Chapter 10

Redemption

“We are here!” Jiyoung said happily, but sure, it was just a pretend. He was not just a bit anxious on what would come next, but he was quite thrilled.

“Thanks bro!” Seunghyun smiled a bit, but then, in one swift movement, he injected Jiyoung with something. “What have you done?” Jiyoung asked as he slightly felt dizzy out of the blue. His vision was slowly getting blurry and he couldn't process everything. His head felt so heavy at that time.

“I’m sorry, I can’t let you die for me. This is my fight.” Seunghyun said before everything went black for Jiyoung.

Seunghyun brought his backpack that was undoubtedly full of weapons and with a determined heart, he approached the warehouse. He still had 36 hours left. Using binoculars, he monitored from afar. He saw at 10 guards at the main entrance, 3 or 4 muscular men walking back and forth, all were armed. He switched to X-ray glasses and could see where his girlfriend was. He winced at the sight of his girlfriend’s condition. She indeed looked being beaten badly.

“You are going to pay for messing up.” He hissed as he searched for a better place to shoot. He aimed to the bald men that was sitting on the bench. With no hesitation, he pulled the trigger. He could see that panic started to strike all the guards as they were looking here and there to find the shooters and then more and more gunfire was heard. Seunghyun smirked as he succeeded taking all 10 men down. He knew that what had waited from him inside would be more hazardous, but his perseverance to save his girlfriend made him not anxious at all. If he ever felt anxious, the anxiety would not be for his life, but for Aerin's instead. He did fear the man would shoot his girlfriend even though he came to save her. It happened a lot in the movies, and of course, in the real world.

He could see some men from upstairs were hurriedly going downstairs. He took a circular road as he was now at the right side of the warehouse. He took out the steel rope and climbed the warehouse. He was planning to get inside through the chimney. He was sure that there was no fire down there because it was not winter and his prediction was right. He quickly got himself through the chimney, still with the rope and he carefully landed himself on the ground. He checked the surroundings before he tiptoed to the stair. Being an agent for 8 years was more than enough to sharpen his senses. He didn’t even look back to shoot one guy that was about to shoot him, but because of that, footsteps echoed and he knew that there were a lot of them, so he hid himself behind the wall.

Then, he heard the voice that he hated so much, “Well, well, well. You are here, eh?” As much as Seunghyun wanted to talk back, he was in the middle of the war. Seunghyun was aware that his ammunition was running out soon. He took out his sword. He hadn’t practiced with it for a while, but he was sure that he still remembered all the tricks that his master had thought him when he was little. He got out from his hideout and ward the bullets that were coming to him as he made his way to the nearest men and cut his neck. Using the dead man body as protection, he moved to other men and the fight became fiercer. The gunfire that echoed through the warehouse was deafening, some smoke bombs were thrown here and there to cover the vision of the enemy. Seunghyun coughed as the thick smoke started to burn his lung, but he reminded himself of his mission. This was not like other fight, this was different from his usual mission as his mission that day involved his beloved girlfriend and her life was at the stake.

He moved to the stairs as he thought he had killed all the men, but to his surprise, a bullet was on his arm. He shot the guy directly and tiptoed upstairs. Before he even showed himself, gunfire was already heard. He took a deep breath before he fired his gun. A bullet hit his chest, or that was he thought. He sighed in relief as he realized it only hit his bulletproof vest. He took down all the men except one men that held his girlfriend because he knew if he shot him, his girlfriend was going to be hung. He approached the old man but he stopped halfway as he saw the old man pointing a gun to his girl’s head.

“Drop your gun.” The old man greeted his teeth. Seunghyun was shocked that he didn’t move or do anything.

“I said, drop your gun!” The man shouted. In instant, Seunghyun dropped his gun.

“Turn around!” He ordered again and Seunghyun had no choice but to obey the old man’s speech because apparently, he didn’t want a bullet on his girl’s head and unfortunately he was not the one at power.

“Hang on, baby. I promise, you’ll be safe.” He uttered to his girlfriend that looked almost lifelessly.

“Well, I must admit your combat ability is no my man’s match. But –“

“Cut the ! Let go of her! All you want is me and I’m here.” Seunghyun said angrily.

He heard the gun was loaded but that didn’t wince him even a bit.

“Well, maybe. You know you’re such a waste! I’ve heard a lot of stories about great men that fell down just because a woman and I see you are not an exception.” The old man said.

"What the ? There is no connection between that and our situation right now. Let go of her or I'll make you regret forever for laying your dirty hands on her skin!" Seunghyun said with a furious tone.

"As long as I remember, I am the man who has the power right now. You are in no position to make a call, so shut the up if you do not want a ing bullet in your girlfriend's head!" The man raised his voice for about an octave. As the mention of his girlfriend, Seunghyun immediately shut up his mouth although he wanted to talk back so badly.

"So, should I let your girlfriend go? But if I do, you might kill me because apparently, she is safe already. That doesn't sound so good for my side, does it?" The man leaned on him from the back and whispred to his ear.

"But she has nothing to do with this! It's about you and I!" Seunghyun spoke.

"Maybe..." The man hummed. Seunghyun didn't know what was going on because there was no sound coming anymore. However, he didn't dare to say anything as the man clearly prohibited him to do so. But then, he heard a loud voice coming from his back and then sound of looseing rope. Seunghyun was wondering but he knew better not to look what was behind his back.

“Come here honey." Suddenly, the man's voice was heard.

Daddy.” That voice Seunghyun like he was being hit by a thunder.

He could feel a gun pointed to his head. Then, the old man and his girlfriend came to his view.

“Hello, Seunghyun.” His girl greeted him. He was very shocked. He could barely process everything. His girlfriend betrayed him? He couldn’t believe it. He gave his life for her, he came to save her, but she was also behind all the .

“You know, my little girl is a good actress."

“We had arranged this a long time ago. You know, since you and your goddamn partner ing caught my son and ruined his business! Aerin was at the State at that time,studying that ing useless psychology, and when she came back, I had a plan plotted greatly in my mind. Your meeting with her was also arranged by the way. I taught her how to sweetly behave around you despite the hatred she felt towards you. Like I’ve said, she is a good actress, and well of course the result isn’t disappointing at all. I was also the one who asked her to ask you quit the agency because I knew, it would be so hard to destroy you if you were still an agent. But well, what could I say? You are not as smart as you think you are, eh? And the great man once again falls down because of a woman, what a pity!” The old man laughed heartlessly.

Seunghyun couldn’t believe what he heard but what he saw was more than enough to be the proof.

“Betrayal doesn’t come from a friend, right?” The old man laughed again. Seunghyun was speechless and definitely torn into pieces. His stare met his girlfriend and he didn’t know what she was thinking. Her eyes didn’t show him any hatred, but he couldn’t possibly trust her again. Like the old man had said earlier, she was a good actress, and he was the fool audience. Or maybe,she was just playing her role too well.

It was all made sense to him now. The missing pieces of the puzzle were finally gathered and formed a clear puzzle for him. The first time he saw her, he found it odd. He swore he heard her saying that she came to the bar a lot of times, but when they were talking, she said that she just came back from United States. Second, he never got a chance to meet her parents and she always rejected if he wanted to come inside her house. Her reasons were vary from her parents were not home, her parents were asleep already, it was night and he should go home, and et cetera. Seunghyun now assumed that it might not even be her house. Third, she smiled oddly when he said that she was honest. Finally, forth, the clearest thing he should ahve noticed, how could the man find his girlfriend? Or even himself? His files had all been burnt and his records had also vanished already. His online data has all been deleted. He was not in the radar, so how could the man even find him? Of course, he must have someone so near to him to get the information, like the most personal, his number for example.

The old man took the gun and handed it to his girlfriend. His bulletproof vest was being removed by the man that was holding his girlfriend before. He didn’t do anything, he couldn’t. He cursed himself for being so stupid all this time. But what was he to be blamed? He was head over heels to her! Maybe the phrase of 'love is blind' was right all the way. He was so blinded for his love to her that he closed his eyes and senses that notice Aerin's weird behavious. He was a very great spy, and of course, the brilliant one one he must admit his defeat. He was defeated by a girl -A normal girl to be more exact and that sounded very embarassing and pathetic for him. He wanted to hate her, but he still couldn't. After all the betrayals that she had done to him, after all the false hopes she gave to him, he still couldn't hate her. He felt dissappointed and angry, but that was all, nothing more, nothing less. It was really something that Seunghyun couldn't understand and probably wouldn't get the chance to understand. 

“Like the deal, Aerin. I shoot once, you shoot once.” He said and Aerin nodded.

“You first dad. Remember the rule dad, not the head. ” She said as she took out the gun.

"Any last word?" He asked a question that Seunghyun hated the most when he was watching any spy film. Seunghyun tdidn't have any last word. He couldn'te even force himself to think of one. But he did have a question stuck in his mind right now and this was probably the only chance he had before he closed his eyes for forever.

"Aerin, why do you have to betray me? Why? Why do you have to do this to me? Why do you play with me feelings? Why do you do all this ?" He asked rather emotionally.

"You dare to ask me why?" She raised here voice which was something that she never did to him. She was also using tone that Seunghyun didn't recognize. She leaned closer to him and with fury in her eyes, she said harshly, "You ing arrested my brother and sent him to jail! I visited him when I came back from the State and i saw him being beaten like there was no tomorrow! He was suffering there even though hew didn't tell me that, I could see it from his eyes! Since then, I've been hating you. I swore that I would take a revenge om you and just in time, my smart daddy was coming with a great plan. Good thing I studied psychology! I know what type of people you are and what type of people that match someone like you or type of people that is your interest. With that, I created a new identity for myself.I would be the type of people that will interest you. It was hard for me to pretend while at the same time I wanted to kill you so badly, but I had to for my own's sake. That was the price I had to pay if I wanted this to succeed and you see where we are now, right? Okay, back to the laptop. As a psychology student, I've learnt that there is only one thing that can be either the most powerful weapon in the world or the most dangerous thing. That's love. It can be the cure for all the painful things in the world but it can also break someone into pieces. It kilss more that disease. So now, you've known the reason. Anything else?" Seunghyun was speechless. He couldn't believe that he fell in love with a very cruel girl with no humanity at all. 

Aerin gave a look to her father and he nodded as he shot Seunghyun right to his liver. Seunghyun coughed blood as he could feel the bullet was burning him inside.

“Now my turn.” She said as she aimed directly to his heart. BANG!! Once again, Seunghyun felt another bullet got through him and he collapsed to the ground.

He still could see what was going before he lost all his consciousness.

The man was holding the gun and pointed right to his own head.

"Dad, are you sure with your decision? Are you sure you want to die this way? Are you sure you can die in peace?" Aerin asked as she knew what would come next and she ahd prepared to lose her only father if her father's decision was irrevocable.

"Yes, honey. I have to do this anyway. I do not want to suffer anymore. This cancer, it's really killing me slowly and painfully and I really no longer can bear this. I live and wait this long only for this moment to come. I just wanted to see him dead before me and it has come true, thanks to you. Now, I can leave this beautiful world peacefully. Aerin, please take care of your brother when he gets out. He is still so young and needs to learn more things to understand this world. I believe he will be a wise man one day. Don't let him repeat the same mistake, and please take care of all this mess. I'm so proud of you, girl. Good bye." He said before pulling the trigger and the bullet blew his brain. "Good bye, dad." She said softly. Aerin then asked the man that was holding her earlier to take away her father's dad body while she said that she would take care of Seunghyun's. The man of course nodded his head as she was now officially the boss, replacing her father.

When she heard the engine had started from downstairs, she approached Seunghyun‘s body and with all her strength, dragging him to the car that had waited for her at the side of the warehouse.