Chapter 9

Redemption

“We must do it now! My time is coming and I can’t bear it any longer! Are you even with me?” A man asked in a furious tone while sending a glare to the lady.

“After all this time, and you still doubt my loyalty? Are you out of your mind?” The lady glared back at him.

“Oh no, no. You can’t talk to me like that!” He grabbed her by her sleeve.

“Stop! You are hurting me!” The lady tried to free herself from the dying man.

“I’m sorry, I was out of control before, honey.” He said and caressed her cheek right after he realized what he had just done.

“It’s okay. The last preparation was set already. It’s only time. We can do it soon. I am also ready.” She said and the man smiled in happiness. The lady went to her room and locked herself in her own large private bathroom. She just needed one last preparation and it would decide whether her plan would succeed or not. She punched the call button on her phone and waited for the answer.

“Hello?”

“Hey, what’s up? Jiyoung answered the call excitedly. He hadn’t talked to her for a month.

“I need your help.” She said.

“What?” He asked her and then she told him the whole things.

“I can’t let that happens! No, if I have just known it beforehand. I can prevent it from happening, you know I can do that!” He almost scream throughout the phone.

“You don’t and you won’t understand it! This has to happen, this is all for the best!” She said. She heard a sigh from the other line. “Jiyoung, you’re the only one I can count on right now. It has to happen, just believe me, it has to.”

“I am really not fond of that. I really am not.” He said.

“I know, but it still has to happen anyway. There is no other way. For everyone’s sake.” She was still trying to convince him. She didn’t hear any respond from the other line, so she continued, “He will be dead anyway, it’s just a matter of time.”

“But why do you have to do it?” Jiyoung still couldn’t understand. It was like a really complicated puzzles for him and he couldn’t pick them up together in a piece.

“Because he owed my family. If it is not my father that kills him, then I’ll have to. I have sworn, Jiyoung. This hatred that my family has for him will go on and will never be broken unless we do it now, before my dad’s time comes. It’s his redemption, at least supposed to be his. You choose yourself, you are a wise man, Jiyoung. I’ll let you choose.”

“Why do I have to help you?”

“Because you know you have to.” With that, she hung up the call. She knew that Jiyoung would help her. The plan needed to succeed. The last preparation was done. She was now just waiting for the show time.


It had been roughly 5 months since Seunghyun quitted his job out of the blue. It was of course causing a lot of conspiracy inside the agency and of course, it was a hard thing for the council to let him go because Seunghyun was one of the best in that agency. However, Seunghyun’s decision to leave the agency was really irrevocable. With his camouflage ability, he made himself a new identity to live. He was a banker in a prominent bank in Korea, Hana Bank for a living. He now had time to pick up Aerin from her work and sent her home. Sometimes, if neither of them was in rush, they would have a dinner together. They could go for a date every weekend and relaxed. It was really a happy life that Seunghyun could ever dream of and it was happening. Unfortunately, the best thing did have a period and little did he realize, it was coming to an end.

Choi Seunghyun was woken up by a phone call with no caller ID. He furrowed his brows as he checked the clock beside him: 2 o’clock.

“What the ?” He cursed under his breath as he grumpily answered the call.

“Yes?” He lazily asked, typical of him. But the scream escaped from a familiar girl made his eyes shot opened.

“Aerin!” He screamed throughout the line but all he could hear now was a heavy breath of a man. “Come alone to a place where my son was arrested and save your girlfriend.” With that, the man hung up the call. He was still so surprised and perplexed that he fell on his knees. A moment later, a message was received and when he opened it, it was a picture of his girlfriend being tied with a bomb and the bomb was ticking! Then, another message was sent.

From : Unknown number

As you can see, you do not have much time. So come whenever you are ready.

 

“!” Seunghyun cursed as he angrily replied.

 

From : Choi Seunghyun

What warehouse, give me the address and I’m going now.

 

The reply came not long after that.

 

From : Unknown number

Find it yourself. You’ve got only 48 hours to find the place and get here or say goodbye to your girl.

 

Seunghyun could not take it anymore. He tossed his phone to his bed and he hurriedly opened his laptop. It was made exclusively for him with his fingerprint and retina scan required for logging in.

He was aware that he had a lot of enemies and it was impossible for him to memorize each of them. He had been a secret agent for 8 years and decided to quit so he could live a happy life with his girlfriend. However, never once did he predict that this would happen. He had burnt all traces that led to his past, every single thing of them. So, it was definitely impossible for whoever had his girlfriend now to know about him from the internet because he had made sure that all files connected to him had been deleted before he left. Suddenly, he remembered his ex-partner. He didn’t waste a second as he immediately grabbed his phone and dialed his friend’s number.

“Waeyo?” A sleepy voice was heard across the line.

“I’m going to your place now.” Seunghyun said and hung up the call. He quickly changed his clothes and ran to his friend’s house located just next door!

He knocked the door impatiently and his friend opened the door with an annoyed expression. Who would not be annoyed anyway?

“Can’t you please be patient?” Jiyoung scolded him.

“No. Aerin is being kidnapped.” He directly told him. Jiyoung didn’t know that it would come this fast.

“She what?” He asked, pretending to be shocked.

“I have only 47 hours and 30 minutes to know where she is and save her, now, would you help me?” He explained shortly and Jiyoung nodded almost instantly.

“Anything you need.” He said.

Seunghyun took out his phone and opened his laptop on the table. “Do you recognize whose voice is this?” He asked Jiyoung as he played the recorded voice of the man and Jiyoung shook his head although he knew whose voice that was. Seunghyun wasn’t surprised by his answer since there were a lot of people that had that kind of voice –Deep, hoarse, calm, yet scary. He didn’t recognize whose voice was that too anyway.

“Do you recognize the tattoo?” He asked again as he showed a picture of his girlfriend being tied with a muscular man’s hand pulling her hair.

Jiyoung pretended to examine it for a while before he spoke, “I believe I’ve seen it somewhere!” He wanted to shout so badly that he had known everything, all that was going on. However, he knew that he wasn’t supposed to do that. He knew he wasn’t in a place where he would be the one who decided things.

“Where? Can you please give me more information?” He asked again with hope.

“Nope, but I believe we will find it if we open the files.” Jiyoung said and Seunghyun shook his head in disagreement.

“It will take too much time. I am already breaking in the system and searching for the tattoo.” He said as he showed his laptop to his friend.

“Oh you’re kidding me! Do you know the punishment for doing that? You can be exiled, probably being prisoned for your whole life.” Jiyoung exclaimed. All this year, he knew Seunghyun that always obeyed rules and cherished laws. But, guess what? Urgent situations require desperate measures.

“So what? I don’t care, okay? Now, will you give me a little favor?”

Jiyoung sighed for he knew that Seunghyun wasn’t going to obey him. He knew how much the girl meant for his friend and he was also aware that this was the first time Seunghyun had ever asked him such favor.

“Now, what do you want me to do?” He asked the ex-agent and the latter smirked in satisfaction.


“I need to meet Mark Tuan.” Jiyoung said to the police’s chief.

“I’m sorry sir, but with no authorization from prime minister, you are not allowed to do that.” The chief said as he blocked Jiyoung’s way.

“Oh, don’t worry, I have his permission.” He said as he showed the chief the authorization letter made by the minister.

“Well then, I have nothing against you.” The chief said. “Bring Mark Tuan.” He commanded the guards there and they nodded. In 5 minutes, Mark Tuan was dragged by the 2 guards and Jiyoung signaled the others to leave, for he wanted a moment alone with the troublemaker.

“Well well well, what is the guy who caught me doing here? Oh, maybe I should change the question. What is so important that you want to meet a like me?” Mark Tuan said with a mocking manner, for he knew that the guy sitting across him needed some information from him.

Jiyoung glanced at the person across him and felt a sudden urge to punch him, but he knew that was prohibited. The guy looked like he was beaten badly though. He noticed a fresh cut on his face, a bruise on his right eye, and he bet that he had bruises probably in all parts of his body. Jiyoung took a deep breath as he reminded himself his purpose. He would not want to be here at any cost if it were not for his best friend –Seunghyun. “Look okay, I’m not in the mood to bicker with like you.” Jiyoung tried to rearrange his breath as he was trying so hard to not slap the younger’s cheek or punch the nose. “I need some answers.”

“Well, I’m not in the mood to answer either.” Mark said, playing hard to get.

“The thing is, I’m the one who has the power right now. So, it would be wise if you answer all the s I need to know!” Jiyoung said calmly, though he did emphasize some words.

“Oh well, but I do have the right to not answer anything for I will not get any benefits from answering things.” Mark claimed as he grinned even wider.

“That’s right.” Jiyoung pretended to agree. He scrunched his nose before leaning closer to Mark as he whispered, “I see you are being beaten so badly here. Does that hurt?” He asked Mark as he out of the blue pressed his finger against Mark’s bruise. Mark instantly winced in pain.

Mark put on his annoyed and angry face as he spoke, “! That’s none of your business!”

“Correct, I come here actually to do business with you but I see you are not in the mood to.” Jiyoung prepared himself to stand up, but then Mark held him back by asking one simple question that Jiyoung wanted to hear, “What’s the deal?”

Jiyoung put on a victory smile as he spoke, “You have to tell me everything that I need. As a benefit, you can get out from here 3 years earlier than decided.”

“I want five years earlier.” Mark stated.

“How about two years and I will guarantee that you will not be beaten like this anymore?” Jiyoung started to seize the moment.

“How about four years?”

“That’s the best I can offer. If you refuse, then it will be your loss.” Jiyoung bluffed as he stood up from his seat. Just when he was about to walk away, Mark spoke, “Three questions only.”

“Deal.” Jiyoung said and sat back. “First, How many guards in the warehouse that your dad has?”

“I will not answer that. He is my daddy, if I answer, I will be cursed for betraying my father.” Mark refused to answer.

“I thought we had a deal.” Jiyoung said firmly, reminding Mark that he was the one who had the power.

“Yes, but you ask me to betray my father, I can’t do that.” He said.

“We will not arrest your father or kill him, I guarantee you that. This is personal. Your father kidnaps my friend’s girl and he just wants to have her back. This is not a federal mission. Look okay, I am not even supposed to blurt things out but I see you are being stubborn.” Jiyoung said in frustration.

“What if you do not keep your promise?” Mark asked him.

“That is not going to happen. I always keep my promise.” Jiyoung tried to convince Mark. After all, he had known that he would not break it anyways. Not because he always kept his promise, but because condition would not allow him to. Mark thought for some moments before he said, “Alright, but if you ever touch my father, you are going to regret it. I will not just remain silent for that. I’ll come after you when I get out from here, do we understand each other?

“Deal.” Jiyoung said the word once again.

“Now, first question. How many guards will be in the warehouse?”

“Around thirty before you arrested me. But predicting from my father’s mindset, he would not make things easier, and he would not underestimate you again. So probably, the number is now doubled.”

“How strict is the security?”

Very strict.”

“Describe it, be specific please.”

“The guards are probably having their AK47 with them. The windows are now must be bulletproof and I believe that the place is guarded 24 hours. There might be heat detection, and also electrical fence. I have not be in touch with my father lately, so I am not so sure. But I believe that the security is not going to be less strict than what I said.” Mark answered.

“Is it possible for two agents to break in?” Jiyoung asked and held his breath.

Mark smirked as he knew whom Jiyoung was referring to, “I’m guessing that the two agents would be you and your partner. I’m telling you, it is now will be impossible.”

“Thanks for your time.” Jiyoung said and left the place. Jiyoung had known what Mark would say. He had had the data anyway, but he still had to do it for formality. Because from now, he had to play as a good actor. He had to pretend that he was a very good liar, he even had to fool himself.


“Thanks Jiyoung, I’m going.” Seunghyun said as soon as Jiyoung finished telling him all he knew.

“What? Are you out of your mind? Didn’t you listen?” Jiyoung asked in disbelief. Jiyoung always believed that Seunghyun was a typical of person that was smart and rational. He was crazy but for a positive term. However, this was not one of the positive craziness! Seunghyun was definitely out of his mind.

“I’m not letting you go alone.” He said firmly.

“And I’m not letting you to come along with me. This is my fight. This is personal.” Seunghyun said as he prepared things he would need.

“Yes, I know. But it’s impossible for you to beat them. This is a suicide mission!” Jiyoung ruffled his hair in frustration, for he knew Seunghyun was not listening him.

“Look okay, I don’t care if I have to die! I’ve lost so much that I love! I can’t lose her! I’m done, okay? She is the only thing that keeps me alive until this second. What’s the difference between die now or die later, isn’t it the same? You did say that die while trying is better than die as a , right?” Seunghyun said in fury.

“True, but it’s not a reason for doing something beyond crazy!” Jiyoung said.

“I’m not coming here to fight with you, okay? Just imagine if it’s Ara, what will you do? I bet you will certainly do what I am doing right now!” Seunghyun said rather emotionally. Jiyoung remained silent. He knew what was going on and it was hard for him to keep pretending, but he had to. He had made his stand.

“At least, let me come with you.” Jiyoung said in a pleaded tone.  

“No, you are still useful for this country. If you’re gone, I can’t imagine who will be good enough to fight the crime.”

“There is always someone else who will take care for this country. I’m not asking your permission, Choi Seunghyun. I’m coming with you whether you like it or not.” He said as he also started to fill in some bullets to his gun. Seunghyun shook his head in disapproval, but he knew that his friend was not going to change his mind.

“Suit yourself.” That was the only thing he could say.

“Well, I have been waiting for this time to come once again.” Jiyoung replied with a smirk plastered on his face.

3o minutes later, they were ready. “Let’s rock and roll!” Then, they got to the car. Jiyoung could only pray along the way. He really didn’t agree with all of these. However, he really trusted the girl.