Thinking

Everything Can Be Loved

Pay attention to the story told in this chapter!

Hope you enjoy!


Everything is alive, everything can be defeated.

 

That was the old lesson of his life, what had been told to him every day of his life.

 

Everything is alive, everything can be loved.

 

These were the words from the lead caregiver. These are the words that all of induk live by.

 

Luna had a round belly she rubbed constantly, she was pregnant with her third child. She was a kind gentle natured woman who could put any child to sleep and sang like an angel.

 

“I know what it is like to be a prodigy of another kind.” had been her first words to him when he’d entered her hut. Several children were asleep in a corner as she’d just put them down for a nap. Luna was of the Parkpencari clan. She was Chanyeol’s cousin, and meant to be an amazing hunter. And at first the village thought she showed promise because she could lure in a fawn so easily. But really it had been her motherly instinct.

 

Luna understood Kyungsoo, she understood what it meant to be born from a long line of perfect hunters who all excelled at their craft. And then to be born as the outcast, the one who was different and failed the clan. The only difference was that her clan was much more…accepting of her different gift. Plus she’d mated smart, her husband was a great warrior from a clan that was well praised by many.

 

“Don’t worry my new induk, I’m sure once you find a mate you will give birth to a child and then many children and then you will continue to love and care for the moon tribe’s young.”

 

Kyungsoo can only smile and nod at her words. She makes him a pot of tea and makes sure he’s seated comfortably around a batch of goose feather stuffed pillows. Kyungsoo helps her when a baby wakes up, he helps nurse the baby boy and watches with a smile as the child closes his eyes in Kyungsoo’s arms.

 

And when it’s finally them alone again Luna grins at him.

 

“So do you have a young man in mind? A warrior or hunter perhaps who has caught your eye?”

 

Kyungsoo blushes and shakes his head. There is no one he has thought of in such a way.

 

“You’ve never been with anyone Kyungsoo? Not intimately or anything of the like?”

 

Again he shakes his head and feels the need to cross his legs. He’s never even kissed anyone.

 

“So you’re definitely a then? How interesting.” she laughs. Her eyes seem to twinkle around the edges. “Do you remember the words of the induk?”

 

Kyungsoo takes a deep breath and lets words that make complete sense to him roll of his tongue. It’s so natural, it’s his first instinct.

 

“Everything is alive.” he says proudly, “Everything can be loved.”

 


 

Luna’s hut is rather large, it’s circular and very cozy. Many windows were cut out on the roof to let natural sunlight filter in. Goose feather stuffed pillows cover the walls and she has piled 20 or so large animal hides along the floor. It is terribly comfortable, one could easily fall asleep amongst the fur and warmth.

 

Kyungsoo packs his belongings in his home and moves out, it is tradition that a training child live with the leader of their trade for a small amount of time to learn everything there is to learn. Kyungsoo is a bit late on training, but better late than never.

 

When he arrives with his things he finds Luna cooking a batch of stew on her own, a few children running around her hut with laughs and screaming.

 

“Why not get a koki to do this for you?” is his first question. He seats himself next to her.

 

Luna smiles, “Because Kyungsoo, a mother must be able to cook for her child. If the pencari fail and cannot bring an animal back, who shall feed the young?”

 

Kyungsoo nods because that makes sense.

 

He assists her in getting the children to sit down. Two of them are Luna’s, a boy and a girl. Their father is Jinki of the Leeprajurit clan, a respected warrior. Unlike Kyungsoo’s family, every single Leeprajurit has risen to the occasion and become excellent warriors. They are second to the Doprajurit, and the families are in good favor. His children are good looking, with Luna’s kind eyes and Jinki’s infectious smile. When they were playing Kyungsoo spotted them, how unabashed they were in pushing the other children out of their way, at tackling one another in a fake fight. Definitely Jinki’s children.

 

They serve the children stew, helping the younger ones clean their faces and cool down the hot beef and vegetables. Kyungsoo has a dukun child in his lap who seems to know just how stressed the new induk is, and presses a sweet kiss to his temple. A true dukun indeed.

 

Its story time after that, and Luna does a fantastic job of singing and showing carvings and art pieces the tukang created for her. She speaks of the moon goddess and the sun god who were once lovers, but who became enemies in a love affair. And she also tells the story of how the moon tribe came to be, how their ancestors crossed Hui Sungai and made a promise to Rakasa Serigala. With a clap of her hands she has all of the little boys’ and girls’ attention and begins to tell her story.

 

“The moon was high in the sky when the first members of the rebellious sun tribe crossed the Hiu Sungai. Rapid cold waters left them shivering on dry land, their bare clothes did little to protect them from the cold night.” Luna trembled in her seat, and all of the moon tribe children watched her in anticipation.

 

“A howl in the distance made them shiver in fear, the sound was near and loud.” she whispered. And Kyungsoo hears the little girl seated next to him gasp.

 

“We must continue on. We must find safety for our people.’ the eldest grunted and stood up. His crown of eagle feathers seemed to sparkle in the moonlight. The other rebel sun tribe members all nodded in agreement, they must continue on. They no longer agreed with the ways of the sun village, with their harsh punishments and cruel tyranny. They wished for a free life and security past the shark river.”

 

Every eye is on the lead induk, their ears listening and their imaginations open wide. Kyungsoo is in awe of how talented Luna is, the way she is animated and able to hold their attention.

 

“The forest was dense, the trees were tall and the moonlight was silver strings shining through the canopy. It was a magical place, one that felt very much alive. Dawn was almost upon them when they reached the mountain. It was the landmark signifying the end of the valley, and beyond it was unknown. It scared the rebel sun people, to not know or understand what was beyond the massive rock.” and then Luna gasped, her hand to her heart and made all of the children hold their breaths.

 

“Another howl was heard again, so close, so frightening.” Kyungsoo held his laughter as the induk howled out loud, “Should they run? Should they hide? A twig broke behind them, trees rustled and the ground shook.”

 

Rakasa Serigala is whispered in the little crowd, a mix of fear and amazement in each child’s eyes.

 

“The beast approached them. It was as big as a bear, as white as snow, eyes like water and teeth like knives. Only whispers had been told of the monster that protected its mountain and its land. ‘Rakasa Serigala!’ the eldest gasped, falling to his knees and bowing to the floor. The monster wolf looked upon them, eyes cold and jaw snapping. A mean snarl ripped from the animals’ jaws and sent the tribe members into a silent panic. All of them bowed down, faces to the forest floor and terror marching in their hearts.”

 

And then Luna leans forward, voice going as deep as possible as she fake growls,

 

“If you make a coven with me, you may live in the valley in peace. Make a coven with me, and you will have my protection.”

 

“Do it do it!” one child cries, and makes Kyungsoo smile at how endearing he is. Of course the elders already made the coven, how else would the moon tribe live in the valley?

 

“The eldest did not raise his head, nor did the others for fear of meeting the beast’s eyes and making it angry. ‘What is it you require, Rakasa Serigala?’ the eldest asked with hope.”

 

Once again Luna made a growling voice to imitate the monster wolf, “Suci kado.’ the beast answered.”

 

A wild applause is given for the great story telling.

 

“Who remembers what suci kado is?” Luna asks, little hands shoot up into the air to answer the question and Kyungsoo is amazed at their eagerness.

 

Suci kado is the perfect gift, the sacrifice.” a small boy in the front is selected. And with that answer the lead induk starts a small lecture on suci kado and the moon tribe’s tradition. She tells them how a pure gift is selected, how they should all work hard to become strong members of the village, but should also not fret if they are selected as the sacrifice.

 

“To be chosen is an honor,” She smiles, “It is a great honor to protect your family and your people.”

 

Finally in the afternoon the children are picked up by their parents. Kyungsoo is kneeling and hugging one chubby tukang girl goodbye when in walks her older brother.

 

“Get your filthy hands off my sister!” Baekhyun hisses, hands removing Kyungsoo’s arms and grabbing the little girl who looks bewildered. All the induk can hear is her sharp cry as she staggers back.

 

Kyungsoo almost runs forward to make sure the child is okay, but halts when he sees the look in Baekhyun’s eyes. It is hatred.

 

“My apologies.” Kyungsoo bows his head.

 

Baekhyun kneels in front of his sister, holds her face in his hands and speaks in a low serious tone, “Minah, do not talk to that man. Do you want to become a failure like him? Do you?”

 

Her wet eyes and pouty lips make Kyungsoo wish to hold her as she sniffles and shakes her head. Baekhyun scoops her up and immediately leaves. No further words are necessary, the message is clear. Kyungsoo is not to look at or talk to the Byuntukang child again.

 


 

It only takes a few days, Kyungsoo learns the way of an induk fast. It comes naturally to him.

 

He learns what a baby needs, how to feed them properly and how to clean them. He learns how to calm a crying child down, how to cook and keep a hut clean, he learns how children generally act as they grow older. And it only takes a few days for Luna to trust Kyungsoo completely.

 

Luna has her children act crazy and wild so Kyungsoo can practice patience and methods of keeping them calm for the right times. Within a few weeks Kyungsoo knows all there is to know, understands everything, and in Luna’s eyes he is full induk. She trusts him so much she leaves him with her children whenever she has to run out for business.

 

“Junho!” Kyungsoo yells as the little boy tumbles into a pile of blankets and pillows. Kyungsoo laughs and runs over, picking the boy up who fights and wiggles to try and escape.

 

“Attack the giant! I call for assistance!” Junho laughs. A warrior cry makes Kyungsoo freeze, he knows what comes next. If you mess with one of the Leeprajurit siblings, the other one takes you down.

 

Hyeri tackles Kyungsoo’s legs with a growl, and although she’s small she is very fast. The three of them fall down onto soft pillows and laugh. Kyungsoo is down for the count, Junho and Hyeri tackle each other instead, and it’s not until Hyeri has her brother on the ground with her foot jammed into his back, do they finally calm down.

 

“Mother!” Junho quickly jumps up and lets his sister fall down, he runs toward the pregnant Luna with open arms. The lead induk had gone out for a bit, collecting berries and trading some of her jewels for bread from a koki.

 

“My little tigers, did you enjoy your time with Kyungsoo?” she slowly sits down, hand on her back to support her weight, and lets Junho sit in her lap. They are ferocious tigers and will be great warriors, but they become kittens when their mother is around. Hyeri leans on her mother’s arm and almost looks like she is going to purr.

 

“Yes,” Hyeri chirps, “He doesn’t tire easily like you. He’s not that strong but he runs rather well.”

 

Kyungsoo can only laugh at the young girl’s compliments. She speaks with so much maturity.

 

They help Luna smash the berries she has collected and spread it on the loaf she bought. It makes a sweet snack that re-energizes the siblings. They’re back up in no time, chasing and wrestling each other.

 

“I hope to have a child someday.” Kyungsoo hums to himself. To give life, to care for a baby so beautiful and apart of him. It was a repressed wish of his, something he thought he’d never have. But now he is induk, and the possibility of him being able to give birth to a child is greater than ever. Only induk have the ability, no matter the gender. Kyungsoo’s dream of a child might come true. That thought warms his heart.

 

“I’m sure your time will come.” Luna rubs her belly and smiles.

 


 

Hyeri runs into Chanyeol’s arms, the giant crouches down to pick her up and smiles with glee.

 

Kyungsoo frowns, “What are you doing back so soon?”

 

He was sure the Parkpencari were supposed to be gone for three days. They’d gone on a trip to Mati Dolok to hunt elk and deer. But Chanyeol was here a day too soon.

 

The man shrugs and hugs Kyungsoo, ruffling his black hair in the process. The induk wines in protest and then laughs when long fingers jab his side on purpose.

 

Luna is out again, helping a new mother take care of her newborn. Kyungsoo watches and admires how Chanyeol plays with the warrior siblings. He is as fast as them, able to play rough and they love to sit on his shoulders. Hyeri takes off running in circles with Junho chasing her, and their uncle approaches Kyungsoo with a wide smile.

 

“For you.” Chanyeol offers a bag that is slightly dripping with blood.

 

“Again? Thank you.” Kyungsoo smiles and takes the bag. He sets it in a large wooden bowl so it does not bleed onto Luna’s hides. It is wild buffalo, Kyungsoo’s absolute favorite.

 

“I wrestled it down, took me only a few minutes.” Chanyeol gloats and his chest swells with pride. Kyungsoo laughs at his friend. Ever since the new induk had started to stay at Luna’s, Chanyeol had made frequent trips to the mountain to hunt down wild buffalo.

 

“Did you save any for yourself this time?” Kyungsoo asks. The hunter shakes his head, holding out another bag he had strapped over his back. Kyungsoo stares and is a little in awe. The horns from the buffalo are sticking out, elongated and curled at the ends. But when Chanyeol pulls the hide out fully, he can see orange and black strips instead. It takes him a few seconds to process, but he can hear Chanyeol speaking.

 

“I tracked down a tiger for you as well. I know you think tiger fur is beautiful, so I made a coat for you out of the fur and added the buffalo horns to the top. I gave the meat to my family, figured they’d enjoy that more than you. It wasn’t very hard to make.”

 

The coat is gorgeous. Buffalo hide is sewn into the gaps between the tiger’s legs to keep the coat whole, and thin yarn is meant to tie the cloth together. And at the hood lays the animal’s face, sharp teeth still intact and eyes set in a fierce growl. Just as Chanyeol had said, the buffalo’s horns had been added to the head, a tiger with long pointy horns.

 

“You made this for me?” he barely gets those words out, his voice is hushed and his heart is skipping beats.

 

“You like it?” the hunter is blushing, and Kyungsoo is blushing himself.

 

Chanyeol has been his closest companion for quite some time, and he’s given gifts before, but somehow this one feels different.

 

“I love it. Adore it. Thank you so much.” the induk smiles and drapes his new coat over his back. Chanyeol nods in approval and then runs off to play with the Leeprajurit children.

 

Kyungsoo is able to cook a rabbit stew in peace since the children are distracted. He prepares the lunch with fruits and milk, when it’s time to be served Chanyeol carries the youngsters over to the caregiver and makes sure they’re seated.

 

Something warm comes over Kyungsoo as he watches his best friend help the children eat and laughs with them, as he smiles at Kyungsoo and slurps his soup.

 

Junho leans onto Kyungsoo after the meal with drooping eyes, and Hyeri wanders outside with intent to pick flowers. The induk easily holds Junho in his arms and pats his back just the way Luna had showed him, gently humming a tune. He can feel Chanyeol’s gaze on him.

 

“You’re really induk huh?” Chanyeol chuckles. Junho is down for a nap and placed on a bear fur. Hyeri has returned and is busy trying to braid her own hair.

 

Kyungsoo’s cheeks turn hot and he nods quietly. He ushers the prajurit girl over and begins to braid it for her, weaving in flowers she picked as he goes. Chanyeol seems to scoot closer to him, eyes not leaving the caregiver for a second. Yes something was different this time, the gift meant something different, something deeper.

 

“Does that mean you want children?” the hunter asks. Kyungsoo nods enthusiastically. He does want children, very much so.

 

“How many?” Chanyeol is definitely closer, his warm arm is resting against Kyungsoo’s.

 

“I think three...maybe four.” Kyungsoo muses. He pictures little babies with cute cheeks. Maybe they will have smiles like Junho’s, or wide bright eyes like Hyeri. Maybe they will be gentle like Kyungsoo and become induk.

 

“Three is a good number.” Chanyeol agrees. He is still staring, watching, and Kyungsoo can feel heat rise to his ears. Hyeri’s braid is coming out well, pink and yellow flowers sprouting from her hair.

 

“I’ve been thinking a lot. Ever since Chief proclaimed you as induk.” Chanyeol is leaning closer, his voice is softening and Kyungsoo can’t stop his heart rate from speeding up. The pair had stuck close as friends for a long time. But something had changed after the meeting with Chief. Something about the way Chanyeol acted around Kyungsoo. How he often hunted down wild buffalo specifically for the training induk. How he leaned in a lot closer now when they talked.

 

Kyungsoo almost loses his nerve when the hunter leans in, lips whispering in a deep bass that vibrates into Kyungsoo’s bones.

 

“I want you to have my children.”

 

His lungs are struggling. His vision is crystal clear. Everything feels a little too warm and surreal.

 

“Do you want to bear my children Kyungsoo?”

 

He gnaws on his bottom lip. Chanyeol is his best friend, his protector. Ever since he had shown signs of not grasping the ways of the prajurit, Chanyeol had been there to shield him from harm. He’d taken on trying to train Kyungsoo and ignored the judgmental stares. Chanyeol had always been there for Kyungsoo.

 

But Chanyeol was born from a noble family, the Parkpencari were the best hunters in the moon tribe. Would Chanyeol’s reputation be dragged down because he mated with a failed prajurit turned late induk? Even if Kyungsoo was born a Doprajurit, the clan did not act as if he were their own. For the most part his clan ignored him. Would his failed state affect the great Parkpencari’s son, Chanyeol?

 

The coat weighs heavy in his mind now. Yes the tiger and buffalo coat meant something. Not every hunter took the time to track down two large beasts and sew the hides together as a magnificent coat like that.

Suddenly he is picturing a baby boy with a wide smile like Chanyeol’s, with wild red hair that flies away in the wind, with an excited laugh and large ears. The image warms his heart.

Hyeri’s hair is finished. The caregiver pats her back and quickly sends her off to find more flowers so he can make her a crown. When she’s gone, Kyungsoo turns and faces Chanyeol with an erratically beating heart.

 

“I cannot be sure as of right now.” he speaks carefully, doubt filling his mind about worthiness. His heart stutters as he watches how Chanyeol’s eyes downcast themselves for a moment, “But I will think about it.” he adds on quickly.

 

A huge smile rips across Chanyeol’s lips and the hunter seems jittery, “You would consider me as your mate?”

 

Kyungsoo smiles back, “Yes. I will consider you.”

 

Chanyeol grins, and gently brings his hand up to caress Kyungsoo’s cheek.

 

“Good.” the hunter sighs with relief.


Luna strolls in a moment later, humming and carrying a basket of fruit and bread. Chanyeol clumsily jumps up to help her and Kyungsoo runs outside to see if Hyeri is on her way back. And to cover his face in both excitement and embarrassment.


I hope you guys enjoyed that, and remember if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer!

 

Much love doves,

 

Porter