Two Melodies

One Day

The highlighted papers flooded with sticky notes were collected into one neat stack before being slipped into a clear sleeve inside the black folder. Double checking that he had everything he needed he got off his chair stretching his long arms, squeaking shoes could be heard not far as a hoard of kids came rushing out into the hallway. Doojoon checked his watch right on time as the school bell echoed through the buildings, noisy laughter and shouting filtered into the playground it was finally the end of the last semester for the year.

The tired teacher in training envied the younger brats being able to enjoy themselves whilst himself was stuck with the overbearing responsibilities of being an adult. Shutting down the computer doojoon looked over the sports office, four other desks including his own were all neatly cleaned up apart from the various notices clipped around the desktops. With one of the other teachers having left early and the head of the sports office stuck in a meeting, this only meant it was doojoons responsibility to make sure that the storage room was locked up and all the kids were out of the building. Luckily it took him no longer than twenty minutes to lock up the sports hall and shoo away a couple of boys who returned gathering their stuff that they've left behind.

“doojoon, I forgot that you were still here. Did you manage to lock everything up and not lock yourself inside the storage this time?”

his cheeks were blushed pink, “hyung!, that was one time okay. Plus you can't blame me it was eight in the morning and I forgot that the door locks by itself.”

“it was still funny” he wiped away a fake tear before smiling “any ways, you did great today during today's lesson. I'm sure all the boys enjoyed letting off some steam with dodge ball.”

“I'm more surprised how none of the windows or lights didn't get shattered at all to be honest.” doojoon added ungracefully shoving everything inside his back pack. His mentor for his placement was xiah junsu who was only older than him by a couple of years, thankfully they managed to get along really well than he thought.

“that reminds me, do you have some free time today? Once yunho hyung gets back from the meeting all the teachers are gonna go out to a barbecue restaurant, you're always welcome to come.”

doojoon couldn't remember the last time he'd went to a barbecue restaurant plus he didn't mind taking up the offer to eat meat with a couple of beers with the other teachers but right now the only thing that was appealing to him was a good eight hour rest in his own flat. Junsu watched him contemplating before elbowing him lightly, “it'll be fun! Plus narsha noona will be there, rumour has it that she has an eye out for you”

he couldn't contain his laughter as he watched junsu wriggle his eyebrows suggestively at him, “I'm sorry hyung, I actually got plans for tonight but let me know when the next meetup is and I'll definitely come.”

junsu perked at the mention of doojoon already busy for tonight “oh, does doojoon-ah already have a girlfriend? Or maybe a boyfriend that he hasn't told his hyung about?”

the youngest sheepishly smiled turning his attention to the flyer hanging on the wall, “well, no... but someone has caught my attention lately.”

if doojoon thought that junsu's grin grow larger he was wrong “I wonder who has caught the almighty doojoons attention, narsha noona would be sad to hear this. Well I don't want to take up any more of your time so go ahead and have fun, and have a good winter break you deserve it!”

“thanks hyung and you too, let me know the next time you're free so we can all eat together!” waving goodbye he quickly made his way out heading to the reception since the gates were already closed, on his way he said his goodbyes to staff members finally leaving the school.


----


doojoons plan for winter break was to get as much sleep as he could as possible until January rises up again. Originally he was excited to head back home to his parents house where he would stay till new years but that went down the drain when a couple of days ago his parents called him to say that they'll be spending Christmas and new years in Japan, he reassured them that it was fine and that they should just go and enjoy themselves he could always visit them sometime during January. He was even thinking of spending time at his noonas place however he immediately dumped that out, since she was living with her boyfriend and doojoon didn't want to spend the end of the year being a third wheel.

He could always ask his friends if he could stay over for a bit but then again everyone would want to just head back home and spend time with their own family, he understood that well. He'd be just fine by himself.

The traffic on the way was horrific but doojoon couldn't be any more happier than to just lie his aching bones down to rest into hibernation. “I'm home.” silence only welcomed him back, toeing off his shoes he chucked everything to the side with only his white button up and black pants on just as he flopped himself on the sofa. He took a pillow clutching it tightly against his chest, the heater would go on in an hour or so yet doojoon chose to bare the cold letting his dreary eyes slide shut.

When he woke up three hours later doojoon was baffled to see his quiet empty apartment to be lively, the woolly blanket that kept him warm slipped off as he sat up to see his friends on the floor shouting at ken and dhalism battling out on the tv. He never recalled buying street fighter v, doojoon tried to recollect his memories from before if he actually did go out with junsu hyung and the other teachers until a loud voice came into the living room.

“hey look!, doojoons finally awake!”

his mind came clear as the owner of the loud voice flopped himself next to doojoon hooking his arm around his shoulders. “wooyoung? What are you doing here - why is everyone here actually?”

“is that the attitude we get after you, claim how busy you are whenever we ask you when you're free.” looking across him taecyeon was sat hunched over eyes concentrating on the tv, if doojoon wasn't tired he would've kicked the back of his head for the remark. Sitting next to him seulong leaned back on his arms with his eyes narrowing at doojoon “it's like when your dad says that he's going out to buy milk but he doesn't come back and before you know it it's been three years.”

that statement alone evaporated his annoyed attitude, when boasts of obnoxious laughters poured out from everyone in the room. He really did miss his favourite bunch of idiots, doojoon and wooyoung sat on the sofa watching intently as taecyeon and changmin struggled over the last round. Once taecyeon won an eruption of complaints and cheers overlapped each other with changmin demanding a rematch only for junho to snatch his controller off him while seulong did the same with taecyeons, on to the last quarter of the second round changmin peaked over from the kitchen.

“doojoon, you've got nothing left to eat here.”

“there should be left over yaki soba from yesterday – I was saving that for dinner.”

the sound of M. Bison's defeat echoed from the tv, junho laughed trying to avoid seulongs attempt of hitting him “oh sorry, we ate that while you slept.”

M. Bison's unconscious body was how exactly he felt right now, defeated. “you come into my house, eat my dinner and complain. What kind of horrible date is this.”

“you can still go out and buy us food – wooyoung will pay since it was his idea to raid your house.” taecyeon added.

doojoon got off the couch stretching his tired limbs, before waiting for a grumbling wooyoung to hand over money. “thank you, I'll be back quick so don't wreck anything or else.” picking up his blazer he chucked to the side doojoon left just in time for another roar of shouting waved over. Escaping the noisy brats in his apartment he jogged out into the street, it was probably around six judging by orange dyed horizon. Doojoon entered the grocery shop he regularly went greeting the shop keeper as he walked down the aisles, he figured on making pasta for dinner since he wasn't in favour of buying any takeaways this time.

With his right arm filled with his ingredients, he thought he might as well buy other things that he needed instead of coming back later on. Turning right into the next aisle he found a range of coffees neatly stacked in front of him, while reaching over for his usual cheap brand his arm accidentally nudged the stranger next to him.

“oh – I'm sorry about that.”

the stranger sent him a small smile “it's fine, don't worry about it.” and then something clicked. This person looked familiar as if he'd seen him somewhere before, but he couldn't exactly remember where and it was bugging him. being unaware of his blatant staring the person across him was starting to feel uncomfortable.

“is there something on my face? or...” he asked as his hands came up to his face.

Doojoon nervously laughed “no there isn't anything on your face but you seem familiar-” now that he'd thought about it up close the person seemed to almost look like narsha especially with the eyes “I'm sorry but do you happen to know someone called narsha? She's an English teacher”

“narsha?” he fell silent for a second before speaking up again “oh - narsha noona, I didn't know that hyo-jin noona still goes by that name, and yeah she's my cousin actually. How'd you know her?”

“ ah, really, because-” he was interrupted by a cheery ringtone, doojoon watched narsha's cousin pat around his pockets before finding his phone to answer the call.

“Hello? Oh kikwang – I just visited geurim. No, I should be heading back soon, do you want me to buy anything?”

'kikwang? Where have I heard that?' a lot of strange things were going on today, and majority of the stuff doojoon knew about it deep down somewhere but he could only guess that he's brain was still half asleep.

“what – no. Tell dongwoon to keep his grubby hands off my leftover chicken.” doojoon laughed in his head at the conversation, unfortunately he couldn't interrogate narshas cousin any more as the brunette walked away too engrossed with his phone call. The eldest could only watch him disappear until he remembered he had dinner to cook for the uninvited guests in his house, doojoon only wished for the day to end quicker so he could get back straight to sleeping.


----


hours later after dinner and long talks of being up to date with everyone, they all finally left doojoons place but not without threats and forced promises he was made to keep because apparently to wooyoung 'he was tearing this family apart'. Nonetheless he loved them all really, he'd been close with them since his first year and doojoon guaranteed that he'd still be friends with them for a very long time.

With the piles of plates stacked away into the cabinet, doojoon sauntered into the living room picking up his bag and blazer off the floor as he headed to his room. Without a moment to waste he slipped himself into a white shirt and grey shorts before jumping inside the warmth of his bed, it was already eleven forty one. By this time doojoon would've been on his desk scanning through his many notes and coming up with a lesson plan for the next day, it felt odd that he wasn't actually doing anything that concerned with work. The darkness in the room lulled his heavy eyelids to slide shut, it all felt surreal.

The shrill sound of his phone woke him up, doojoon groaned as he turned over to his side grabbing the phone under his pillow. “hello?”

“Doojoon? Did I wake you up?” it was yoseob. Putting the call on speaker he settled his phone on the pillow next to him, the tone of worry in his voice left a smile on his face.

“yeah, you did actually.”

oh” he could imagine the other blushing at the other side of the call “I'm sorry, I'll call you back tomorrow.”

“no don't. It's fine really, besides I slept before actually.”

“are you sure it's fine?” there was shuffling in the background before doojoon heard the door clicked shut.

“yeah, it's fine. How was your day?”

“busy. Some of my friends are sleeping over today so now the apartment is more noisy than usual, other than that my day has been good. I got a good grade on my research essay plus my presentation went better than I expected.”

doojoon grinned “see. I told you that you will do great in your presentation but you were like 'oh I'm gonna totally fail my presentation and embarrass myself if only doojoonie hyung was here with me'

please. I never said that at all.” yoseob snorted “as if I'll ever call you 'doojoonie hyung'”

“but you just did.”

“that's not my point. Oh! Before I forget are you free now?”

the eldest gasped “yoseob, are you gonna ask me out? Am I dreaming right now, where am I...who am I?”

“you're an idiot that's what you are. And no I'm not asking you out, I was going to ask if you'd like to come to junhyung's birthday party it's at his place – plus you'll finally get to meet face to face with my friends!”

“of course I will, should I bring anything for his birthday?”

faint laughter resonated from yoseobs call into doojoons room “sorry – they're being noisy. But yeah just bring him a can of coke he'd be just happy with that.”

he chuckled “really?” doojoon didn't anyone who would just be really happy with a can of coke.

“yeah, he'll love it trust me. How was your day? Anything good happen?”

doojoon curled his legs up to his chest tugging the duvet above his shoulders “My day was good, I had the kids play dodge ball as their last lesson of the year. Afterwards one of my sunbaes invited me to go drinking with them but I declined.”

“what why? That sounds like fun.”

“I know, but I was really tired – I told them that I would join in next time. And when I got home I immediately had a nap, then the moment I wake up I find out that some of my had friends come over while I was asleep. And you know what they did?”

“they shaved your head.”

god forbid. But they came over played street fighter on my ps4 and then ate my leftover dinner that I was specifically saving to eat at the end of the day. Then they ate everything else in my damn apartment leaving me to go out and buy dinner and other crap.”

recalling that memory made doojoon beyond annoyed yet hearing yoseob heartily laugh close to his ear had him drowning in that melodious tone, doojoon could listen to it on repeat until his ears bleed and he wouldn't mind that at all.

“I like them they sound like great friends.”

“of course you would, you're just like them eating all my food.”

“true, but you still like them right?”

doojoon tsked “of course I do, I'm not that mad at them. They came over uninvited because I've been occupied the whole month and I kept blowing them off every time they asked if I could hangout...I missed them a lot really I'm actually glad that I saw them today.” his eyes fell shut “...I haven't been meeting up with anyone at all, I've always just been really occupied.”

yoseob hummed listening closely.

“it's ironic how that now I'm free, suddenly everyone else is busy now with Christmas just ahead and . Even my parents will be away in japan for Christmas and new years then there's my noona who's living with her boyfriend...now that I realise it we've only met up twice this month.”

“...yeah we have.”

“I miss you too, you know.”

nothing was heard for a moment in the other end “you're too straightforward for your own good...but – I miss you also.” yoseob admitted the last part quietly and doojoon felt his heart flutter.

“I mostly miss you paying for my food.”

“I knew it. You only liked me for the free food.”

doojoon laughed along with yoseob until there was a knock on the door, “yeah?” “hyung, hyunseung hyung broke the tv” a distant yell of no I didn't could be heard. He sighed waving off the maknae “I'll be right there.”

“hey, I'll call you back since it's going to take a while.”

“it's fine. I'm going to sleep now any ways, I'm exhausted

oh you poor baby

doojoon grinned to himself “oh, you're calling me baby now?”

“would you prefer fathead instead?”

he laughed again rubbing his eyes “whatever, I'll talk to you again tomorrow. Bye ”

“okay, sleep well”.

Slowly falling into a deep slumber doojoon listened for the dial tone before he could finally pass out, but what doojoon didn't comprehend was yoseob quietly saying baby once more.



 

 



hahahahhaasdhs everyone will meet face to face in the next chapter I swear & also something is going to happen soon it might be good or bad who knows ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



[Two Melodies - Zion.T ft Crush]