Chapter 6.2

A Pencil On The Melody

 

Chapter 6.2

Together

 

“You can borrow mine.” Yong Hwa offered, sitting on her bed while hands gripping a flashlight aimed to Seo Hyun who was busy enough placing clothes from a wardrobe into a huge luggage, next to him.

“I can’t, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi.” She uttered. It was hard to resist tears not to flow down through her cheek. This was the first time she being this useless, driven from her precious room, from a bunch of memories with her mother and her whole life. As if Jong Hyun Oppa didn’t steal some of my money.. She backed off. “Letting me stay with you is just more than enough. I promise, I’ll seek for a cheap mini apartement and—“

“Call my Hyung, and get your money back.”

She turned to face him under the darkness in gawk. “What?”

“It’s your rights. You make me touch guitar again, do the duet, agree for guitar lesson with Min Hyuk. What else?” Yong Hwa explained absentmindedly. “It’s your money. Taking it and you won’t be driven out.”

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi!”

“Call my Hyung.”

“No!” She finally yelled in frustration. Is he dumb? She’s just too sincere to get his sense back until it reaches level not to care about money anymore. And she already rejected the money. How can she be that low to crawl for getting it back? “Jung Yong Hwa-ssi, please stop pressuring me upon that matter. I beg you. I’ll solve this apartment problem real soon but please, not to mention that thing anymore.”

“Fine. I’m off.”

“I promise you, I’ll leave around two or three days. And then get this room back.”

“Where do you want to earn money, then? Ah. Your soundtrack project. When does it start?”

She snapped, “I—I don’t know. No announcement yet.” A stutter words glided from her lips. Right. Where? Where can she earn money that fast to pay all the rents? Then she convinced self, at least to give a little reassurance, “But I’ll try. Everywhere.”

“It’s up to you.” Yong Hwa’s plain tone upraised. “Do whatever you want.”

She put the last piece of dress onto the luggage, then zipped it up, getting ready to move out. “Wait a minute,” she remembered something as stepping into the bedside, d a picture frame on the small table, then returned to him.

“Let’s go.” Yong Hwa led the way by the flashlight, then after stepping out, it was Seo Hyun’s turn to close the door in a very heavy heart.

Yong Hwa witnessed a glimpse of sadness flashed in Seo Hyun’s eyes while she began to face away from her room view, reaching Yong Hwa’s door instead. 

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. I can’t thank you enough—“

“Just enter to my room and warm yourself, change your wet cloth. You’re shuddering.”

And Yong Hwa never forgot how pale she was with those bluish lips and tremble hands.

*&^%$#@

 

They stepped into his living room. It was an open apartment with no border between bedroom and other rooms, except the bathroom. Far from privacy. But Seo Hyun didn’t mind at all. Everything pounded in her head was, how to get her room back. And by living under Yong Hwa’s roof, she wouldn’t throw any protest even though she might sleep on the floor. She just felt extremely tired and craved for everyting being settled down.

Yong Hwa rolled her luggage near the bed, then took a towel from his own wardrobe, wrapped her by it. “Go take a bath first.”

Seo Hyun just nodded with a blank on her eyes. She smelled Yong Hwa’s scent by the towel but she just too dumb to response. She then staggered while walking to the bathroom, closed the door in a slow move.

Yong Hwa wanted to knock the door to announce a new tootbrush he just gor for her before he paused, hearing a distinct sob behind. It was obvious enough that Seo Hyun let out a cry. Then some seconds afterward, a water being flown from the shower, covered up the weep.

He exhaled before yelling, “Seo Joo Hyun, your tootbrush is outside!” He didn’t catch any response and just stepped away, warming self by taking another towel. Please be strong, Seo Joo Hyun.

*&^%$#@

 

“On or off?”

Yong Hwa offered, hands sticked on electrical switch, ready to press in.

He looked at Seo Hyun who had laid on his bed, already pulled on a blanket to cover her body up, ready to get sleep. “How do you usually sleep, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi?” She asked back.

“With the lamp off.”

Silent.

“But,” She waverly muttered, “I’m not used to the lamp off.”

“On, then.” 

Yong Hwa left the switch unchanged then stepped back to the nap sofa accrossed the bed, laying down after puffing his pillow, then putting on a blanket over his body. He then shut his eyes down in any seconds.

Seeing Yong Hwa, Seo Hyun rolled around instead of trying to take eyes off. She sat upright after remembering a picture frame she just brought. It needed some seconds before she grabbed it then take the picture under the blanket together. She crossed a smile, tracing the painting by her fingers. There were three of them: Mother, Joo Hyun, and Jong Hyun.

Seo Hyun missed them a lot. Badly.

She memorized this moment while they took a picture together at a night festival just two months before her mother diagnosed with brain cancer and had to take an intensive care in hospital. They ride carousel and ferris wheel, bought cotton candy, entered haunted house, watching fireworks, all with held hands, arm by arm, and finger to finger. She showered with a pure love from mother, and always in a good care by her twins.

“Seo Joo Hyun, My Dear, look.” Her mother huddled her, “Your life will be much like a ferris wheel. Sometimes you get yourself up, then down. After that you spin again. Then up and down again. You can be happy whenever you get higher, and felt disappointed every time you go lower. But, life is life. It always spins. And always starts from the start. So don’t worry to whenever the obstacles and difficulties face you.”

She started to shiver. Her mother was such an inspiration.

Mom, are you okay? How have you been? Can I meet you now? Dream is okay, Mom. Please. I miss you. I miss you. I miss you so much.

She craved for her mother’s smile whenever she went for school, then welcoming her right after she got home. Preparing the most delicious breakfast she ever tasted, always by her side if she got sick with a hot creamy milk and healthy porridge. And so did Jong Hyun. He always hold her tightly whenever they were in school, scolding and fighting for her if some friends made a fun of her, dividing food into two if they just allowed to get one, and huddling each other in the winter.

And both of them now were gone.

Jong Hyun, she had no clue where he was.

A warmth was b on her crystal eyes, drop of tears streaming down through her cheeks. It was night, chill, and she felt so alone. It was night, chill, and she lost her home. She felt so defenseless and tired.

Letting out a silent sob she could produce, she didn’t want Yong Hwa to wake up. This was already midnight, and he needed to do work in the morning. She needed so, but she was still busy dealing with this mini drama.

“Are you crying?” A low baritone voice approached her ears. She quickly wiped the tears on her face, staying motionless to reduce Yong Hwa’s suspicion. “Seo Joo Hyun?” But she was bad on acting, bad on hiding something, so she was caught red-handed by Yong Hwa who suddenly appeared right in front of her.

“It’s okay, Yong Hwa-ssi. Mianhe. I’m just a little crybaby.” She hid her half-face under the blanket, “Five minutes. Then I swear I’ll get to sleep.” She reassured him by continuing brushing her cheek off, vanishing the tears track, forcing a smile.

Yong Hwa stood there silently, examining her. There was a worry flashed in his eyes.

He then shifted a chair from the desk nearby, placing next to bed, and sitting down. “Tell me everything.” He asked. Tone was full of attention.

“I’m okay.”

“You’re crying.”

“I’m not crying.”

Yong Hwa’s mouth was shut before a frame emerged under her embrace, and it caught his curiosity. “What’s that?” Before Seo Hyun could resist him to grab the frame, she was just too much late. Yong Hwa examined the painting from his grip, “Your family?”

Seo Hyun just leaned powerlessly, nodding, “Ne.”

Yong Hwa’s eyes backed to her, “Tell me about them.”

“I miss them. And I just feel lonely right now.” She forced a smile, “I love them, Yong Hwa-ssi. Mianhe. This condition, losing my home, is just inducing me to further missing them.”

Tears streamed  continuously to her cheek whenever she mentioned about family. She continued explaining about her family: how her mother did in life, and how her twins treated her.

This girl tried to be strong but indeed so weak.

Yong Hwa stared at her with a deep look afterwards, “Tell me how I can make you better now.”

“Ne?”

“Tell me whatever.”

Is this dream? That kind of sentences from a rude Jung Yong Hwa?

Seo Hyun never let someone to feel so burdened due to her request. She hated being such an intruder, or a selfish one. She love to make someone happy, but always waverly ask others to do the same for her.

“I’m okay, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi.”

“No second chance for my offer.”

She blinked. What’s this? “I’m okay, really.”

“Fine.” Then he got off, “I’ll be back to sleep.” He stepped away.

“Creamy hot chocolate.”

Yong Hwa paused.

“Creamy hot chocolate. I want to drink creamy hot chocolate.”

*&^%$#@

 

He stirred the cup after pouring a hot water, the chocolate powder he dropped before then resurfacing. He took a creamy can and put some milk on the drink. He stirred it again, then tried some. Finding it a bit bitter, Yong Hwa then poured the creamy milk again.

Seo Hyun approached him, “I’ll help you.”

“It’s almost done.” Then Yong Hwa swooped some by a spoon, and then handed it out to Seo Hyun’s mouth, “Give a try.”

Seo Hyun received and tasted it, then squealed in sparkle eyes, “Yummy!”

“Really?”

“Ne!”

“Let’s get one more glass.” And then he prepared another drink. It just needed less than five minutes before both of them finally sat face-to-face on dining table, enjoying the hot creamy chocolate Yong Hwa just made.

Seo Hyun felt so much better. Her mood went good, beside her swollen eyes shined some sparkles for every sip she just take. “This is delicious. Jinjja.

“And this is my first attempt.”

She almost sprouted her drink, “Jeonmal yo?”

Yong Hwa nodded.

“You have a born talent being a master chief.” She commented out of nowhere. Yong Hwa escaped a tickled smile on his lips.

They both sipped the creamy hot chocolate under the silence. It was 1 a.m and they still dealt with this kind of random case.

Gomawo, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. You did so much to me this day.” She began, putting a soft smile on her pale face under a frame of tousled hair. She looked so much sincere on that expression.

Yong Hwa let out a nervous cough, “Just drink up until the very last drop.”

“I definitely will.” She then backed to sipped again.

“Why is creamy hot chocolate?”

Seo Hyun looked up at him while swallowing, “My mother and my twins are the best in making creamy hot chocolate. Mine is less sweet compared to theirs.” She blabbered in a soft tone, “They always made them for me every time I got my mood down, or angry, or sad.”

Yong Hwa raised his furrow, then nodded in understanding.

“I’m done.” She put the cup on the table. “Thank you so much, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. Thank you.”

Yong Hwa laid his cup also on the table, “I just receive one thank you.”

Seo Hyun laughed. She caught another warm side of the rude Jung Yong Hwa. It was ages since the last time she was hugged under a sincere attention. Though Yong Hwa looked like an ice, stone-hearted, but he had his own charm to comfort her on his own ways.

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi, I have one more request.”

*&^%$#@

 

“You’re kind of childish.” Yong Hwa commented uneasily.

“Please do it. Or else I can’t sleep.”

Yong Hwa sighed. He already dragged his nap sofa next to the bed to be near her, just to grant her wish.

“I’ll just download the song and play it on music player.”

“It’s unfair.” Seo Hyun insist, “Sing to me.”

Yong Hwa exhaled, regretted his offer towards Seo Hyun before. “I can’t sing.”

“Liar. You’re a musician.”

He began to feel sleepy so he finally agreed, “Fine. But it will be just five rounds.”

“Five rounds. Great.” Seo Hyun then closed her eyes in excitement.

Yong Hwa cleared his throat, then took a note. And the next moment, he found himself singing in an endearing tone, sincere way, trying to be comforting. All naturally.

 

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,

How I wonder what you are.

Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are.

 

When the blazing sun is gone, when there's nothing he shines upon,

Then you show your little light,

Twinkle, twinkle, through the night.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, How I wonder what you are!

 

He peeked over Seo Hyun and found her in a deep shutting eyes. A brief smile escaped from his lips.

 

In the dark blue sky so deep, through my curtains often peep

For you never close your eyes, til the morning sun does rise

Twinkle, twinkle, little star, How I wonder what you are

It was already five rounds and he felt so dead sleepy. So Yong Hwa attempted to take his eyes off, fetching his own dreamland. Tomorrow, no one knows what will happen. Tomorrow, how I wonder what you are?

He breathed.

Good night, Seo Joo Hyun.

*&^%$#@

 

Morning cast the sun to say ‘hello’, polishing a shiny light under the sky. Yong Hwa woke up at nine, already late for his work on Karate Temple. He swept all over the room, discovering his bed on a tidy look. He then jumped to the dining room, and found a bowl of hot porridge, a plate of fried sausage, and a corn soup. A handwriting on a piece of paper was located beside the dish, and it was Seo Hyun’s.

Have a nice breakfast ^___^ I’m off to work.

Thank you for tonight. Cheers! –SH.

A smile was tugged on his lips.

He took one spoon and tasted it. Next seconds, a glutton Jung Yong Hwa started to sweep the dish.

 

*&^%$#@

 

“What?” Jung Shin hissed, controlling his restrained voice, “You were driven out and now live with Jung Yong Hwa? You can’t be serious.”

It was four and her work hours came to the end.

Seo Hyun shrugged, “Just wish me luck for today.” She gathered up her belongings, ready to go.

“Wait. Seo Joo Hyun, where are you going this fast?”

“I’m having a part time job this evening.” She was busy cramming her bag with her stuff without looking at Jung Shin.

“Where? How? Why?” Jung Shin frowned. His wrinkles deepened. “What kind of part time job will give you enough money to pay you rents?”

But Seo Hyun just passed Jung Shin’s questions, “I’ll do everything by my own hands to get my home back." She finished preparing, "See you.”

“Where is it?”

“Sangdodong street.”

She heels but someone appeared before her. She was startled enough to see Yunho approaching her desk. “Hi.” The boss greeted. Jung Shin, on the other way, backed to his place, peeking them sometimes.

Seo Hyun quickly took a bow, “Anneyong haseyo.

“Seo Hyun-ssi, can you—“

“I’m sorry, Yunho-ssi. I can’t. Whatever it is, I can’t.” She took another bow, now was deeper. “Jeonmal mianhe yo.

Yunho broke into a small laughter. “It’s okay. Where are you going, anyway? Karate class?”

Seo Hyun glared at him in a full agape and disbelief. Crap. She forgot to have a karate class today!

“No, it isn’t.” Then she cantered, began to start a run, “I must go now. Mianhe. See you soon!” Then she vanished behind the door.

Yunho stared at the doorway she just passed, inhaling. Taking out his cell phone, he dialed some familiar numbers, “Yes, it’s me. Can you cancel the table reservation? I can’t go for dinner tonight. Yes. Thank you.”

He turned around to go back, but then his eyes caught a guy who was busy scribbling down some notes on his desk. Yunho's steps went along to come closer. Looking after the nametag, Yunho called, “Hello, Jung Shin-ssi.”

Jung Shin looked up then reflexively took on his shoes, taking a quick bow, “Ne, Sajangnim.”

“You’re a good friend of Seo Hyun-ssi, right?”

Jung Shin was stuttered, “N-ne.”

“Do you have time? I have some questions for you.”

*&^%$#@

 

Seo Hyun took a bus then jumped down after he reached the destination. It was small sushi restaurant at Sandodong Street, with a medium room and many tables spreaded over from the inner to outer part. All was wooden-made, the building, and so the furniture. Some Japanesse songs were also on to the playlist.

She changed to the waitress suit then took out her cell phone, dialed a name on phone book, blabbered out after someone received her call.

“Yong Hwa-ssi. I can’t come to karate class today. Just please, let me absent.”

On the other line, Yong Hwa gripped his phone in confusion. He was already waited for her presence around fifteen minutes. It wrecked his nerve, to be honest. “Where are you now?”

“I can’ let you know.”

“Seo Joo Hyun.”

“Sangdodong Sushi here. Can I help you?” A woman’s voice coincidentally joined the line.

“What? Sangdo—“

“Bye!”

“Yah, Seo Joo—“

Tut. Tut. Tut.

Yong Hwa remained blanked. What happened with her? Sushi restaurant? Sangdodong? What kind of balony was that?

*&^%$#@

 

Yong Hwa decided to go home early, and by magic, he purposely passed by Sangdodong street. Gambling, he knew. Seo Hyun was there for eating sushi or just hanging out, he didn’t know. She was still there or already left, he had no clue. But at least, the curiosity he craved to figure her out had been answered.

But his steps stopped just right after he reached the place.

He caught her dressing in waitress suit, sending customer’s order right here and then, smiling sincerely to them, then run to the kitchen, backed again. Yong Hwa watched her from the glass window of the sushi restaurant, clear enough to oberve what she did.

Absentmindedly, he approached her then dragged her out by wrists. They stopped to an empty sidewalk, her hands was still being clutched by Yong Hwa’s.

“What is this? You take a part time job?” Yong Hwa’s eyes wanted to pop out from its socket. Glaring at her in disbelief. “Seo Joo Hyun, you become so irrational!”

“I should do this to get my house back.”

“Yes. But not this way.” Yong Hwa shaked his head, “You just kill yourself. You’ll be exhausted. Are you insane or what?”

“I’m insane, yes! Then what, Jung Yong Hwa? What? You want me to live normally after this incident? They took my house!”

“This won’t be enough. Two weeks. God, two weeks! How can you get money that much from this part time job?” Yong Hwa sounded so irritated. At least this girl should be back to the good track for her condition.

“I know but what else I can do? I can’t be just sit calmly and eat like nothing happened.” She stabbed him helplessly, voice vibrated. She was shaking.

“I’ll help you.”

“How? Borrowing me money? No. I won’t. Never.” She insisted, “Let myself do this, Jung Yong Hwa. This is my house, my life. Not yours. Let me struggle on to get them back.”

Yong Hwa saw a glassy flash inside her eyes. He was either speechless to help this stubborn girl. Seo Joo Hyun loved being self-racked other than receiving a help. She sometimes preferred being self-imposed other than let someone to console her.

“Think with logic, Seo Joo Hyun. You just kill your body on this way. In the end, you’ll loss your house, too.”

She was heated and pumped up hearing his sentence. It was too rude for her, though Yong Hwa attempted to explain the logic.

“I said no! Why don’t you hear me? This is my problem after all, not yours!” She yelled at him while tears kept rolling into her cheek. “Please, go away.”

It was time when Yong Hwa felt both sorry and dejected. Being useless yet wanted the best for her. And also being crashed.

“Fine.” Then he finally detached his clutch, then he stepped away, leaving her behind.

You know what best for you, Seo Joo Hyun.

Seo Hyun’s lips trembled. She felt regretted for good. What just I did? Sending him away? She let out a cry by her palms covered up her sorrowful face. Mianhe, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. Mianhe.

God, please save me.

*&^%$#@

 

It was eleven but her presence seemed none. Is she working overtime? Yong Hwa walked around in worry, point fingers on lips, thinking of many possibilities.

But wait, Jung Yong Hwa. She is not your matter.

But she lives here.

But she sternly said her life is her life, not yours. Just, get a sleep now.

But she was so vulnerable and so in a bad condition. How if some immoral strangers take her and.. No. Yong Hwa, get out and help her.

He scratched his head. Feeling irritated, he then went out, couldn’ take it anymore.

*&^%$#@

 

Seo Hyun received her first day fee work. After taking a bow to the manager, she went out, feeling so satisfied after accomplishing the day, yet extremely tired. Her bones felt like want to crack to fragments, yet her spines and some muscle soreness pounded her body, craving for at least laying down.

She stepped out from the restaurant, then catching up a man sitting down on a small chair, his back facing her. She was about to announce the closed hour already, but then she snapped. She knew him.

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi?”

Yong Hwa was trembled, looked like being there for some moments. Seoul night blew a chill wind, sweeping out your skin with an icy brush. Yong Hwa glanced up at her, “Why take so long?”

“I just received the money. What are you doing here?” Gaining no answer from him, she bombarded him with another question, “How long have you been there?”

Yong Hwa peeked at his wristwatch, “Around thirty minutes.”

Then they walked along the street side by side, reaching up a read car some metres away.

“You come all the way here to fetch me?”

“I’m protecting you from strangers.”

She flashed a smile. There was a warm slipped under Seo Hyun’s chest. Nice of you, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi.

Mianhe.” Yong Hwa broke the silence, gaze throwing away forwards, “I was wrong and so impudent this evening.”

Seo Hyun halted the time for a second, then muttered, “It’s okay. I do apologize, too. Mianhe.”

They needed some silences to take the uneasy mind away.

Yong Hwa twitched a small smile from her corner lips upon her response.

“So you have your job done at this hour?”

“Ne.”

He nodded in understanding.

“Why is that, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi?”

“I’ll come here by this hour.”

Her pace then paused. “You’ll pick me up?”

Yong Hwa confirmed, “I won’t strangers to attack you at this risky hour.”

“I can go home by myself, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. No need—“

“Reject again and I’ll make sure you will sleep outside this night.” Yong Hwa exclaimed, gaining a sudden mouth-shut from her.

She just followed him, lowering down her voice, she agreed, “Ahrasseo.

They reached the car then getting on.

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi, have you eaten? I bring you some sushis!”

Yong Hwa the machine, “Sounds good. But you always keep me unhealthy by always having a meal on midnight.”

She broke a laughter.

Then the car was droven away.

Some metres away from the restaurant, there was a white sedan being parked on the lot, examining the pairing a far.
It was Yunho inside.

An hour ago, he tried to deal with a confusion: he should get off or not, greeted Seo Hyun or not. Jung Shin told everything about Seo Hyun’s condition, then end up to live with his brother. Yong Hwa. Yunho was just pulled the door lock before he caught Yong Hwa approaching the restaurant first, then sat down there for moments, cutting off his act on the spot.

He decided to stop afterwards.

And by their leaving, Yunho swoop around, getting back home. He gripped the steering wheel so tightly, controlling another dislikeness his heart could bear.