A Pencil on The Melody Part 11

A Pencil On The Melody

 

They reached the door and Yong Hwa slammed it behind, and rushed to Mr. Jung’s beside before breaking to hold his father’s flabby right hand. Being circled by Yunho, Mrs. Jung, Hara, and Jung’s family doctor, Yong Hwa was unmistakenly trembling. Eyes flickering to halt drops of tears coming down his cheeks, he whispered in soft, cracked and weak voice, “Abeoji..” He was nothing but hoping his father could return his call, soundly and in a tone.

Miracle happened all out of human’s ability and nature strength, Seo Hyun always believed. If there was all time she just found this man lying like a dead on the bed, leaning all his life by all medical survival supports, she could perfectly found two full rounded eyes were fully opened up on him now. Slightly blinking, yet empty, but circle and live.

Her heart kicked her chest when Mr. Jung tried to mouth something. Not even a sound could be heard, his mouth was just clasping the air. Yong Hwa grasped his hand harder, all shaking and vulnerable.

“He’s just silent before you came. Not even trying to speak, just—“ Jung Lyn stated, pointing Yong Hwa. Her eyes through cheeks were all wet, washing by tears she just couldn’t stop by. “He was just staring at us.”

Seo Hyun knew Mrs. Jung was desperate, and Yong Hwa could catch her information, but he chose not to pay a full attention. Until Yunho patted his shoulder and said, “Yong Hwa-yah, lead his way. Ask him to say something.”

Yong Hwa made a light nod. Then he broke, fast and teary up, inhaled, “Abeoji, it’s me, Yong Hwa, your son. What are you feeling? Are you okay? Cold? Do you want me to put you full blanket? I’ll be here, Abeoji. I won’t go anywhere. I promise. I’ll stay by your side every time.”

Mr. Jung still stayed there, producing a mute sound.

Jung Lyn blinked and some crystal tears started wetting her cheeks again. She reached a little Jung Hara and huddled the girl to her motherly embrace, sending all warmth to comfort Hara, who’s still crying and cryin. Yunho, probably the toughest one, stayed there with face and nose red, in the edge of breaking down.

“Abeoji. I miss you. I miss talking to you. I miss you so much. You can hear me, can’t you? Please answer me. Jaebal yo. I beg you.”

Yong Hwa muttered in shaky mixed by complete coarse voice, ready to cry out for seconds.

“Abeoji, please. Jaebal. Answer me. Say something.”

Mr. Jung still gasped in the air. But Seo Hyun knew, everyone knew, he was still struggling to his almost-unfunctional oral muscles, to all his slow nerve impulses, to all his weakness and defencelessness, just to say a word. For his son.

And by the time Mr. Jung’s free hand raised and hanging the air, aiming to Yong Hwa, very slowly reached his son’s left cheek, Seo Hyun felt her heart could miss a beat. She hold her breath and stood unmoving while she heard a broken, indistinct, coarse voice to vibre the air some moments afterwards, “Yong—“ and she completely gasped when she knew where the source was. It was right on the bed, right on his particular lips, coming from Mr. Jung’s vocal chord, “Hwa—My—“ She could feel everyone was frozen, and so did she, so did the time and all, “Son.”

“Abeoji!” Yong Hwa couldn’t handle his emotion, he was cracked.

And now every Jung family’s members broke in unison to reach Mr. Jung and sent a hug to all parts of his body: legs, belly, hands, shoulders, all. Tears of happiness kept flowing everywhere, tears of relief, full of thankful prayer, and mercy. She caught Yong Hwa was so engulfed all by situation, still shivering and fragile, but full of hope and joyful.

Seo Hyun shuddered after a thought about Yong Hwa letting seven years burden out, releasing every inch and piece of sin and guilty that neverendingly pinched almost his whole life.

She blinked, and three drops of tears fell from her eyes. She then turned around immediately sensing the family time and not her to bother out, opening the exit door, and leaning to it after getting out of the room.

She pressed by her own palms, suppressing her emotion, and cried along with everyone inside. She was happy for him, for his family, for everyone who’s part of this big Jung relatives.

Thank, God. Thank you so much.

 

*&^%$#@

 

Yong Hwa was still eyes open when time shifted into midnight. Mr. Jung was already sleeping, but Yong Hwa himself was in the opposite, still fully awake. Meanwhile Seo Hyun just happened to have a dinner at his house with Jung family, except himself. Yong Hwa chose to stay by his father’s side rather than stepping away from bedside, doing nothing but keeping his father’s company, all unmoving and certain.

She came closer just a few steps after slipping in to Mr. Jung’s room, then calling him in a careful tone, “I’m going home, Yong Hwa-ssi.”

Yong Hwa’s attention was still on his father, not looking at her, “Dinner?”

“Perfectly had. Thank you so much.”

Another silence crawled up while she knew Yong Hwa was thinking of something.

“Stay here a night.”

It was unusual for him to mutter such a soft and demanding note, so she just skipped his sentence. “Ne?

“Just stay here. I’ll prepare you a room.”

Realizing an over-kindness, she was nothing but politely made an excuse. Expect too much out of dinner and all coming from her boss’ family, she just knew her line. “Thank you, but no, Yong Hwa-ssi. This is all your family time to be together after long years. I just can’t interrupt you.”

He digested her sentence for a while. Yong Hwa then turned over his shoulder and faced her.

“Seo Joo Hyun, come here.”

She was hesitated but took other few steps. Until she finally stood one block away.

“Closer.”

She took her last step to bring her just an inch dinstant from Yong Hwa.

Her eyes met him when she looked down to where he sat. Yong Hwa broke in a curved, soft smile to plaster on his face. Enough to catch her focus on him.

“Thank you for your companion today, Seo Joo Hyun. Thank you for coming here and give your support to my family.”

It was just a simple thank you and slight smile, but she blinked, nervously. “No. It’s okay. It’s—“

She stopped when she could feel the sudden warm encircling her waist, coming from his arms that hugged her. Yong Hwa’s head pressed against her belly on his sitting position. He was facing another side, and the feel of his curve ears and head line could induce her body to jolt by electricity wave.

She swore she paused breathing while Yong Hwa might count her rapid heart beats inside her chest. It was abnormal ryhtm, for sure.

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi—“

“Let me be. Five minutes, I promise.”

She was waver at first before mashing and let him in.

Yong Hwa gradually started closing his eyes in a time he felt Seo Hyun finally giving in and slowly relax. He absorbed energy and warm this woman could share through her body heat, through her smile and laughter they experienced today, through the new memory they could engrave by this day, and mostly through her ability to magically sweep out his every burden and problem.

“Five minutes passed.” Seo Hyun stated, unknowingly counting the time through a wall watch. All blamed her own strained and tension to groggily stand up.

“Not yet.” Yong Hwa responded lightly. “It’s still a minute.”

She gulped when Yong Hwa’s arms fixed its position to the more comfortable one, and she just waited for her soul to be snatched away for nowhere while she could smell his shampoo through her flaring nose.

“Seriously. I’m—I’m looking right on the watch now.” She tried to focus on her excuse rather than being seduced by this intimate position, whatever it was. Enough for random dating, enough for their doing today.

“You’re so noisy, Seo Joo Hyun.” Right now Yong Hwa was fixing his head and nudged a bit harder against her belly.

The vibration from his voice transmitted by his head bone thrilled her stomach. “And you’re so unreadable, Jung Yong Hwa.”

Yong Hwa smiled. “Please come here by tomorrow.”

“For?”

“Meeting my father.”

She snapped out. What?

“Your father was just waking up, Yong Hwa-ssi.”

“He’ll be grand to meet you, the one who sent him my music. You played a great role here, Seo Joo Hyun, don’t forget.” He added, “Without you, we’ll never know how to be connected to him.”

Her words were locked for a beat. “That was just—“

“Just come. Ahrasseo?

She let the silence to accompany her registering a fact before slowly, nodding.

Well, no wrong to appear yourself as common employee to your very big boss. No wrong to be kind to Mr. Jung. I personally wanted to get along with him, anyway.

Ahrasseo.

By the anwer Yong Hwa was releasing her from his embrace. But the nervousness that enveloped every inch of her heart had not been gone anywhere.

“I’ll pick a driver to send you home.” Yong Hwa blurted, ready to press the quick button on his home parallel phone.

“No need.“

The door was suddenly cracked open to made Yunho’s appearance by then. The older man aimed Seo Hyun and immediately asked, “Seo Joo Hyun-ssi, are you done? Let me give you a ride.”

It was quick, she had no time to make a decision. Especially after Yong Hwa slightly raised his eyebrows and gave her a meaningful look to follow his brother, “See you tomorrow.” He definitely produced a final goodbye.

So she waverly turned around and dropped her body to a bow, “Thank you so much, Sajangnim—Yunho-ssi.” She shot Yunho with a sorry look.

Yunho laughed, “We should make a punishment deal if you happen to call me like that out of office again.”

Mianhe.” She uttered, “I’ll adjust myself to address you.”

Yunho laughed harder. “Very well, Seo Joo Hyun-ssi.” Grinning, Yunho’s eyes then shifted to Yong Hwa’s, “We’re going.” He took a step behind to give Seo Hyun a way for pace.

Seo Hyun turned around a bit to send Yong Hwa a goodbye wave and bow before stepping out through the door with Yunho. Who was to her surprise, caught her by wrist and pushed her to walk along in chained hands.

Yong Hwa shot them a long, puzzled, quizzical, yet suspicious look.

And she was forced from somewhere, that after being dismissed from Yong Hwa’s sight, she dropped her hands to be separated from Yunho’s in instant.

“Sorry,” was all she uttered to Yunho, but she coulnd’t point what exactly that apologize word for.

*&^%$#@

Tidying her working desk was like a breakfast because she always did it every morning before her hours started. But discovering a bunch of yellow roses in this early day right beside her computer, she was rather confused than blasted.

Good luck on your music! Hope it will turn to be a real hit. And today’s theme is yellow! So, you should shine and glow like a sun. Just by doing your best, you’ll be radiant, like you always do. But don’t forget to be happy. –YH

She was now literally thrilled. Contended due to a nice small surprise in the morning, but yet craving to find the sender who just revealed an initial. YH.

Wait. Is this Yong Hwa?

“Roses from your new boyfriend, huh?” Jung Shin chimed in, appearing from main hall door and then going straight to his desk near her.

She shook head but didn’t know why she was blushing hearing his tricky teasing.

“Your soundtrack is not out yet but you’ve already created a fan.” A grin was sticked on Jung Shin’s face triggering a nervous laughter from Seo Hyun, “Who is it, by the way?”

She strangely kept thinking forth about Yong Hwa but on the contrary showing a clueless sign on Jung Shin. She shrugged and played cool, “No idea.” She could feel Jung Shin’s eyes were still on hers so she just searched for better topic conversation, “You’re still in this soundtrack’s charge, by the way?”

“Oh. Yes.” Jung Shin cleared his throat awkwardly before saying, and admitting, “I’m taking back my words yesterday. I’m just—too repulsive, jumping into Jung Yong Hwa’s throat and behaved unpolitely to him. Scratch that boss and employee partnership, but I did behave badly to him.” Jung Shin gulped, then continued in serious tone, “But he, Jung Yong Hwa, he sent me personal evaluation papers contained by my progress, my achievements, my pluses, my lacks, all, since the day I entered this company. And I realize that I was too egoistic and theoretical and—“

Seo Hyun’s brows grew narrower, “And?”

Instead of answering, Jung Shin asked her a quite unexpected question, “Since when you played or heard any Disney Songs, by the way?”

“What?” Her face was full of questions, bus she answered it anyway, “Elementary school, I guess?”

“Jung Yong Hwa made me to hear them again.”

Seo Hyun’s expression was in exact clueless.

“I was entering music because I loved Disney, Hyun-ah. Disney songs, to be specific. And it was my top motivation to make me strum guitar, then bass, just to play Disney Songs when I was child.” Jung Shin stated, getting tickled by his own revelation. Finding the tense on Seo Hyun’s furrow got weaker, he said in softer tone, “Briskly, Jung Yong Hwa just made me to play music by heart. Again. Purely and naturally. Without burden and the urge to be perfect.”

And by then other staff come one by one, stating that they were too receiving Yong Hwa’s personal evaluation papers. A stack of notes, graphs, and messages that could drive them to sit back, and they finally declared that they were gladly enjoying the process of this soundtrack arrangement by now. No protest and no bashing, so she presumed, all situartion was peaceful and under control. Another good side on Jung Yong Hwa she was secretly proud and amazed. As boss, he definitely took this team seriously, evaluating then motivating them.

She headed to Yong Hwa’s room after finishing her raw music concept right before lunch. A melody she just created on their school after the dumb date, plus a little polish to this music score she did all night long: deleting, adding, and perfection. After getting inside his room, she showed him her digital piano version on his working computer, started discussing.

She was nothing but crap, naturally examine all his serious expression in such a hell, very very closed distance: his mouth a bit opened, stare right on screen, and statue-like body position.

She was all stunned.

“Here.” Yong Hwa then pressed a pause button and dragged the note mark some space backwards before starting the music began in that part. “You could make a bit jumpy rhytm with drum rolls or strong guitar stumming here. Maintain the strings voice, and hardening the piano in this part.”

It took less than half of minute for him to edit that his pointed part. Her lips shaped ‘O’ in amazement after he played his edit version.

“That was definitely promising.” She praised.

“It was about young first date. Full of heart beats and nervousness, desire to hold hands but backing off, eager to kiss but delaying the urge. From this part to this part, you could enter some heart beat effects, and let the melody a bit naughty.” Yong Hwa replayed again, showing what he could do some magic on her creation.

Seo Hyun nodded knowingly, still getting mesmerized. “Got it.”

It took less than ten minutes for her to absorb his correction and suggestion. She managed a simple thankful bow before leaving, until she remembered the roses she just got with an initial that was badly closed to his name, “Jung Yong Hwa-ssi.” She turned around after the door.

Yong Hwa brought his head to look up at her, stating ‘what’s up’ on his raising eyebrows.

The words were just in the edge of before clumping into a back off, “Umm—Nothing.”

And the multiple knocks on his door cracked her hesitancy.

“Yes?” Yong Hwa made an excuse to his guest, inducing Seo Hyun to open up the door for him.

It was Jung Shin standing there with a grin on his face, “Jung Yong Hwa-ssi, may I consult my concept on this music with you? Will get you ten minutes long, approximately?”

Seeing Yong Hwa nodded earnestly and let Jung Shin to sit down made Seo Hyun to politely excuse. Though she was still craving for answer, still pointing no one else but Yong Hwa. Oh God, actually, she wanted it to be him.

And by the days after this, she just received daily roses on her desk. Some days were orange roses and then red, white or pink. Regarding the mood the sender want to deliver, like orange meant spirit, so the message stated she could maintain hear health and preserve her energy for the best. And on.

She did a slight spy on Yong Hwa's reactions, expression, and habit but that man seemed clueless and out of reach. Or he was just playing cool by fully concentrating on works and his father's matter, but still, there was no sign of roses thing even blurting out from his lips. He was still there, guiding the music soundtrack, sending suggestions to his team yet somehow being hard and spitting harsh words, but there he was. A music geniur Jung Yong Hwa. Briliant inspiration, ideas, and composer, not roses-sender or worse, secret admirer.

Until she was suddenly summoned by Yunho on lunch. They had enjoyful chat and she agreed to take a promise he just requested.

It was for FNC company birthday party.

*&^%$#@

 

Four weeks afterwards.

The staff had brought sweat all over their body until the day they finished up the music recording. It was Seo Hyun on the last turn. She played piano all along, mixing and joining instruments sound, and the end, she herself singing for vocal version at their respectful soundtrack recording. Energy drainer, sleep-deprived, health-stake, everything cracked her bones to separate in one or three, beside all her muscles to scream at sore. But those tirednesses then swept away after she stepped out the recording room, officially ending up her dreadful yet joyful duty, being welcomed by all staff outside.

“End!”

“Good job, Seo Hyun! Awesome, guys!”

“I can’t believe this is finally over!”

They changed thankful hug and friendly embrace. Doing high-five and praising each other. Rhapsody was melt up the air, sparkling like cheerful stars next to fireworks sky.

“Hyun-ah!”

She caught Jung Shin came towards her then crushed her immediately.

“Congratulation, Jung Shin-ah.”

“Congratulation, Seo Hyun-ah.” They disattached the embrace after some time exchanging happy warm through each other, “You know, somehow we made it.”

“I can’t wait for the drama to release.”

Jung Shin spread a full grin on his face before breaking to excuse himself, joining another staff to deliver his joy.

She smiled to everyone beatitude and spun around.

That was she clearly saw Jung Yong Hwa’s replying many respectful bows, hugs, and congratulation greetings all around. Just some metres away from her spot.

And she was reeling.

The time on the process, she couldn’t deny that he was freakingly engulfed by this project. The brilliant composer Jung Yong Hwa turned into a definite workaholic. Spending morning till nights in studio, replaying their team’s song and doing corrections to some parts, and just rest while he had to visit his father, and she stood there witnessing everything. She vowed for herself, for the blissful and success achievement they might receive later, all proud and praise should be pointed to this man.

“Hi.”

Yong Hwa’s eyes shifted to hers in a midst of crowd. “Hi.”

There was unseen wall Seo Hyun wanted to break. The wall that was automatically built up by the time they got closer and undistant, in literal word.

She could feel that they both were holding up something, still unspoken and still-tidily-hidden, though they met for hours to hours in no time for this project.

They were fine after the dumb date, all she could say. More fine to be called good friends, at least, than enemy bickering through each other like they were in the past. For the simple example, it was no longer invitation need for her to visit Mr. Jung. She just could knock his door like another Jung family’s member getting his permission, and she would make it to sit beside him chatting through the whole evening (He got stabile by day, though he still needed some cathethers to maintain his body fluid amount, and some medicines for post-eating). In a sentence, they got along really well.

And for Yong Hwa himself, she figured to see him more frequent and countless, always, every day, in office. But to his responsibility and a stir, they did chat a lot about works, but incredibly less for no work-related-topics. She hated it? No. She just strangely yearned of their unimportant scream and shouts, childish bickering and sharp mocking they had many times ago.

Yong Hwa crushed her to a tight embrace, inducing her eyes to grow larger.

“Thank you.” His whisper brushed off her ears, tingling and tender, “For your hard work, Seo Joo Hyun.”

His heat enveloped all her ability to breath, or to think a reply, “Thank you for giving me this opportunity.”

Yong Hwa closed his eyes for some time, absorbing something Seo Hyun couldn’t precisely guess. Somehow muteness and silence did talk a lot. And whatever it was, it successfully took Yong Hwa to release his long burden. He looked more peaceful and relief inside her hug.

“Are you happy?” The words were gliding like a bowling ball on the floor field, she just said.

She could feel Yong Hwa smiled, “I’m so contended, Seo Joo Hyun, I think I’m going insane.”

Then he released her, every attachment but her wrist.

She shot him questional look but Yong Hwa just cluth her hand to his and let their intertwined fingers to be inside his jacket’s pocket. They stayed there all along until he finished the greetings to every staff with just his one side free hand.

Yong Hwa then pulled her to his car after the moment.

*&^%$#@

 

“It was annual ritual to our family to go visit this respectful grave.” Mrs. Jung gave her an explanation. She was now standing beside Yong Hwa in Mr. Jung’s room, with Yunho at this lady’s side on Seo Hyun and Yong Hwa’s opposite.

“He was FNC’s former. The real one, I was just his successor.” Mr. Jung added, smiling, remembering his old friend that was died in the middle of his carreer, and left Mr. Jung a stack of responsibility to build FNC and their music industry. “He was a genius composer, music prodigy, and pianist. A brilliant young man. His death engraved to my heart deeply until now, I can’t just ignore him. Especially after seven years being a deadman, I really missed him.”

“And visiting his grave before FNC birthday next week is obligatory. Beside, we plan to launch the drama soundtrack just some days after this. We have ritual here, and two big upcoming events.” Mrs. Jung chimed again.

“What can I do now?” Seo Hyun wanted to be in charge. She would gladly receive all this Mr. and Mrs. Jung order to her.

“Go visit him. With Yong Hwa.” Mr. Jung gave her a command, glancing at Yong Hwa who just nodded after a slight silence.

“I’m going, too.” Yunho stated in reflex, looked a bit alarmed.

“No. You stay here with me.” And by this ultimate Mr. Jung’s order, it sent Yong Hwa and Seo Hyun to leave the room after taking a bow.

“What can I do for you, Abeoji?” Yunho asked after taking a position in bedside, his brother and Seo Hyun was already vanished. It was always serious talk to begin when his father requested a private chat.

“Lyn-ah,” Instead of answering his son, Mr. Jung called his wife that was sitting next to him, “Would you mind to take a wooden box I kept on my work drawer? You’re not moving my stuff out, aren’t you?”

Jung Lyn plastered a nice small to his husband, “I’m bringing it for you.”

“Thank you.”

Then she also stepped away, getting out from Yunho’s sight. His curiousity brought up to quite high level in a minute, what on earth his father wanted to say to him.

“You’re doing great by leading FNC until this state, and be our family leader, Yunho-yah.”

Yunho dropped his neck slightly, “It’s my job, Abeoji.”

“I feel like burdening you all this time. You hate me for being unable to be reached, to give you no choice but controlling the crowd and chaos I left, especially what Yong Hwa threw to you. Am I right?”

“You’re wrong, Abeoji. Once again, it’s my duty, and Yong Hwa’s my brother.”

He smiled, a soft smile Yunho yearned for these seven years.

Mr. Jung raised his one hand and rubbed Yunho’s arm, “I’m proud of you, Yunho-yah.”

And by that sincere sentence Yunho wanted to teary up. How hard he tried to be seen by his father other than a nature-music-prodigy Yong Hwa, from child to this time he still had the urge to try harder and do the very best. All to be visible at least once, other than his brother that carried real Jung’s blood. To be visible as Jung Yunho that was enable to convey Jung name in this world.

“As your father, I feel like doing nothing but always throwing you duties and duties. Let’s talk as a brother and father, Yunho-yah. Not like Mr. Jung and Jung Yunho. Since this second. I hope I’m not late yet.”

Yunho nodded, heart was touched, “Ne.”

“So,” Mr. Jung started, “You do like her, don’t you?”

Startling, Yunho turned around and shooting his father with a surprise look, “What?”

“Seo Joo Hyun.”

Hearing her name could induce Yunho’s eyes to snicker rapidly.

“She’s nice girl, very polite and definitely has manner. I’ll support you on this matter.”

“Abeoji—“

“What? Am I wrong?”

“No—it’s not like that. It’s just—“

“Say bravely, Son. I’m not scarying you.” Mr. Jung let out a short laugh, making Yunho to join him, still in nervous tone. “Tell me your progress. I’ll be your good listener.”

By then Jung Lyn entering the room and show Mr. Jung the wooden box he wanted to find.

That man grabbed it and opened it up.

“What’s that, Abeoji?” Yunho asked first, curious to papers, photos, and maybe messages all kept inside the box his father started to explore.

“Look at this.”

Mr. Jung took out a photo and gave it to Yunho and Jung Lyn, and both of them started to examine the picture of a girl on it. Closed up photo. A teenage girl, around fifteen, wearing uniform and school bag, smiling widely and cheerfully, hair tighted to two tails, and her face—everyone gasped.

*&^%$#@

 

“His name is Seo Jae Suk.” Yong Hwa explained. “Uri Abeoji’s best friend, FNC’s former.”

Yong Hwa and Seo Hyun stood before a grave. They were carrying wines, fruits, some foods to be put in front of the stone.

“You know, Seo Joo Hyun, maybe more than half of my family’s wealth was coming from this man's sweat. I feel like, wanting to find his child and gave them the rights to own resort or buildings my family own until now.”

Yong Hwa sent a small smile before starting to arrange the stuff they bought and brought along.

But there, he found Seo Hyun to be all statue and unresponsive.

“Seo Joo Hyun?” He turned around, “Are you okay?”

He swore he just saw her spacing out.

She broke, “Ne? I’m sorry. I’m fine.”

“Come. Let’s pray.”

She nodded absentmindedly but she could feel a storm. Huge wave that washed her heart to the strange feeling of warm familiarity.

*&^%$#@

“It’s Seo Hyun.” Yunho hissed, still grabbing the photo on his clutch.

“Yes. I suspected this fact since I first saw her.” Mr. Jung added, “She’s definitely Seo Jae Suk’s daughter.”