Baby girl who?

Lost Future

I turned around and saw the baby girl that he was referring to, placing a wide smile on my face. “Ah so she’s up.” I wanted to greet her but I know it’s not a good idea to disturb her when she’s concentrating on something. “Well you could say that. But she’s not Sica Unnie’s.” I informed him.

“Taeyeon’s?” He guessed. “I didn’t hear about her marriage. I thought we were close enough to get invited on her wedding day.” He sulked at the thought of being uninvited by my sister making me laugh.

“Don’t worry. I wasn’t invited myself.” I told him sadly as he gave me a look of disbelief. Looking at his expression I can’t help but smile a little at the thought that he’s still the same Kwon Jiyong after all this years.

“No one was actually invited since she didn’t get married.” I continued leaving him all the more flabbergasted. As much as it amuses me to prolong this charades since it’s been a long time since I was able to do this, I have to stop before a big misunderstanding happens. I let out the laugh that I was trying to hold in and clarified, “And no, she did not get pregnant out of wedlock though there’s nothing wrong about that. But that baby girl’s not hers as well.”

His jaw fell as some kind of conclusion came to his mind. “You’re married?!”

“Oh Goodness NO!” I answered repulsively. “You know me Kwon Jiyong! You know my thoughts about marriage! How could you even think that way?!”

He laughed at my reaction saying, “You know what’s funny?” he paused, waiting to get my full attention. “What?” I asked. “It’s very hilarious that you were fine when I assumed that you were dating Jessica-ssi and then when I thought you got married you reacted violently.” He pointed out while laughing his heart out.

Noticing what he said, I joined in his laughter since he’s right. I did react harsher over the thought of marriage. Though it’s not something new, it’s still amusing how messed up my thoughts can be at times.

After the laughter died down, Jiyong Oppa went back to his probing. “If she’s not Jessica-ssi’s or Taeyeon’s or even yours, then is she a neighbor’s kid that you’re just baby-sitting? Does your pay at the café not cover everything that you had to do baby-sitting at the side?”

A lot of questions are obviously on his mind and since this talk has been going on for too long, I guess I would have to give the answers to everything now. No more vague statements or misleading hints. I have to lay everything down now. This is after all my intention for the promise that I made him keep.

“Would you want to greet the cute little girl?” I inquired as a start.

“Is it alright if I do?” He asked for permission. “Honestly, I’ve been itching to approach and hug that cute little girl ever since she started waddling towards the living room. You know how much I love kids.” He confessed shyly.

With that, I stood up and urged him to follow. “Come on. I’ll introduce you.”

We made our way towards the little girl that has her face scrunched up in concentration with what she was doing. With the looks of it, she was trying to write something but incessantly erases what she wrote maybe thinking that she spelled it wrong or mistaken one letter as for another. “Typical of her” I giggled.

“I never got my ‘you’re finally home’ and ‘I missed you so much’ kisses.” I pouted playfully as I squatted beside the troubled girl.

Realizing that I was the one talking, she immediately let go of her jumbo pencil and squealed in delight giving me a big hug which I returned lovingly.

“You’re home! I missed you!” she exclaimed and then gave me a wet and noisy kiss on the cheeks making me laugh.

“I missed you too. So much!” I showered her with kisses all over her face making her squirm in my embrace.

“Stop. Stop! It tickles.” She cried in protest. I gave her one last kiss on the lips and she patted the top of my head playfully saying, “Good Umma! She listens well.”

“And that’s why my little baby girl should always listen to Umma as well.” I stuck my tongue out to the little kid like another little kid. They don’t call me Yoong choding for nothing.

Her giggles filled the whole apartment and I just can’t help but smile at how adorable she is. Just when her fit of laughter ended she stood up and walked away from me. I was puzzled for the reason behind her leaving my side since she’s just like Sica Unnie when I’m around; clingy.

“Umma, who’s this ahjussi?” She asked while innocently looking up at Jiyong Oppa.

If not for her question I would almost have completely forgotten that I was supposed to introduce Jiyong Oppa to her. I stood up and approached the two of them who are both standing by the kitchen doorway. One was looking at the little one with big surprised eyes, while the other was tilting her head in curiosity of the stranger’s identity.

Jiyong Oppa must have received a great shock after hearing how she addressed me. Here comes more questions that I would have to answer to.

“Baby, why don’t you introduce yourself to this handsome ahjussi first?” I prodded the suddenly shy girl.

I saw her looking down and holding the hem of her yellow spongebob t-shirt and it made me laugh. My little girl is actually blushing and fidgeting around Jiyong Oppa. It looks like she was also smitten by the notorious Kwon Jiyong.

“Are you crushing on this ahjussi?” I teased earning a glare almost similar to Sica Unnie’s.

It should probably scare me but it was cute to look at instead of intimidating. I should really tell Sica Unnie to stop teaching her how to glare at people, though. She might end up as cold as her. “Andwae!” I screamed in my head.

“Come on baby girl. Don’t be shy. This ahjussi might even buy you your favorite mango ice cream if you become friends.” I continued to encourage her to make her move.

Her head went up straight at the mention of Mango and immediately she started her well-practiced self-introduction for school.

“Anyeonghase-yo Ajhussi.” She bowed overly almost tumbling forward. “My name is Krystal.” I cleared my throat to correct her and she scrunched up her face in protest but after I mouthed the word MANGO to her she hesitantly corrected herself. “I mean my name is Im Soojung but please call me Krystal instead. It sounds better than Soojung just like what Jessica Imo says and I agree. Don’t you think so?”

Jiyong Oppa stifled a laugh witnessing the struggle with the name. “I don’t know. I have to ask first who named you Soojung and who gave you the name Krystal before I judge.”

Soojung pouted and pointed at me accusingly. “Umma did! Umma named me Soojung saying that I was named after Jessica Imo’s little sister but Jessica Imo kept on calling me Krystal just like how she called her dongsaeng before, since it sounds cuter she said.”

“Don’t you like the name Soojung?” He inquired.

“I do but Krystal sounds better and I get scared when Umma calls me Soojung since that means she’s serious and Umma is very very scary, more scary than Jessica Imo when she’s serious.” Soojung explained with a slight shiver as if just the thought of it frightens her.

“YAH! I’m not that scary!” I complained with a pout towards the little kid.

“YES YOU ARE!” The both of them screamed at the same time.

Realizing what they did, they looked at each other and smiled widely making a high-five.

“And now they’re ganging up on me.” I playfully palmed my face.

It’s nice to see them interact like this. Soojung was never friendly with the boys and she easily gets scared with men around Jiyong Oppa’s age but seeing her comfortably fooling around with Jiyong Oppa warms my heart.

The both of them continued talking while I just stood there watching them with a huge grin.

“Okay then. It’s settled. I will be calling you Soojung!” He announced making the little girl grimace. “We played rock, paper and scissors for 3 times already and you lost all 3 so don’t sulk and let me call you Soojung alright?”

In defeat she heaved a deep sigh and said, “Since Ajhussi won fair and square, then I don’t have a choice.”

He patted her hair gently and smiled adoringly. “Soojung-ah, stop calling me Ajhussi. Since we’re friends now, just call me Uncle Ji.”

In return, Soojung smiled brightly knowing that she just made a new friend and got a new Uncle as well.

“Does that mean I’ll get my Mango Ice Cream?” She expectantly looked at Jiyong Oppa and he turned to me as if asking if it’s alright. I just gave him a light nod and he returned his attention to little Soojung.

“Yes you will!”

“Assa!” She air punched in delight making Jiyong Oppa and I both laugh at the sight.

“Let’s go!” Soojung started pulling Jiyong Oppa’s hands excitedly heading towards the exit.

She let go of his hand and huffed in resignation when the person she was pulling did not move. Jiyong Oppa then crouched to be at eye-level with Soojung.

“Uncle Ji promises to buy you your Mango Ice Cream but Uncle Ji needs to talk to Yoong Umma first. After that we’ll get you all the Mango Ice Cream that you want. Arasso?”

Surprisingly so, Soojung nodded in agreement without any protests. It seems like Jiyong Oppa already caught this little girl’s heart. What else to expect from Kwon Jiyong himself.

“Alright. I’ll just go back to writing and let Yoong Umma talk to you and laugh like an alligator again.” She shrugged coolly and went back to her area surprising me.

I still can’t get used to how Soojung-ah can be so calm and cool for a growing 6-year old. She’s probably spending too much time with Sica Unnie that they’re starting to resemble each other.

“Yah! Where did you get that?” I interrogated the kid about where she got the term she used.

“Jessica Imo always says that about Umma when Umma starts laughing a lot.” She explained shortly and went back to writing like her Umma is not even around anymore.

It’s final! Starting tomorrow I’ll bring her with me to work!

Jiyong Oppa suddenly started cracking up making me turn my head towards his direction.

“If you can only see your face Yoong.” He pointed out.

“Why, what’s wrong with my face?” I used my hand to check my face.

“Your jaw almost touched the floor and your eyes went saucer-like-wide after getting teased by your own daughter.” He continued laughing hysterically. “Epic! Soojung’s a very adorable kid!”

Hearing the reason for his laughing fit, I just let him laugh all he wants and sulked as I wait until it dies down. When it finally did, he asked me to return to the kitchen to start the inevitable tirade of questions.

“Would you mind if we head back inside?” He asked.

I went ahead as an answer and he followed suit. I settled back to where I was seated earlier and prepared myself for the impending questioning that I would be receiving from him.

“You have a daughter?” He started as soon as he sat.

I smiled and nodded expecting that he would ask this first.

“You said you weren’t married. Then who’s the father?” He continued intrigued.

“I don’t know.” I answered honestly and his eyes immediately widened in surprise and I know what he’s thinking and it’s definitely not it. To stop the misunderstanding, I continued while vigorously shaking my hands. “No! I don’t mean it that way! I don’t and didn’t sleep around okay!”

I saw his chest heave a breath of relief. He even reached for a glass of water and took it in one go. Things are obviously not simple and that’s why I don’t know where or how to start. Maybe Sica Unnie can explain it better than I ever can.

“How do I even start this? Uhhmmm.” I mumbled in distress.

He seemed to notice that I’m having difficulty in clearing how things happened so he reached for my hand and gave it a light squeeze of encouragement.

“Relax.” He cooed. “Breathe and then start from where you feel comfortable with.”

I followed his instructions and inhaled deeply. I held it in for a few seconds and breathed out.

Feeling that I can probably start, I closed my eyes and recalled everything that happened the past 7 years. I decided on starting with how little Soojung came into my life.

“Soojung-ah, she’s adopted.” I began. “I adopted her 2 years after I disappeared. She was just 5 months old when I decided to place her under my care.”

--------

a/n: Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I bet most of you went from, "told you so" to "WTF" in just one chapter right? hehehe >//////< And can anyone please stop Soojung *gets glared at by baby girl* I mean Krystal's *showing baby girl the 'happy now' face* cuteness?! >3< She's soooo freaking adorb! mangoes and sass are her charm! hehehe ^_^ comments anyone? Love love love <3 <3 <3