well.

 

Hyun Ae followed suit after Chansung and went to check them in Sooyoung’s room. Chansung forgot to close the door so she was able to see them. They were laying in the bed as Sooyoung cried while she was in Chansung’s embrace as Chansung’s chin resting atop of Sooyoung’s head. She had a sad smile on her face. She didn’t want to see Sooyoung in this kind of state; it broke her heart. She wished to see her usual bright smile. Hyun Ae then decided to give them some privacy and returned to the kitchen.

 

Sooyoung’s tears fell continuously and her embrace tightened. She buried her face on that broad shoulder of his and cried her heart out. “Shhh... It’s alright. Uljima... Everything’s fine.” Chansung said as he hugged her back, comforting her even if he didn’t know the cause of her sorrow.

 

“I can hear their voices... They said I’m worthless and that nobody would love me...They said it was I that hindered them from reaching their dreams that’s why they left. I’m a hateful person.” Sooyoung said as the tears flowed from her swollen eyes, her hair all over her face. Chansung was surprised as Sooyoung said these words. Now, he wondered about her past and how bad it was.

 

He pulled her closer to him and hugged her tighter. “You’re not worthless. A lot of people are there for you. Your kids love you and your comrades. They all love you.” He said, as he wiped the tears on her face. “And me... Yah. Where did that come from??? BABO! Or it might be because you were good friends with her back then!”

 

“I might not know those who left you but they might have a reason why they did that, but it also doesn’t mean you’re a hateful person. It’s their loss they left you.” He continued.

 

“I don’t want people to leave me again, Chansung. It’s hard being alone. It hurts.” Sooyoung said as her sobs stopped. That was the first time he heard her say his name in the most casual way; he didn’t know why but it sounded really pleasant in his ears.

 

“Don’t worry, I believe it won’t happen ever.” He said, calming her for the last time. I promise.

 

“You know what, you sound like someone.” Sooyoung mentioned, wiping her tears away. She suddenly remembered what her mentor told her regarding her unwanted past.

 

“Sooyoung, not all people leave because because they want to, sometimes they leave because they have to. In our lives, people make us happy by either coming or by leaving. Not because some people left you, it means the whole world did. In the future, you’ll meet better people that are willing to stay with you forever. You’re a wonderful young lady, one day you’ll realize that a lot of people love you. Don’t worry, I promise that I’ll always be there for you no matter where you are.” Daehyun said as he gave the younger one a pat on the head.

 

“Who?”

 

“A mentor of mine. Unfortunately, he already left me too. But, it wasn’t his will.” Sooyoung smiled fondly upon remembering her mentor’s words. Chansung noticed the hint of happiness in Sooyoung’s eyes and wondered how a person could make her smile like that. It was the first time he saw her innocence and the young inquisitive side he never knew Sooyoung has. She must have a lot of respect for him.

 

She then gazed at Chansung and for a moment there, she saw her mentor in him. For that brief second, they looked so much alike.

 

He didn’t notice her gazing and proceeded to talk, “Where did he go?”

 

“Up there, with God” Sooyoung pointed upwards. Chansung gazed at her and smiled upon seeing that she’s back to her old self. However, he felt a bit sad too because she’s back to her old self-the side he can’t handle very well.

 

“I guess he met my mentor too.” Chansung remarked. “I bet your mentor was bickering with my mentor telling how you’re such a hard-headed girl.”

 

“I doubt it. I’m a good kid. I bet your mentor hates you for being an airhead.” Sooyoung laughed while wiping her tears. Chansung gave her a look but both of them chuckled afterwards.

 

“Thank you. Now, I think that this mission really has a chance.” Sooyoung said as she sat back up on the bed and so did Chan.

 

“Maybe you’re not that bad as I think you are.” She added as she gave him a pat on the shoulder.

 

Chansung smiled as he recalled his words last night. It was exactly the same.

 

“But I think you’re not that good either.” Sooyoung added, smiling. The smile on Chansung’s face fell and was replaced by a scowl.

 

“Aish. Jjinja. I’m leaving. Take a look at yourself in the mirror, you look like Sadako with that hair of yours everywhere in that tear-stained face.” He countered then huffed and proceeded towards the door.

 

“Why is he taking everything so seriously? I was just kidding.” Sooyoung shook her head lightly. She noticed how he was right, her hair was sticking on her face because of her tears.

 

After the emotional encounter with Sooyoung, Chansung left her in her room so she could compose herself. He went to her mother who was still in the kitchen and back-hugged her.

 

“Oh, Chansung-ah, is Sooyoungie alright? What happened?” Hyun Ae inquired.

 

“Neh, she’s alright. You don’t need to worry. She was just a bit feeling under the weather and she didn’t want you to worry,” was what Chansung gave as an excuse.

 

“I’m glad she’s fine. Chan-ah, why don’t you take her out today? The weather’s just great. She might feel better, don’t you think?” It wasn’t because of matchmaking that she was asking her son to take her out. She sincerely wished for Sooyoung to cheer up for she never wants to see her like that again.

 

“Algesseoyo, Eomma. Do you not want to tag along?”

 

“I still have something to do. You go and enjoy the day with Soo-ah. Make her happy, ahrasso?”

 

“Ye, Eomma. Alright, I’m gonna go and prepare now.” With that, Chansung went upstairs to tell Sooyoung of today’s plan.

 

*Knock, knock* Sooyoung heard. “Jamkanmanyo.” She answered and went to open the door.

 

“Oh, what brings you here again, Chansung-ssi?”

 

“Just got to tell you we’ll go out so go and prepare yourself. No buts. It’s Eomma’s request so I had no choice.”

 

“Mr. Hwang, if you’re going to invite me out, at least make it realistic. No need to tell me you were forced.” She said and slammed the door in front of him. Why was she disappointed when he told her it was just Eommoni’s request. Tch. She didn’t know why but it just irked her. That’s when she remembered.

 

 

“How the hell am I suppose to get ready when I don’t have a single belonging with me??? I wouldn’t dare use the one I used last night in broad daylights. Aish. So frustrating.” Just then, her phone rang. It was Kwonnie.

 

“Yes, Kwon. What do you need?” She asked as soon as she picked up the call.

 

“We’re here in front of the Hwang household right now, Ms. Choi. We figured that you’ll need a change of fresh clothes.” Kwon told her.

 

“She peeked through her window and it was no joke. They were really there outside, carrying a traveling suitcase with a set of clothes she figured would last for even a month. She smiled at their gesture; they were indeed her family. They know what each other thinks or needs even up to the minute details. Sooyoung then rushed down to meet them.

 

“Thanks, Kwonnie. You four are the best.” She then hang up on him and hurriedly proceeded down to open the door for them.

 

 

As soon as she opened the door, she was delighted to see her four best buddies: Kwon, Jinwoon, Seulong and Changmin. They all greeted her with their bright smiles and all together greeted her, “Saeng-il chukhahaeyo, Ms. Choi!”

 

She was surprised! She forgot it was her birthday today but they didn’t. Tears threatened to fall from her eyes but she forced them not to. She was indeed touched. Every year, without fail, they wouldn’t forget her birthday.

 

“And we bet that you will be happy to see whom we brought with us.” Changmin pointed the van outside the house.

 

“You didn’t...” Sooyoung muttured as she went closer to the van.

 

“Happy Birthday, Eomma!” Hyomin and the three boys launched all together at her and hugged her. Luckily, she didn’t stumble down. It was then that she let her tears fall.

 

“Jjinja... Wah.. jeongmal jjinja.. Gomawo, Hyomin-ah, boys! And you too there, my buddies.” As soon as the laughter died down, Sooyoung remembered that she still need to prepare herself so she excused herself and proceeded to ask them to wait for her in the living room.

 

As soon as he got out of the shower and put some clothes on, he went downstairs for he heard some noise.

 

“What’s with the commotion?” He asked as he climbed down the stairs. There he saw her four loyal subjects and the kids from the orphanage. “What are they doing here?” He asked, pointing a finger at her visitors.

 

 

“Yah! Don’t be rude and go pointing fingers at them. They’re here for me. Oh, I’ve thought of an idea. Can we have them tag along?”

 

He sighed. “Hayyy... What is this mess I got myself into?” “Guess there’s no helping it then.” He examined her and saw her still unprepared.

 

“Won’t you hurry up and prepare??” He asked her through gritted teeth. “Yah. I just had my baggage brought here, what made you think I already prepared when I didn’t have even a piece of fresh clothing a while ago??” She retorted.

 

“Ahrasso, ahrasso...Aish.. Just hurry up.” “Girls...” He muttered under his breath.

 

Hyun Ae also came down from hearing the noise. “Oh, who are these people?” A smile on her face. Chansung and Sooyoung looked at her.

 

“Ah.. They’re my colleagues from work, Eommoni. They were here for some files for the school they needed. And these kids were the ones from the orphanage the last time. I’m sorry for being so loud, Eommoni.” Sooyoung explained.

 

“It’s okay, dear. No need to apologize. By the way, I’m gonna go out first, I’ve got something to do. Don’t forget to lock the doors and windows when you leave.” She said and kissed Sooyoung’s cheek and Chansung’s too. “Bye son, Soo-ah.” She bid and finally left.

 

After preparing herself, Sooyoung went downstairs on her casual clothes, a simple floral blouse and a shorts.

 

“Let’s go.” She said nonchalantly as she grabbed her purse and headed outside. Chansung rolled his eyes as he followed, locking the doors behind him.

 

“Eomma, can I come with you?” Hyomin emerged as soon as Sooyoung went out of the house. She bent down to pick her up and smiled.

 

“They said that we won’t fit inside the van so they said I could join you.” Hyomin said as she pointed towards Chansung’s car.

 

Chansung was looking at her when his mouth dropped open. Sooyoung was staring at him, waiting for his answer.“Okay, I’ll bring my car.” Chansung sighed as he went away to get his car. Of course, he’s the driver. Except now, there is a kid.

 

As soon as Chansung prepared the car, Sooyoung settled Hyomin’s child seat on the back and lifted the little girl afterwards.

 

“You’re going to be okay, Hyomin-ah?” Sooyoung asked, buckling the kid’s seat belt.

 

Hyomin responded with a nod and a thumbs up. Sooyoung then sat on the front, beside Chansung. Chansung glanced back at Hyomin to check her. He was shocked when he saw that she was smiling at him and waving at the same time. He can’t help but to smile back.

 

Everyone would’ve thought they are a real perfect family. Chansung then revved the engine. As they drove their way down the road, Chansung asked Sooyoung.

 

“Where do you want to go, by the way?” Glancing at her through the rearview mirror.

 

Instead of hearing the soft and serene voice of Sooyoung, he heard a high-pitched, cute little voice, owned by none other than Hyomin.

 

She giggled excitedly on her seat and answered in behalf of Sooyoung. “Shopping mall!!!” 

 

Chansung saw the excitement in her and that made him grin, “Is that where you wanna go, little missy? Well then, let’s go to the mall.”

 

Sooyoung raised her left brow and stared at Chansung as he drove them to the mall, “Chansung...ssi... Are you sick? Do you have a fever? What’s with the sudden change of attitude?”

 

“Sudden change of attitude? What do you mean?” Chansung glanced at her at the edge of his eyes.

 

“You’re a bit too nice today.” Sooyoung muttered as she shrugged her shoulders.

 

“I’ve always been a nice guy, Sooyoung-ssi.” Chansung said, faking a smile.

 

Little did they know, Hyomin was actually listening to them. Being the tease she was, she decided to play with them.

 

“Are~ you~ two~ da~ting?~” Hyomin said in a very charming singsong tone while fluttering her eyelashes beautifully.

 

Chansung and Sooyoung’s little banter stopped upon hearing what Hyomin had said. Both became flustered and because of that they hurriedly tried to defend their stand. However, they failed to convince her for the both of them stammered real hard.

 

“Da..dating? Choi Hyomin, w-where did you learn that?”

 

“H-huh? O-of course not! We’re .. we’re just... we’re just.. good friends! Right?” Chansung nervously laughed it off.

 

“Yeah.. right! Friends.. good friends! Chansung-ssi and I are just good friends!” Sooyoung assisted Chansung on his alibi and patted his shoulder to show their so-called good friendship.

 

Unknowingly, Chansung’s right hand came together with Sooyoung’s left. Hyomin just laughed at their antics.

 

“Eomma, you’re not a good liar. *giggles* If you’re just good friends then why did you tell me that only couples hold hands? What’s this?” Hyomin ended her statement with her little index finger pointing to their glued hands.

 

“This...Hmm..Chansung-ssi was just getting his coffee.”

 

“Yeah, I was just getting my coffee.”

 

“Thanks, Sooyoung.”

 

“Yeah, right, Eomma. He was just about to drink a non-existent coffee in that empty cup.” Hyomin pointed out the obvious truth. They had nowhere to escape.

 

Both just facepalmed, “Just... stay on your seat, sweetheart,” the little girl heard Sooyoung say with a nervous laugh.

 

Hyomin sweatdropped. “Aigoo, these adults are giving me a headache. And I’m just four.” Hyomin shook her head in disbelief. She was the one who was suppose to be facepalm-ing not them.

 

“You’re really not good at making excuses.” Chansung whispered as turned his head back to the road.

 

“As if you’re any better,” Sooyoung replied in a nonchalant way.

____________________________________________________________________

 

Junhyo’s A/N: Here’s another chapter for you, our dear readers. We hope you like it. Oh, btw, we want to hear your thoughts so please comment. It is also what motivates us to write. Thank you again. :D

 

Loveisyam: Uh. This chapter took so much time for us to end it but it was fun overall. Hmm. I don’t know what’s coming up next so please stay tuned! Please comment, we want to hear your opinions!