A New Addition?

Guilty and Chained

Sooyoung was seating on her chair, looking at some files that the boys delivered to her when Jokwon suddenly interrupted. “Ms. Choi, are you sure about what you did?”


“What do you mean? About my deal with that Hwang guy?” Sooyoung looked up, closing the folders on her desk.


“Yes, are you sure he is not going to betray us?” He asked worriedly as he paced back and forth in front of her.


“I have a feeling he won’t. It seems that he wants to destroy TRS so badly, but I don’t know too. We can’t be sure so just observe him first.” She said as she watched him. She held his wrist abruptly to stop him from walking.


“I’m getting dizzy, Kwon. How about you just sit down there?” She suggested, rubbing her temples.


“Sorry,” he apologized, an embarassed smile on his face. He  nodded before he proceeded to one of the couches where the other guys are playing UNO.


“Skip. Sorry Seulong, it’s Jinwoon’s turn now.” Changmin patted Seulong’s shoulder as he placed the skip card on the stack. Jinwoon laughed as he looked over at his shoulders.


“Woo!” He cheered happily. “Uno!”


The other guys sighed. Jinwoon always wins every time they played this game yet they wonder why they enjoy this than normal card games.


As Sooyoung watched them, her phone vibrated. She picked it up from her pocket and flipped it open. “Hey, I want to talk to you.”


Sooyoung smiled as she heard the voice, the familiar one. “Wow, Mr. Hwang, you’re calling me already. We’ve just separated away from each other hours ago. You miss me already?”


“Cut the crap. I just want to tell you that I have conditions too. You have to deal with it too.” Chansung replied bluntly. He knew he sounded harsh but this is not the time to play with her tricks.


“Oh, I’m scared. Aren’t you a blunt one huh, Mister? Fine. What is it?” She said, fiddling with a pen in hand. As a smirk appeared once more, she wondered how fascinating it was that her plans are unfolding from itself.


“I’ll tell you later. Go and get ready. I’m going to fetch you wherever you are. And prepare all your resources and data you’ve gathered. Text me your location, now.” And before Sooyoung could get to answer him, he already hang up on her.


Sooyoung stared at her phone and screamed, “YAH! Hwang Chansung! You’re so dead! Hanging up on me like that! Aish!” Her pink cheeks blushed from anger. Even so, she still texted Chansung her location. She sighed, frustrated. “Look at that. Looks like someone doesn’t know who I am. Breathe, Sooyoung, breathe. He’s making you lose your composure.”


“Did you see that? Ms. Choi just got angry at someone.” Jinwoon whispered as they stopped their game. They rarely see her tiger-like attitude but this was an exception.


“She still looks hot though. Even more.” Seulong added to which he earned himself a smack on the head, courtesy by none other than Kwon.


“And what was that for??” He inquired. He rubbed his head as he sent Kwon a glare. The other guys just laughed at their bickering.



“We’re talking about Ms. Choi here. Of course she is hot. There is no need to say that. And besides, you’ve said it in a very INAPPROPRIATE tone, babo.”


“Inappropriate...” Jinwoon whispered to Seulong, teasing him.



“Enough of that, boys! I know I’m hot, but you need to prepare the silver suitcase. Input the other data that are not yet inputted there. I need to go somewhere.”


“But Ms. Choi, why the need for the silver suitcase? All of our files are in there. It’s dangerous to bring it anywhere but here.” Kwon asked, worried about what was their leader up to.


“Don’t worry, Kwon. It’ll be in safe hands. Now go and prepare it. I’m not waiting for long. Plus I don’t like the pink one. That one’s cheap.” Kwon just sweatdropped at hearing his master’s excuse. “As you instructed, Ms. Choi.” And the boys then started preparing the silver suitcase.



In no time at all,  a honk was heard in the distance. It was inaudible at first but later it became more resonant and loud.


“Who the hell is that?!” Jo Kwon rose from his seat and proceeded to open the door. Upon seeing what was waiting outside, his eyes almost popped out of it sockets. A new Ford Ranger TDCi was in front of him, but he held his surprise.


“Where is she?” Chansung asked, putting his hands in his pockets. He swallowed as he felt being surrounded by the big guys again yet he regained his composure.


“Ms. Choi, the rude, I mean the handsome officer is here.” Jo Kwon called, his eyes moving from Sooyoung to Chansung. He glanced at him from head to toe, “Tsk. I just can’t help to admit but you are indeed handsome. Woo. Pretty people are surrounding me.” He lightly shook his head as he left him.


“Alright, guys. I need to go now. Carry the suitcase to the back seat.” Sooyoung ordered as she walked towards the car and to the front seat.


She paused before entering the vehicle in front of her, observing its chic features. “What?” Chansung asked.


“You’ve got taste on cars, I see. Nice pick up.“ Sooyoung answered back and as she moved to open the front seat, Chansung again spoke. “Hey, hey, hey... Who told you you’re gonna sit here?”


Sooyoung raised her brow. “And what’s wrong with that, Mr. Hwang, if I’m gonna sit here? You’ve got a problem with that? I’m Choi Sooyoung, you should be happy I’m not seating at the back seat. People might just think you’re my driver if I do. You don’t want that, do you?” She smiled fiendishly, then eventually took the seat.


“Aish! How the hell I’m suppose to explain to her that the seat is reserved just for my future girlfriend and mom might think she’s the one since I allowed her to sit there! Argh..!!” Chansung thought and heaved a troubled sigh. “Fine. Just don’t let my mother see you sitting there.”


“How am I suppose to hide? What’s the big deal anyway if she sees me? I bet she’ll be overjoyed, Mama’s boy.” Sooyoung said, starting to get annoyed. Every guy that asked her to ride their cars have always invited her to have the front seat.


“Yah! Just... just.. Aish. Do whatever you want!” Sooyoung smirked as she saw the flustered face of Chansung.


“Temper, Mister. Temper. We have a long way to go. Trust me, you won’t last if you have that kind of temper.” She chuckled silently as Chansung’s huff was the only answer she got.



No one talked afterwards. Both had a piece of each other’s obnoxious side that they were doubting if they can last.The ride was silent and minutes after, they have arrived. Hyun Ae knew fully well the sound of the engine of the car so she peeked outside to see the car coming. Hyun Ae’s brows met and formed a frown. Her smile gone. Someone was sitting on the front seat. They’re still afar and dark so she couldn’t make out the face of the occupant but oh, boy she was sure it was a lady. She should be happy for his son finally brought home a lady but she wasn’t.


“Aigoo, Chansung-ah. Why let me know that you already have a girlfriend just now when I already wanted Soo to be the one.” She then went to the front porch to welcome his son and his supposed-to-be-girlfriend.


As the girl went out of the car, her red heels was the first thing she saw. When her whole body emerged into the picture, she was displeased. Her clothing was nothing decent like Sooyoung’s. Her hair was let down messily, dangling over her face. “I bet her face was filled with book-thick make up. Soo’s better.”


They didn’t notice Hyun Ae so they resumed their bickering from back then. “Now that I’ve seen you closely, what in hell are you wearing?? And why that kind of hair? You look like a.. a.. whatever!”



“Yah! You’re not one to judge. Who are you to tell me what to wear? You’re not my boyfriend anyway! I know what you were trying to tell me. I’m far from being one.” Sooyoung retaliated.


“Just shut up, okay? Here, use this! I don’t want my mom seeing you like that, she’ll be disappointed.” Chansung answered back and removed his jacket to cover Sooyoung.


Hearing the voice of the lady, as they bickered and walked towards the house, a big grin was slowly making its way to Hyun Ae’s face. Chansung’s action made her happy even more!

 

“Sooyoung, is that you? What happened to your pretty face?” Hyun Ae ambled closely. She touches Sooyoung face and observed it closely. “You stained it with too much make up.”


“Oh Eommoni.” Sooyoung shyly looked away. She glanced at her outfit and returned to meet her eyes. “Oh this? I had to wear these type of clothes and make up because I have a part time job at a bar as a bartender. I’m sorry to disappoint you.”


“You have a part time job at night too? Wow, what a hardworking girl.” Hyun Ae patted her back as she guided her inside the house and gave Chan a knowing look. Chansung just sighed. “Aigoo, this will be a long night.” He said to himself as he scratched the back of his head.



“Sooyoung, what are doing here again? You were just here a few hours ago.” Hyun Ae asked as she gestured Sooyoung to sit down.


“Eommoni, to tell you the truth, can I spend the night here? You see, I asked Chansung that I could go home by myself so I did, but I got stuck in traffic because there was construction going on and my house was still three hours away so I had to go back but then my car broke down so I needed to send it to the car shop. Luckily, Chansung offered that I could stay here for the night.”


Chansung’s eyes were as big as saucers and when he was about to retaliate, he was cut off by Sooyoung’s hidden glare behind the creepy smile she sent his way. “Right, Chansung-ah?”


“Oh darling, how tragic. You drive six hours everyday? That must be hard for you...You know what? I have a great plan. You can live here with us instead. We have a spare room, and it’s beside Chan’s too!” Hyun Ae couldn’t contain her squeal.


“You sure, Eommoni? I think it’s too much for me to ask.”


“Oh, no, no, no, darling. I’ve wanted a daughter for a long time now. And I don’t want you, my best friend’s daughter, to be having a hard time when I could help in any way I can.”


“I don’t know, Eommoni, I think Chansung doesn’t like the idea.” She looked away. Hyun Ae gave her shoulders a light squeeze.


“What makes you think that, Soo? She’s wrong, Chansung, isn’t she?” Chansung noticed the change of tone his mother used when she talked to him and again, with that look. He wanted to refused but it’s been a long time since he saw her mom this energetic and lively.


“Yes, Eomma. She could live with us.” He gave a tiny smile. Deep inside, he was annoyed but once again, he ignored his feelings for his beloved mom.


The night continued as Hyun Ae talked to Sooyoung about her part time job that Sooyoung successfully covered up. As usual, she got tired so she bid her farewell to the other two, leaving Sooyoung and Chansung alone.


“Now what?” Chansung plopped himself on the sofa. Sooyoung, on the other hand, rested her back on the loveseat she was seating on.


“I need to get the suitcase on the back seat. Can you get it for me?” She pointed towards his pick up that was resting outside the house.


“Why me? You’re the one who brought it.” He pointed at himself.


“You’re the guy here. Besides, you’re the one who wanted the files.”


“I didn’t tell you to bring a silver suitcase.” As he crossed his arms, he closed his eyes and rested his head on the sofa.


“Geez. Just help me, will you?” She stood up, heading to the door.




“Gosh, this is heavy. Aren’t you going to help me one bit?” Sooyoung yammered as she slipped the suitcase out from the leather seat.


“No. It’s yours.” He leaned at the car’s hood, watching her suffer. He was satisfied.


“Can’t you be a gentleman for a few minutes?” She asked, trying to lift it up.


“....no.” He shook his head, enjoying this payback moment.


“You’re hopeless.” She said, trying to insert all of her strength to carry it.


“It’s your suitcase so bring it. I bet you are just acting like you can’t but in fact you can carry five of those at the same time.” He shrugged his shoulders apathetically.


“So you don’t want the files? Fine with me. I can go now.” Sooyoung blackmailed and turned her way to the gate.


“You told my mom you’re going to stay here for the night. You can’t just leave like that. Plus, you’re going to leave this here?” He reminded her, stopping her heels-clunking steps.


“I could always say it’s your fault. Merong~ You can’t open that thing without my permission and you should know, I could always set that up as a bomb.” She threatened, slowly putting the case down.


Giving up, Chasung finally snatched the heavy silver suitcase in Sooyoung’s hand. However, before he got the chance to hold it first, Sooyoung loosened her grip on the case so it landed on his feet perfectly, earning a yelp from him. Sooyoung smirked as she once again won over him.


“Wow, such a masculine man and yet a girl’s squeal? Ohoho~” She took notice.


Hyun Ae woke up from the noise she heard from outside. Since she was on the second floor, she couldn’t hear them quite well. So she just imagined what they were saying.


“Sooyoung-ah, why are you carrying such a heavy suitcase?” He leaned closer to her, reaching for the case.


“It’s okay, I can bring this. There’s no need to worry.” She insisted with all of her might.


“You know what? I’m the guy here so I’ll bring it. I don’t want you to get tired.”


Hyun Ae couldn’t help but squeal in delight with what she had thought to be happening. Seeing enough of their sweetness, only in her eyes, she finally closed the curtains once more and retired to the comfort of her warm, cozy bed.



As they climbed up the stairs, they continued their bicker.


“Yah, Hwang Chansung! Quiet down, will ya? You don’t want Eommoni to wake up because of your loud mouth.” Sooyoung scolded in a half-yell, half-whisper tone.


“What did you just call me, airhead? Fine! I’m gonna keep my mouth shut. Not because you won again, but for mom. Don’t take it the wrong way.” Chansung answered back to which Sooyoung replied with just another trademark smirk of hers.


Upon reaching the second floor, Chansung told Sooyoung and pointed where her room would be. “Your room’s that one. This is mine.” He then proceeded to open his door.


As he entered, he thought Sooyoung would already be in her room changing or something the like but he heard a voice, and it was none other than hers. “What the-- why are you here in my room?”


Sooyoung facepalmed. “Aigoo. Who’s the airhead now? Duh. Of course, I’m here. We’ve got some researching to do, don’t we?” Her perfect brow rose.


“That’s not what I meant, babo. I mean, why aren’t you in your room getting change or something? You wanna work with that... that clothing?” He retorted but he sounded a little flustered as he said the last two words.

“Why? What’s wrong with this? And have you gone nuts? I don’t have any clothes to change to. How the hell am I suppose to change now, won’t you tell me, Mr. Genius??” Annoyed that once again, her clothing was critiqued.


“Ugh! Wait here! Don’t go snooping around my room, ya hear?” He said, giving up, and stormed off to his walk-in closet.


Chansung got a pair of his old pajamas and an extra white t-shirt from his drawer. He held it out to Sooyoung.


Sooyoung stared at the clothes for a while before closing her eyes. It’s ugly, she thought but she doesn’t have any choice. She sighed as she grabbed it from him.


“Thanks,” she said begrudgingly as she went to change her clothes. Chansung scratched the back of his head. This girl is driving him insane. One second, she’s really calm and next, she’s aggravating as hell.


He glued his eyes on the silver case. “So this is they key to everything?” He said to himself as he placed it on his desk. He stopped when Sooyoung came back. As she entered the room, Chansung scanned her from head to toe. Her wavy hair was now tied in a messy bun while the white t-shirt was pulled and tied to one side so that it would fit her skinny torso. He gulped as he turned his head away from Sooyoung.


“Let’s start.” Sooyoung said as she sat on the chair in front of the desk like she was the one who owned the room. She flipped open the silver case and poof! A series of monitors came out and she typed some codes to activate the gadget. In less than 30 seconds, the gadget is already ready to use.


“Uwah...” was the only word that escaped Chansung’s mouth as it hang low from what he had seen.


“What the hell is this?” Chansung blurted out. He didn’t think that a silver suitcase would have this kind of gadget inside.


“You wouldn’t understand even if I explain so let’s quit all this chatting and let’s get started on this.” Sooyoung replied, quite irritated. She’s already losing her patience. She’s not one to wait.


Chansung noticed her annoyance so he just followed and finally, they’ve started. He wanted to start the research already too. Sooyoung was nice enough to give him enough introduction about The Red Sin and for a while, he was amazed how her tone could change into a sweet one when she was talking.


Hours passed and it’s already past 2 in the morning. He noticed that Sooyoung’s eyelids were already betraying her. They were starting to close but she was too stubborn to tell him she wanted to sleep already. So he stood up from the desk and went down the kitchen to get themselves a cup of hot chocolate.


When he opened the door of his room, he got a glance of Sooyoung who had finally surrendered to sleep with her head laying on the desk, papers all over the place and the gadget not shut down.


He fixed the papers around the room gingerly. He doesn’t want to wake her up, afraid that they might fight again. Instead when he was about to close the gadget, a picture of kids was shown in the screen together with Sooyoung. He immediately recognized them from the orphanage. This brought a smile on his face. Everyone was smiling brightly like they are a real family. Aside from all the shortcomings in their lives, they never failed to find happiness in other people’s company. As his smile ceased away, he wished that he could be like them.


And as he glanced at Sooyoung, he wondered how she can change from a gangster to a sweet motherly-like lady within a few seconds. Is he seeing the real thing or everything is just part of her disguise but it doesn’t matter. He’s just worried about the kids if they find out who Sooyoung really is. He doesn’t want them to get hurt.


“Really, this girl. She’s so hard to figure out.” He said to himself as he stared at her intently, gazing over her sharp features. Then he grabbed the blanket from his bed and carefully placed it over her.


“Maybe you’re not that bad.” He said as he turned off the light of the room but left the lampshade open. His arm rested on the desk as his head rested on his palm. He studied her features. She was quite a beauty, he admitted. A few strands of her hair fell and covered her face so he brushed them ever so carefully so as not to wake her. While awestuck at her beauty, his eyelids started to feel heavy and eventually, he also fell asleep on the desk. His face facing hers. And off they were to dreamland.