Chapter 5.2

A Pencil On The Melody

 

Chapter 5.2

Lips

 

FNC agency was hell busy since the last time he stepped in some ages ago, even he couldn’t remember precisely when. His steps run faster like he was accustomed enough upon the place, gliding and searching the exact room he wanted to catch in seconds. Where is it? Where is it?

The fact that she didn’t show any clues to stop interfering his life expanded his thrill onto the verge of explosion. Her attempts towards him were too far to endure somehow, too personal, too impossible, and always too determined; karate class for the mention. Every nerve-wrecking scene he experienced while facing Seo Joo Hyun, induced him to furiously craved for her disappearance on his peaceful, well-managed life.

He wanted to hate her, crazily.

But the good news from his father’s health just now, though it was just a little, induced him to be grateful upon her.

Yong Hwa then explored the corridors, sneaking from every room’s glass windows, turning around, then swifting into left and right direction in alert, before finally reaching one of the practice room in the corner. 

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi?”

Someone paused his pace, and when he spun around, a tall guy whose brown long hair, deepening some wrinkles on his eyebrows, stood right beside him. They shared glance for one second, while Yong Hwa processing the memory inside his head. Bad him, it just didn’t produce such a good information about this guy.

“I’m Lee Jung Shin,” That guy looked understanding enough by his confusion, “Seo Hyun’s friend. We had met on.. well, maybe it was shameful one, we’re the one who tricked you on sidewalk long time ago.”

Gradually, a circle from his mouth signed a knowing mark by the memory processing. He managed to simply responded in time, “Hello, Jung Shin-ssi. But sorry, I have to go.” He started to step while Jung Shin stopped him again.

“Wait. Are you looking for Seo Hyun?”

By that time, he quickly turned back.

And Jung Shin knew he was right. His face then changed, a bit darker. “Well. She’s right there.”  He pointed out a small desk right at another tip of this corner corridor. Then so she was, sitting alone hiding her face by her palms, looked like trying to calm herself on something. Yong Hwa frowned while Jung Shin broke him again, “But, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. She’s not in a good condition.”

 “What do you mean?”

Jung Shin seemed heavy, burdened enough to tell him the truth. But he still let it go. He knew Yong Hwa was such an important person for Seo Hyun self, so he decided to inform, “She just took her turn for audition. And she didn’t make it.”

Yong Hwa’s eyes gradually grew wider in disbelief.

Wait. Wait. Seo Joo Hyun.. fails? He blinked.

For him, Seo Hyun and failure were two incoherent things never stormed inside his brain. Just being her neighbor and karate teacher, he could guess perfectly her character, and how she tried best to always improve over anything she wanted to reach up.

Then Yong Hwa nodded before quickly sliding, approaching her at the other side of the corridor.

*&^%$#

 

Last night, on the way home, in Yong Hwa’s car.

“I’m always looking forward to any good chances in this agency, like music soundtrack audition. I can improve my skill as the member of music team, get more experiences, gain more friends and connections.. All advantages to be better and better musician!” Her eyes glimmered under the shadow of dimp street light. Seoul road was still in full line of cars and buses, crowded. She then looked at him who gave full concentration on the driving, “And I thank you, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi.”

Thrice. She emphasized how grateful she was towards him, whom just kept to fight over her and never received any good approvals. Yong Hwa remembered her past. But he just kept flat, “I did nothing.”

“You bring me to music life. Indirectly, you lead me into my life now.”

He was silent, acting like he was absent, pretending to be amnesia and did not a little remember a pieace of their high school memory.

Seo Hyun smiled for herself, still considering him as someone who totally forgot her, “I can’t wait for the audition, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. I already did my best to compose this song. I worked from night to night, so I hope I can produce my very best melody!”

And Yong Hwa never forgot how pure, awesomely bright, the expression in front of him at that time.

 

Yong Hwa sat mutely next to her, while Seo Hyun didn’t react, unawaring upon his presence. His bad plan towards her to scold her before, was suddenly being snatched away. It was the first time bubbly Seo Hyun dropped into sadness, and he caught it right in front of eyes. For no reason, he felt guilty, and had a need to empathize her.

Seo Hyun covered her face up by her palms while murmuring self-reassurance in a plain tone, “it’s okay, you’re okay. It’s okay, you’re okay. Seo Joo Hyun, you’re okay, you’re okay..”

After one minute, she paused and let silence to fulfil the air. By then she looked up, and her glance caught his eyes right away. She startled enough to see Jung Yong Hwa in this place like this, at this time, “Jung Yong Hwa-ssi?”

He ignored, “Where’s the audition’s room?”

“N-ne?”

“Tell me, Seo Joo Hyun.” Yong Hwa’s face was rigid, following by his usual stern tone.

Seo Hyun’s eyes blinked in total confusion, then she pointed out another private room near their seat absentmindedly. “What are you going to do?”

“My Hyung.” He continuously asked her without answering, “Is he there, too?”                                               

It needed some moments for Seo Hyun to fully digest his emergence and his question bombardement in the same time. “No. He’s not there,” She answered, “No Jung Yunho for my audi--”

“Fine, then.” Yong Hwa got off, looked like preparing for something. Unexpectedly, he grabbed her by wrists and pulled her with him off, “Let’s go.”

She was blanked, and total nothing against Yong Hwa’s strength. She defencelessly being dragged by him to the audition room, in a full of bewilderement. What’s this? Unpredictable Jung Yong Hwa again?

*&^%$#@

 

There were three judges for the music soundtrack audition, sitting on the desk specially prepared in the side of the room, right in front of the main stage. An old red-hair lady who looked terribly critical, a foreign man who dressed matchly and casual, and a Korean man wearing a cap, resembling producer style over dramas and movies Yong Hwa always watched, were the ones who gave the decision. There was one chair being empty, and he guessed it was Yunho’s.

He brought Seo Hyun to the main stage right after the previous participant already finished up the performance, started to be the center of the attention.

“Wait up, Miss. Are you..” The Old Lady flipped the participant forms on her desk, “Seo Joo Hyun-ssi?” Then she looked up at them, frowning while now fully remembering Seo Hyun.

Seo Hyun thought Yong Hwa was nothing but absolute crazy. She then mumbled in hurriedness, “Yes, Madam, Sir, and I’m sorry in advance for disturbing your time and--”  

She pulled her wrist from his clutch then drifted him to step out, but she failed. Yong Hwa stayed stiff, no step on his pace.

“Give her another chance to play.” Yong Hwa broke the annoyed atmosphere around in a firm tone, gaining a compact jerk from the judges by looking up at him in unison, making Seo Hyun to gawk at him.

“She failed,” The Korean Man spat disheartedly, “And that was our ultimate decision.”

“No more chance, Young Boy.” The foreign man added, gaining a slight nod from others in agreement.
“We’re sorry.”

“Who are you, by the way? Are you also a participant?” The Old Lady was the first to recognize who was interested parties and who was not in this matter.

 “He’s my brother,” Yunho broke, appeared from the corner door, getting both surprised and interested by his sight after seeing Yong Hwa stood over there, wrist interlocking with Seo Hyun, but still tried best to control the situation. Yong Hwa stared at him, while Yunho just calmly sat down on his seat, looking up at his young brother relaxedly, “So, what are you going to say, Man?”

Seo Hyun was first to respond. All was impossible since Yong Hwa bringing her here. “We’re nothing to disturb you. I’m really sorry. We just want to go—“

“I’m asking him, Seo Joo Hyun-ssi.” Yunho cut it off, eyes then backed to Yong Hwa, gaining a sudden mouth-shut from Seo Hyun. The other judges just stayed unmoving, following Yunho’s lead by hearing Yong Hwa’s turn, all in uncomfortable gestures.

Silence crawled, getting many bugs kicking under Seo Hyun’s stomach. She was nervous.

“For me, Seo Joo Hyun-ssi is--” Yong Hwa began, tightening his grip on Seo Hyun’s wrist. “..the most dedicated person I’ve ever met.” The words glided from Yong Hwa’s lips gained larger eyes from Seo Hyun, and a heavy surprise from Yunho. “She won’t fall for failure, she won’t give up for refusal, she easily moves on, she is positive, and the main point, she had put so much effort, all her best, into this music project. None can diminish her chance for this position.”

And that was Yong Hwa’s point after the sudden urge to push her here.

He should be uncare for Seo Hyun’s failure after all the annoyance that woman threw towards him. He should ignore her depression and she deserved his very bad response. But all Yong Hwa did today was the inversion. He couldn’t help himself to expand his arms in help after the difficulty she just faced, and ended up here, reflexively trying to help her. The reason behind his action, he honestly couldn’t find why and how this could be happened.

Seo Hyun blinked.She was both amazed and surprise.

Yunho was immersed on his spot.

“Well, Young Man.” The Old Lady said, “Actually the reason why we didn’t accept Ms. Seo Joo Hyun is not her music ability, nor her personality which is mentioned very well in her CV.” She then looked at them, “It’s about her song. First kiss song. The soul in it, is none.”

Both Yong Hwa and Seo Hyun stayed mutely.

“Seo Joo Hyun-ssi,” The Korean Man examined Seo Hyun in a serious gaze, “I want to ask you, please answer honestly.” Gaining a slow nod from her, he continued, “Did you ever get a first kiss?”

It was too personal, out of nowhere. But she couldn’t deny it.

“I--“ She gulped, stomach was churned in hesitance, “Not.. yet.” The ‘yet’ word from went weak. She bent her neck to embarrassedly hide her face.

“That’s!” The Korean Man pointed Seo Hyun, “The reason why we can’t accept you, Miss. You didn’t know the feeling. Maybe you’ve watched many movies to deepen your own feeling, but it’s still different.”

“This song is technically wonderful. But it’s dry.” The Old Lady spat out, affirming. “And Miss, you’re young and still have long way to experience, you can try later.”

“Sorry.” The last words from the foreigner man gave another absolute thunder for Seo Hyun. She had to heard the rejection again.

She finally nodded, trying to receive reality while reassuring his heart again. The rejection was real hit for her, but hearing the reason, if that was just the key of her failure, she should receive it bad or good.

Yong Hwa unbelieavably still stood in his position in rigid expression, “Is just that? Just a real kiss?”

The judges snapped, “Ne?”

Yong Hwa, on the other side, didn’t see that matter as a rational reason. He was pumped up.

Then the scene at the main stage afterward brought many pairs of eyes to dilate. Yunho was jerked on his position, wanted to jump upon something went out of his expectation.

Yong Hwa discharged their intertwined wrist then quickly returned to face her. His free hands then reached her face, pulled it closer while his chin went down, locking his lips on her. Pressuring lightly in a wet and tender sudden kiss, he made Seo Hyun’s eyes grew larger in shock.

She was about to protest but Yong Hwa was extremely faster, he grabbed her by another planted kiss before she could mutter anything. His eyes closed while exploring the contour of her lips in a smooth move, giving no maneuver, letting her to enjoy the soft rhythm he created. His hands were around her head, fixing up the position, inducing Seo Hyun not to push against him.

She strangely gradually shut her eyes. The rhytm brought her to reply. Deepening the feeling and heart-bursted in a time, he naturally followed him.

Something churned her belly, inducing his heart to beat irregularly, and waving a jolt all over her body.

After around one minute Yong Hwa then stopped, detaching his lips on hers, swallowing the remaining move he almost bumped into again. Meanwhile Seo Hyun started to open her eyes, meeting his in disbelief.

Yong Hwa then backed to the judges whose mouth gawked, getting already hell-surprised by the unexpected action they just saw, including Yunho, who just agaped motionlessly.

“She just got her first kiss.” Yong Hwa uttered gaining a slow loading inside everyone’s mind, “Let her play her music again.”

Yong Hwa caught the judges started to murmur by themselves, discussing, protesting.

“Fine. Go on.” Yunho was the one who took the decision, ignoring any other three pair eyes beside him in disagreement. The judges finally got silent, eyes focusing on Seo Hyun.

Yong Hwa turned around to face the statue Seo Hyun, whose soul being snatched away of nowhere after the incident. It was too much. Being rejected and kissed at the same time, combining her two absolute different feelings to be one. She didn’t know what to choose, how to express herself.

Yong Hwa whispered softly, “Let your feeling talks, Seo Joo Hyun. If you hated the kiss, voice that out. If you like it..” He paused, a flash of kiss scene snapping around his mind, a bit getting embarrassed, “..also let that out. Play with your heart.”

She shook her head trying to control her feeling, “Jung Yong Hwa-ssi. I can’t.. I don’t know.. You’re crazy!” She hissed.

“This is not the right time to fight. Do it.”

“Yong—“ She was incredulous to step out, out of words. Attempting to place everything nicely to digest one scene to be linked to others, she tried to manage her scrambled feeling. “I don’t know what to do.”

Yong Hwa then quickly guided her to the piano, placing her on the chair. “Believe in yourself. Voice it out.”

She waverly followed him, examining the contour and the shape of piano while calming herself, controlling every emotion she just bore. Fine. She calmed herself, shutting her eyes to set everything on the right place. Piano and soul. Melody. My feeling.

Kiss.

Jung Yong Hwa.

She inhaled.

Fine, Seo Joo Hyun.

She opened her eyes to catch his, gradually getting the sense back.

Yong Hwa patted her shoulder reassuringly, getting a seat near to her and unexpectedly, grabbing an acoustic guitar that was prepared for audition at the other side of the stage.

Her pair of eyes got larger. She couldn’t count how many shock Yong Hwa just threw to her today. “You’ll play that?” she hissed.

“I’ll help you.” Yong Hwa said.

She was nothing, but again, followed his lead in huge surprise. What’s happened with him? Is he really Jung Yong Hwa? I can’t even.. She shook her head and began to manage self.

While Yunho straightened up his position on his desk, full-attentively examining Yong Hwa and Seo Hyun on stage. He was getting both excited and surprise by his brother action. He needed seven years to chase after him, and just by sending Seo Joo Hyun out, the result was extremely improve. Although deep down inside, he could feel something odd raised. It was strange but he didn’t actually like this fact.

Right on the stage, Seo Hyun’s fingers began to raise and drop right on the piano tuts, dancing from key to key on the opening part. Moving right here and there, her hands flying lightly while producing melodious beats all over the parts.

She then smoothened up the notes, shutting her eyes to be mingled inside the song, embodying self.

It was unexpected. Unpredictable.

And sudden.

She remembered while Yong Hwa’s lips snatched her, finally pressuring it and fully covered hers up.

It’s physically wet, warm, and tender.

The recall of the incident rolled inside her mind.

I felt like being stormed by electrical current and then got paralyzed. Mind stopped running. Heart pounded restlessly. I felt so defeated by the rhytm, then finally let my so soul to flow by it, giving up everything while beliving him.

Believing him.

Believing Jung Yong Hwa.

His jumping fingers run onto the next part. The melody became stronger afterwards.

We have strong boundary upon each others. We never really get along well. We experience strange interaction.

But we are always connected..

The melody led her to the self-movie of her and Yong Hwa, since the first time they met and what faiths they bumped into each other.

My first kiss.. is strange. Without permission.

But what I say, I oddly didn’t hate it.

She heard Yong Hwa tried to catch her melody through his strummed guitar strings, and it didn’t need any minutes for him to finally follow her rhytm perfectly without any mistakes. Yong Hwa could guess the keys she played and the intricate melody she just put upon the song rightly. The guitar plucks were slipped in every space she made, such an improvisation no one could play on the first try.

She smiled.

She finally could see him again, being one on melody. It was like a dream. Even if she failed and being rejected by audition thousand times, having a duet with Yong Hwa and listening to his playing was very much worth it than everything.

She ended the song by jerking up her fingers upon the tuts, letting the remaining feeling out.

She felt complete by finishing the song, due to the soul of the piano, and Yong Hwa.

All she heard afterwards was a loud clapping. And when she looked for the owner, it was Yunho giving standing ovation. She couldn’t help it but gave him the very most touching smile. See your brother, Jung Yunho-ssi!

Both Yong Hwa and Seo Hyun then stood up.

“Fine.” The Old Lady finally took a voice, “Fine, Miss.” She turned over other judges, and they all nodded slightly. She than backed to her, “We already heard that and.. honestly, that was a beautiful duet. Why dkd you perform alone earlier if you will show us this awesome performance?”

“This was impromptu.” She answered.

The judges startled in amazement.

“Are you serious?” The Old Lady asked, gaining a sure nod from her, she blinked, “Fine then. That was great, once again. We are sorry and, welcome to the team.” She finally scretched a smile.

Seo Hyun squeaked in surprise, “Really? Thankyou!” She closed to control her explosion, “Oh God!” She hissed. “I can’t believe it.”

Yong Hwa caught her response. He threw a little small for himself, a happiness creeped his heart. He was crazy, maybe, seeing the insecure Seo Joo Hyun could push him to this level. But he was contended.

She then managed to give a bow, while Yong Hwa also did that.

Both of them than walked, stepping out the room. Seo Hyun couldn’t stop her thankful bow along with her pace, while Yong Hwa just hid another grin on his face.

Yunho stayed mutely, not able to mutter anything after the duet. No one could describe his feeling over his brother. He wanted to cry seeing this incredible, extremely rapid progress.  

Yong Hwa, you just got your life back, Man!

“Jung Yunho-ssi.” The Old Lady called Yunho, “What’s your brother name, anyway?”

“It’s Jung Yong Hwa.” Yunho answered without turning around, gaze located on the exit door while Seo Hyun and Yong Hwa fully stepped away.

And The Old Lady scribbled down Yong Hwa’s name upon the form all out Yunho’s attention.

That Hyung shook his head. He couldn’t count how much he owe Seo Hyun, how much he should be grateful upon her.

But there was sudden dislikeness under his chest. Over their closeness.

 

*&^%$#@

 

Yong Hwa walked two steps away from her, managing the awkward feeling he just bore. He was the first to initiate everything. First to grab her, first to drag her, and the most important point, first to land a kiss on her lips.

He felt stupid, and embarrassed. Jung Yong Hwa, you’re just too much. Who is Seo Joo Hyun beside an intruder? Pabo!

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi!” She stopped him, and Yong Hwa paused his pace, “Can we talk?”

He then turned around reluctantly. All he wanted to do now was escaping from this place as fast as he could. “Congratulation,” He let the silence slip a little, “And sorry.. for being impudent.”

“Thankyou.” Seo Hyun scretched a smile. She tried to push the awkwardness surrounded them, getting as common as she could express herself upon him, like usual, “Thankyou for having a duet with me. That was.. magic.”

Yong Hwa snapped out.

He was also happy, grabbing guitar after many years, then played it out.. he didn’t have any idea how much he was trembling to endure his longing of music while strumming the strings just a moment ago.

“Seo Joo Hyun, I--“

“I know,” She put a little smile on her face, facing him back in a firm Seo Joo Hyun, “You have rational reason for suddenly kissing me, right? You just wanted to help me to get my feeling, I understand that.”

Yong Hwa blinked. Yes, of course, that’s it. Of course. He bit his lower lip.“Glad you know” was all he could mutter.

She nodded, “I won’t count that.”

“What?”

“I will forget that. The kiss.”

“Ah,” He got it. Yes, it’s nothing. “Fine.” Then he continued, “So do I.”

“Deal.” Seo Hyun put another smile, taking a bow to him. “Thankyou once again.”

Yong Hwa then nodded in a goodbye sign. He turned around and slowly walked away, his face gradually went sour.

There was a slight disappointment crawling inside his heart upon her manageable ignorance by this kiss incident. He then shook his head, trying to erase this feeling. Forget it, Yong Hwa, forget your insane act.

Seo Hyun halted the bow longer, hiding the opposite feeling upon her words right away. When she looked up again, seeing Yong Hwa’s back by his leaving, her smile vanished. Somehow it hurt to declare something she didn’t want to say. Something, she herself wanted to memorize.

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi!” She suddenly screamed out, gaining a pause from Yong Hwa. “I’m still waiting for your comeback here. I won’t go until you get back to music!”

Yong Hwa was silent hearing her sentence, putting another slight smile on his face.

The fact that Seo Hyun didn’t an inch loose in faith upon him, he felt oddly relief. It was crazy but he was accustomed enough with her around him, her strong passion, and her all chasing after him.

To be honest, a part of his heart craved for music, another part still rejected. Both fight in domination, and he couldn’t decide yet until now.

He just kept his step away, leaving her behind.

 

*&^%$#@

It was middle night and Yong Hwa still rolled out on his bed, slamming his blanket to cover all his body. He then smacked his own pillow to his face, wanted to diminish any scene he just passed by today. He couldn’t shut his eyes to jump into a sleep. . He rolled again.

The kiss scene was continuously being replayed inside his mind.

Behind Yong Hwa’s wall, there was Seo Joo Hyun’s bed in a brake while the owner twirled self around and did the same. She brought her keroro blanket to cover her face. Stop it, Stupid! She badly wanted to pause the movie being played inside her head.

Also her first kiss incident.

*&^%$#@

 

Yunho’s presence on Seo Hyun’s working room gained a small commotion upon her workmates. Many employers wanted badly to know the reason why on earth the director stepped in this room, looking for her in person.

Yunho ignored, and just put a wide smile while reaching for her desk, “Hello.” He greeted.

Seo Hyun was startled enough to see him, “Jung Yunho-ssi!” She squealed, “Why are you here? You just can call me to yours!”

“I want to meet you, Seo Hyun-ssi.” Yunho replied, “And personally want to say this to you.”

“What’s that?” She asked.

“Thankyou for having a duet with my brother. That was.. spectacular.” He grinned, “You’re awesome. I owe you many things. Money won’t be enough.”

Anniyo.´It’s nothing.” She raised her thumb, “It’s okay, Yunho-ssi. I had fun, too. And don’t worry, I won’t stop until I got Jung Yong Hwa here.”

He agreed. A bit sour smile crossed on his face hearing her explanation.

What’s happened with you, Jung Yunho?

“Fine, then.” Yunho nodded, “You’ve rejected your own fee, so what should I do now?” Yunho raised his eyebrows.

Seo Hyun bursted of laughter. “What should you do now..” She repeated, “.. is none.” Then continued to laugh, “You think of this matter too much, Yunho-ssi. Just take it easy.”

“How about..” His eyebrows went higher, halting the continuation. “You have a dinner with me after Hara’s class this evening?”

“Ne?” And Seo Hyun giggled. A dinner with your boss, it’s almost impossible. “Jung Yunho-ssi, it’s okay, really. Dinner is the way too much.”

“What too much?” He protested, “Seo Joo Hyun-ssi, this is my special command for you.” He pretended to be stern.

For Seo Hyun, Yunho had so much fun, she laughed again. “God, fine. Who can’t refuse this handsome Director, aigoo.” Even she always felt free to throw a joke, “But not this evening.”

Yunho’s eyebrows wrinkled, “Why?”

“I have a music class in the orphanage. There was a child waiting for my attendance, so I must be there.” Seo Hyun smiled, then gaining an understanding nod from Yunho, “How about you also visit us? It will be great.” Her eyes sparkled.

And Yunho thought for a while, “It’s a deal.” And right after, he got an exclamation clapping from her, “But we still have to get a dinner.”

Ahrasseo.

“Promise?”

“Neeeeee!” She screamed.

Both exploded a laughter. Yunho then straightened up his body, “Great. See you around.”

Seo Hyun paused, “Is just that? Your purpose of getting here just to say that?”

“Neeeeee!” Yunho imitated his style.  And Seo Hyun bursted into another guffaw.

By that, Yunho waved a real goodbye. Seo Hyun then went back to her work without thinking of any suspicious signal.