Ice Cream Encounter

Guilty and Chained

 

The loud chirping of the birds and the rays of light that peeked through the curtains of Chansung’s room woke him up. No doubt that a beautiful day was ahead of them. Rubbing the sleep off his eyes, he slowly sat up and rested his back on the headboard of his bed. In that one fine Friday morning, the first thing that came to him was his recurring confusion.

Her words rang again in his head.

I have this intuition  that I can use you in the future and I know you will not betray me.” Use me for what? A bait?

 

He closed his eyes trying to remember the rest of her words. “I don't kill people that easily. I let them feel what real suffering is, torture them little by little.” Her smirk, it was still lucid in his vision. “Or worse, send them to the gangs on the other side.” Why would she send me to the other gangs? Does that mean that there are gangs of different objectives? Pfft. They’re all the same.

 

“ARGHH!” He groaned and scratched his head roughly. This time, he has decided--she won; he’ll play with her games.

 

 

 

 

The papers were still messily lying on top of the table like the way he left it. He slid his legs off the bed as he staggered towards the mess. As he looked once again at those, he noticed a yellow paper sticking out, separating it from the rest.

 

He read it carefully, little by little, not missing a single word. His eyes, already big as it is, widened; his hands shook as he clenched harder, crumpling the sides of the paper. “THIS. THIS is about the gang who killed my father!”

 

All this time, he was looking for them. Who would have thought that one of ‘them’ will be the answer to his unending questions. And this, it appeared as if fate directly sent it to his hands, specially delivered just for him.

He dialed the number of their chief head in the quarters. A while ago, he decided to take three days off and do his own little investigation and also to somehow relax a bit. Him meeting her stressed the hell out of him. He had just finished doing his morning routine, a towel still resting on his damp hair.

 

 

 

 

“What made you call me so early in the morning?” The person on the line said.

 

Chansung hesitated for a second but continued, “Chief... I just would like to ask... Can I have 3-day leave?”

 

Silence; a few seconds of it before the chief answered him, “We’re in some kind of an alert now but since you’ve been working hard the past few days, I guess I’m gonna have to grant that.” A wide grin found its way to his face, “Thanks, Chief! You’re the best! Imma hang up now, thanks again!”

 

On the other hand, the chief just stared at his phone. “This rascal...” He chuckled. He was like a son to him already. They were all hardworking but Chansung was different; he has the passion and persistence he was hoping that all policemen should have--it was something he surely inherited from his father. And besides, it’s only sometimes that this kid would ask for a favor. It wouldn’t hurt to give it.

 

 

 

 

Dressed in his casual and comfortable clothes, Chansung happily skipped down the stairs, much like a kid, to the kitchen to greet his mother who surely was busy preparing breakfast for the day. He lightly walked towards his mother who was in the counter and hugged her from the back.

 

“Omo, Chansung-ah! You shouldn’t have done that. I almost had a heart attack.” Mama Hwang turned to face his son who was grinning from ear to ear.

 

“Good morning, Eomma!” He greeted and hugged her again. She smiled at her son’s sweet gesture. It’s been a long time since he was like this.

 

“Are you sick, son? You’re rarely this happy. And why are you not in your uniform? No work today? ” His mom inquired. She paused and looked at her son, scanning his fine features. He was okay.


“Uh-Hm! I’ve got three days off work!” Said he, flashing a toothy grin.

 

Her eyes dilated. “Really? Thank God! At last, you’ll have time to look for a girlfriend! I mean..you’ll have time to finish your mission. That’s what I said.” She shyly looked away, afraid of facing his son’s reactions to her constant tease.

 

“Eomma...” He called, his eyes were narrowing. “You know that Hwang Hyun Ae is the only girl in my life.” He flashed a playful smile, teasing his mother.

 

They chuckled at each other, for they both knew Chansung was just being corny.

 

She wanted to say something but she knew how he will react. It was a nice day to ruin it with a fight. Instead, she proposed an idea she was longing for.

 

“Well, that means we’ll have some bonding time now, right?” She looked at him, a smile plastered on her face.

 

“That’s a nice idea, Eomma. We should play the Raging Hell game again. This time, I’ll beat you.”

 

“Don’t waste such a beautiful day, son trying to beat me, you know it will never happen. We know you’ll never win over my skills. Let’s just go outside. What about I treat you to ice cream then we’ll go to the nearby park? What do you say?”    

 

He heaved a loud sigh. She was right; he’ll never win. “Okay Eomma, how about we go to the park first then we’ll eat ice cream?”

 

“Sure, let’s go then, shall we?” Hyun Ae asked.

 

 

 

 

The park was as calm as usual. It was not as crowded as it is during weekends, it was still Friday afterall. There were a couple of lovebirds and kids playing around. They eventually found an unoccupied bench under the big shade of the oak tree.

 

“Wow! It’s been centuries since I’ve been to this place.” Mama said as she sat down on the bench, her back resting on it. Chansung scanned his surroundings. Indeed, it’s been a long time.

 

“Son, that’s why I’m telling you this place is awesome. You’ll have more fun here compared to those video games of yours. Plus, sports will make your body stronger.” Mr. Hwang said as he knelt down to face his seven-year-old son.

 

“Really, Appa?” Little Chansung said as he glanced around. There were a lot of people, most of them are laughing and talking. Maybe his dad was right.

 

“Of course, I am. Here, let’s play soccer.” Mr. Hwang stretched his hand out to his son and the other gripped on a soccer ball.


Appa, I wish I could still play soccer with you.

 

He was brought back from his reverie when his mom placed a hand on his shoulder, “It’s getting warmer, son. Should I already buy ice cream?”

 

“Ne? Ah, ne. I mean.. I’ll just be the one to buy, you stay here, Eomma.”

 

“It’s fine, Chansung-ah. Stay here and relax a little more. I’ll be right back, ahrasso? The convenience store is just near.” Hyun Ae assured.

 

 

 

 

“Yes, thank you.” Hyun Ae said as she handed the cashier the money. As she received the change, she gathered her bags and headed towards the door. While being busy putting her purse back inside her bag, she didn’t notice a young lady with a kid on hand walking her way so they eventually bumped into each other.

 

“Oh my, I’m really sorry, dear.” As Hyun Ae apologized, she was mesmerized by the young lady’s perfect features.

 

“No, Ma’am. It was my fault. I’m sorry.”  The girl bowed her head. Such a waste, she already has a child. And there I thought she would be perfect for my Chan.

 

Hyun Ae noticed a wallet lying on the floor, it wasn’t hers. Maybe it was of the girl’s. She picked it up for her since she was still trying to hush the kid she was with. Upon picking the wallet up, she was able to take a glance at the picture inside. The person in the picture was familiar. She handed it to the young lass.

 

“Is this wallet yours, dear?” She asked her. That was the only time the lady knew her wallet fell from her pocket. “Ah, ne. It is. Thank you, ma’am,” said the girl, flashing a bright smile.

 

Hyun Ae was able to look at the girl’s face closely. She resembles one of her dearest friends. And the picture in her wallet. Curiosity got the best of Hyun Ae and she then asked the girl.

 

“Excuse me, dear. Do you happen to know Choi Soojin?” She asked.

 

The youngster’s attention was diverted to Hyun Ae when she mentioned the name. “Eh? My Eomma? You know her?” She asked. Hyun Ae smiled.

 

Hyun Ae’s eyes sparkled. “I knew it!” She exclaimed. “You’re her daughter, you really look like her. You may not remember anymore but we’ve already met when you were still a child. What’s your name again... Soo.. Soo--” “Sooyoung! Choi Sooyoung, Ajumeoni!” Sooyoung said, cutting Hyun Ae.


“By the way, I forgot to introduce myself. I’m Hwang Hyun Ae. I used to be best friends with your mother back then until we lost communication when your family moved out of town. I’m glad I’ve gotten a chance to meet you again. Where and how are they now?”

 

Sooyoung’s bangs covered her eyes and reluctantly she answered. “Uhm... about that.. uh.. They’re already gone. They died in a plane crash.” Hyun Ae was left speechless. It took a few seconds for it to sink into her. “... I-I didn’t know... I’m so sorry, Sooyoung-ah..”

 

“It’s fine, Mrs. Hwang. I’ve accepted that a long time ago.” With the last sentence, she looked at Hyun Ae with a big bright smile plastered on her face. Hyun Ae smiled at her gesture. She was really like Soojin. “Gee, Sooyoung-ah. Stop with the formalities. Just call me, Eomma.”

 

“Eh?? But --” Sooyoung was cut off her sentence when Hyun Ae told her, “Nuh-uh. No more buts, Soo-ah. You’re the daughter of my best friend and you were already like one to me back then. I also only have a son and I wanted a daughter for a long time now so let me treat you like you’re my own or you could just be my daughter-in-law! HAHAHA!... Never mind.”

 

Still unsure if she was going to really call her Eomma, Sooyoung settled with the formal instead of the banmal. “Okay... Eomoni?” Hyun Ae chuckled. “It’s still formal but I guess it’s fine than being called Ajumeoni. Hahaha.” Sooyoung laughed too.

 

The merry atmosphere broke when the kid on Sooyoung’s arm started to cry once more. “Omo, hush now, Jihoon-ah," said Sooyoung as she rocked the kid trying to hush him. She seems like a perfect mother. But wait, is that child her son? Luckily, his cries subsided a little.

 

“Is that child yours, Soo-ah? Please God, let it be not.” Upon hearing the question, Sooyoung roared in laughter.  “AHAHAHA. Aniyo, Eomeoni. I’m just helping the orphanage to look after the kids. He fell while playing with the others at the park. I left the others there to buy this crybaby an ice cream ‘coz he won’t stop crying."

 

Hyun Ae heaved a sigh of relief. She didn’t notice she was holding her breath all the while she asked the question. “I see. That’s good!” She’s perfect for my Channie! Finally, I’ve found the perfect match for my son.

 

Jihoon started crying once again, this time louder. “Omo, we’ll be going first, Eomoni. This kid will only stop when he’ll finally have his ice cream.”

 

“Me too, Soo-ah. The ice cream I bought will already melt if I don’t go sooner. My son’s probably worried by now since I’ve taken too long to just buy the ice cream. And oh, we are living just 3 blocks away from the park. Come and visit me there sometime.” “Neh, I will, Eomoni.” Sooyoung waved at Hyun Ae as she left the store.