Chapter 5

Redemption

It has been almost 6 months since Seunghyun and Aerin became official. Seunghyun wasn’t lying when he said that he would not have so much time spent for both of them. His works were overloading and he could barely sleep. He never expected that being a head would cause him such stress and he never knew that his task was so much different from the last one. Jiyoung on the other hand, seemed to adapt faster than Seunghyun. Certainly, he was also like Seunghyun for the first 3 months, but now he had got used to it. They had requested their office to be just in one room, therefore they could coordinate easier.

Seunghyun looked at the clock that showed it was already 12.p.m. which meant it was lunch time. Seunghyun looked at his growling tummy but sighed when he saw the files that were still piling up his table. Seunghyun continuously massaged his temple as he was getting more stress when he began to read the fifth file that came to his table.

“Do you need help there?” Jiyoung asked as he was done with his papers and was about to grab lunch when he saw his partner’s grumpy face.

“I’m fine. You go first, I’ll catch up.” Seunghyun said but Jiyoung knew his friend to well for he knew that Seunghyun was not going to grab his lunch. Jiyoung took a seat across Seunghyun’s table and took the files from his friend’s hands. “What –?” Seunghyun was about to protest but Jiyoung had pulled him up from his seat.

“I heard your stomach was growling for food. I bet you would not even grab your lunch if I left you for real. Don’t be so hard on yourself. That files can wait.” Jiyoung interrupted his friend that was about to protest.

“But the reports will have to be submitted by the end of this year and there is only approximately a month for that. You’ve seen the files, haven’t you? It’s impossible to be finished by the deadline but what am I supposed to say to Mr. Park?” Seunghyun sighed. Mr. Park was now his direct boss whereas Jiyoung was responsible to Mrs. Kim. Jiyoung often visited Mr. Oh to ask for some suggestions and Seunghyun sometimes tagged along. However, he seemed to be having a hard time with his new job. In addition, he felt even worse because he hadn’t managed to have a date with Aerin for almost a month. Aerin had always been an understanding girlfriend and of course, the very supporting one. The only question for Seunghyun was how long she would tolerate this busy schedule of him. A relationship wasn’t only about taking, but also giving. In these 6 months, he was aware that he just took, and rarely gave. Aerin gave him support.  Aerin gave him company and cheered him whenever he needed her the most. Aerin gave her the comfort that he also needed. But, what had he given to her? He could barely give her his time. All the time, Aerin never complained but he knew that there would be someday when she wouldn’t stand it anymore. She deserved more, that Seunghyun completely understood.

“You are thinking about her, aren’t you?” Jiyoung nudged Seunghyun and brought him back to reality.

“Is it that obvious?” Seunghyun asked as he let out a frustrate laugh.

“Yes. Why don’t you take time to relax a bit? This Saturday night for example, it is a really great time for dating. You can take her to a romantic dinner, or maybe going to an amusement park, simply spending time with her.” Jiyoung suggested.

“As much as I want to do that, I can’t. You know that the papers won’t let me to have a slight fun, right?” Seunghyun sighed heavily.

“I know. But, I think you know what will happen if you keep her as number 2 all the time. Nobody likes to come second, Seunghyun. It’s only a matter of time before she gives up. You are smart, Seunghyun, and I can say that you have seen it is going to come if you don’t change.” Jiyoung said.

“I am aware of that. But I just can’t do it. This agency, it’s probably the best thing that has ever come to me.” Seunghyun said as he took a bite of his burger.

Jiyoung shook his head as he fixed Seunghyun’s sentence, “It was Seunghyun. It is now Aerin. If you waste her, you may not be able to make it right. I ask you now, how many times have you left her in the middle of your dates just because you had a sudden meeting? How many times have you cancelled your meeting with her because something connected with your job suddenly came up? How many times have you showed up late in your dating with her just because you actually forgot or lost track in time?” Jiyoung tried to knock some senses on his friends’ head. He continued, “As much as I hate to say this to you, but I am really disappointed with you. You have neglected her, Seunghyun. Even though she never complains, that doesn’t mean she is fine. It means that she really loves you and she is willing to sacrifice her feeling for your needs.”

“Then you tell me, what am I supposed to do?” Seunghyun asked emotionally. He wasn’t mad at Jiyoung. He was furious and disappointed with himself. It’s funny how people forgive others easier for being wrong than being right. That was what happened to Seunghyun. He was kind of hate Jiyoung for being so right though he knew he was at fault.

“That’s your job to figure out. I am not in a position where I decide things for you. You are a man, Seunghyun. You must know what to do. It’s not too late to fix things up.” Jiyoung said again and Seunghyun fell silent. Seunghyun was thinking of something. He was born creative. Hence he was trying to arrange some good plots in his mind to surprise Aerin. Seunghyun suddenly smirked as he got a perfect plan on his head and he stared at Jiyoung meaningfully.

Jiyoung could feel Seunghyun’s stare on him and so he lifted up his chin and met his gaze, “What are you up to now? I think I have told you that your smirk doesn’t suit you, haven’t I?”

“You did. I just want to ask you something.” Seunghyun still smirked and Jiyoung’s stare was demanding him to just ask the question directly. “How’s your singing ability?”

Jiyoung furrowed his brows in confusion at the sudden strange question but then he gasped in shock as he knew what Seunghyun was up to.

“Don’t tell me you’re going to –“ Seunghyun had cut him as he spoke, “Yes, I’m doing it and I’ll need your help for that, help me, please?” Jiyoung sighed as he ate the last piece of his chicken and drank his coca cola entirely.

“You gotta be kidding me! I thought we’ve agreed not to do it anymore.” Jiyoung said in an unbelievable manner.

“I thought so too. But I really can’t think of other better options.” Seunghyun said and Jiyoung could just poke his forehead.

“Tell me the whole plan first.” Jiyoung demanded and with that, Seunghyun told him his great plan.


“Aerin, do you have time this Saturday?” Seunghyun asked through the line.

“Sure.” Aerin replied shortly but she sounded excited.

“Well then, let’s have a dinner together. I’ll pick you up at 6 and this time, I have reserved the place.” Seunghyun smiled although he knew that Aerin couldn’t see it.

“Do I have to wear a long dress?” Aerin asked and Seunghyun giggled, “No, but you can if you want to.”

“Only if you’re wearing a tux, I’ll wear that.” Aerin laughed melodiously and Seunghyun could not help but to turn stunned for a moment.

“Hello, are you still there, Seunghyun?” Aerin’s voice snapped him back to reality.

“Yes, yes. Sorry, I just miss your laugh so much and I got lost in it before. By the way, I’m not wearing a tux.” Seunghyun spoke quickly.

“Why don’t you?” There was a slight disappointment in her voice and Seunghyun noticed it.

“It’s because I’ll save my most handsome look for our wedding.” Seunghyun told her honestly and Aerin chuckled, “Such a teaser. Okay, take care of yourself! Don’t forget to eat and don’t stay up late again!”

“Yes mom!” Seunghyun replied with a laugh and Aerin laughed as well.

“You little kid!” She and he just laughed along, “Only to you.”

“I have to hang up now, my patient is coming.” Aerin said and Seunghyun bid her goodbye before she hung up the call. Jiyoung was looking at him the entire time and judging from her partner’s happy expression, he knew that everything went as planned.

“So, we’re going to do it for real?” Jiyoung asked and Seunghyun nodded as he said, “Don’t forget to call our old friends; Taeeyang, Daesung, and Seungri. There are a lot of preparations to do. We’ve got to brush up on first!”

Jiyoung sighed. To be honest, he thought that it was a really good idea, but he was afraid that he might screw up for he hadn’t really sung for years! He texted his old friends and set up a meeting the next day at their used to be hide out –The coffee shop near Seungri’s apartment.

For a night, Seunghyun was busy thinking not about the papers, but about Aerin and the whole surprise he prepared for her. He had a quite nice dream that night. The next morning, he woke up early and dashed to his workplace and tried to finish as many papers as he could because he knew that he would have a tight schedule after the work hours passed. Seunghyun was anxious that his old friends might refuse to help him but Jiyoung convinced him that they would help.

Jiyoung showed up not long after him and worked as usual. He noticed his partner’s excitement for that day and smiled secretly to himself. After some hard times, he could finally find himself relax a bit and that was what he just needed. Strangely, the day seemed to go faster than the usual as without realizing, it was finally 4.p.m. If usually, Jiyoung got to drag Seunghyun out from his room, this time, he voluntarily walked out from the room. Jiyoung had to fasten his pace in order to catch him up and both of them immediately dashed to the coffee shop.

Arriving there, they could see that all the old friends had been waiting at there. Jiyoung and Seunghyun immediately approached the table.

“Hey guys! Long time no see!” Jiyoung friendly greeted their old friends.

“Oh hey, you are here!” Seungri gave Jiyoung a bro-fist whereas the others were exchanging high fives.

“How’s life?” Taeyang asked his two friends that just arrived. Jiyoung instantly shrugged off as he said, “Nothing really special. You know how I live, man!”

“How about you, Seunghyun?” Daesung asked and Seunghyun took a deep breath before answering, “Good, I guess. Then, about 3 months ago, it was going better, but now, it’s going downhill once again.”

“I smell something fishy here. By the way, how can we help you? What’s the matter actually?” Seungri spoke.

“A girl.” Jiyoung and Seunghyun spoke in unison. The three nodded their heads several times in understanding as Daesung asked, “So, how may we help you?”

“Remember that we were band members a long time ago, in high school?” Jiyoung opened with such prologue.

“Yeah.” The old friends nodded.

“How about we perform for one last time?” Jiyoung smirked. Taeyang, Seungri, and Daesung were all stunned. However, slowly, smiles appeared on their faces. “You know what? I think it’s time to brush up on our skill.” Taeyang smirked.

“When will it be?”

“This Saturday.” Seunghyun answered.

“Let’s do this! Big Bang is going to perform one last time!” Seungri grinned widely.

“Oh, thank you guys!” Jiyoung and Seunghyun said and they did a group hug.


For the week, Seunghyun schedule had become even tighter than before. He would come to the office earlier and tried to finish everything he could and at 4.p.m. sharply, Jiyoung and he would together head to Daesung’s house and practiced there. Daesung was the only that had an audio room in his place; therefore, they could only practice at there. As they were all very talented since born, they didn’t need much time to brush up on their skills. The notes and the beats were all in their bones.

“It’s perfect guys!” Jiyoung smiled in satisfaction as they finished their practice on Friday.

“Tomorrow is the day! Let’s not screw it!”

The next day, Seunghyun picked Aerin up sharply at 6.p.m. He had decided to wear casual clothes for the date –A white shirt and black jeans. However, he was as usual, looked very handsome. Aerin on the other hand, looked beautiful and elegant as always in her black simple dress. They walked hand in hand to the rooftop that Seunghyun had booked for the night. This restaurant was an exclusive restaurant for couples and of course, it was designed to be very romantic. They were now sitting face to face under the starry night with candles surrounding them.

“What would you like to eat, Miss?” A waiter came to note their orders.

“I would like to have fettuccini Bolognese.” Aerin smiled.

“What about you, sir?” The waiter asked Seunghyun.

“I’d like to have the same with her, but I request 2 bottle of red wine for the beverage, please. I heard that it’s the best in here, isn’t it?” Seunghyun said and the waiter nodded, “Oh yes, sir. We have the best red wine in Seoul.”

“Anything else?” The waiter asked and both Aerin and Seunghyun shook their heads.

“Aerin.” Seunghyun called her and she turned to face him. She innocently blinked and asked him, “Yes?”

“Are you tired of me? I mean –“ Seunghyun was cut by Aerin’s lips that was pressed against him. Before he could even respond to the kiss, she had said, “I’m a fighter, Seunghyun. I won’t be tired and give up easily. Especially on things that I really treasure and you are one of those things, okay? So, don’t you dare to question me that.”

Seunghyun could only nod and thanked God that he was dating such an understanding and caring woman. They started to talk about their life since they had a lot to catch up and they were in the middle of laughing when the waiter brought them their orders.

“Thank you.” Aerin said politely as the waiter set two plates of spaghetti on their table. Just when they were about to eat, Seunghyun’s phone vibrated and he had to answer the call. Aerin nodded understandingly.

“Hello?” Seunghyun answered. Aerin could guess who called Seunghyun or what was they talking about. So, when Seunghyun hung up the call and he gave her an apologetic stare, she knew what he had to do. “Go. It’s work, isn’t it?” Aerin faked a smile.

“I’m sorry, but are you –“

“I’m okay. Don’t worry about me.” Aerin was still faking a smile. It was really hard for Seunghyun to witness such painful expression on her face but he had to leave.

“Take care, baby!” He gave Aerin a peck on her lips before leaving her alone, like he usually did on their dates. When Aerin was at the edge of tears, a young man went approaching her and sat at the seat that Seunghyun left.

Aerin noticed a presence of a stranger as she instantly lifted up her gaze, “Who are you?”

“I’m just a stranger that is passing by.” The man said.

“Why are you sitting here?” Aerin asked in confusion.

“You see, you are just being left by your date. I’m more or less same with you. But mine is worse. She didn’t even come.” He said. Aerin could feel the hurt that the man felt.

“Well, today is really beautiful, let’s not waste it, shall we?” The man cheered up a bit. Although she didn’t know who the stranger was, she could say that he was a nice guy.

“I’m Taeyang by the way, what’s your name?” He introduced himself.

“I’m Hwang Aerin.” She said as she shook his hand.

“You think that your date really left you, eh?” He asked and made Aerin confused.

“I thought you’ve seen that. Why would you even ask?” Aerin asked.

“I don’t know. Well, never mind. Do you know that I am a band member?” He asked her out of the blue and Aerin shook her head, “You don’t look like one.”

“Curious to hear me sing?” Taeyang smirked and Aerin almost laughed at his funny expression. “Not really, but I’d like to hear. When by the way?” She said as she held her laugh back.

“Now of course, since you say so. ” He smirked and left Aerin stunned as he went approaching the music set and suddenly, 2 men came out from nowhere while playing their guitars.

“Ladies and gentlemen, this song is made special for the girl that is sitting there, Hwang Aerin!” Taeyang spoke through the microphone that Aerin didn’t even know where he got it from. To her surprise, someone she knew came out from nowhere and started singing.

I'm in love nune kongkkaji sseuieosseo babe
Haui siljonge hoen waisyeocheu babe
Saramiya cheonsaya oh Jesus babe
Nunbusyeo babe sunglass babe
Jeongsini mangsiniya hollyeosseo nege
Piga hanjjogeuro tto ssullyeosseo nege
Wihomhae you're so dangerous babe
Sallyeojwo babe gyeongchal bulleo babe

‘What is Jiyoung doing here?’ Aerin thought to herself. Then Taeyang continued.

Baby baby jigeumcheoromman areumdawo jullae neon
Sigani jinado naege sollel su itge woah woah
Baby baby neon sideulji ma igijeogin nal wihae
Geu moseup geudaero neon geudaero yeoyaman hae

‘Wow he is good!’ Aerin thought as she started to feel happy and she even forgot her heartache before. However, her eyes shot opened as she recognize the next voice.

Yeah, saseumgachi yeepeun nun naui princess
Nareul bogo biutneun ge neomu chic hae
Michin geo anilkka jayeon miin teugihae teugihae
Naege wanbyeokhan geudaeyeo naui muse hae
Uri duri pyeonhae wanjeon saljjine
Neowa momi wanjeon chakchak gamgine
Yeongwonhi neon seumuldaseosiya naege
Byeonchi anha babe ogo pagi o babe

Aerin couldn’t hold her tears as they were running down her cheeks. She stood up and took Seunghyun’s hand before he led her to the small stage. She was so damn speechless but she was really happy. She thought that he was really leaving her.

The song was then continued being sung by the other member –Daesung.

Baby baby jigeumcheoreomman areumdawo jullae neon
Sigani jinado naega seollel su itge woah woah
Baby baby neon sideulji ma igijeogin nal wihae
Geu moseup geudaero neon geudaero yeoyaman hae

At that time, Seunghyun and Aerin could only stare at each other. Seunghyun was satisfied and Aerin was at the sky. She really couldn’t believe that Seunghyun prepared all these things for her even though she knew that he was very busy and barely had time for himself.

Nan yeppeun kkocheul deun namja
Modeun iga saranghal neoran kkocheul deun namja
Geudae hyanggie chwihae nan tto mongronghaejigo
Kkeokkiji marajuo jebal neomaneul

The last band member continued singing the song and the other girls started to get jealous over Aerin.

Chapssaltteok chapssaltteok

Gunghabi yeah uri uri gunghabi yeah

Chapssaltteok chapssaltteok

Gunghabi yeah uri uri gunghabi yeah

The song was sung so beautifully that by the time it reached its end, she was soaking with tears.

“So, do you like it, baby?” Seunghyun asked in worried.

“You -!” She was really so surprised that she didn’t manage to utter a single word.

“If you don’t like it just –“

“I don’t like it, I love it!” She said emotionally and hopped to his embrace. Seunghyun smiled in satisfaction as he gave thumbs up to his friends and their friends knew that it would be the two love birds moment as they instantly excused themselves to go out.

“I love you.” She said quite loudly. She could careless that they were now being the people’s attention but hey, the moment was probably going to happen only once!

“I love you more.” Seunghyun said as he landed a kiss to her lips. Aerin kissed him back and that definitely earned applauses from all the couples there.