Chapter 2

A Pencil On The Melody

 

Chapter 2

Re-encounter

 

Seven years later.

Jung Yong Hwa rolled his luggage down, walking slowly through Incheon airport lobby. Soft grey scarf circling around his neck, blocking a running cold wind eroding his skin. He hang a little smile for himself, half-happy smile, indeed. 



Finally, Korea. 

He took a taxi then going to his new bought apartment. Finding it was still being renovated, repaired, and perfected, he just looked around, checking the function of his new house. 
 
His phone vibrated as he activated his Korean numbers, then answering, “Ne, I’m heading there. Maybe I will stay for days, too, since my house is not perfect yet. Gwaenchana?”

 
*&^%$#@
 
Seo Hyun packed her books up then tidying everything into her bag. Her ponytail simply tightened up, in combination with her usual way of dressing up. Casual blue pleated skirt and plain blue sky shirt brightened her framing tired face. She sighed then formed a little smile while carrying an ID card where FNC logo on the top of it: Seo Joo Hyun, Music and Composing Department.
 
The mirror produced her reflection. Every day was hectic day for her. Workaholic Seo Hyun did everything on her own. 
 
She caught two months apartment fee notification laid on the top of her table, still being unpaid. The deadline was a month from now, otherwise she would be kicked out. She tightened her jaw, trying to erase the bad imagination.
 
Her phone vibrated. The caller name on the screen induced a sudden heavy breath of her. “Where are you, Oppa?” Her voice went higher, “What? You’ve stolen my money and now you dared to say sorry! I don’t believe you. Go to hell with your lie. You try to find a job, I don’t believe it a bit.”
 
Monday morning and she had thrown a tantrum already.
 
She impatiently halted the time to hear an excuse from the other line. Before cutting off in a firm tone, “Oppa, you know what? I’m definitely unwilling to consider you as my brother.”
 
 
*&^%$#@

She had an appointment today at a cafe. Patiently waiting for someone she had promised to, her gaze wandered around to kill the boredom, then fell onto a commotion nearby between some guys. 
 
They were having a fun time by tossing the glass in the air, accompanying by jokes and some persiflages. Seo Hyun naturally observed. Then her body went frozen as her mind rolled out some well-kept memories from her head. Like movie reel vector being played. As she caught up a figure in their midst.
 
A guy at the center brought him to the old memory of composing, piano, and music practice room. Seven years ago, senior high school period time of her life. 
 
He is.. 

That Sunbae.

“This gathering is not complete if you’re not coming to play this guitar.” A guy with torn hair up handed off a guitar he hold to the Sunbae. His sparkling eyes fulfilled with hopes to hear the person he pointed playing. 
 
The Sunbae stared at him in thoughtful eyes, puzzled expression as a response.
 
Seo Hyun was getting excited. She sat straightly. 
 
“Anniyo.” Then the Sunbae rejected, gaining protest sounds everywhere. 
 
“Why? You’re such a prodigy! Please let us hear your maneuvers.” Another guy chimed in.
 
“Anniyo.” He was still not moved. Seo Hyun caught a serious denial plastered on his face. He seemed bothered.
 
“Come on.” The first torn-hair guy backed, insisting by handing off the guitar more closer to him.
 
“I said anniyo!” He yelled out as swayed the holding-guitar-hands abruptly, causing the guitar to flung down. 

Silent.
 
He then got off, without words, stepping away from the gathering, leaving his friends in agape behind.
 
Seo Hyun couldn’t help her feet not to follow his pace. She stood up then walking away, head turning around not to loss his trace. Her mind might go blanked as it delivered strange urge to follow the stranger, sunbae guy.

Why does he look so distressed? Even pretending not able to play a guitar?

“Miss Seo Hyun-ssi?”
 
Someone patted her shoulder, stopping her steps. She turned back, a bit jerked.
`
 
*&^%$#@

A young FNC president never looked so much closer than this time. Seo Hyun gulped a nervousness as they shared a table at the café, even order coffees to brighten the conversation up. He payed for Seo Hyun. And he was the one who invited her to this place.
 
He casually drank a cup of coffee then put it down on the table, looking at her. Charismatic, full of leader aura, she thought. “So you’re the one who apply as Hara piano teacher?” He asked.
 
“N-ne.”
 
“And you’re the one of FNC staff. Composing and Music Departement Staff?”
 
She nodded obediently, “Ne, Sajangnim.”
 
He formed a small calm smile on his face. “Since our age is not much different, Seo Hyun-ssi, you can call me by my name. We’re not in formal office this time, though.”
 
“Ne?” She completely frowned. Stammering, she followed the command, “N-ne. Yunho-ssi.” 
 
Honestly, she never thought to sit face to face with her big boss like this. And Yunho could place himself in the same level as her, not high-low. He was completely warm and friendly.
 
Satisfied, he continued, “So, can I ask you a question?” As he caught a nod as an answer from her, Yunho passed on, “Why do you apply yourself in? I know, your ability in music and composing is total qualified. I just want to ask you the reason.”
 
It took a time for her to answer. “I.. I want to earn more.. additional money. I need it, Saj—Yunho-ssi.” Waverly, she muttered the exact honest background. “I’m sorry. I couldn’t tell you why but I’m stucked in the exact yet limited time to earn more money.”
 
Yunho raised his eyebrows for a moment, thinking of something. He hold an ulterior smirk right after, looked like Seo Hyun was so readable for him. “I can help you. To earn money in a brief time.”
 
“Ne?”
 
“Ah, don’t think this offer as your additional duty, Miss. You’re free to decide.”
 
Actually, a thing taking over Seo Hyun’s brain was all money, to pay the apartment fee. She was totally curious. “What’s that?”
 
“Persuasion.” He announced, gaining a wrinkle on her forehead, “I need you to persuade a guy. This may be useful not only for him, but also our future company.”
 
Her head rumpled in sudden. Seo Hyun felt blanked. 
 
“I’ll give you his address and phone number. You can use any rules, any ways, to get him.” Yunho took out a piece of paper from his bag, unfolded it out, then showed the sentences written on it. 
 
Seo Hyun’s eyes widening after she finished reading. “Head department? I must persuade him to be the head of music and composing department? My boss? And making him write his signature on this paper.”
 
“Exactly.” Yunho smiled contendedly, “He was hard to be beaten, Seo Hyun-ssi. This person is the one and only I trust right now, very qualified and high-grade. If you can accomplish my request, tell me everything you need, I’ll help you.”
 
Seo Hyun stayed quiet for seconds. “Looks like this person is very important for you, Yunho-ssi. And our company, too.” Catching up a thin smile on his corner lips, she took a heavy breath, “Ahrasseo. I’ll do it.”
 
Yunho grinned complacently, “Thankyou.”
 
“But, can I ask your help during this ‘mission’? Regarding to your own behalf, too..”
 
“Anytime.” He nodded, “And I give you one month to accomplish. No punishment if you fail, because this is pure offer.”
 
“Ahrasseo.” Seo Hyun took the paper, gaining energy to be stronger the next days. “Anything else?”
 
Yunho straightened up his position, “You can start to teach Hara next week in my home. You may know, Miss, my young sister is different in studying. And, you’re really the only one who have the bravery to apply as her private piano teacher.”
 
 
*&^%$#@

Karate Center Temple was not that traditional in Seo Hyun’s sight. A big yet modern building had inferior minimalist style in it, precisely far away from what he imagined before. The word ‘temple’ has hug modification to translate in fact. 
 
She entered the practice room then discovered many mattresses outstretched through almost the entire room, and some karate students sank in battle practice onto them. She flickered for every move they shot, looked like she herself being punched or kicked. 
 
Seo Hyun stepped to a handsome guy at the center that seemed to be the teacher. She asked him about a guy name on the piece of paper she was shown, the same paper Yunho gave days ago. The guy pointed her out about the direction.
 
Then Seo Hyun reached the room she was sure about. 
 
There was a guy, having a practice all alone. She took a step slowly, with her hands crossing in front of her chest for protection, coming closer to greet the guy, glimmered scared eyes hanging on. 

His movement is really something. Please God, save my life. Her foolish mind went crazy as she was just one metre..
 
SET.

Seo Hyun cowered down with a shout surprise tone in reflex motion. Head covered by the whole circling hands, her face buried into her bent legs. On the top of her exact head, that-practice-guy’s right leg hang in the air, in a kick position. 
 
Silence took over as they both dealing with the moments.
 
That guy pulled her legs down, perfectly standing up. “Who are you?”
 
Seo Hyun couldn’t give any response, then she lifted her head up to see the condition. After making sure it was safe enough, she gradually stood on legs while fixing her hair and appearance. She gulped, trying to be fearless, “Jung Yong Hwa-ssi?”
 
“I am.”
 
The second their eyes encountered, Seo Hyun could see his whole face. She was total shocked. She blinked. Time stopped tickling as her brain kept matching his face to the face her memories saved seven years ago. The owner was, is, nicety the same. Jung Yong Hwa.
 
Her heartbeating pounded out to her chest.
 
“Who are you?” His heavy voice repeated.
 
“I’m..” She found a stone jammed in, trying to take over her soul back. “Seo Hyun. I’m Seo Joo Hyun, FNC staff.”
 
His welcoming face suddenly dispersed in one second. “Mianhamnida, Seo Joo Hyun-ssi. I..”
 
“This,” Seo Hyun cut off, showing the signature paper to him, “My president director told me to send this to you, for having your signature.”
 
Yong Hwa’s cold expression grew stronger. His jaw tightened firmly. “Tell your director to stop. I’m not interested at this matter, at all.”
 
“But, Sunbae—Yong Hwa-ssi.” 
 
“Please, take your leave.”
 
“You mastered in guitar, playing beautifully, and you’re such a great composer!” 
 
Yong Hwa was frozen, for three seconds. 
 
“You did! I’ve ever seen you composing. You’re so amazing back then.” She insisted cheerfully, back to think the past time. Seo Hyun handed off, “Please kindly give your signature..”
 
“Probably you’ve seen a wrong person, Miss.” Yong Hwa crossed her sentences, coldly, “I can’t even strum a guitar, moreover write a song.”
 
“W-what?”
 
“I hate music.”
 
Seo Hyun was glued, her head stained blanked as her expression was total lost. What did he say? No more words to say. He is exactly Sunbae I admired all over the time. My inspiration. My first encouragement to compose music..
 
“Once again, please look for another person. And take your leave.”
 
 
*&^%$#@

Jung Lyn’s minutes and hours were full of bustle and activities, extremely exhausting for a fifty years old woman like her. She was on her work desk, checking all the documents and files climbing like a paper mountain. 

I should take an extra rest. Soon.

Her secretary, a young tall guy suddenly entered then took a bow, “Mr. Yunho is here, Ma’am.”
 
“Tell him to come in.”
 
A stacked Jung Yun Ho then stepped in, walking closer after taking a brief bow. 
 
“What’s the matter?” Jung Lyn’s eyes still run all over the document on her hand.
 
“Yong Hwa is back.”
 
One sentence could steal her entire attention. She stopped her activity, then turned her head to him, “Then?”
 
“It seems like he decide to stay here.” He defiantly glared at her, “And I will do everything to bring him back, Omeoni.”
 
“It’s up to you.” She blurted out nonchalantly. Faking perfunctory.
 
Yunho stared at his mother, sternly. “This time I won’t let you block my way. It’s enough for him enduring seven years blaming out himself, all alone.”
 
“I was not doing anything back then.”
 
“You kicked him out of our house!” Yunho yelled out, lips trembling and eyes garished a slight abhorence. Jung Lyn’s threw a cold gaze back. “Even he doesn’t carry your blood, Omeoni, Abeoji’s son is still your son. You’re responsible for him.”
 
Then he turned around, quickly stepping outside.
 
 
*&^%$#@

Seo Hyun opened up her old boxes, then untidied her book shelves right here and there. She looked for one thing, one exact thing she needed at that time. 
 
Her glance then fell on a paper between her stacks of piano scores. She checked one by one, between many songs scores she had written all over these years. She was productive musician, indeed, and hold a big loyalty to her dreams. 
 
She then felt sudden relieved finding out a thing she searched for in a midst, in the very bottom of the lists.
A piece of music score with no title. Being corrected right here and there with a pencil, a bit messy handwriting. Still having Seo Joo Hyun and an unknown handsome guy on the composer line. 

She let the silence grow up, before gently took a pencil, striking out some words, correcting them out. A little smile formed on her lips. Composer: Seo Joo Hyun and Jung Yong Hwa.
 
But that smile then faded naturally, as her emotion changing to a worry. 
 
What happened to you, Jung Yong Hwa sunbae?
 
She felt something scratching her heart, making it torn apart. 
 
Jung Yong Hwa was his inspiration, one reason she could able to continue her life after her mother death, yet her brazen brother attitudes. She wanted to be as great as that sunbae, that biting-pencil-while-thinking-of-notes sunbae. So she struggled hardly to reach that dream, the same level as him. And be a workaholic girl. Music-dediacted-for-life girl.
 
Her eyes blurred.