Foolish

Everything Can Be Loved

About to start one of my final exams for school! But since I had it done, I quickly wanted to post this chapter!

Ha! Readers who called me a tease, MEHRONG~! xP

Don't forget to check out the playlist for this story: HERE

Hope you enjoy!


Kyungsoo wakes up alone.

 

It’s extremely quiet. There’s no sound. Everything is silent.

 

The pool of water is still. There are no waves, no droplets of water heard from afar, no sound of a gentle rush of river.

 

And the thin trees that have miraculously sprouted under the earth don’t sway with wind or harbor life within them.

 

It’s so quiet. Kyungsoo can hear his own heartbeat.

 

His head does a sort of zero-gravity jump when he sits up slowly. He has to press his palms to his temples to steady himself. The groove between his neck and shoulder is still sore. Every time he moves his neck he winces in pain.

 

With a small dash of excitement he looks around for the wolf. Was he back?

But as he had secretly known, the cave is dark and quiet. There is no one present. Kyungsoo pouts. Surely the beast had gone to get him food or something of the like. After all, he was the mate of Rakasa Serigala now, the wolf was going to take care of him, right?

 

And the memory comes quickly. A flash of blue eyes and the pain he’d felt when sharp teeth penetrated his neck.

 

You will be my mate.

 

The wolf had claimed him in that bite, he’d marked Kyungsoo. There would be a scar there for the rest of his life. And the induk feels a small pleasant buzz in his stomach at that idea. His fingers gently trace the deep grooves that are still tender where the monster’s teeth had sunk in.

 

“I’m someone’s mate.” he whispers to the world. He almost smiles.

 

It was yesterday that he had been sentenced to death.

 

Today he was someone’s mate. Was it wrong of him to be happy about this? That after numerous of others have died to protect their village, he had been spared as the beast’s mate?

 

A frown forms on his lips. He still can’t understand why though. Why would Rakasa Serigala, the great monster wolf, want him as a mate? The beast had to have an understanding that the moon tribe only sacrificed the weak ones, that only the worthless were thrown to death. Yes, his people always preached of what an honor it was to be chosen to protect the village. But everyone knew without having to say it out loud. Only those who were of no use and who were s would be given to die. For if one had no skill and no one who mated with them, surely they were of no use to the Candra Suku.

 

For decades, well before Kyungsoo’s own grandfather had been born, the monster wolf had kept the tradition of three ’s each year. They had all died, only blood and jewels remaining the next day for the tribe to clean and collect.

 

And why now? Why after so many years, generations, did the monster wolf now choose a mate? And why him?

 

So many questions filled Kyungsoo’s mind, many worries and many fears. He didn’t know where to go from here, what to do. This new life with the beast, he wasn’t sure how it all worked or how he would feel.

There’s a small patch of hope within, a small frail patch of hope that he’ll be happy. The wolf had seemed gentle enough, kind enough, maybe he wasn’t a bloodthirsty animal like everyone thought.

 

The induk finally gets to his feet after pondering in his thoughts for some time. With a groan he stretches out tight muscles and feels an overwhelming sense of satisfaction as several joints crack and the soreness lessens. The patch of stone where he stands isn’t very big. It is just wide enough to fit the expanse of he and the wolf comfortably. But no more.

 

A thin strip of stone trails around the edge of the lake, leading to the separate tunnels. That strip is the only way for one to navigate out of the small stone made room.

 

Left is one tunnel, right is another. Kyungsoo glances back and forth between the two. Should he wait for the beast? Or should he wander a bit and explore? Clearly he remembers the command whispered against his skin,

 

Stay. I’ll be back.

 

“You kept me waiting all night,” Kyungsoo whispers, “I shall not sit around idle.”

 


 

The left tunnel is short and wide but very steep. It only takes about twenty steps before Kyungsoo can see the sky outside. He hears life, animals and wind, and he sees sunlight glittering down onto the dirt floor. The sight is beautiful and welcoming.

 

Kyungsoo’s pace quickens. Curiosity asks him if this tunnel leads to the opening where the suci kado meet their fate, or if it is the other side of the mountain. And it is the latter that makes the induk excited.

 

The Moon tribe has never been beyond the Mati Dolok. Fear had been instilled in them, the unknown lingered over the massive dark mountain. What they understood was that their people were safe in the valley. Because the shark river blocked the sun tribe they had escaped from, and the monster wolf protected them from any force beyond the mountain.

 

He huffs and puffs as he climbs over rocks, moving upward towards the large opening where the bright sky greets him. And it’s with a little more effort and a strain of muscles that the induk pulls himself to the very top and stands.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes squeeze shut because the sunshine is bright and intense. But the burning warmth it releases onto his skin is pleasant.

 

He smiles as he blinks his eyes open. He is almost to the opening. The trees are so green so alive. He loves them. The air is alive, it buzzes and flows around him. He loves it. And he can hear so many wild calls from animals deep in nature. He loves them all.

 

Everything is alive, everything can be loved.

 

When his body finally reaches the wide and tall opening, a small breath escapes his lips.

 

As far as his eyes could see, there was green. Vibrant, breathing, delicious green in all sorts of shades and textures. Greens rolling up and down and dipping low. Kyungsoo’s mouth hangs open. His heart is racing. His eyes are memorizing the scenery before him.

 

This is the other side of the mountain.

 

“Beautiful.” he whispers to himself, as if it was a cherished secret he couldn’t tell another soul.

 

The land is massive and spreads out for miles. Millions of trees clustered together tightly, surely letting only sprinkles of light onto the forest floor beneath them. Kyungsoo smiles and laughs lightly. There was nothing terrifying about the other side of the mountain. It was beautiful.

 

He takes one step out of the cave. His toes revel in the sharp rock that gently flows into fresh soil. Wishful thinking hopes he can explore further, that he’ll get a few moments to wander just a tiny bit and see this new world before him.

 

When his eyes slowly look down, the air is almost knocked out of his lungs.

 

He is high up. Very high up.

 

Only a few steps forward and the land dropped off. And now that the induk really looks out onto the land he can tell just how small and far away the canopy of the trees look. The wolf really did live in the mountain. Not just at the cave where the Candra Suku left their pure gifts. That was only an opening.

 

Rakasa Serigala lived at the top of the dark mountain, overlooking the rest of the land.

 

He’s too distracted by the breath-taking sight before him to notice the ice blue eyes glaring at him from the right. He does eventually, when a firm hand wraps around his throat and presses his body against the cave wall. He’d been rushed back into the darkness, back into the tunnel, and the snap of the rock against his back makes him hiss in pain.

 

The beast is pressed against him, snarling down on him, “I said stay.”

 

Kyungsoo coughs when he’s released. Anger rises quickly and he turns to the retreating back, ready to yell in disapproval of how he was just treated.

 

“Either get back in here or I’ll shove you off the cliff.” the rough voice warns. The gravel pitch echoes off the tunnel walls and vibrates against Kyungsoo’s skin.

 

He must be protective, Kyungsoo tries to reason mentally, and quietly follows his new mate back into the mountain.

 


 

Chanyeol hasn’t been the same since the night of Kyungsoo’s death. He’s quiet. He’s still. And if it weren’t for the obvious intake of breath, how his chest rose and fell, Baekhyun might have thought the pencari himself had died.

 

Maybe it had been foolish of him, to send the prodigy of the Parkpencari clan out to watch his little crush die.

 

He’d sent the hunter with the sword the tukang had made himself. It was a project that had taken him weeks. Lots of fire, lots of silver pieces, lots of water from the river and a good mount of pearls had been poured into that precious sword. And he’d given it to Chanyeol to defeat the monster wolf and save his precious failure.

 

Really, he’d given the weapon and planted the thought of killing the beast in hopes that Chanyeol would witness the failure’s death. Apparently it had worked out the way Baekhyun had wanted.

 

Some would say he was cruel, but he has been determined to make the hunter see.

Baekhyun could never be Chanyeol’s mate.

 

But Kyungsoo wasn’t the right one either. He wasn’t good at his craft and he was a mockery to the village. Baekhyun had wanted Chanyeol to see it on his own, see how the failure became the pure gift.

 

Maybe he was cruel. But he was right.

 

The morning after the sacrifice everything in the village had been normal. Groups of children ran about with screams and laughter, heading to respective huts to either be watched or learn their trade. A small number of pencari were packing up knives and spears to go out and catch a few animals for their families. Gentle smoke drifted from a few huts were surely koki and induk cooked morning meals.

 

Baekhyun had carried his baby sister over to Luna’s hut. He greeted the head induk briefly and saw how the caregiver had to force a smile. Her newest student was dead. But life had to go on. And she had little ones who were dependent on her.

 

The tukang took notice of the lead warrior that morning. He was walking with the lead healer, smile on his face and a hop in his step. Even Baekhyun thought it was a ridiculous to be so carefree after his own son’s death.

 

Overall the morning had been normal, boring in fact. And the tukang sighed as he headed over to where other craftsmen were gathered. He picked up a long thick branch from his station among the others. Half of it was still rough and in its natural form. The other was partially smooth, curved intentionally. He had been carving it carefully, planning on molding it into a fine bow. He had planned to ask one of the hunters to catch him two or so eagles for the arrows.

 

“Chanyeol looks like he didn’t sleep last night.” A female craftsman snorts. Suji is of the Baetukang clan. She’s always been at Baekhyun’s heels in skill. And the joke within the tukang community is that their skills match their attitudes. Haughty and quick.

 

Baekhyun’s bow is forgotten as his eyes search the grounds nearby. The hunter is hard to miss with his towering frame and red flying hair. He’s staring off into space, a look of confusion and defeat in his frown.

 

“Wasn’t he trying to court suci kado?” another tukang male smirks, his tone mocking.

 

“Yeah, so much for being a great hunter. You’d think his heightened senses that he uses to catch all those boars would tell him that sorry excuse for a prajurit was only good for being the pure gift.” Suji cackles. She’s joined by several others.

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes at the comment and leaves behind his project, gaze set on the hunter who’s dragging the silver sword behind him.

 

Chanyeol doesn’t stop walking until a hand pushes against his chest.

 

“What happened?” the tukang whispers. He glances around warily, but no one is paying them much attention.

 

And he will never forget the look on hunter’s face. Chanyeol looks completely defeated, done, and enraged. His large eyes are red and b with tears and his bottom lip is trembling. Baekhyun bites the inside of his cheek because he knows that he was partially the cause of this.

 

He almost regrets it. Almost.

 

But then again he wanted the pencari to see it, to see the failure die.

 

But he also hadn’t anticipated how in pain his old friend looked in that moment.

 

“He’s gone.” Chanyeol’s voice is dry, broken.

 

 

 

That had been two days ago. The son of the Parkpencari has not been on any hunts since then. He’s barely eaten. Noone can tell if he’s slept. All they know is that he sits outside of his hut and doesn’t move. He keeps looking out into nothingness. Sometimes he scowls. Sometimes he reaches up and wipes at the dirt stained cheeks where clears paths remain from his tears.

 

“I think he’s broken. Maybe he’ll be the next suci kado.” Suji laughs.

 

The craftsman cringes at how all the tukang laugh together. Had it been foolish of him? Had he made the wrong decision in sending Chanyeol to watch Kyungsoo?

 

No. He would be okay. Chanyeol was the best hunter, he was greater than that. And Kyungsoo had been nothing but a failure. Foolish was what the son of Parkpencari had been, choosing the failed son of Doprajurit as his mate. Not Baekyhun. It had to be done, the hunter had to understand. Foolishness? No.

 

“He just needs a few days. Keep your opinion to yourself you unskilled halfwit.” Baekhyun growls back. The laughter falls silent, no one wanting to challenge the head tukang’s son.

 

Only Suji rolls her eyes at him and mutters, “Fools defend fools.”

 

Baekhyun smacks his knife into the work table, impatience written on his brow. Every tukang jumps and several eyes stare at him and wait.

 

“If something is so important that you must say it,” he points his knife right at the daughter of Baetukang, “then please don’t say it under your breath. Say it to my face, coward.”

 

Pride is what makes Suji roll her eyes again, but its fear that keeps shut.

 

With a flare of rage he hacks his carver’s knife into his thick branch.

It will be a beautiful bow. It will be strong and even, balanced and graceful. He will give it as a gift to the hunter that remains in his heart.


He just needs a few days, Baekhyun tells himself, and then he’ll come back to me.


Ah but will be Baekhyun? We shall see!

I didn't get a chance to reply to all the comments (homie gotta study ya feel?) but I promise I did read all of them! I enjoyed some of your theories and strong opinions!  I totally encourage you guys to discuss with eachother and stuff. As always I'll do my best to answer questions you have!

Thank you freading, subscribing, commenting, dancing, eating, galloping, all that good stuff.

Much love doves,

 

Porter