Official

One Day

Even though it was only Tuesday the mall was still busy as ever, which shouldn't be surprising at all with only a few days left before Christmas. The bustle of footsteps and distorted voices blended together in the air whilst Yoseob sat his seat outside Starbucks, his elbows resting on the table with two large warm drinks in front of him. It's been almost twenty minutes yet he hadn't spotted Hyunseung among the crowd of people passing by, a yawn left his lips right before he slipped his phone out of his pocket to check the time. Looking down beside his feet he mentally checked off the list of things needed for Junhyung's surprise birthday party which was today, and not surprisingly Hyunseung just happened to be buying a present right at this moment.

“honestly, I'm still not surprised that you'd be buying a present right at the last minute, but really Hyunseung?”

Hyunseung came carrying over two heavy bags that looked on the verge of bursting in their faces, gently putting the heaviest bag on the table beside the drinks he passed over the lightest one to Yoseob who placed the bag on his lap. “it's /hyung/ to you, but hey, at least I got him something.” looking over his now red palms that were sore from the weight of the bags Hyunseung took his drink appreciating the relieving himself in the coldness.

“Okay, hyung. We should start heading back to Junhyung's place now, before Kikwang and Dongwoon end up starting a fire in the kitchen.”

Junhyung's birthday surprise was something that they've all been planning on for a while now, even Dongwoon had started a group chat with all of them in it (without Junhyung of course) it just shows how determined they were on this. As far as they've been planning, Junhyung hasn't even realised their little surprise yet, although Yoseob was convinced that the other most likely forgot that he even had a birthday. Downing their drinks in one go, the duo carried the heavy bags towards the parking lot where Dongwoons car was. The birthday boy wouldn't be back until later on, so as soon as he left, the rest of them sneaked in to prepare food for the party and to decorate the place with the fact that they had guests arriving too.

Yoseob drove them back to Junhyung's place since the eldest had driven them to the mall. The car came to stop at a red light, the sky was permanently grey and cloudy for a few days snow even became quite frequent bringing up hopes of having a white Christmas for the first time in the past two years. The radio sung cheery tunes into the car amongst the soft mumble of the engine, it all seemed deja vu the song reminded him of the first time he'd met doojoon. How long ago was that? It was probably October or November, on a whim he guessed that it's probably been around three months now.

He could vaguely just remember sitting in the passenger seat captivated by doojoons side profile, the way the light shined down on his newly dyed hair and highlighted his cheekbones down to the jawline. It was really mesmerising.

“So will Doojoon really be coming?”

“Yeah – he said around five but he'll let me know otherwise.”

“I bet you're more excited to see him than anticipating Junhyung's birthday.”

He rolled his eyes at hyunseungs assumption but smiled anyway, the whole teasing and anticipation of meeting Doojoon from his friends hadn't died down at all, he even no longer bothered to correct them any more since there will be really by no end to it at all. Arriving back at Junhyung's place they were met none other than Dongwoon and Kikwang, snuggled up together on the red sofa. The dining table was covered with a range of dishes and various plates, the smell of food wafted in the air reminding yoseob that he still hadn't eaten lunch yet.

“Please tell me that you've only been cuddling together and that's it.” Shutting the door behind him Yoseob followed his hyung into the apartment setting the bags on top of the kitchen counter.

Kikwang turned around facing him bringing Dongwoons arm over his shoulders. “hey, what are you trying to imply? Huh?”

Yoseob only stuck his tongue out before pulling out a seat, Hyunseung pulled out the seat next to him reaching over for the large water bottle. “if Junhyung found out that you were doing just more than cuddling on his red sofa he would've burned the whole place down then cut both of your tongues out.”

“Hyung! Don't joke around like that – we were just cuddling, okay. And maybe we did make out a little but that's it really.” The maknae rose from the sofa pulling Kikwang up with him. Lunch then went by peacefully than expected there wasn't much to talk about apart from double checking that they had drinks stocked up and where things should be placed around the apartment, they've thankfully managed to get everything set up and ready by around four thirty. Pastel coloured balloons covered the floor even a few helium balloons were up in the air along with massive banners hung onto the walls courtesy of the maknaes. This left Yoseob and Hyunseung in charge of setting up food and drinks for the guests to arrive, it wasn't like a crowd of a hundred will be coming over they only invited some of their close friends they've all mutually met plus some of junhyung's close friends from his course.

Gradually people started coming in covered head to toe in warm clothing and bags filled with presents, the place was starting to lighten up with the addition of more people inside spread out around. Hyunseung was by the counter with Kikwang catching up with Seungho and Heechul, Yoseob had just finished talking with Cheolyong when Dongwoon skipped over with a plate full of snacks.

“Don't end up finishing all the snacks, they aren't all for you remember.” he took a glazed doughnut from the plate earning him a whine.

“I know that hyung, hey, when is doojoon arriving? There's less than an hour left before Junhyung comes back.”

midway through eating yoseob almost chocked, he'd completely forgotten about Doojoon. Swallowing down the doughnut, he yanked his phone from his pocket seeing missed messages from almost thirty minutes ago.

Dongwoon looked down on the phone, “Wow hyung, how can you leave your boyfriend out in the cold for almost half an hour?”. He'd been occupied talking to other people that, he'd left doojoon outside waiting. Scowling at his mistake he rushed out the door not bothering to take a jacket with him, the doors of the building swung open with Yoseob's eyes wildly looking for Doojoon. Puffs of air escaped from his mouth from making a dash outside, just by the corner he spotted the silver car that he knew all too well including the man leaning against it with the Samsung galaxy phone held in his hands.

“Doojoon!”

A rush of air was punched out of him when he got tackled into a hug, Doojoon was lucky enough to catch his phone as it slipped out of his grip from the impact. He tucked the phone away hugging Yoseob back, “Hi to you too, aren't you cold?”

Yoseob unwrapped his arms stepping back, “Not really – I'm sorry for not coming down any sooner. Why didn't you just call me instead?”

“I was just about to actually, is everyone already there I'm kind of anxious honestly.”

A warm smile graced his face, “There's nothing to be anxious about, it's not as if everyone from England is up there. You'll be fine, you're just going to be with me through the whole party anyway.”

Doojoon returned the smile as Yoseob beckoned him over to the building, taking the elevator up, he greatly appreciated being inside the building after waiting in the cold he didn't even bother to wait in the car because of how anxious he felt. Walking inside the apartment the eldest took in the cosy atmosphere inside, the place was decorated with vibrant colours that covered almost every corner small groups of people have occupied themselves around simply chatting with each other some of them holding drinks, plates of food or even just their phone.

Dongwoon was the first to spot them before nudging Kikwang next to him, Yoseob was back with Doojoon who happened to be quite taller than Kikwang expected almost as tall as Dongwoon. Leaving their spot they approached the two welcoming the guest with a generous smile.

“ah – so you do exist. We were starting to believe that Yoseob was starting to lose it.” He laughed at the comment not aware of the glare Yoseob aimed at both of the maknaes snickering to themselves.

any ways, this is Doojoon hyung. The short guy there is Kikwang and this is Dongwoon the giant baby.”

“I'm not a giant baby!”

“It's nice to finally meet you guys, Yoseob talks about you a lot.”

Kikwang side-glanced at Yoseob leaning into Dongwoons side, “good things I hope, oh - you attend the same uni as us right?”

“Yeah, I'm in the sports department currently in my third year and I plan on becoming a p.e teacher.”

The maknae perked up “oh hyung! Are you also in the football team?”

The third year grinned straightening his back and jutting his chin upwards “why, yes I am. I'm actually the captain of the football team.” Yoseob rolled his eyes he could practically see Doojoon's ego getting bigger each second.

“I actually play football too, I used to be on the team back in high school.” kikwang added.

“Really? Then we should definitely have a match sometime!”

And just like that the conversation flowed like a river between the trio, they talked as if they've been friends for years. They even seemed to forget that Yoseob was even there, however he didn't really mind that at all. Standing next to doojoon he watched the way he would listen to Kikwang chatter away intently nodding in agreement every once in a while and actually laugh at one of Dongwoons awful jokes his eyes crinkling up into crescent moons, his heart fluttered letting his eyes roam over the features of Doojoon's face observing the way the dimples timidly show or the little gleam in his dark eyes that appeared for a split second whenever something piqued his interest.

Before Yoseob could even make a comment about Doojoons lips Heechuls voice resounded into the room alerting everyone that Junhyung was on his way up. Everyone in the apartment scattered around so quick that he forgot what was even going on until Doojoon caught his wrist tugging him to crouch behind the kitchen counter, when the panicked footsteps and rustle of fabric died down the click of the light switch was the last thing he heard when the darkness bathed the room pitch black.

Yoseob could feel doojoons chest pressed right against his back with his eyes being useless in this current situation he could only count on the other keeping him alert, he could only hope that Doojoon couldn't hear how loud is heart was being right now. Soft whispers were exchanged in the dark until the sound of heavy footsteps was heard from outside the door. The door swung open and almost simultaneously the lights flickered on, a chorus of happy birthday erupted startling Junhyung immediately while party streamers flew into the air.

“...it's my birthday?”

Hongki came forward playfully hitting junhyung's shoulder, “of course it is how can you even forget?” Seungho laughed next to him agreeing.

“It just proves that you're getting older by the minute.”

Junhyung laughed at Heechul's comment, then Jiho and Hyunseung parted through the small crowd carrying a white cake with a miniature pikachu perched on top next to the already lit candle. “happy birthday hyung!” “blow the candle and make a wish.”

He smiled at the duo before leaning down to blow the candle. A round of cheers and clapping resonated the room leaving him feeling shy from all the attention from everyone, once the cake was cut and distributed to everyone the time had flown by inside the apartment the warm air filled with bright laughter and the smell of food.


----


Junhyung had gotten around talking to everyone afterwards catching up with small talk and right now he was sat on the ever red sofa with Hyunseung by his side listening to Heechul including Jaejoong, Dasom, and Hyomin his closets friends from high school and work. Amongst them Doojoon and Yoseob found themselves sitting by the kitchen counter with Kikwang and Dongwoon the four shared snacks and mostly Dongwoon talked about how his parents restaurant business that's been understaffed lately, right when he was going to tell them something odd that happened with a customer he spotted Junhyung and Hyunseung making their way towards the counter, Kikwang cheerfully greeted them once they were close enough.


“Oh yeah – Doojoon hyung this is the birthday boy Junhyung and Hyunseungie.”

He welcomed them with one of his famous grins “nice to meet you, and happy birthday Junhyung.” looking over to Hyunseung he paused getting lost in his thoughts on the other hand Hyunseung was doing the same thing, the both of them staring without uttering a word.

Confused just as the other three Junhyung stepped forward almost in front of Hyunseung, “Is there something wrong?”

“Oh - ” he cleared his throat “sorry about that is just that we've met before in the grocery store.”

“yeah – he works with my cousin narsha noona. She's an English teacher and they both happened to work in the same school.”

'They've met before?' it was likely nothing to be concerned about. Yoseob knew that well, yet he didn't know why he felt pang in his chest. He couldn't be feeling jealous could he?

“That reminds me, I brought you something for your birthday. Hope you like it.”

Doojoon handed over the navy blue gift bag decorated with grey vertical lines, receiving the gift Junhyung looked inside only to be struck with awe. Carefully taking the present out of the bag he held the signed CD in his left hand, eyes looking over every single detail on it to verify that it was real. “How did you – but. It's actually real. It even has the signature on it.”

Hyunseung peaked over looking at the gift. “I thought this was sold out.” the maknae leaned across the counter to get a good look at it as Kikwang mirrored his action.

“Yoseob mentioned to me before that you're a fan of The Quiett, so I happened to pull some strings and there it is, right in your hands.”

“It's official, you're now one of my top ten favourite people. Step your game up you three.” accusing the maknae line. The trio scoffed obnoxiously, “whatever, hyung. It's not like you're even on my top five favourite people any way

The birthday boy grimaced mainly at Yoseob until his other half spoke up. “Now how am I supposed to top that present?”

“You got me something too seungie?”

A glint of mischief flickered in Dongwoon's eyes, “you know,/hyung/ you can always give his present later o-Ow! what was that for kiki hyung?”

Doojoon chuckled at their antics, Yoseob sure did have interesting friends. “Oh what did you get for Junhyung hyung?”

The door bell chimed cutting the other off, Hyunseung quickly ran to the door ushering the guest inside quickly. A girl with wavy hazel hair thanked him stepping inside, scattered snowflakes that were on her hair and beige coat slowly began to melt from the warmth. In her arms she carried something bundled up in a thick blanket.

Kikwang shot up in his seat hands slamming on the counter, “You got Junhyung hyung a baby?!”

“Wow, a big baby taking care of a little baby. That's new.” Yoseob blankly said.

“what, no. It's not a baby” He unwrapped the blanket revealing a cage, opening the locked door Hyunseung gently brought out a puppy wearing black jumper. “it's a puppy” the English bulldog opened it's small eyes becoming taking in it's new surroundings gradually getting excited in Hyunseung's arms.

“Happy birthday Junhyung oppa! I helped Hyunseung oppa pick him out.” The girl chirped happily.

Junhyung settled the CD on top of the counter, gathering the yelping puppy in his arms. “You really got me a puppy, thank you – both of you, really. Are you staying for a while Geurim?”

“it's was mostly Hyunseung oppa's idea, I'd love to but I have to run unfortunately. I already had something planned beforehand.”

Dongwoon and Kikwang cooed at the small pup perching on Junhyung's biceps. Doojoon leaned down to youngest beside him, “Wow, they really do look a like.”

“I know, beauty really does run in their bloodline.”

Geurim hurriedly said her goodbye's to them promising Junhyung that she would treat him out, Hyunseung asked her if he should walk her out to which she denied since her friends were already waiting outside in the car. She left waving to them once more right as she closed the door behind her.

“So what're you going to name him?” Kikwang asked.

Junhyung shifted the pup in his arms holding him up so they were both at the same eye level. “I'm naming him...Hyungnim.”

“what – Hyungnim? Out of all names, you really are seung hyung's soulmate.”

Hyunseung took Hyungnim in his arms softly scratching behind the dog's ears just when Kikwang stretched an arm out rubbing the soft belly. The maknae flinched at the raven haired trademark stare attempting to hide behind kikwang.

“Since it's an English bulldog, do you think he's good at English too?”

Yoseob and Junhyung blankly stared at him followed by Kikwang who even stopped rubbing the pups belly.

“Really, Doojoon.”

A sigh fell from Kikwang's lip he could tell that Dongwoon's grin was getting larger without even looking at him. “it's like Dongwoon 2.0”

The only one who wasn't paying attention was Hyunseung still pampering Hyungnim against his chest. The maknae laughed loudly over the stupid joke as Doojoon felt sense of pride swell in him. Junhyung rolled his eyes but smiled nonetheless looking over to Hyunseung and Hyungnim. Hongki called over to them from the sofa turning their attention to him, The eldest of them all didn't miss the way Junhyung kissed Hyunseung's temple slanted eyes staring at the other with complete adoration.


----


The clock striked eleven in the evening, a couple of people have left beforehand even so the whole atmosphere still remained sombre. Junhyung was now back at the sofa with Hyunseung, Kikwang, and Dongwoon surrounded by other guests too, the puppy now being in the centre of the spotlight with everyone cooing over him. Yoseob took this opportunity to take Doojoon with him over to the balcony sliding the glass door open they were greeted by the refreshing cold air, there wasn't much occupied on the balcony apart from a bench, two pots of flowers hanging on the rail and a large fake plant seated at the corner. Doojoon walked over to the bench sitting himself right in the middle with Yoseob plopping next to him, ahead of him was the vast site of tall and short buildings their windows lit up resembling the far away stars in the purple dyed sky.

“I forgot how nice the city lights are during the night.”

“Me too.”

They both sunk into their seats the dim light illuminating behind them from through the curtains, hushed talking and laughter could still be heard but not loud enough to overtake their voice levels.

Yoseob took in the view his arm leaning against Doojoon's, “So, what do you think about the rest of the gang? Annoying? Clingy? Noisy? Because I sure do.”

He chortled lightly hitting Yoseob's thigh, “I like them a lot, maybe I should start hanging out with them more.”

“you should! Dongwoon-ah will definitely love it since now there's someone else who's terrible with jokes and puns just like him.”

“Honestly I think you're just jealous because you wish you were just as funny as me.”

“yeah, sure I am.”

“but really, I enjoyed today. I have no idea why I would be anxious.”

Yoseob laughed bringing up his hand to cover half of his face, “I told you, there's nothing to worry about. Everyone likes you anyway.”

Seeing his short companion, Doojoon was almost taken back. Yoseob had his eyes closed facing forward, the dim light behind them gave depth to his smooth cheeks Yoseob's jawline wasn't as defined as his own but it was still visible. He looked entirely at peace like he had nothing to worry about, it had his heart raging in his chest. Without thinking his fingers ghosted across the skin tucking a strand of hair behind his ear, a spark of panic ran down his spine when Yoseob stirred in his seat. When Doojoon thought he was going to move away and tell him off the other unexpectedly leaned against him, his head resting just on his shoulder.

The ends of his lips curled up when catching sight of soft blush on Yoseob's face, He forced himself to not point out how endearingly cute how Yoseob was right now he instead brought an arm around his waist bringing him closer to Doojoon right as leant his head against the soft blonde hair brushing against his cheeks.

“Hey guess what.”

“What is it.”

“You wanna hear five random facts about me.”

Yoseob nods against his shoulder. “sure.”

“Okay, I love taking pictures of myself but I can never get my angles right.”

“Am I supposed to be surprised?” Doojoon rolls his eyes but continues any ways, “I'm actually afraid of heights.”

The youngest hums softly. “I've constantly been told by my friends and my family that my feet are really smelly, it's gotten to the point that my dad wanted me to go doctors to get it checked out.”

This time Yoseob bursts into a fit of laughter against his arm.

“In my second year when I was living in a dorm with my room mates they banned me from the kitchen because apparently I was a troublemaker in the kitchen.”

“You can't blame them, it's for you're own good and everyone else's.”

Doojoon fell silent before lightly speaking up, “Do you want to hear the last one?”

“Yeah.”


“I...like you a lot.”


His eyes snapped open, Yoseob slowly sat straight he reluctantly looked up to Doojoon seeing him sincerely smile back at him, “I really do mean it too.” He was completely stunned not realising that he was gaping like a fish in front Doojoon.

“It's okay. You don't have to answer me back right away if you like me or not, I don't want to rush you or anything – I just wanted to tell you because. I really do like you a lot.”

He broke eye contact from Doojoon's gentle eyes, looking down at his lap trying to grip the reality of the situation. He could feel his face insanely burn up and the palms of his hands starting to sweat on top of his jeans, Gathering as much courage as he could he leisurely look up only to stop frozen on the sight of Doojoon's arm.

In front of him the other steadily waited for Yoseob to say something, anything, when he followed Yoseob's owlishly wide eye's staring at his arm. It took him two glances to realise that there was something peaking out from under his sleeve, a thin black curved line just on the edge of his sleeve. He tugged his sleeve down even further and Yoseob audibly gasped.

“t-thats – it's my signature.”

Yoseob started trembling beside him, collecting the youngest in his arms his calloused hands gently drew comforting shapes on his back. “I – please don't feel pressured, I'll wait as long as you need you me too.”

His vision was blinded by the navy jumper “I'm-” he pulled away slightly taking a deep breathe in “I – like you too. A lot, maybe longer than you have.”

He was left stupidly grinning drinking in the sight of Yoseob's flushed face, his shy smile, his watery eyes and the slightly messy hair from leaning on him. He mentally engraved the precious moment into his mind. “What did you say? I didn't catch what you said.”

Yoseob let his head fall forward against Doojoon's chest grumbling 'shut up, you heard what I said'. He snorts then laughs hugging him tight before gently pulling him back, the palms of his hands cupping Yoseob's still blushing face, inching closer he kissed Yoseob's nose before placing another kiss on his lips setting off a storm in his heart. When he pulled away Yoseob motionlessly opened his eyes coming in seeing Doojoon's bleary ones.

“Don't start crying on me you big baby.”

He smiled anyway at the comment dropping his arms as they returned back to Yoseob's waist pulling him against his chest whilst he hid his face in the crook of Yoseob's neck. “Yeah, but at least I'm your big baby.”

Yoseob said nothing but returned the gesture embracing Doojoon closer as he possibly could moulding their hearts into one.


 


This chapter is gross but so am I ╮(╯▽╰)╭ feel free to yell at me @juntoro ♡♡♡♡♡


[Official - Lee Hi]