Getting To Know You

One Day

He had no clue where the hell he was.

 

Its was as if all the hallways had morphed into a large taunting maze with him trapped inside. Taking his phone out he winced at the timetable glaring through the screen. There was only 10 minutes left for for him to find his lecture class. A heavy sigh left his lips, he finally admitted to himself that he really was getting nowhere at this point, the poster advertising an exhibition from the art department mocked him after passing by it for the 5th time in a row.

Dongwoon had been anxious all day. Thankfully he knew a couple of people who were attending the same uni as him however majority of them were all in classes right now, which is exactly where he should be. Brushing his chestnut hair back in distress, Dongwoon frowned once more as he tried to relocate the room on the unis website.

Faint music played from down the hall catching his attention immediately, like a moth to a flame he followed the music passing by the closed doors and notices hanging among the walls. He reached his destination to find one of the door held open by a flimsy chair as a substitute for a door stop. Dongwoon debated for a while whether he should peak in or not until he remembering that he has a class to get to, tucking his phone back in his pocket Dongwoon peaked by the doorway to find another figure inside.

Then dongwoons words died in his throat. His eyes locked onto the dancer who was entranced in their own world, he was alone in the empty room fully concentrated with his own reflection in front of him. The grey tank top clung onto his sun kissed skin, he swallowed the lump in his throat as he watched a bead of sweat trail over the exposed collarbone. The dancers move was fluid and smooth like water not missing out a single beat with the music.

He was just simply...alluring to watch. Dongwoon mentally slapped himself, his priority right now was to find his way to his class not drool over the mysterious dancer. He stepped forward into the room his arm reaching out to knock on the door when his eyes happened to meet the other through the mirror. For a split second he thought time itself had stopped – until the dancer caught himself off guard missing a step as he harshly landed on his . Without thinking Dongwoon dropped his bag rushing over to the others aid.

“a-are you okay? I'm sorry for startling you.” He quickly looked over him making sure that he wasn't hurt anywhere, Dongwoon helped him up to his feet ignoring the spark he felt when his fingertips felt how warm the dancer was.

They were now both standing with Dongwoons arm secured around the other. It took him a second to realise the huge height difference between him and the stranger as they were now standing close.

“It's fine don't worry about it, um, did you need anything?” he offered a small smile “also could you-” his eyes gestured to the hands on his waist.

His face burnt up as Dongwoon immediately retracted his hands, “Sorry I forgot – um, I recently just transferred here and I was hoping if you could help me” taking his phone out of his back pocket Dongwoon showed his timetable pointing at one of the columns “I'm looking for this class room, but I got lost.”

he watched as the dancer looked unsure for a while until he nodded smiling again, almond eyes disappearing into crescent moons. “Sure, I can. Wait for me outside the entrance I'll quickly change and meet you there.”

“Thank you really! I'll be outside then.” retracing his steps back outside Dongwoon was relieved to be greeted by the open air, he could only hope that his face wasn't as flustered as it was five minutes ago. It didn't take long before the doors opened once again, instead of the grey tank top and black shorts he wore earlier the dancer was now dressed up in a casual clothing with a small black gym bag hanging on his right arm. Dongwoon rushed over to his side as he let the other lead the way.

“Room m13, that's in the west building what time does it start again?”

He took his phone out, “uh, 25 minutes ago.” Dongwoons shoulder slacked, walking in 25 minutes late in to class wasn't what he planned at all especially with all the unwanted attention he'll get for being late.

“oh, then you definitely don't want to head in there now. You mentioned before that you recently just transferred here right? How about I give you a tour around.”

“Really? But aren't you busy, I did interrupt you while you were practising after all.”

The dancer sheepishly smiled, his face was lightly tinted pink from remembering about earlier on. “I'm free the whole day, I just wanted to come in and practice since I had nothing going on today.”
Dongwoon tagged along side letting the other lead the way, “I just realised I haven't introduced myself yet, I'm Lee Kikwang, I'm 20, and I major in dance.”

“I'm Son Dongwoon, and I'm majority in film studies, is it okay if I can call you hyung?”

Kikwang grinned “Sure you can, I'll show you the library first since it's just across from here.”
 



Despite his day not going the way he wanted, Dongwoon found himself having more fun than he expected. Instead of being cooped in a crowded class room with the lecturer droning off for hours on end he was with kikwang touring him around and being with him made him feel at ease. He considered himself to be lucky to encounter someone like Kikwang, he didn't mind his awkwardness or even made him feel like a burden for helping him out when he could've been back in the dance room.

Kikwang was genuinely happy to be helping him out, he briefly told Dongwoon tips on surviving through assessment week, the best places to study alone and so on. After almost half an hour of touring around they took a detour to a nearby cafe just outside campus which Kikwang claimed to have the best macchiatos in town.

“Your friends call you son nam shin?” Kikwang snorted behind his mug “wow, aren't you very smug.”

“You can't blame me hyung, there's nothing that I can't do, as you can clearly see I'm the whole package.”

kikwang chuckled, “Whatever you say then, by the way will you be staying in one of the dorms?”

Dongwoon shook his head, “I still live with my parents at the moment since its roughly 30 mins away from here.” he poked at his half empty drink that was still warm.

“Ah, I see. If you don't mind me asking is there a reason why you picked film studies?”

“I've always been interested in all kinds of movies really especially when I was younger I used to use my dad's camera to film my own movies with my makeshift background and props.” He remembered how his dad eventually bought him his own professional camera when he turned 15 instead of using the old scratched digital camera.

Kikwang planted his elbows on the table leaning forward, “Really? Oh! Do you still make your own films for like your own personal project or anything?”

The sudden interest flushed his face pink, “I actually still do, I could show you some of them if you'd like to watch them.” Dongwoon was slightly taken back by how eager Kikwang looked.

“I'd love to watch them I'm sure that they're awesome.”

Dongwoon shyly smiled drinking the rest of his coffee, an electronic beeping noise from his watch alerted him of his next class of the day. He sat up straight startling Kikwang in front of him, “Sorry hyung I got to go to my next class soon.”

“it's at room b8 right?” Dongwoon nodded “I'll show you a shortcut to get there follow me.”

Without waiting for a response Kikwang stood up grabbing Dongwoon by the wrist. “Lets go!” the sudden action had Dongwoon almost knock over the mugs on the table, stealthily grabbing his bag next to him he tried his best to keep up with Kikwang's pace as they left the cafe. The refreshing air welcomed his skin again as he let himself be dragged away through the crowds. When Kikwang took a sharp left Dongwoon had almost stumbled with his own footing, the hand on his wrist slipped off before reaching for his hand.

Kikwang paid no attention to it completely occupied on getting Dongwoon to class in time on the other hand dongwoon wasn't too bothered about it too. It wasn't like them holding hands meant anything or whatever, but that didn't stop the thoughts piling up in his head on how their hands seemed to fit perfectly together or how invitingly warm Kikwangs hands was he honestly hoped that his hand didn't become sweaty.

 

Being so distracted by whether his hand was sweaty or not Dongwoon was taken back once he realised that his class was already in front of him with only 5 minutes to spare left. Kikwang had let his hand go (the warmth had already sunk deep making him miss the connection the already) Dongwoon thoroughly checked his appearance making sure nothing was out of place outside the door.

“At least we made it here on time, I'll see you around Dongwoon!” he smiled brightly before taking his leave, the grip on his bag strap fell as Dongwoon watched Kikwang head down the hall.


His first day wasn't that bad after all.



----


It wasn't until the fifth night while he was staring at the wall across him that he found out that he should've gotten Kikwangs number. Dongwoon often thought about returning back to the dance room where he first saw him but unforttunately within the last minute he backed out, even if he did go he wouldn't know what to say to him at all Dongwoon could already imagine himself being a big awkward lanky mess as he tried to initiate a simple conversation without mention about the weather.

While travelling around campus with a few friends Dongwoon did his best to keep an eye out for Kikwang hoping by chance that he'll spot him like a needle in a hay stack, yet there was still no luck. A soft snore slipped under his bedroom door bringing him back from his thoughts, the digital clock told him it was almost 4 in the morning. Dongwoon saved his work right before manoeuvring his laptop onto his desk.

He had no idea why he wanted to see kikwang so badly, there was something about him yet he just couldn't just put a finger on what it was. But for now he would just dismiss it for later on, shuffling into a comfortable position Dongwoon finally got his long awaited sleep.


----


It was odd how he found the smell of books to be comforting.

Yet he knew he wasn't the only one out there with the same thought. Dongwoon entered the library passing by the students scattered across the tables filled with notebooks and pens, his pacing slowed down as he walked through the different genres, eyes scanning over the cover of books for anything particular to stand out.

Skimming across the row of books he randomly picked up a short book by Haruki Murakami, flipping it over to read the blurb in back he caught something in his peripheral vision. At the end of the aisle he was in he spotted someone struggling to reach a book on the higher shelf, Dongwoon stifled his laughter at the stranger struggling especially when he was already on his toes. He made his way over effortlessly grabbing the book off the shelf before handing it over.

“Oh thank you” then he looked up “Dongwoon?”

“Kikwang hyung.” Kikwang offered his bright smile as Dongwoon bashfully smiled back. Hearing his name stained the tip of his ears pink. “How are you?”

“I'm fine, I've been meaning to talk to you but then I remembered that we haven't exchanged numbers. Other than that, hows everything been going for you?”

He straightened his back feeling more confident (and slightly relieved that Kikwang has been looking for him too) “Everything has been going good so far, I'm starting to get used to my new routine now.”

“that's good to hear, if you need any help you can always find me at the dance room where we first met I'm always there around Wednesday and Thursday evening.”

Dongwoon took note of the book in Kikwangs hand. “Oh – are you doing some research hyung?”

“Unfortunately, I gotta write this up for next friday.” he frowned at the book in his hand.

“I could help you if you'd like – as thanks for helping me out.” it took everything in Dongwoon to not slap his mouth, the suggestion came out of nowhere. But the way Kikwangs eyes lightened up at the offer made him thought otherwise.

“Really? I'd love that! But you don't really have to unless you're not busy.” his eyes pointed at the book in Dongwoons hand.

He shook his head, “I'm free to help, this is just a reading book that I was looking at.”

“Oh okay, come over and sit with me and we can get started right away.”

He followed Kikwang to the table in the far corner spoiled with notes and pens, Dongwoon didn't keep track of time he was with Kikwang but sitting across him and just listening and watching Kikwang was something he wouldn't ever get tired of. He could be on the phone with him for hours on end with neither of them speaking and he wouldn't mind that at all, the longer he stayed with Kikwang the more he felt as if he was at home.


----

The bustle of talking and laughter rose in the air of the lively restaurant.

“Enjoy your meal.”

Carefully placing the dishes on the table Dongwoon left after making sure their order was okay. Leaving the customers with a smile on their faces he briskly made his way towards the kitchen to pick up the next order waiting for him.

“Hey, I'll take this over. Why don't you take your break you've been working hard plus you've got some guests at the back corner.” He nudged Dongwoon.

He didn't recall anyone telling him that they would be visiting him at work, searching for the table at the back corner. He was surprised seeing Kikwang there along with Yoseob, Junhyung, and Hyunseung too. From where he was he could see Kikwang laugh over something Yoseob probably said, his eyes turning into crescent moons like they always do, his co-worker patted his shoulder as he walked ahead of him.

“Thanks hyung!” He eagerly tried to surprise them by stealthily avoiding from being anywhere near eye sight until Yoseob spotted him waving him over to the table they were. As he neared them he could hear Junhyung grumbling under his breath leading Yoseob to make a remark whilst Hyunseung was far more interested in eating the food in front of him instead of listening to them chatter away.

Kikwang beamed at the sight of Dongwoon, he shuffled over down the to make room for him. Taking the seat at the end Kikwang greeted him with a kiss on the cheek which he reciprocated with a kiss on his temple. Yoseob cooed over the maknae couple accompanied by Junhyung muttering I'm trying to eat here don't start being gross. Hyunseung elbowed him to the side ignoring Junhyung feigning that he was hurt, they all settled down over a refill of their drinks and side dishes as Hyunseung tried to persuade them to watch some ghost hunting program. Junhyung brought up his two cents declaring his disbelief in ghosts which naturally brought up Yoseob counter arguing that they were real.

Dongwoon laughed hearing the ridiculous claims coming from his friends, but it was nothing out of the ordinary. A familiar hand sneaked over capturing his own, Kikwang leaned into his side his against his shoulder, he could briefly smell the soothing chamomile and aloe vera from the shampoo that he regularly uses.


He later found the reason why he wanted to see Kikwang so badly, it wasn't just for the fact that they were soul mates from their signatures on the wrists. Dongwoon believed that it was deeper than that, it was more than just the names on their wrist even if neither of them had each others name Dongwoon would still stay with him no matter what anyone or any inked writing on his wrist would say.

He believed that he would've found him in any other circumstances whether it be in a different life time or in a parallel universe, because in the end he knew that they were meant to be.




 


I've dropped 3 slight references in this chapter:
1. The book Dongwoon picked up is Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami which is my favourite book!! 
2. Originally I was gonna go for Dongwoon studying something more of IT wise?? but I changed it to film studies after watching Me and Earl and the Dying Girl which was actually like months ago. 
3. The whole Hyunseung persuading the others to watch a ghost program is a subtle hint at my Junseung ghost fic Butterfly ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

I felt that there was a lack of Kiwoon so I did a small flashback of how they met, I'm not entirely happy with this chapter but I'm just happy that I got it done after how long. The next chapter will be everyone together again...,....,,..because I need it (╯︵╰,)


Happy belated birthday to the one and only 4D prince Hyunseung!!!!!♡♡♡♡♡


[Getting To Know You - Spazzkid]