Chapter 1

Redemption

Choi Seunghyun heard a knock on his door’s office. He fixed his position before clearing his throat and said, “Come in.”

A beautiful young lady came in with some files on her arm and a smile crept on her face. “Sir, these are some confidential files that you asked this morning.” She said as she gently placed the files on the table. Seunghyun smiled when he knew it was his secretary.

“I think I’ve told you to just call me by name when we are alone, haven’t I, Ara?” Seunghyun chuckled a bit.

“I think that would slightly be discourteous, Sir.” She said again, still refusing the idea.

“Well then, suit yourself. Thank you by the way.” Seunghyun said while waving the files when the lady was about to get out from the room. She nodded with a smile still plastered on her face. Just when she was about to turn the doorknob, she flicked her own forehead as she turned around to face Seunghyun again.

“What’s wrong?” Seunghyun’s voice was clearly stating his concern.

“Almost forgot to tell you that Sir Oh will be holding a meeting in an hour and he personally requests you to come to the meeting along with your partner –Sir Kwon.” She said lady-like.

“Sure. Thanks!” Seunghyun nodded and the lady went out. If he had to admit, he would say that she was pretty, maybe even the prettiest in the office. However, if he was asked whether he liked her as a woman or not, he would say no instantly. Choi Seunghyun never believed in love. He believed that love just destroyed things. Born from a broken family made him grew into a tough, independent, and stubborn man. He joined the academy in his still early age -15. He was the second youngest at there, after Jiyoung that was happened to be his partner in the agency as well. He was recommended by his former boss to become a secret agent and was finally recruited when he was only 20, again, with Jiyoung as he would not take the chance if Jiyoung didn’t come along with him. Jiyoung was his closest friend and maybe his only close friend. He knew Seunghyun the most, but still, Seunghyun was a mystery to him even though they had been friends for more than 15 years.

As he was scanning through the files that he had just received, his door flung opened and he didn’t need to look up to know who the person was. “Can’t you knock, Kwon Jiyoung?” He sighed, but sure that he was just kidding.

“Oh c’mon! Why would that be needed anyways? Wanna grab some lunch?”

“Errrr… I haven’t finished the files.”

“Ah, screw that, you can come back to it later on. We will be in a sudden meeting with the boss, so before that, why don’t we relax a bit huh?” Jiyoung grinned widely. Seunghyun sighed and he knew he should get some air first because he felt his mind was almost exploding.

“Good idea.” He took off his blazer as Jiyoung and he went out from his room. They headed to the nearest restaurant across the office and ordered everything they wanted. 

“I wouldn’t know that I was famished if you didn’t ask me to grab some food.” Seunghyun said as he rubbed his tummy in satisfaction after taking the last bite of his pizza.

“Sometimes I know you better than yourself.” Jiyoung smiled playfully. Seunghyun poked his head and shook his head in disapproval. He checked his watch and his eyes widened in surprise as he quickly pulled out some money from his wallet and immediately grabbed Jiyoung’s by his shoulder.

“What the ?” Jiyoung was surprised by his sudden action.

“We’re going to be late to the meeting!” Seunghyun showed him his watch.

“We’re screwed!” Jiyoung said as they both ran to Seunghyun’s office to pick up their blazers.

“How do I look?” Jiyoung asked as he ran his figner through his hair and wiped away some sweats on his fore head.

“Not cool.” Seunghyun shrugged and Jiyoung rolled his eyes before they knocked the meeting room’s door and were permitted to come inside.

“Gentlemen, have a seat please.” Their boss said as he pointed two blank seats that had been set for them. They nodded and quickly sat on their seats.

“You both might wonder why I invite you to this meeting. Ladies and gentlemen, meet my best agents, Choi Seunghyun and Kwon Jiyoung. Seunghyun, Jiyoung, meet my boss, Mr Hwang, Mr. Soo, Mrs. Hyun, Mr. Park, and Mrs. Kim.” Sir Oh –Their boss introduced all of them. They shook hands for some moment before sitting back to listen to Mr. Oh.

“I believe that you all have been informed about my retire proposal and that most of you replied that I should seek a person to replace me. I believe you’ve also guessed who these two people are. Now, let’s get into my reason on promoting them. I assume you have heard about our latest breaking to the syndicate and that my agents succeeded in leading the mission. Mark Tuan –The boss of the cooperation had been caught and none of the evidence was missing. Before this great achievement, they had led numerous missions and succeeded in each of them, which in other words, they have never failed. I believe that agents with outstanding performance are allowed to get promotion. Therefore, I arranged this meeting regarding this subject. Before we hold a voting, I do want to know your opinions.” Mr. Oh opened the meeting. Jiyoung had a smile on his face while Seunghyun just wore his poker face on although inside, he was quite proud of himself.

“Let’s start from Mr. Hwang.” Sir Oh said. Seunghyun gave a quick look on Mr Hwang –A man around 40 with pointed nose and nice smile. His first impression was that Mr. Hwang was a quite nice and humorous guy and from the first glance, he had known that Mr. Hwang had nothing against his promotion. Mr Hwang straightened his position before speaking, “I have read the files about both of your agents. I agree that they have outstanding performance and I must admit that they are one of the best agents that we have. In conclusion, I have nothing against your intention to promote them.”

“Thank you for your opinion, Sir.” Mr Oh said and signaled Mr. Soo to speak. Seunghyun observed Mr. Oh and got an impression that this man was stricter than the former one. His sharp look, thick glasses and thin body proportion gave an impression that he was a bit intimidating.

“Thank you for the opportunity. I’ve read files about both of them that you handed last week and they have had remarkable achievements. I guess and I believe, they deserve to be promoted assessed from their skill and ability, however, I’m afraid that this promotion might make the situation inside the agency heating due to their age. I know that this might be an unprofessional opinion, however it has to be noted that nobody has ever been promoted to be a chief in such early age. The other agents might envy and I’m afraid other’s performance might decline as they lose their spirit.” Mr. Soo spoke.

Seunghyun furrowed his brows. Something was not like it had been informed to him earlier. He was sure he heard ‘a chief’ before. Just when Mr Oh was about to say thank you or whatever gratitude words he was about to say, Seunghyun raised his hand in attempt to clear things up.

“Yes, Seunghyun?”

“I thought we are promoted to be the head of field agents, Sir.” Seunghyun bravely stated.

“Oh yes, that’s correct. One of you is promoted to be the head of field agents, and the other is to replace my position to be a chief.” Sir Oh said.

Jiyoung started to understand the situation as he also raised his hand, “Sir, with all respect, we accept to be promoted in condition that we will still be partner in the future. What I know about a chief’s duty is to monitor his field agents and manage other’s positions.”

“Well, that is correct. However, you miss a crucial information here. Chief and head of field agents are partners. Chief will always have to cooperate wilt the head of field agents to know more about the agents. Since Mr. Kang retired last year, there has been a vacancy of the head position in this agency. What a coincidence, it’s now my time to retire. So, there will be two vacant positions now and since you both agree to be promoted in condition that you will still be partners, I come up with this idea.” Mr. Oh explained patiently. Seunghyun and Jiyoung seemed to be thinking hard before Seunghyun once again decided to speak, “Sir, may I know who between us is promoted to be the chief and who is promoted to be the head of field agents?”

“The thing is, that is still not decided yet. I will hold another meeting regarding this thing with the council to discuss which position will suit you the best.” Mr. Oh said and both Seunghyun and Jiyoung nodded in understanding. They still do not really like the idea of splitting their job, however, as long as they are still partners in some parts, they will not be against it.

“Now, can we proceed?” Mr. Oh asked and everyone in the room nodded in approval.

“Thank you Mr. Soo for your opinion, now, let’s listen to Mrs. Hyun.” Mr. Oh continued.

”Thank you for the opportunity, Mr. Oh. I slightly disagree with Mr. Soo about the age warning. I believe that all agents in this agency are professional and I am sure that they will understand the reasons we promote them regardless their age because after all, the facts cannot be questioned. If an agent has the ability and skill higher than anybody else and remarkable achievements, he is entitled to be promoted. Therefore, I think it is unfair for these agents if we also judge based on their age because personally, I think age has nothing to do with skill and ability. However, I have a bit warning regarding this promotion. Both of them are field agents with excellent skill and abilities, however, they are inexperienced in handling management. I am not sure whether these positions will suit them.” Mrs. Hyun said while sometimes adjusted her glasses that slipped down to her nose.

“Thank you, Mrs. Hyun. Let’s proceed to Mr. Park.” Sir Oh said.

A man around 50 cleared out his throat before spoke, “I have nothing against the promotion and I think that it is a great idea. I agree with Mrs. Hyun, however, I also believe that your agents will get used to their new jobs hence there will be no problem. I just want to propose an idea. I think you should give them a briefing and also a brief training about their new job, so they will get used to faster.”

“That’s a very good idea, Mr. Park! Thank you for your opinion. Now, what do you have Mrs. Kim?” Mr. Oh smiled to the lady. Seunghyun glanced at the woman and guessed that she was the youngest amongst all in the room, maybe only around thirty seven or thirty eight. She wore contact glasses and her hair was short. She sat upright and her body language showed that she was a good analyzer.

“Thank you, Mr. Oh. I completely agree with Mr. Park. These two agents are the best agents we have and the best in history with records of 670 missions accomplished with no failures at all. They are also the youngest that got accepted in this agency. Even from this facts, we all have known that they deserve the promotion.” Mrs. Kim said.

After each of them stated their opinion, some debates and arguments occured. At the end of the meeting, they had finally agreed on something.

“Thank you for all your opinions. I have noted all crucial considerations and our discussion's results for today. See you in the council meeting next week. Dismiss.” He said and one by one of them left the room. Just when Jiyoung and Seunghyun was about to go back to their rooms, the chief held them back.

“May I have a moment with you guys?” Mr. Oh asked and both of them nodded almost instantly.

“You do know that Mr. Soo and Mrs. Hyun have their points, right?” He asked.

“I guess so, Sir.” Jiyoung answered first and Seunghyun just nodded. The chief heaved a sigh as he spoke, “Be careful and tough. There are going to be some people that might be against you and some problems that you have to overcome. However, I have faith in both of you. I do not have other candidates to be promoted. The truth is I cannot think of other names.” The chief grinned widely.

“We will not let you down, Sir.” They both said in unison.

“That’s what I want to hear.” The chief once again smiled in satisfaction before he went out.