Chapter 1

A Pencil On The Melody

 

August, 2004.

Her starry eyes blinked enthuciastically like a sprinkle night stars decorating a full shiny face. Holding stack of songs and music shore sheets, quickening her steps, she inhaled then exhaled the rapid breathing that came difficult to be slowened. 

I got it, I must play it. 

 She reached music practice room during break time, entering in hurry.
 

As for an obedient student who religiously spent the time to its-supposed-to-be, Seo Hyun always used her break school hours for exactly taking lunch calmly, at canteen, or at her desk. But, not for now. Not for the rush melody circling and bumping inside her head right now, impatiently craving to be voiced. 

My first composition, my own song creation.

She then gently set her body down on a small seat in front of the center grand piano. Excitedly placing the sheets forwards, she took a deep breath to begin pressing her very first note.

That was before her stealing eyes fell onto a figure at the corner of the room. 

Frowning, she got off and came over.

On the desk, head buried into hands exactly on the table position, she just could examine this guy’s short hair. An unknown guy, napping in tranquility. Peacefully calm, like nothing would interfere him.

Seo Hyun seeked his face, but it was also hiddened by his circle entire hands.

“Anneyong?” She greeted for no response. Clearing , he tried second attempt by raising up her tone, “Anneyong haseyo.”

Silent.

She snorted. Should I bomb this guy?

A bit annoyed yet uneasy because she would probably make a noise for his dreaming world, and feeling unfree to play, she backed off. Her mischievous eagerness drove her mind to take-it-easy action: ignoring. 

Just piano sound, not loud enough to wake this guy up. Well, boy, who did allow you to take a nap here? 

So she pressed the tuts, mingled with her piano, being its soulmate when swimming into melody pool. She paused then, correcting one to two notes when found it false, she righted the anharmony melody to the harmony ones, here and there. Then she attempted again, voicing to check the sounds. 

For more than good thirty minutes. She then gradually got a little depressed, a bit tired when her notes didn’t come to what she expected early. Sounded bland, yet disorganized, unmelodious.

She suddenly jerked when seeing a swaying hand taking up her on-playing-score blatantly, hold the content in serious gaze. She looked up to see the owner, and found a guy who came from.. She blinked. Mind blanked. Cursing her first impression. 

This guy’s nose went forward engraving a manly shape that could stand the time to halt for savoring him, sharp chin covering his incredible tight jaw, stern eyes stabbing smoothly, a captivatable, irresistable guy. For his look. And a half-messy hair framed his powerful face.. wait, is he a napping guy?

“Pencil.” He handed off his another hand, give her a sign. 

Seo Hyun was too confused for blurting any words. 

“Give me a pencil.” He repeated.

Then she followed dutifully, awkwardly.

The next minute, her widened eyes were going to completely pop out while examining him scoring out her own music composing sheets by her own pencil. Unheartily, rudely. He put notes on the new bars, fast and familiar hand movement running all over the score. Making one black circle below a stick, some with flag on the top, then written down rhytm sign, key sign.. His hands are running lightly.

She gaped, but strangely couldn’t do anything except watching, and examining him, craving to shout ‘what the hell are you doing to my work? Stop it, stranger, moron!’, but stupidly she just found herself throwing amazing gaze combined with a circle mouth. 

This guy looked as a real 10-years-experienced-senior-composer-master, as the way he wrote the notes.

Her attention went to the whole him.

He had unusual, funny way when thinking: biting the pencil tip. That dull-unused tip one. Unconsciously, maybe to gain inspiration for somewhere. For the whatever the reasons she could think that biting pencil was exactly a dirty habit since bacteria might come to attack your mouth, she liked it. His style while biting pencil on lateral view. A lot.

Three minutes passed unbelieavably faster.

“Try.” 

He gave the finished-and-full-of-corrections-notes score back to her, gaining her gawkiness. 

She gulped while receiving, nervously played the notes right after.

As the melody run, her awkward walking fingers changing tuts into an enchantment from left to the right, swaying the jump notes. Like magic, her brain gradually appeared a sudden amazement, then her heart screamed, cried in astonishment. The feeling grew up smoothly, the melody talked, and truly voiced to her, not just sounding. 

It told. It’s life.

She shouted inwardly.


Beautiful!

She couldn’t find any descriptions to praise him anymore.
 
“You..” She turned her head, and found no one. Sweeping the room and discovering a void, she rushed to run out of, catching his back while he was walking away through the corridor. “Gomawo!” She yelled. 

Gomawo? She cried desperately inward since she wanted to say others but this ‘gomawo’ word slipped firstly. Pabo you, Seo Joo Hyun! You’re supposed to ask his name, or discussing some songs, or..

The boy raised one hand, like saying “it’s okay”. 
 
Seo Hyun curved a smile, still being mesmerized by him, his melody creation. His talent. 
 
Why such a genius composer can live in this school but no one recognizes him? Talented musical boy. Or is it just her not knowing this guy?

Though her very first song creation was being interfered, not purely composed by her, Seo Hyun felt extremely happy. Undecided title, unfinished lyrics, she didn’t care. She would fix them later.
 
Then she wrote it, on the right top of her score page: composer: Seo Joo Hyun and unknown talented-handsome guy.
 
She grinned. Maybe later she could make another song by her own, purely. 

No one knew that as the sun and night snatched away to take over the days to change the dates and roll the weeks, her high school story with him still paced forwards. 
 
So that guy was her one year headed senior, and she was a total shy girl who pretended not to have interest at him at all. She stayed calm, acting never knew him for the days they encountered in music practice room. Fully ignoring him. So did him, cool guy who ignored everything, saying just important words.
 
But still, her eyes always stayed honest, so they run to steal a glance at him.
 
Seo Hyun and he were connected only during school break time while spending minutes there to practice. Nothing else. No chatter. No greetings. No intrudoction. Not knowing each other’s name. 
 
Just silent and music in the fulfilled air correlated their threads. 
 
He was in a midst with his guitar, playing and composing a song. Just her and him in the music room, like usual. He was drowning, Seo Hyun wisely savored this moment, enjoying him sinking into his own world. He and his guitar. Then this ended up by her trying to have a bustle with his piano, struggling but failed not to take a peek at him, heart beating faster.
 
This guy had so many similarity with her, Seo Hyun thought. Not really mingling in society, having friends but didn’t like crowded and party, choosing music practice room and burying self to the soul of music, not much talking and choosing to stay silent then observing. They shared same tendency. 
 
That guy borrowed her pencil one day. 
 
“May I borrow your pencil?” His polite voice aired.
 
She blinked, overreactingly taking out her pencil, “Sure. Take it.” And tried harder to control her heart beating.
 
But he didn't emerge days after, still carrying her pencil with him. 
 
Just herself only in music practice room. 
 
Seo Hyun began to panic, and curious, but nothing couldn’t be done. She didn’t know him. She tried to ask randomly to the seniors, since no one knew Seo Joo Hyun, a bookworm yet a loner girl, it would be easy for her being unrecognized girl, or bitterly, a weird-nerd girl who talkatively suddenly wanted to know something. But she trailed off. He will come tomorrow, someday.
 
God had another plan. She herself turned to be lost, absent for school when her mother passed away. The world conversed for her, darkening and scary for a 17 years old Seo Joo Hyun. She needed time to rebuild her strength for around three days. No instant pertinacity came, not for her missing heart, since her mother was the only one she had. No father, no siblings. She was on the way to be cured by herself.
 
She came back while graduation was passed through. Days changed. 
 
He had gone. 
 
Seo Hyun attempted to find him, but he didn’t make any emergence. A clumsy, taciturn, yet a bit stolid Seo Joo Hyun even tried once to ask his batch friends. But ended up getting nothing since the senior she asked throwing an ignorance to her description, and on the contrary, staring at her enigmatically. 
 
He was lost. He even didn’t appear during school farewell party, the last chance for her to see him around this school. 
 
Seo Hyun cried. She wanted to be his friend at least, the one she could talk to. She wanted to say ‘my name is Seo Joo Hyun, please get along well’ then ‘I miss my Mom, can you accompany me a little by playing your guitar?’. Many sentences could be spoken, pounding to be told to him.
 
But he still was lost. Just some bars melody on her first songs, the only thing he left for her. He still became the 'unknown-handsome guy' on top of its score page.
 
Until coincidence arranged the two to bump in the middle, called faith.