A Pencil On The Melody

A Pencil On The Melody

 

Chapter 7.1

I'm just flattered

 

It was still 6 a.m when his legs along the street. Running in the morning was another habit he liked a lot, even though somehow he lost faith to do it routinely due to sleepless nights he spent while taking care of his father, or spending ultra sweat upon extra karate practices the day before.

Fresh wind, cold air, everything attacking him triggered his body to go faster and faster, cooling him down in some ways. He was burning under the coldness.

It was almost one week he could do such an activity since his daily needs seemed to be outstandingly handled without his own touch anymore.

Having Seo Joo Hyun at home meant his half works was relied, or automatically taken care by her. Or briefly, his life was saved in a very better way.

If he used to get meals outside, right now the healthy breakfast would be guaranteedly prepared on the table right after he opened his eyes up from a deep sleep.  

If he left unwashed clothes just right on washing machine and planned to deal with them next week, recently they would return clean just in two days.

If he was ultimately sticked on broom and vacuum cleaner, strictly did daily cleaning, for one week those utensils looked like an old friends saying a forever goodbye to him.

Everything was spotless under Seo Hyun’s hands.

If some day she admitted to him that she was a witch, a magic user, lived in such a planet named earth, he would unquestionably believed it. Or someday if she blurted out that she had more than two hands yet two legs, or she could divide her body onto two or three Seo Joo Hyun-s, he was sure he couldn’t deny those fool fantasies.

How can a woman be that strong? Doing both primary job along with part time job until mid night, and still be able to handle every little thing?   

Somehow it gave him a thrill.

Her persistence upon something.

If she said she would do it, no matter what she would bring it into reality.

If she said she would solve her problem and did additional job to fulfill her apartment rents all by her own, she would hardly, faithfully made it until the very last opportunity.

And if she said she would get him back to music, she would fight him until the end. Powerfully yet powerlessly.

Those facts induced his corner lips to curve into a light twitch, remembering those brave eyes of her while glaring at him since their first encounter, after all those sweet high school memories.

For all of things in this blissful world, objectively he couldn’t reject her anymore.

If frustration dominated every feeling his heart provided upon her and her never ending obsession-to-make-him-come-back, on the other side, a joyful yet gratitude made their move to sneak in over an empty space. Inducing him to cringe and thank to her at the same time.

Seo Joo Hyun is indeed a superwoman.

Yong Hwa felt his legs bringing him to break into a regular walk. His panting went along the sweat drops fell all over his body. He then tried to regulate his hard breath into a steady rhythm. The view of the apartment building at the end of street reeled his mind to the figure of her again.

At this hour she probably had done bathing.

*&^%$#@

 

And she did finish bathing.

But what the hell, she couldn’t go out of the bathroom.

Impossible enough, with no clothes she forgot to bring along at the first place.

She tightly wrapped her straight towel around her body, hair wet, and foot so slippery risky. The lower part of the wrapping-towel just reached over her mid thigh, insecure enough to stay unblushing by imagining someone could see her in this appearance. Wavering, she badly hoped no one could bump her in the middle of going right to her luggage outside, searching for a decent work suit.

Just ten seconds. Ten seconds without Jung Yong Hwa’s sudden emergence. She prayed demurely. Or else, I’ll die right beneath this small towel just before him.

Her half-face made the way out to sneak in firstly, eyes sweeping all over the sides and corners. Finding it safe enough, she tiptoed out the bathroom going to her luggage laying beside the bed, head turning all around in alert. C’mon, just five meters away. C’mon!

KRIIIIT.

She hold her breath.

The door was swung open. Then being closed in moment.

She was glued on the floor, eyes widened in anticipation, misgiving, and embarrassment after she noticed perfectly who was standing right before her. It was just a time for Yong Hwa to turn, finally facing her, stared her in very same shocked eyes after catching all her looks.  

Silence glimpsed for some seconds. Drops of water fell from her end hair strands.

“T—urn around!” She screamed in reflex, tightening her grip on her met-point towel wrap.

It needed split moments for Yong Hwa to register what happened before he finally followed her command, eyes blinking to handle his hard surprise.

Having Seo Joo Hyun almost was the last thing he could imagine in this early morning. In that just a straight towel that was supposed to cover just her shampooed-hair, she was gleamed beneath that creamy white skin which was almost exposed all over her own. Her long black hair framed in a full wet picturing an additional y looks on the Goddess of her.

Yong Hwa coughed nervously, trying hard to pretend casual.

“You can’t see me, right?” She made sure, still stood behind him, not moving a bit.

Yong Hwa cleared his throat for a normal voice. “Do you think I have double eyes on my back?”

Seo Hyun finally inhaled before warning him again, “Don’t ever spin around until I tell you to. Stay right there.”

No answer meant he understood.

So she stepped away, making her move to the luggage in so much faster speed and chose the random suit in hurry. She quickly grabbed a blue dress from the top without any thoughts, then almost running, she planned to going back to bathroom to change.

But unfortunately, she slipped at the place while she spotted Yong Hwa before, producing such a noisy sound.

All blamed her damn drenched hair to cause a slick floor.

“Aaah!” She winced in pain, almost loosening the flip hook on her towel.

Yong Hwa reflexively spun around to catch what happened before she stopped him in his half way, “Don’t!” And he quickly backed to his position with no comments.

With all her might, she tried to stand up in the clutch over the towel hook. The insecure feeling upon Yong Hwa sudden look-at-her was so offending.

And again, the floor was so slippery.

Aish, really!

But then she felt a sudden warmth.

A bedcover enveloped her half-wet body. She blinked and couldn’t help to turn over to someone who’s bringing up the cover, meeting her disbelief eyes. It was no one else but Yong Hwa.

“I—I told you—“ She stammered enough to mutter something. I told you not to spin around, Jung Yong Hwa! She was both surprise and lost.

“Go.” Yong Hwa commanded, neglecting her protest. Another way his jaw was pointing to the bathroom direction. He then turned to finally step away, “I’ll wait outside.” Then he made his way out.

Silence.

“J—Jung Yong Hwa!”

His legs paused.

She hesitated before finally breaking into a soft sincere smile. “Thank you.”

Just a word to make Yong Hwa blinked for two times.

“Hm.” He suppressed his ‘you’re welcome’ sentence into a short mumble, then quickly went outside.

God.

He pulled a long relieved breath after stepping out, closing the door behind. Shutting his eyes, he struggled to settle his irregular breath, controlling speedy heart beats into regular rhytme. That very moment before was just another challenging time after all his life, he swore for good.

Inside, Seo Hyun still stayed on the floor, crumpling the small part of the bedcover to control the jumps under her chest, then slowly wrapped it around her body with the thought of Yong Hwa’s sudden-bedcover-wrapping chronology rolling in her head. Her lips tugged ear-to-ear afterwards, then headed slyly to the bathroom along with a wide smile hanging on her face. She loved it. Very much.

*&^%$#

She was full-dressed now. Bringing an arm bag and already prepared for work, she stepped outside the apartment just to find Yong Hwa leaning backwards against the wall, eyes closing. He was so well-postured with this pose. Tiny bang fell covered his half-forehead, his well-shaped jaw line and nasal bones were sharpened.

She was flattered for some good seconds.

“Jung Yong Hwa-ssi.” She finally called.

His eyes were gradually opened, then he glanced at her.

Seo Hyun tried hard to manage for a smile. “I—I’ll be back to my house soon.” She informed sincerely.

Right now Yong Hwa was straightening up. “What?”

“I just got a call. A music equipment company offered me a job with promising fee. They want me to perform at their opening ceremony for a new product. And this opportunity.. I’ll definitely take it.”

He heard her explanation and just produced such short response for unrevealed reason, “That’s great.”

She nodded, “They already gave me their number and address. I scribbled down and then keep it inside your draw beside the bed. I don’t want to lose it so..”

“Right. That’s safer place other than you bring the note along.”

There was a heavy tone escaped from , she was clueless why this happened. “And—And tomorrow is te performance day.”

Yong Hwa jerked up, “That’s fast?”

“Ne.”

Yong Hwa blinked, trying to register everything bombing him. Having Seo Joo Hyun at home for one week made him getting used to her presence everywhere. And by letting her back to her home this instant.. it would be definitely everyone’s goal. But why he felt so waver?

“Good then. Faster you go, faster the situation would be better.” He just could response like that.

A curve formed from her lips. “I know. Thank you so much, Jung Yong Hwa-ssi.” She took a demure bow. “I don’t know to repay you.”

Yong Hwa got some muse tickles. Polite Seo Joo Hyun was something new for him. “Don’t mention it.”

It was strange. These situations while both of them showing so many manners for each other through words like this. He could feel that something restrained them.

After all this time, their connections were a thread bringing up spontaneity, fluctuations, and jumps. There’s no wrong for this conversation, of course, but he felt awkward. Moreover, this was what their relation must be since the first place, especially as sunbae-dongsaeng, neighborhood, her boss’ brother-employee, everything. But he disliked it. Their banters were more natural than this.

“Just.. think me as a friend.” He finally said it. Friend?

Seo Hyun blinked.

“Tell me if you’re in problem, I’ll help you in the future.” He explained.

She took another deep bow as a response. Controlling her surprise, she uttered, “It’s more than a pleasure to me.”

Right now Yong Hwa let out a laugh, “Stop that. I’m not used to you getting so much polite than usual. Just, scream at me like you always do.”

Her eyes got wide, “I’m sorry.”

Yong Hwa formed a warm smile.

She swore some butterflies were already flying inside her belly, churning it in every way.

“Then—“ She managed to get ready, hiding sudden nervousness that attacked her, “I’ll go first.” She began to turn her heels.

“Your part time hour tonight will be done at eleven, right?”

She paused and nodded.

“Don’t go anywhere. I’ll be there.”

She felt an electric jolted her nerves.

And by doing her last thankful bow, she continued her steps away. The race inside her chest went crazy. Her lips arced under her consciousness. Strangely but truly, she wanted night to approach faster.

*&^%$#@

 

Visiting her father was his routine in every evening, after he had done with karate classes. He didn’t know how long he could wait for his father’s better condition, he just tried and tried. If the doctor informed how effective it was, his presence to stay by Mr. Jung’s side, he would rather be there as long as he could.

Yong Hwa suddenly remembered how Seo Hyun treated her father.

By music.

So he waverly brought out a music player from his pocket, scanned the screen slowly and stopped at an unknown song title. A song she had suggested long time ago, a song he would never forget in his life. Their song.

His hands were shaking. By doing this, indirectly he finally let go everything. His hatred upon music, every poison stained the grudge of hating melody.. all. He chose this way. To reborn and start everything by firstly, let his heart to guide him.

By the earphone finally puffed inside his one ear and so his father’s, he closed his eyes after putting his head on the bed, next to Mr. Jung’s hand.

The melody aired giving a warm wave inside his body. Enjoying the longing feeling after seven years he restrained his urge to touch any melody again, he peacefully smiled, before breaking into a deep sleep.

He never knew that the collapsed fingers next to his shut-eyes were moving.

*&^%$#@

 

It was Yunho while the light adjusted his eyes. He managed to stay upright after blinking for several seconds, regaining his consciousness back.

The older man greeted him, “Hi.”

He looked at his brother and managed a soft smile. “Hyung.”

Yunho replied him with a curve on his lips. He then dragged a small chair next to the young man, and let his body sit down. They’re now being side by side, facing their father laying down.

“You looked tired.” Yunho commented.

“I’m just finishing my class.” He answered, “How are you, Hyung?”

“Like you see. I’m fine.”

Yong Hwa nodded understandingly. Yunho was someone who could control everything. Whatever the responsibility under his hands, they would definitely go well. “I know. You’re doing great with this house, and so the company.”

Yunho let out a light laugh, “That’s because you leave me. That’s why I must stay strong, and manage everything by my own.” He then added, “Rascal.”

Yong Hwa couldn’t help but joined his laughter. The way Yunho calling him, the younger man was so craved for it.

“I’m proud of you, Hyung.”

Yunho , “Yah! That’s what you want to say? ‘I’m proud of you, Hyung’? Well, to tell you the truth, you must. Because I chase you for these seven years with all my might but you were always able to escape again. You must be proud of me to be this persistent.”

Yong Hwa’s laughter erupted. This conversation.. he missed it a lot. Then his low voice aired after controlling his guffaw, “Mianhe, Hyung.” Yong Hwa looked so sincerely regretful, “Sorry for giving you so much trouble. I won’t escape anymore.”

Yunho landed his glance forwards hearing his brother’s response. Silence surrounded for some seconds, bringing them back to every memories they kept all this time.

How they spent years together as brothers.

How they shared ice cream while there was just one left, how Yunho protected Yong Hwa while the younger being a fun at school, how faithful Yunho to always fetch him after school  was over so they could go home together. How happy Yong Hwa while he could share his joy and passion of music with Yunho, whom never get tired to listen to him. How proud of him, while Yunho graduated from school with best mark, gaining the best scholarship and so on.  

Even though the blood flows inside them was different. Even though Yunho could see the eyes of  their father so much laying upon his dongsaeng, and never once at him.. He remembered clearly how much he was so sad over that matter, but his love for Yong Hwa as brother never once break them. Because their heart said it, that they were indeed brothers.

And for Yong Hwa, he never let go of one event that made him to always respect his brother for all people in this world.

That was a soft evening, they walked together after gaining an ice cream for each from the store nearby. Yong Hwa was eight at that time, while Yunho was four years older. The maid that was supposed to take care of them was left behind, still asking for the money she should pay for the two ice creams. And that was when Yong Hwa saw a street musician playing guitar at the other side of the sidewalk, across them.

Innocent Yong Hwa got captivated by the moment, “Hyung. I want to go there!” then he run across the road.

“Yong Hwa-yah! Wait!” Yunho chased his dongsaeng.

 And that was time while a big truck horned them brutally, coming closer in a fast speed…

Yong Hwa was jerked. His breath came shorter.

“Yong Hwa-yah?”

He turned around and saw a warm face of Yunho. He blinked. “I’m just..” He wavered to tell his brother another nightmare he ever faced, a past memory that resurfaced just now, “Mianhe, Hyung.”

“What happened?” Yunho’s face was full of worry.

He shook his head, trying to control everything. Yunho’s presence indeed reassured him: his brother was in a good condition, and still well, still kind, and still adorable, lack of nothing. “Hyung, thank you for everything you’ve done for me.” He blurted.

Yunho was confused but smiled, “Aigoo. I’m your brother, don’t say such a thing.”

“I’m so useless. Mianhe.”

Yunho wagged his tounge, “Being the one who blamed himself for seven years and endured such a huge burden, willing to leave your passion.. and still rigid to stay here again, you can’t be useless, Yong Hwa-yah.” He rubbed Yong Hwa’s shoulder, “You went stronger. That’s me that should be proud of you.”

Yong Hwa felt warmth raining towards him.

“Don’t runaway again. Stay here. And be with me. We will be here together when Abeoji opened up his eyes again.” Then he turned to look at his father’s face, “You know that Abeoji loves you so much, Yong Hwa-yah. Your pain after all this time was his pain, and mine, too, as your brother. He doesn’t want you to be suffered anymore.”

Yong Hwa’s words were snatched away. He was about to shed tears, and he hated it very much when he was this vulnerable in front of Yunho.

“Tell me you’ll stay here.”

“I’ll stay here.” Yong Hwa assured.

Yunho smiled, “I’m so happy to see you. It’s too late but I never have the chance to greet you properly.” Then he glanced at him, “Welcome back.”

Yong Hwa formed a wide smile. He poked his brother friendly. “Don’t be that mellow.”

Both of them then exploded a laugh. Quality time for brothers was a quality time.  

Then Yunho caught a music player beside his father’s side. He reached it suspiciously and examined the song. “Is this yours?” He glanced at his younger brother.

Yong Hwa nodded, smiling meaningfully.

Yunho’s eyes went wide, “You decided to finally deal with this?” Yunho raised the iPod. This meant music, both knew.

“I’m sure about that.”

The older man let out another long jest. “Daebak! Awesome! Here we go, our musician, Jung Yong Hwa!”

Yong Hwa grinned, “That’s not it. I still have a lot work to fix myself.”

Then Yunho’s long laughter stopped. Clearing his throat, he absolutely remembered something. Something he never skipped it out. Waverly he asked, his young brother “Is this.. because of her?”

Yong Hwa was silent. “Ne. It’s her.”

Yunho’s cheerful tone then strangely went away.

Of course. What else? It’s Seo Joo Hyun. Hearing his brother’s answer he felt it once again, a wave of jealousy.

“Thank you for sending her for me, Hyung. She was so stubborn, loud, persistent, but she was a great help. I don’t know how to thank her.” Yong Hwa backed to look at his brother, “And so thank to you. Once again, thank you so much.”

Yunho just managed a tiny smile, “Great to hear that. Then, what’s your plan?”

“I don’t know,” Yong Hwa shrugged, “My priority is still Abeoji’s health, and I still want to be karate teacher so yeah, maybe I just want to practice guitar again.”

“I know. That’s a big progress of you.”

“You like it?”

“Yeah, of course. Congratulation.”

Yong Hwa felt another light poke against his back. Having Yunho was his life’s fortune, he swore.

Then suddenly something big hit him, he looked outside and found the dark sky. He then searched for a time and discovered that this was already midnight. It was twelve o’clock.

Seo Joo Hyun!

He stood upright in one second. “I should go right now.”

“Going back to your apartment?” Yunho asked.

He shook his head hurriedly, “No.” And didn’t manage to explain further. Then he run, going outside. “See you, Hyung.” His shadow vanished along with his presence.

Yunho exhaled. He was not sure but he could definitely guess it, where Yong Hwa went in this moment.

He then grabbed the iPod Yong Hwa left, and discovered the song title. Unknown – JYH and SJH.

He got thrilled in sudden. Heavily, he pressed the play button and let the melody waved his ears. Then he plugged the one side earphone to his father’s, like Yong Hwa did before.

His mind cruised away. If Seo Hyun agreed to be fetched by his dongsaeng every day, he couldn’t do anything except helping her in another way.