Chapter 8

Redemption

Seunghyun was immediately run to the nearest hospital and from there he was transferred to the best hospital in Seoul. Jiyoung immediately called Aerin to break the news.

“Aerin?” He called her the moment she picked up the call.

“Jiyoung? What’s the hospital? Seunghyun –I know what happened to him. I’ve told him not to leave!” Aerin’s voice was shaking and she was really crying hard. Jiyoung widened his eyes in horror as he thought that she was joking when she said she could see the future.

“Ji? Are you still there?” Aerin’s voice snapped him back to reality.

“Yes, yes, I’m sorry. Seoul hospital, operation room.” He answered her.

“I’ll be there in 10.” She said as she hung up the call. Aerin was really worried of Seunghyun and she knew what would happen; therefore, she stepped on the gas harder and got to the hospital on time. She quickly ran to the operation room and panted hard when she finally arrived there.

“Is Seunghyun still inside?” She asked and Jiyoung nodded instantly. She fiddled with her fingers as she sat down next to Jiyoung.

“He took the bullet for me, Aerin. It is me that is supposed to be there. I’m so sorry.” Jiyoung said.

“It’s not your fault.” She said in the middle of her sobbing. Just when Jiyoung was about to say something, the doctor came out from the operation room with an expression that Jiyoung and Aerin hoped they wouldn’t see.

“How’s he doctor?” Jiyoung and Aerin quickly stood up from their seat.

“He –He is…I’m sorry. We’ve done everything that we can but –“ The doctor was interrupted by Aerin’s scream, “Don’t! Don’t say that! You haven’t tried everything! You –“ She became so emotional.

“Listen to me first, his situation is really hard. His brain is dead, but his heart is still beating. So practically, he is half-dead.” The doctor said. Aerin quickly went inside and sat at the edge of the bed where Seunghyun was lying lifelessly there. His face was very pale and a lot of tools and things she didn’t recognize surrounding him.

“You! You promised me to come back! This isn’t supposed to end like this! This is all wrong! Seunghyun! Tell me, you are still breathing! You promised me! I have been waiting for you for so long! You, how can you be this cruel to me?” She scolded. But when she saw there was no respond from him, she broke again into tears, “Baby, please. I beg you, wake up. Wake up! I know that you are still not dead, I know! You are in the middle of 2 options, but please baby, come back to me! I do not want to live without you!” Aerin was losing herself as she grabbed the knife from the operation set tools. Jiyoung looked at her in horror, “Aerin, put that down! That is not what Seunghyun wants!”

“If he died, I would die too.” Aerin flashed a small smile. When she was about to cut her wrist, a weak voice from the person that she wanted to hear from so badly stopped her, “Don’t do that. I can’t live without you too.”

“Seunghyun!” She quickly dropped the knife and pecked him.

“I know you can hear me!” She cried again, but it was a cry of happiness.

“I always keep my promise, you know that, right?” Seunghyun flashed a small smile.

“Damn you! You made me so damn worried, like every single day. And just now, you made me really want to die!” She spoke in the middle of her cry.

“Nah, you can stop worrying about me now.” He smiled but Aerin shook her head.

“Get your off this bed and I’ll stop worrying about you.” She chuckled.

“Don’t worry, ma’am. I will get out of here fast!” He said.


Day by day went fast as it has been a week Seunghyun was at the hospital. Aerin never absent in visiting Seunghyun every single day. She would come to tell him her whole day and there they would have some cheesy moments together.

“Doctor said I can get out from here tomorrow.” Seunghyun told Aerin and Aerin smiled in delight.

“Really?” Seunghyun quickly nodded his head.

“I’ll cancel my schedule tomorrow!” Aerin said but Seunghyun shook his head, “You don’t have to. Jiyoung said that he can pick me up.”

“But I want to!” Aerin insisted and Seunghyun could only chuckle at her cute pout.

“Alright, alright, I’ll tell Jiyoung that you’ll pick me up instead.” Seunghyun said.

The next day, Aerin came to pick Seunghyun up. Seunghyun smiled instantly when he saw her.

“How are you, Mister?” Aerin joked.

“Very well, my lady.” Seunghyun joked along and they both broke into laughers. They joked along and teased each other until they reached the car.

“Well now you can officially stop worrying about me.” He smiled but once again Aerin shook her head in disapproval. Seunghyun furrowed his brows in confusion and he asked her, “Why?”

“I can never stop worrying about you as long as you are still an agent, Seunghyun.” She looked at him with sorrow in her eyes and he could tell that she was serious.

Seunghyun took a deep breath before he asked again,” What do you propose?”

“If you ask me what I really wish, I want you to quit the agency. But that would be very selfish of me to ask that. You did say that it’s your life. I’m not proposing anything, I just gave a statement.” Aerin flashed a small smile. Seunghyun looked at her in the eye and he could tell that Aerin was really sincere.

“It’s not my life anymore. You are my life now. I will do anything for you. Sorry, scratch that. I will do everything for you. Do you know what lesson I got when I was away from you for more than a year?” He asked and Aerin shook her head.

“I’ve learnt that life is seriously meaningless without the person you love beside you. It’s true that I thought that it would be fun and I did feel so excited about the mission. But when I am in it, I miss you all day, all night but what could I do? I didn’t even have a phone. I wanted to hear your voice so badly, but I couldn’t. It’s killing me when you’re away. All I wished for was I could go home as soon as possible so I can see you again.” Seunghyun said and Aerin was really touched by his words.

“So, if you want me to quit, I will.” Seunghyun said and successfully made Aerin cried in happiness.

“You really will? Think about it again. Once you out, you can’t get in again forever. I do not want to be the barrier for you to –“

“Hey, what are you saying? You are never a barrier for me. It’s my job that is a barrier to my happy life with you.” He said.

Aerin couldn’t help but to smile upon hearing him. “So, you are going to quit your job and live happily ever after with me?” She asked for a confirmation.

“Yes, my lady, so if I open the ending page of our love story, that words can be written there.” Seunghyun smiled in satisfaction. Seunghyun leaned it closer to Aerin and they shared kiss once again.

“I would like that ending too.” She said when she pulled up.


“What? You’re going to leave me here? But we are partners, aren’t we?” Jiyoung was shocked when Seunghyun told him that he was going to quit the job.

“I’m so sorry, Ji but my life’s partner is right. You see how I treated her, right? I can’t make her my number one unless I leave the other life in here.” Seunghyun explained. Jiyoung seemed to be thinking for a while. Although it was hard for him to let his partner go, he knew that it was necessary. He knew perfectly that what Seunghyun just said was the truth.

“It’s okay. I understood. I know this day will come though.” Jiyoung finally said as a sigh escaped his mouth.

“I’m really sorry.”

“No, no. Don’t be sorry. It’s just… It’s hard to find someone like you again, you know? Oh and I will miss you, you know? But other than that, I’m fine.” Jiyoung said.

“Thank you, Ji.” He said as he was about to give his resign proposal to Mr. Park –The one that in charged for human resources in the agency.

“Wait!” Jiyoung said when Seunghyun was about to turn the doorknob.

“We are still friends, right?” Jiyoung asked.

“After all, we are best friends. Oh by the way, we will be neighbors soon!” Seunghyun said.

“What do you mean?” Jiyoung asked in confusion.

“The house beside yours is being sold right? Nah, I’m the buyer.” Seunghyun smiled.

“Wait! I thought you said that it is harder to maintain housework?”

“I figure out that I will need to have a house. You know, I will propose to Aerin next year, right? I think apartment is not suitable for building a family. So, yeah! See you my soon-to-be neighbor!” Seunghyun laughed as he went out the office.

“Aish that guy! Couldn’t he tell me anything beforehand? Fortunately, my heart is strong enough to handle those shocking information!” Jiyoung said to himself.


01.00.A.M –Seoul Hospital

Two people sneaked into the warehouse where all the patients’ information was being saved. Both of them tried to find information that they needed.

“I’ve found the first target!”

“Which one?”

“Choi Seunghyun.”

“Nice one because I just found the second one.”

“Make sure it is not –“

“It’s Hwang Aerin, not Lee Aerin, I know.”

“Okay, let’s get out of here.”

The two mysterious figures quickly dashed to the parking lot and drove fast to a very big house where their boss has waited for their return. They gave the lady two files that she asked them to get.

“Here is your payment. Now, get lost!” She said and both of them quickly went out from the so called mansion. She read the files and smiled in satisfaction before she dialed a certain contact.