Chapter 6: Mini Cake

Got Love?

Mark’s POV

After talking to Jinyoung this afternoon, the stabbing pain in my chest vanished. While riding my bike going home, I couldn’t stop from smiling. The fact that I made two friends in just one day makes me so proud. I arrived at home and my mom approached me while I’m sitting at our living room.

“My baby. How’s school?” she exclaimed while holding my cheeks and kissing both sides.

“School is fine mom. I made friends” I said.

She let go of me and a shocked face was plastered on her face.

“Mom? Are you okay?” I asked wondering what’s wrong with her.

She shakes her head and looked at me.

“ I’m fine dear. It’s just that..I..You…I don’t know what to say.” She stuttered.

“Mom, I can’t understand you.” I said.

“I’m proud of you.” She said with tears forming in her eyes.

“Mom, what is happening to you?” I’m starting to worry now.

“I’m fine. I’m just proud of you.” She said, now tears falling on her cheeks.

“Proud of what mom?”

“You made friends! I’m proud that you made friends.” She exclaimed while wiping her tears away.

“Really? Thanks mom.” I said while standing up and bowing to my mom.

“Let’s celebrate. I’m going to cook Honey Roasted Chicken and order a Mini Red Velvet Cake just for us 3.” She beamed with joy.

“Mom. No need to celebrate.” I chuckled.

“Son, this is also a celebration of your first day.” She said.

“Now , go change your clothes and I’m sending you to order the mini cake at the downtown. “ She said.

I nodded my head and went to my room.

I opened my cabinet and wore a black sweatshirt and knee shorts. I checked myself in the mirror and I looked just normal. I smiled a little and went downstairs. I went to the kitchen and saw my mom marinating the chicken.

“Oh, Mark dear. Could you taste the sauce?” She said while pointing at bowl at the table.

I took a spoon and dip a little and got a small amount of sauce.

I pressed the tip of my tongue on the spoon and there was something with the taste.

“Mom. Is this the Honey- spiced sauce?” I asked.

“Yes dear.” She said still marinating the chicken.

“Could you add a little bit of pepper and few drops of lime? It would bring out the subtleness of the taste of the honey, mom.” I said.

She looked at me and does what I said.

“Well, you’re such a genius when it comes to cooking.” She complimented me.

“You haven’t tasted it yet. We will know that during dinner.” I said.

“Okay, Mr. Cooking master. Now, go to downtown and order the mini cake.”

“Sure. Bye mom.” I was about to go out the kitchen when mom said.

“By the way, where is your brother?” she said in a different tone.

“He’s on a date.” I said.

“Date?” My mom raised her intonation.

“bye mom!” I said while running out of the house and took my bike.

I was busy biking when my phone rang. I looked who the caller I.D was and it was mom. I decided not to answer because she might just scold me from running while she was talking. I arrived downtown and some stores are already closed. I stopped in front the Mr. Cooker One Stop. The store looks modernized and there were a big section in the center where the workers cook. The store contains a lot of food, fresh, raw, cooked ingredients. There was also a live cooking section.  I walked closer to the person cooking alone. He looks young and tall for his age. His light brown hair was smoothly swept back with a hairnet. He was wearing an apron and plastic gloves on his left hand. He was cooking something using oysters. I wanted to talk to him and asked if they have any mini cakes here.  I walked closer and he started talking without even looking at me.

“Ya. What are you doing here? You know the store is already close.” He said in a rough voice.

“Um, I sorry I didn’t know. The door was open.” I said.

“What do you want?” He said now looking at me with his sharp eyes.

I’m really scared right now. I wanted to run but I can’t show I’m afraid.

“Do you have any mini cakes here?” I asked.

He took a knife and cut the oysters very fast and put it in a bowl.

He walked closer to me and said.

“Eat this. I’m going to bake your mini cake.” He gave me the bowl with oysters.

“Thanks. Wouldn’t it take time to make a cake?” I said while taking the bowl of oysters.

“Give me thirty minutes. What flavor do you want me to make?” he asked.

“Anything would do. But my mom prefers Red Velvet.” I said with excitement. I feel comfortable talking to him.

“Sure. You eat that and I’ll be back.” He entered the kitchen.

I looked at the bowl of oysters and the oysters were just floating in water. I smelled the aroma of the oysters and it smells different.

I took a sip of the bowl of oysters’ soup. And the taste was amazing. The sourness and sweetness overflows in my mouth. He’s really good balancing the taste without letting the oysters’ saltiness take over the taste. I ate one oyster and every chew I make I could feel the saltiness of oyster mixed with the aftertaste of the soup. Amazing.

“Amazing!” I said emptying the bowl of oysters.

“You really think so? It’s just a simple dish.” He said behind me.

I looked back and saw him standing there with flour all over his apron and a little bit on his face.

“This bowl of oysters, is no doubt amazing.” I complimented him.

“Thanks. By the way the cake is on the oven now” He said while bowing down.

He sat down in front of me and took off his hairnet. His hair swayed right in front of his eyes. He has bangs that almost cover his eyes. He smiled and he really does look young.

“I’m Kim Yu Gyeom, the part- owner of this store. I cook here during summer and sometimes after classes.” He said with a smile.

“I’m Mark Tuan, thanks for giving effort for making the cake.” I said.

“No problem. A customer is a customer.” He said with  a grin.

Then suddenly the oven beeped.

“The cake’s done. I’m going to get it and wrap it up and close this store.” He said.

He went back to the kitchen and went out for few minutes and gave me the cake wrapped in a Pink Pastel Colored box.

“Here you go.” He gave me the cake.

“How much?” I asked.

“No need to pay. I’ll give you that as a gift for talking with me and eating my food.” He said with a little blush.

“Oh..that’s not fair. I’m going to pay okay.” I said. I grabbed my pocket and patted all my pockets.

I forgot my wallet? This is embarrassing.

“Uh..I forgot my wallet.” I giggled a little.

He laughed and patted my head.

“Come on. I said you don’t need to pay.”

I laughed with him and said

“Thanks. I’ll make it up to you someday and treat you some food.”

“Sure. I’ll wait for that.” He said.

“Okay. I should go now.” I waved goodbye and he waved back.

I took my bike and went back home safely. I saw at the frontyard the bike of Jack and assumed that he is already home. 

I went inside and Mom and Jack were arguing.

"Mom, I like Min Ji but she's not my girlfriend and it's not a date. We hang out." Jack explained to mom. 

Mom sighed and said

"Okay, whatever. Know the person first before commiting into a relationship." she said.

I wanted to laughed at how cute my mom and brother argues but instead I greeted them.

"Hey people in the house." I said.

They looked at me weirdly and my brother started laughing.

"Hahah, not cool bro. Let's go eat, I'm starving." he said.

I nodded my head and proceed to our dining area. Mom, placed the roasted chicken on the table and also placed the cake Yugyeom made. He made a red velvet cake but the bottom has slight greenish color. I wondered what did he do to make an awesome cake. We prayed then started eating.

"Uwaaa. The sauce of the chicken is delicious." Jack exclaimed.

"You're brother did the flavors." Mom said proudly.

"Delicious bro." he said while stuffing his mouth again with chicken. 

After eating we ate the cake and the cake was delicious. The greenish part of the cake was lime and it balances the flavor of sweetness. Yu Gyeom is awesome.

"I like this red velvet cake son. It has some twist on it." mom said.

"I know right. I bought it.. actually it was free from Mr. Cooker One Stop." 

"Free?" My mom astonished.

Jack stand up and took half of the cake and brought it upstairs. Jack is such a fan of sweets.

"Yep, it's free. Let's say I got lucky." I said with a smile. 

After eating we cleaned the table and washed the dishes without Jack again because he doesn't do chores much. He always watch anime upstairs and I also like it but not like him. After finishing tidying, I kissed mom on her cheek and went upstairs.

I opened our room and saw Jack eating the cake while watching anime. 

"hey." he said.

I looked at him "What you watchin'" I asked.

"One Punch Man" he said with excitement pausing what he's watching.

"Oh, that baldhead guy" I said.

He looked at me furiously "Don't be so mean to Saitama!" he said like an immature kid.

"Fine. Whatever Jack." I said and lied down on my bed. 

I opened my phone and texted the number from the Got Love Club

I'll save President Junior as the name in my phone. Whoever this Junior is, he might be a nice guy.

                                                   President Junior

                                                                        Hi, This is Mark Tuan. I'm joining the Got Love                                                                           Club. Mr. Jaebum told me to text you to asked                                                                         for details and confirmations.

                                                                                                        Sent: 07/ 12/ 2016 - 8:45 pm

Welcome to the club! I'm glad you could  join. I've been waiting for someone like you. See you tomorrow at ground floor on the Got Love Room. :) 

President Junior: 07/ 12/ 2016- 8: 50

  Thank you! It's an honor. See you tomorrow President Junior. Goodnight. 

Goodnight <3

9:00

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I wondered why did he reply with a heart. Maybe it's just wrong typo. I put down my phone and closed my eyes.

JINYOUNG's POV

He's joining the Got Love Club and he's texting me right now. He doesn't even know it's me Jinyoung. I'm gonna see him tomorrow and I'm super excited. I named him on my phone : Mark <3

                                                                            Mark <3

 Hi, This is Mark Tuan. I'm joining the Got Love Club. Mr. Jaebum told me to text you to asked        for details and confirmations.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Update. Update. Update. heheheh. Thanks for waiting and I love you guyasss. <3

Mark and Junior are texting..lolss..spread the love

- eoeoorange