The Reason

Guilty and Chained

 

The screeching sound of the marker filled the four corners of the room. It was five in the afternoon and the meeting was still ongoing. Everybody in the room stared at the board with tired eyes; no one dared to raise a comment about their new operation. Gangs, it just bores them. However, that was different for one. His senses were awakened every time they talk about those “damn troublemakers”. He just never grows tired of them, as if he and the gangs were destined to be up against one another.


“I will find them for sure.” He muttered under his breath as he clenched his hands, still listening to their commanding officer. He snapped back into his senses as one of his friend patted his shoulder when the meeting ended.


“Hey Chansung, do you want to eat with us?” His friend, Junsu, asked as he pointed the door with his thumb. Since it’s Chansung, when it comes to food, surely he wouldn’t miss it. He nodded and stood up from his seat.


“Chansung! Wait!” Their chief called his name.



“You’re going to the mission. Be prepared.” A creepy smile appeared on his face as he said those words to him. He knew that Chansung wanted it so badly that he has been bothering him for months now.



“Did I just hear that I’m coming to the mission? The day I’ve been waiting for...” Chansung smiled widely as he bid his farewell to the older man.

 



“What’s with the face?” Junho said as he nudged Chansung who’s grinning from ear to ear.  


“He’s just happy he’ll join the mission tonight.” Taecyeon said, “You know he’s been waiting for that since birth.” The others laughed at Taecyeon’s exaggeration. “Since birth, huh, bro?”


“Why do you like them anyways? Gangs are boring you know. They just always hide when they start hearing our siren. Cowards...” Junho added, as he shrugged his shoulders


“Aren’t the other criminals the same?” Wooyoung interjects.


“I have my own reasons I tend to keep to myself.” Chansung replied nonchalantly. The other guys just chuckled at each other.


“Whatever you say. Just don’t expect us that we’ll be obsess with gangs like you are.” Junho muttered as he stared at Chansung, who was just staring at him intently.


“Junho, stop bothering that fellow, he has ‘his’ own reasons ‘he’ tends to keep to ‘himself’.” Taecyeon imitated Chansung’s previous remark which received a couple of laugh from the others.


Chansung rolled his eyes. “Let’s just eat, a’ight? My stomach can’t take it anymore! I’m so hungry already!”


“Yeah, let’s just eat.” Nichkhun said as he eyed Chansung.



“I’m home!” Chansung called as he looked for his mom who was usually home by now.Since his mother was nowhere in sight, he searched for her around the whole house. He then found a sticky note on the fridge left by his mom. It said that she would be a bit late since she would go grocery shopping for their dinner tonight and that they were almost running out of food stocks.


With nothing left to do, he just went upstairs and off to his room. He was more tired than usual since there had been an increase in the number of crimes in the city recently. The cops were trying their best to catch the criminals and solve the cases as soon as possible.


He opened the first few buttons of his uniform that showed a bit of his well-toned chest and was about to unlock his door when his attention was diverted to the ajar door of the masters' bedroom. The room was at the far left corner of the hallway, just 2 rooms away from his. He went to close it, thinking that his mother wasn't able to properly lock it as she was in a hurry. And as he was about to, he caught a glimpse of his late father's picture on the desk.


"Appa," thought he and let himself inside the room. He got the picture and sat on the comfortable bed.


It was over a little four years ago when it happened. Chansung just graduated from his culinary course when he was greeted by the news that his father was already gone. He was killed; murdered by an underground syndicate, a gang who held deep grudge on his father for sabotaging their plans and illegal operations.


It was never his passion to be an officer whose job is to give justice to people but it all changed when that happened. Right after the funeral, he decided to become an ally of justice and seek revenge for the killing of his beloved father.


His eyes, as he stared on to his late father's picture, were full of emotions; longing, sadness, and vengeance. "I promise, appa. I'm gonna find them, find them and let them taste the weight of consequences of what they did to you. I won't stop, not until I find them." He was gritting his teeth as he said those. He held the frame close to his heart, his head bowed and his bangs covering his eyes, silent tears falling.


Four years ago, the once cheerful Chansung vowed to avenge the death of his father.




“Chansung, I’m back!” A familiar voice called from downstairs. He hurriedly placed the picture back on its proper place and ran to greet his beloved mom.


“Eomma,” he called as he gave his mom a kiss on the cheek.


“Hi son, did you perhaps find any girlfriend today?” Her mom playfully asked as she handed Chansung her groceries.


“Not again, Eomma~” He whined. “Give me a break, will you?” His brows furrowed but he had a smile on his lips and a small tint of pink on his cheeks. His mother just giggled at his son’s contradicting reactions.


“You know son, I’m not going to get any younger, that’s why I want to see you getting married.” His mom said as she patted his son’s back. Chansung sighed.


“Eomma, you know I haven’t finished my mission yet.” Chansung paused as he took a glimpse of her mom who was putting up a frown. She just wanted the best for his son.


“Mission...mission...aren’t you tired, Chansung-ah?” Her mom muttered as she took a seat on the nearby sofa. “It’s been four years since that incident and you know your dad, he doesn’t want you to get into further troubles.”


“That’s my reason ,Eomma. I want to give justice to Appa.” Chansung said as he began fixing the groceries on the counter top. His mom just shook her head.


“Okay, I understand. I want to give justice to him too, but the thing is, I don’t want to lose you the way I lost him.” His mom said silently. Chansung felt sad about making his mom sad but it was true-he wanted to find ‘them’.


“Eomma, don’t worry. I’ll be fine, I promise.” Chansung said as he sat beside her, his head on her shoulder.


“Okay...but I’m still not giving up. I want to see you get married okay even to the point I’m going to be the one looking for a wife for you.” His mom, happy again, said as she ruffled Chansung’s hair.


“Okay...you win. I’ll get married.” Chansung said as he faked a smile. Yeah right.


“Yes! Now, can you cook the dinner for tonight? I missed your fried dumplings.” She said as she lightly hugged him. She then pointed to the stacks of groceries on the table.


“Sure Eomma, just for you.” Chansung smiled back at his mom. He was still happy that his mom didn’t lose her charm and happiness even after his father’s death.


“I wish I could be like you Eomma...even though it hurts inside, you don’t let anyone see it.” Chansung whispered to himself as he returned to the kitchen.