There he sat

Coffee shop

Seunghyun once again entered the quaint cafe at the corner of the street. It's a place where he truly find peace and he goes there almost daily after work. In the cafe, a cozy quiet corner, a small window gazing out onto the street, a cup of americano, a novel by his favorite author, those things eases his work exhuasted mind. A place of reprieve.

However, when he entered, he saw that his usual seat had been taken. The cafe was small, had few tables and all of them taken, unfortunately. He wanted his table but obviously he couldn't ask another patron to give up the table just because of his selfishness.

The idea of sharing a table appalled him but as it stands, he didn't have a choice. As he approached the table, the male occupying it looked up at him. His face spoke of confusion and …stupidity?

Seunghyun thought of leaving the cafe but something about the stranger caught his eye. He was reading a book by his favorite author, the latest book no less. He had not the time to go around to finish the current book he was reading. He surrendered internally.

'Excuse me, is the seat taken?' Seunghyun asked, pointing to an empty chair. The man flashed him a smile, one which made his small eyes crinkle into crescents.

'Nope! Please do have a seat.'

Seunghyun was taken aback by the stranger's smile and friendly demeanor. In contrast to his first impression of the stranger, his smile spoke of warmth and sincerity.

'The one thing that this place lack, I think he has it. Warmth.' Seunghyun thought. So he sat on the empty chair, ordered his usual americano and took out his book to read.

He could, for some time already, feel eyes on him. He looked up and saw the stranger looking at him oddly. It reminded him of some of the facial expressions from people he saw when he was at the art museum, as if trying to understand what is in front of them.

'Is there something on my face?' He asked the age-old conversation starter.

'N-no.' The stranger was surprised at being caught staring. 'I just noticed that you are reading a book by the same author as the book I am reading.' He pointed to his own book. 'It's nothing, really. Just my curiosity getting the better of me. I swear, I'm not trying to creep you out.'

He was now looking somewhere in between scared and worried. Seunghyun smiled, trying to reassure the flustered male.

'It's fine. I had thought about the same thing earlier on. Actually, I usually sit at this table and read his books. I really like his books.' He felt out of character to be talking so much to a complete stranger, given his anti-social personality. 'It kind of made me wonder if this is some sort of coincidence.'

'Oh…' The other male gave a shy smile. 'Do you come here often?'

'I'm always here after work. Do you come here often?'

'Ah… No, I just found this place today. I'm glad I did. I just moved here recently and I don't know anyone in this area. I'm not even sure if I'll stay permanently but I'm glad I met you!' His face brightened up in happiness.

Seunghyun couldn't keep his eyes off the male, his face was so expressive as he talked and he found it very interesting to watch. He felt compelled to befriend the stranger, he found his warm personality appealing.

'So, how's the book?' Curiosity had taken hold of Seunghyun. He had been wanting to ask sbout this for a while now. 'Is it any good? I was going to buy it after I finish my current read.'

'I believe it's as good as the previous ones but I'm biased.' The other's expression became thoughtful. 'Would you like to borrow it? I think I can finish it by tomorrow. I'll come by here tomorrow.'

'Really? You would do that? Even though we have just met?'

'Yep! I already said that I'm glad to have met you. It will be nice to discuss about the book with someone.' Then he said in a softer tone with a small smile playing on his lips, 'I would like to talk to you again.'

'Yea, me too.'

 

 


 

Oh my goodness. So cheesy.... I'm gonna bury my head somewhere…