Perspective

Everything Can Be Loved

Yay for another update! Hopefully now we can move on from the drama am I right?

Anywho hope you enjoy! Be sure to check out the playlist I made for this story (link posted in previous chapters!)


 

The scream is felt before it was heard. Echoes break the atmosphere of his mind, they penetrate down to the endings of his nerves and scald. He physically freezes and feels the tremor run through him. His father had once told him about it, the claim calling him and how it would make him feel.

 

“It depends on the call of the claim. If it is lustful you’ll feel it in your gut and a tingle down to your toes. If it is a call of joy or fun it will make you feel light headed and giggly like a child.”

 

“And a call for help? For pain?” young Yifan had asked curiously.

 

His father winced before whispering, “An unimaginable pain right to your chest. Like a hot spear through your heart. You feel the pain and the fear of your mate. And Yifan, then you will know the meaning of rage.”

 

White hot pain brings tears to his eyes and Yifan takes off. He’s faster than the strongest wind, his paws almost gliding across the forest floor. It’s almost like he can see the scream and he follows it until the sweet scent of his mate is picked up. The screaming is getting louder as his his heart beat. He must get to his mate before the enemy does. Whomever, whatever it is, he will tear them in two before they touch one hair on Kyungsoo’s head.

 

Yifan!” his mate cries out, almost sounding angry that the wolf hasn’t found him yet.

 

A few feet ahead. Yifan’s legs move faster. Faster. Faster.

 

Scents of jasmine and lake water greet him as well, and he already knows what creatures hunt his mate. It will be a tough fight, but they will die. Every last one of them will die.

 

Yifan! Please!” Kyungsoo’s voice breaks off into a sad whimper. Faster. Faster.

 

The morph back to human is quick, nothing but a shimmer of air, and he leaps over an abnormally large root mounting a boulder.

 

Nothing in his entire life could have prepared him for the overwhelming wash of emotions when his eyes finally catch sight of the most beautiful face in the entire world. His arms are filled with Kyungsoo. His small and thin mate is caught mid air and caged in strong arms as they fall down. The human has little time to squeak in surprise before they hit the ground hard and roll into the dirt. Yifan lands on top, breathing heavily and eyes ablaze.

 

Kyungsoo is overcome with thankfulness at the site of those blue eyes. They are abuzz with anger, so much so that he almost shrinks back at the hand that descends toward his face, but he is pleasantly surprised by the gentle touch to his cheek.

 

In return the wolf’s eyebrows fly up as he’s tugged down into a tight hug. The human has no super powers or strength of any sort. But he can feel how tight Kyungsoo is holding on to him, how his body is trembling violently and he’s whispering Yifan’s name over and over again like a prayer.

 

Those blue eyes were sent from the heavens. Yifan smells of soil and water, but he smells like the wolf Kyungsoo has slept next to the last few nights. He never thought he’d be so happy to inhale against Yifan’s skin, that he’d hold onto the large body tighter when he felt the grip around him loosen.

 

“Yifan.” he sighs with a slight tremble. Just knowing the wolf was here made him feel protected.

But the moment is interrupted by a chorus of hisses and growls from behind them.

 

The wolf is quick to stand and tuck his mate behind him, neon eyes glowing with warning.

 

Both Jaguars shift back into their human forms with ease, smirks on their faces as they eye the wolf man and his new mate.

 

“Too bad your mark hasn’t settled in just yet, you wouldn’t have to die so easily.” The dark haired jaguar chuckles. If Kyungsoo was full wolf by now, Yifan wouldn’t have to fight alone.

 

“I don’t believe his little mate would be of use anyways, seems to be the timid type.” the blonde one smiles and winks at Kyungsoo.

 

“Have faith kittens,” Yifan retorts, “both your hearts will stop beating today.”

 

Two pairs of yellow eyes gleam with excitement at the challenge. Kyungsoo only feels his heart beating out of his chest. Damn being an induk at this moment. He wished with all his might that he had the prajurit will and force to fight, even some pencari skills now.

 

“I’m useless,” he whispers under his breath. But Yifan turns quickly to push the caretaker next to the nearest tree trunk and leans close.

 

“You are important to me, not useless.” he urges. Kyungsoo feels his heart beating loudly for a new reason, “And I promise that if I make it out of this,”

 

He hesitates at the pained look in Kyungsoo’s eyes.

 

When I do make it out of this, we will be discussing things for the future. Understood?”

 

They would discuss things? Discuss their relationship? Discuss their future? The end? Hundreds of questions run across Kyungsoo’s mind in that moment. Hope sparks deep in his heart, but doubt is still a present darkness.

He can only nod his head slightly.

 

Yifan nods back and with a deep sigh turns to face the two jaguars in animal form waiting for him. They both bare their teeth at him, saliva dripping and pink tongues curling out. Each whisker on their faces twinkle in the sunlight. Their coats look soft and shimmer through the light. Such sharp teeth, long pointed and white.

 

Those teeth could puncture Yifan’s fur. They would grip and tear, rip the wolf to shreds. Sharp long pointy white teeth that were ready to snap and bite. Kyungsoo feels his knees tremble. Even the bravest warrior in his tribe would run at the sight of these wild animals.


 

Kyungsoo doesn’t think, he grabs for Yifan’s wrist at the last moment. He tugs and makes the man turn and look at him.

 

“Please come back, Yifan, please.” he whispers right against the wolf’s ear.

 

A deep thrumming goes off deep inside the wolf. An elated high pitch feeling. Is it a need to protect? A thankfulness for the affection shown? A determination to come back and make their situation better?

Maybe it was everything. Either way it felt like Yifan had an energy boost, and adrenaline rush.

 

He turns and shifts to white fur and sharp teeth, to neon blue eyes and pointed ears. He howls towards the sky and after a quick breath, charges.

 

 


 

 

Two against one would be a difficult fight for anyone.

 

He has to watch his back at all times. If he loses focus even for a moment, the cat he can’t see behind him will attack. If he falls for a second, not one but two will descend upon him and tear him apart.

 

And then they would tear his mate apart as well.

 

Yifan was not going to let that happen.

 

It’s expected that the jaguars would split up, try to spread out and surprise him from behind. He knows they expect him to follow one of them so the other can come up from behind.

 

And he follows through with this part of their plan. He follows the golden one with a snarl, jaws set for the throat of the cat. But before he can get to close, the sharp pain sinks into his back.

 

The black one has lunged, as expected, and drags him back.

 

The wolf turns his head round, snapping furiously. He’s able to grip the black cat’s shoulder for a moment and twist. Blood is bitter, and it tastes a little like victory. The loud growl that rings in Yifan’s ears is quickly followed by the sting of claws scraping his face.

 

He falls. For a second he falls.

 

As the black jaguar lunges, mouth full of sharp teeth wide open, Yifan dodges. To both cats’ surprise, he jumps past the black jaguar and towards the golden one. The golden one had been waiting for the black one to get a hold of the wolf, he’d been waiting for the opportunity to join in the killing. He’s not expecting Yifan, thought the wolf would attack the black one, but no. He lunges as quickly as possible and internally smirks.

 

More blood gushes into his mouth. It’s so warm in contrast to the damp floor. Yifan locks his jaw and bites as deep the flesh will allow. The jaguar fights, growls and whines, but the wolf’s teeth are too far in. He drags the beast across the forest floor violently and shakes the cat’s body over and over again.

 

When there is no more pulse, the body is dropped and abandoned.

 

Yifan shifts and glances around anxiously.

 

The entire time he’d been killing the golden jaguar, he’d been waiting for the black one to attack.

 

The area around him is empty and quiet.

 

“Kyungsoo?” he calls.

 

Silence.

 

He runs forward, following the man’s scent, or what’s left of it. It’s like a thin trace of mist in the air, so tiny and Yifan can barely find it. But he follows with hope.

 

What he finds makes him stop dead in his tracks. His mouth falls open. His mind draws a blank.

 

“Kyungsoo?” he calls, even though he can clearly see the other now.

 

His mate. The one who had cried so much, who had been abandoned because he was weak, the one who was frail in front of the wolf.

 

There is blood splattered over his face, over his chest, over his entire body. It’s a striking contrast, the crimson against his pale skin. There is a bit of sensuality there, in the way the blood rains down the fair planes of Kyungsoo’s thighs, drapes his shoulders, decorates his chest, paints his face.

 

For a second Yifan looks forward to their future. He anticipates Kyungsoo as a wolf, how they will hunt together, how they will bathe in blood lust as wild animals.

 

Kyungsoo stands before the wolf, soaked in blood, and a man lays dead behind him. The corpse has a very long and thin branch plunged into his throat. He is obviously dead. But Yifan is still baffled. His mate, the frail one, had done this?

 

“He was going t-to-to attack...from behind...I...I threw a stone and he ch-chased me...I found a broken branch…” the smaller man whispers, “it was sharp a-a-and he was running at me...I-I...I threw it and...and he fell on top of me.”

 

Kyungsoo is gathered in the wolf’s arms, he’s cradles very tenderly. Tears gather on their own as the memory plays repeatedly in his vision. Yellow eyes turning a shade darker, the fierce growl morphing into an agony filled scream, and the man clinging to Kyungsoo with his last breath.

 

Everything can be killed.

 

He’s never killed.

 

He’s never used a spear.

 

He’s never killed. Anything. Anyone.

 

“Do not mourn him, he would have killed you easily.” Yifan doesn’t mean for his words to come out so harsh. But they do. The small form in his arms flinches and a deep sigh leaves Yifan’s lips.

 

He tries again, “I am glad you are okay.” Kyungsoo’s body relaxes and Yifan takes it as a good sign. His mate is warm, probably because of the blood all over him, but there’s still a warm pleasantness from having the man in his arms again.

 

“Thank you.” comes the soft voice. His little mate sounds tired beyond belief.

 

“If you are thanking me for coming to get you, don’t be.” Yifan clicks his tongue. Again, Kyungsoo tenses at the harsh tone. Yifan internally scolds himself.

 

“I was glad to find you, I was worried.” he tilts his head down till his lips can graze the shell of his mate’s ear. When the small body relaxes again, the wolf lifts and hooks his arm under the weak knees. Kyungsoo wraps his arms around the strong shoulders and leans against the broad chest easily. Before he had been eager to be away from this man, to twist and turn till he was released.

 

It feels right. Leaning into Yifan’s chest, his ear pressed against the heated skin, feels like a warm hide protecting him from the elements.

 

The wolf strolls through the forest easily. He knows the way home. He knows where to take them so they can avoid danger. He knows that all will be well now that he has his mate in his arms. Kyungsoo stays quiet on the way back. Except for when a gentle melody hums through his lips. Other than that only the animals in the trees speak to them. It is peaceful. It is sweet.

 

Even when Yifan flinches from the scrapes across his back, Kyungsoo stays silent. He does give the wolf concerned looks, but keeps his words to himself. He feels it is not the moment yet for them to talk. And talk they must, about many things.

 

Because almost dying, being almost claimed by another, almost being separated eternally had helped put things in perspective for both of them.

 

Yifan had many regrets swarming his mind. The past was haunting him, and he urgently wanted to fix what had been broken.

 

Kyungsoo was thankful that he had an ally in his forest, that there was someone there to protect him. The way the wolf had come to his rescue had been valiant, and once again he had hope for what could be.

 

They would make this life work, couldn’t they?

 

The sun was still high in the sky when they reached the mountain side. Kyungsoo was never so delighted to see the cave opening above.

 

“Before we go back, I must ask you something, little mate.” Yifan is the first to speak. The man in his arms looks at him solemnly, “I chose you because you were brave in the face of death. You were determined. Your spirit was strong. I wanted your strong spirit beside me.”

 

The words surprise the induk. He blinks rapidly as the words process.

 

“I am deeply sorry for trying to control that spirit, for breaking it. I will never do so again.”

 

Warmth washes over his gut. There’s a sharp pain at the back of his throat. Kyungsoo feels more tears forming in his eyes.

 

“Please don’t leave me again,” the beast looks so vulnerable, so fragile as he asks this of the man in his arms. He is genuinely asking, pleading, “I will do my best to be good to you from now on. I will never make it so you wish to run from me. Please, do not run away again. I will be good to you. I will cherish you in every way. Please?”

 

The decision is for Kyungsoo to make, the induk realizes after a moment of silence. Yifan is asking this one thing of Kyungsoo.

 

He hesitates before challenging with, “And if I say no? What if I still want to leave. Right now.”

 

Misery. That is what fills Yifan’s eyes. Right now. Those two words seem to be making the beast crumble from the inside. Again Kyungsoo is surprised. What happened to the wolf who snarled in his face, who shoved the him around and kept him prisoner in the cave?

 

“I will return you.” Yifan’s voice cracks.

 

“They will abandon me again.” Kyungsoo counters.

 

“They will learn to respect you, you who is now wolf and survived the monster wolf in the mountain. They will fear and respect you.” the wolf says with confidence. Kyungsoo will be a beautiful wolf, midnight black coat and clear blue eyes. The moon tribe will have no choice but follow the strongest one of them, Kyungsoo.

 

“And you? You will not come looking for me? You will accept that I leave and that I never bear your children?” Kyungsoo spits bitterly.

 

“I want more than children.” Yifan urges.

 

“Really?” Kyungsoo’s tone is dry.

 

“We have much to talk about.” Yifan sighs.

 

Kyungsoo glares up at the towering mountain before them. The decision is his to make. But he does not know if he can trust the wolf yet. Words are empty things, no fulfillment has been found. He remembers the warm moments in the forest a few minutes ago. It was sweet, it was pleasant to be treated in such a kind manner.

 

He remembers their first meeting. The look in the wolf’s eyes then had been honest, it had made Kyungsoo trust him. He had given something so intimate to the wolf with hope and trust in mind. The wolf had made false promises.

 

He also remembers crying himself to sleep in the cold cave, being threatened, and being hurt.

 

He clearly remembers being told that he was to produce children in order to have shelter and food.

 

“How long till I turn?” he asks.

 

Yifan’s brow scrunches, “Fourteen days, why?”

 

Kyungsoo nods to himself as confidence blooms in his chest, “Then I will make my decision then. Fourteen days. Cherish me. Make me want to stay beside you.”

 

The wolf had come for him. He’d fought for him, and without hesitation. It had to mean something, there had to be more here. Yifan had used the same word the jaguar had, cherish, which was something the induk had wanted in the first place.

Maybe now, after this event, their relationship had been put into perspective for the wolf. Maybe now he could see how Kyungsoo was not just a machine to give Yifan offspring. Maybe now the wolf was really going to treat Kyungsoo as a mate should be treated.

 

The wolf smirks a tiny bit.

 

Yifan remembers their first interaction. His little mate had been so fierce and so determined. It was good to see that spirit again.

 

Yifan nods. He was going to earn Kyungsoo’s affection, his love, his desire. He would gain Kyungsoo’s spirit.


Then eternity wouldn’t be so maddening. No. Eternity would be blissful.


Fourteen days, can it happen?

Thank you for reading and supporting!

 

Much love doves,

 

 

Porter