Failure

Everything Can Be Loved

Here goes nothing!

Don't forget to have the dictionary open in a seperate tab for reading ease!


There is a land, a deep valley nestled between a river and a mountain. With lush trees that create a green canopy, and fertile dark soil on the forest floor. The land is alive with nature and above all else magic. Everything is alive. Everything serves a purpose.

 

A soft whisper hushes through the thick air of the Candra Rimba, the moon forest, that seeps into the tall trees and guides the colorful birds across the land. The whisper rides along the rushing river and settles inside the caves of the mountains.

 

In the center of the land lives a group of people. They are ancient in their traditions, they are a great many who thrive off the land.

 

They call themselves the Candra Suku, the moon tribe, because they live in the moon forest and pray to the moon herself.

They also live in fear of the monster in the mountain. The Rakasa Serigala, the giant monster wolf. And to remain in their home they must offer a sacrifice on the full moon at the monster’s cave.

 

The Candra Suku are hunters and gatherers who follow all rules made by their chief at all times. They are a people of strict traditions who believe that rules are a must and they must be followed in order to prosper.

 

Hiu Sungai is the shark river that keeps the moon tribe separate from the beasts with many teeth and claws.

 

Mati Dolok is the dead mountain where the Mati Kahaf is, the dead cave. And all of the moon tribe knows that the Mati Kahaf is where the monster wolf rests.

 

Ketua, chief elder, watches over all of the Candra Suku with wisdom and justice in mind.

 

Prajurit, the warriors, are the soldiers of the moon tribe who fight anything and anyone who threatens their people.

 

Induk, mothers, are the caregivers of the moon tribe whose purpose is to  give birth to young and care for them all their lives.

 

Dukun, healers, are the medicine masters of the moon tribe that help heal the sick and guide births in the village.

 

Tukang, craftsman, are the builders and blacksmiths of the moon tribe who build shelter, weapons, and tools for their people.

 

Pencari, hunters, are the men who go out past the river and mountain to kill game for their people to eat as well as cut down firewood for winters. Among them lies a few Koki, chefs, who cook the hunted meat and fruits gathered.

 

One person is chosen to be the sacrificial lamb for the monster wolf. Because that was the monster’s terms; feed him a on the full moon  three times a year and he will leave the village in peace. So three times a year, a Suci Kado is chosen, a pure gift, to be given to the Rakasa Serigala.

 

One under the Wolf Moon, one under the Flower Moon and one under the Harvest Moon.

 

Because they believe everything is alive, everything serves a purpose

 

 


 

 

On a cold night, in a large hut with many dukuns and induks, a mother’s cries were heard. As the lead dukun guided the baby out, as the induks prepared a blanket, a child was born. As fireflies danced in celebration and a father hugged a tired mother, a child took in his first breath of air. Candles surround the small group of people and a new father gazed on his son proudly. He was to be a prodigy, born from a long strong lineage of warriors. His father was a leading warrior, his grandfather one as well. All of his uncles and cousins were strong prajurits who were fierce and never backed down in fear.

 

This child was meant to be a warrior.

 

“His name?” the lead dukun asked the new mother. The small bundle was placed in her arms and wide dark eyes stared up at her.

 

She smiled and pressed a soft kiss to his forehead, “His name is Kyungsoo, of the Doprajurit clan.”

 

His father leaned forward, letting his eyes take in the sight of his son.

 

“Kyungsoo of the Doprajurit clan, you will be the greatest warrior.”

 

 


 

 

Everything is alive, everything can be defeated.

 

That was what he had been taught. What he had been told everyday of his life, because he was prajurit, a moon tribe warrior. He came from a strong line of soldiers who fought the beasts with many teeth and claws. He was born with intent to be strong willed and tall, with muscles that could help him travel long distance and fight hand to hand combat.

 

Kyungsoo was told that everything was alive in the moon forest, and that everything could be defeated.

 

No one told him he could be the biggest failure in the Candra Suku’s history.

 

“Just shoot.” the gruff voice ordered beside him. An eagle’s calling chimes in the distance. Kyungsoo cringes and his fingers tighten over the spear in his hand. His breath is catching short and he feels his palms starting to sweat. To kill things is to be a prajurit, killing should come to him second nature. A small rabbit is nestled against a tree trunk. A small nose wiggles about tirelessly, a fluffy tail twitches. It should be easy to throw this spear and take the rabbit’s life.

 

He can imagine it, the sharp tip of his spear piercing the fur, the blood seeping onto the dark dirt floor. And his heart is heavy with remorse. Kyungsoo sighs deeply and drops his arms, effectively letting the long spear fall to the dirt floor.

 

“You failed again.” his friend laughs, but Kyungsoo can see the nervous way his eyes shake. This was his last chance to prove himself.

 

“I know.” Kyungsoo sighs, he hops forward and is fast enough to grab the rabbit by the ears. With a happy smile he pets the soft fur and nuzzles the creature whose heart is running a mile a minute. Poor thing is frightened, and Kyungsoo quickly puts it back down and watches it jump away between trees.

 

“Your father is going to give me that look of disappointment, I volunteered to train you and you can’t even kill a rabbit? Failures. Both of us.” Chanyeol sighs and crouches down to rest his face in his hands in defeat. The hunter’s long body is tone, crazy red hair askew from running all morning. Chanyeol was a pencari, and a good one at that. He’d been up at the crack of dawn, racing through the forest barefoot with his spear and knife. By the time he’d gone and woken up Kyungsoo, the sun had risen and Chanyeol had already dragged two wild boar carcases back to his hut.

 

And Kyungsoo’s father had warned him before he left with his best friend. Old eyes and a permanently scowling mouth glaring at him.

 

“You better kill something today. Don’t fail me.”

 

All day they’d hunted, up near the river and closer to the mountain. Across their land, up and down, between trees and beneath rocks. With Chanyeol’s skill they’d spotted several boar, elk, deer, and rabbits.

 

Each time Kyungsoo had held the spear, his arm twisted back and ready to strike, and then he could never do it. The thought of killing something terrified him and made his stomach sick. His father had warned him for the last time to do what his name said he could do.

 

He had failed for the last time.

 

Kyungsoo gnaws on his bottom lip  as worry bubbles in his stomach. And unfortunately the sun is setting, so its time to head back and face his family.

 

 


 

 

Several prajurits stare as he and Chanyeol walk through the main road of the village. Their eyes are judging him, measuring and wondering if he’s finally met his goal. A measly wild animal killing. It’s something that should be a pencari child’s first task, but it is Kyungsoo’s biggest challenge.

 

They reach the higher circle, a grouping of six large huts placed together. And in each hut a prestigious family represents each of the trades of the moon tribe. Kyungsoo’s family lives in this circle, as his father is the lead warrior. Chanyeol’s father is the lead hunter.

 

A child runs out, a tukang baby with cute chubby cheeks and bright eyes, and trips over a small stone. He tumbles into the dirt with a small squeak and lands on his face.

 

Kyungsoo rushes forward immediately and picks him up, dusts him off and starts to dry the emerging tears. He hushes the baby and holds him close, gently patting his back.

 

There are eyes watching him, his father and his mother mainly, and Kyungsoo almost feels shame for what he’s doing. But the child in his arms clings tighter, and his instincts cover the guilt. He cradles the baby tightly and rocks him to a solid calm before setting him down and letting him toddle back to his hut.

 

His father has a scars across his neck, his back, his arms, and many other places. Battle scars he wears proudly. The old man blocks the entrance to Kyungsoo’s home.

 

“Did you kill anything?” comes the question with a knowing gaze.

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t have to verbally answer. It’s obvious with the lack of animal in his hands. He wasn’t able to kill anything. He will never be able to kill anything.

 

“We need to see Ketua. Tonight.” his father’s glare is something Kyungsoo is used to. He turns and waves farewell to Chanyeol, who heads into his own hut. The sun is dipping behind the mountain, and the moon tribe is starting to light their window candles.

 

Tonight they will see Chief. Chief will settle Kyungsoo’s future tonight.

 

 


 

 

Ketua is a wise woman. She is strong and beautiful, full of grace and knowledge. She reigns from a dukun clan, and she grew up a perfect healer who had powers beyond imagination. She was also the lead dukun at the time of Kyungsoo’s birth, she was the one to first hold Kyungsoo and deliver him to his mother.

 

Ketua Miyoung, thank you for meeting with us tonight.” Kyungsoo’s father bows deeply before sitting on the chief’s left. On the right is the lead hunter. The lead healer is next to him and the lead caregiver is seated next to Kyungsoo’s father. The lead craftsman is next to the healer. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol kneel before the Ketua with their heads bowed.

 

“Father why must you drag me here?” a snarky voice rings out in the solemn silence. Kyungsoo sends a sharp glance to the boy who rolls his ignorant eyes. Baekhyun was born a gifted tukang. By the time he could walk he had made several versions of wooden statues in favor of their chief. All of them more beautiful than the last.

 

“Baekhyun of the Byuntukang clan, be silent.” Ketua spoke calmly.

 

Silence does indeed follow and it is Ketua’s time to speak. What she will say will be law, and no one will be able to oppose.

 

“Chanyeol of the Parkpencari clan, is it true you attempted to train Kyungsoo of the Doprajurit clan to be a true prajurit?”

 

Chanyeol nods and Kyungsoo spots his best friend’s fingers twitching, sees his eyes shaking as he stares at the floor.

 

“And he was unable to kill, as any prajurit should?”

 

Chanyeol nods his head.

 

“Then it is quite evident that Kyungsoo is not a warrior. Not a hunter either. If he cannot even do a pencari child’s task, surely he is neither a fighter or a killer.”

 

That sentence alone makes Kyungsoo’s stomach turn. How disappointed his father will be, how worried his mother shall be. He dares to take a peek. The lead warrior is staring at him, distaste evident in his scowl. Kyungsoo was born a prodigy, and he’d grown up a failure.

 

“Kyungsoo is not a healer either, he would have shown promise earlier. Nor a crafter, for he has never built any tool or weapon in his life. It is quite evident what he is.” here it comes. Ketua will say it, and it will be final.

 

“Kyungsoo is an induk. He is a caregiver, who most likely will be able to bear a child in the future. Even if he can’t he will care for all of the tribe’s children and nurse them as long as he lives. He is not a warrior but a caregiver. That is final.”

 

He hangs his head in relief, and in shame. So much dishonor on himself.

 

Baekhyun laughs loudly, and Chanyeol cringes. Kyungsoo’s father mutters something under his breath. And Ketua looks down at him with a slight smile.


Kyungsoo is an induk. He is a failure.


Hope you guys enjoyed! And I hope you stick around for more!

shout out to whovian for reading through and encouraging me~

 

Much love doves,

 

Porter