The Little Girl and The Boys

Guilty and Chained

 

Chansung got bored sitting on the bench waiting for her mother. He wasn’t a bit worried about her even though she was already late just from buying ice cream in the convenient store nearby. He knew that his mother had many acquaintances and therefore, she might have had met them on the way there or on her way back to the park. He was used to it. Knowing well that her mom would take a bit more time to get back, he decided to take a stroll at the big grounds of the park.

 

Everything was so different for him. The trees, benches, and lamp posts looked somehow new to him even though it was there all these years. There were more people he thought, but he felt that it was still empty and at that moment he knew he was missing someone. As he was contemplating on the serenity of his surroundings, he heard small laughs nearby so he turned around to its direction.

 

He followed the soft noise he heard. It lead him to the area near the secluded part of the park. He never knew there was still a mini playground hidden inside. There he saw some children playing tag. So that was where the small laughs came from. Watching them from afar, a nostalgic smile crept up his face.

 

However, as he continued watching the little kids, a sudden outcry broke the peacefulness. One of the kids fell down as she was being chased; she tripped over a stone. Chansung, being the kind-hearted he is and having fast reflexes, rushed immediately to the crying toddler.

 

“Are you okay? Let me see. Where does it hurt?” The girl pointed to her left knee. She scraped it when she fell, so it was bleeding a little. The other kids gathered around her but upon seeing that someone was already helping her, they started playing again.

 

Chansung got his handkerchief and tore it into two. He used the first half to clean the wound. He was blowing it whenever the little girl winced. When finished, he used the other one to cover the wound.

 

Patting the head of the child, he said in a gentle tone. “Now, now.. Stop crying already, ahrasso? It will hurt more if you don’t stop crying.” and flashed a smile after.

 

She sniffed as her sobs died down. “Thank you.” The girl whispered as she wiped her tears with the back of her hand. Chansung smiled as he picked the girl up, placing her on his arm.

 

“Where are your parents, sweetie?” Chansung asked, his attention was on the girl who was staring back at him.

 

The girl glanced around the surroundings and pointed towards Chansung’s direction. Then as a silhouette appeared, the girl became ecstatic so she clapped her tiny hands together.

 

“Eomma!” The little girl reached her arms out. Chansung turned around to look for the woman the little kid was calling, but the sun was set out directly on them that it blinded his sight for a few seconds.

 

When he regained his normal vision, a lady in a floral dress appeared. She was wearing a cardigan on top of his mid-thigh dress. Her hair was tied in a half bun, the ends of her straight hair was resting on her shoulders. She was kinda familiar, he said to himself, just that he couldn’t pinpoint where and when he met her. There was also a little boy in her arms, blocking his view of her face, so he couldn’t be too sure either. He turned his attention back to the little girl in his arms, making his back facing the toddler’s supposed to be mom.

 

“Hyomin-ah!” The woman called. She quickly hastened to his side as soon as she heard the little girl called her.

 

Chansung furrowed his eyebrows when he heard her voice. He knew that voice, the voice that shocked the hell out of him, only that it was much sweeter than the last time he heard of it. He chuckled, there is no way that she would be that lady. It would be too good to be true. She was a leader of a gangster and not a mother to this lovely child or something along those lines.

 

“It’s not possible...or is it?” Chansung asked himself.


 

As the lady got closer to them, Hyomin, excited to see her “eomma” back, jumped off Chansung’s arms, forgetting her injured knee. She winced in pain when she landed, the impact was a bit too much to her hurt knee. She cried once more.

 

The woman hurried to her side. “Omo, Hyomin-ah! Stop crying, what happened to you? Hush now.” She hugged Hyomin trying to soothe her. This time, Chansung decided to face the lady.

 

 

“She fell down a while ago while playing tag and hurt her left knee. I managed to stop her from crying but upon seeing you, she jumped off my grasp, forgetting she was injured.” Chansung explained to the woman who was trying to shush her “child”.

 

 

“Thank you so much, Mr.” The lady looked up and  upon seeing who it was, a sly smile appeared on her lips. “Mr?” Chansung didn’t get a chance to see her face yet for his attention was on Hyomin when her “mom” looked up to him.

 

“Hwang...Hwang Chansung.” Wait, this seemed to have happened already. Deja vu? He outstretched his hand for a shake. The lady stood up and shook his hands with hers.

 

“I’m Sooyoung. CHOI Sooyoung.” The lady emphasized her last name. His head shot up to face her, his eyes wide. When he released her hand, his mind went chaotic. It can’t be her. No way.

 

Before he could speak and question her, another voice interrupted them. “Omo, Chansung-ah. I’ve been searching for you like for who knows how long already. I thought you’ve gone home. You were just here.” Hyun Ae said, not noticing the lady in front of his son.

 

“And you’re with...” Hyun Ae smiled widely as she realized that her son was talking to no other than to what she hopes would be her future daughter-in-law. “Sooyoung-ah!”

 

Sooyoung smiled as she gave Hyun Ae a hug as if they didn’t just meet a few minutes ago.

 

“You know her?” Now he was beyond confused. His mother knows her? How?

 

“Oh, Eomoni. So, this is your son you were talking about a while ago?” Sooyoung glanced at Chansung then at Hyun Ae.

 

“Yes, yes, my dear. This is my son, Chansung. So, how did you two know each other?” The sparkle in Hyun Ae’s eyes couldn’t be hidden. She was eager to know how they knew each other.

 

“Wait, wait, wait, WAIT! I think you’re forgetting that I’m here too, Eomma. How did you know this girl? I’m supposed to be asking you that.” Chansung used his signature pout.

 

“I’m sorry, son. You see, Sooyoung here was your childhood friend. She was the daughter of my best friend, Soojin. You might not remember anymore because you two were still young when you hang out together. They moved out of the town before the two of you went to middle school.”

 

“Okay, how about we eat dinner at home later so we could talk about what happened to the both of you.” Hyun Ae suggested as she  looked at the two figures in front of her. Her heart can’t contain the happiness she was feeling upon seeing her son with Sooyoung.

 

“As much as I would like to have dinner at your place, Eomoni, I still have to take these children back to the orphanage.” Sooyoung said as she pointed the little kids who were still busy playing in the mini playground in the corner.

 

Hyun Ae, her matchmaking skills in active mode, made a move. “Chansung-ah, why don’t you accompany Sooyoung-ah and the kids back to the orphanage. It’s dangerous for her to be alone with these kids. You could also give her a helping hand and have some catching up while you're on your way there.” Chansung sensed what his mother was plotting. Sighing, he said, “It couldn’t be helped.” He didn’t want to disappoint Hyun Ae and he also really needed to ask some questions to this woman beside him.

 

“Okay. I’ll go ahead and cook our dinner. See you at home.” Hyun Ae said as she gave the two a couple of goodbye kisses on the cheeks.

 

As soon as she left, Sooyoung gathered the kids and they walked over to a nearby van. Chansung watched as Sooyoung helped the kids settle on their seats.

 

“I’ll drive.” He said as he reached his hand out, waiting for the keys to be given to him. Sooyoung reached for her pocket and handed him a pair of keys.

 

“Thanks.” She said as she opened the door of the passenger seat. She glanced once last time at the back, checking if everyone is there. Luckily, no one’s missing.

 

During the travel, Chansung can’t help but to glance at Sooyoung. He still can’t believe that this lady was the one from the other night. On the other hand, Sooyoung was calmly sitting on her seat and once in a while, she will glance back to check over the kids who were all deep in their sleep. She looked like she’ll be a great mom someday. Chansung thought to himself. What the hell am I thinking???

 

Sooyoung carefully woke the kids up when they reached their destination. A few of them slowly hopped down out from the van, they hobbled lazily to the orphanage’s door. On the other hand, Hyomin was still sleeping soundly so Sooyoung sighed as she scooped her into her arms. She was quite heavy and her arms were already a bit tired from carrying Jihoon and Hyomin back there in the park. Chansung noticed this and he got Hyomin carefully in Sooyoung’s arms and placed her in his.

 

Sooyoung looked at her, “What are you doing???” She whisphered so as to not awoke the sleeping child. “Isn’t it obvious? I’m carrying her. You blind or something?” Chansung raised his eyebrow, raising his voice but not louder than a whispher. This guy, ugh! I didn’t know he would be this... this.. ANNOYING! Calm down, Soo-ah, you’ll be the loser if you lose your temper. She sighed. “I’m just asking you know. You don’t have to call me blind.” She half-said, half-shouted. “...just be careful not to wake her up, she hates it when her nap is disturbed.” she added softly, her eyes looking fondly at Hyomin in Chansung’s strong arms.  From a third party’s point of view, they looked like one happy family, caring for their little daughter.

 

Chansung could see how she cares especially to Hyomin. He nodded understandingly, ending their nonsense fight.

 

As Sooyoung silently opened the orphanage’s door, three little boys came running to her.

 

“Omo. Aren’t you going to sleep? It’s already nap time.” Sooyoung said as she bent down to their level and gave them each a kiss on the cheek.

 

“Eomma, we’re big boys now. We don’t need to nap during afternoons anymore.” One of the boys said proudly. “Just have something to ask, Eomma. Who’s this guy? It seems like he’s been with you since the time at the park. And why is he carrying Hyomin? What is he to you, Eomma?” The boys’ scowled, their hands on their waists.

 

“He’s right. Who are you? And why are you with our mom?” The other boy said as he crossed his arms over his chest, his eyes were glued on Chansung’s face.

 

“Stop with the questions, boys. He is Chansung-ssi, just a friend of mine and he decided to carry Hyomin because my arms are tired now but don’t worry Chansung-ssi here is a nice guy.” Sooyoung said as she guided the boys back in the house. The boys nodded but Sooyoung knew very well they were still unconvinced. She giggled at their cute behavior. 

 

Chansung shook his head before he entered the rest of the home. This lady sure does have a lot of people protecting her. Hmp.