The Unnie...

Lost Future

*the part of the story in italic is a flashback so don't be confused

-----

Once again, extreme curiosity is showing on his face. I bit on my lip as I begun explaining.

“You know I’m a klutz right?”

He nodded his head excessively to show how much he agrees. I scoffed at his indirect teasing but continued none theless.

“It was back when I was still new at my first job. I was actually working as the secretary of Jung&Lee’s Accounting firm’s Chief Internal Auditor, Lee Sunkyu-nim or as she prefers to be called, Sunny-ssi.”

 

It hasn’t even been a month since I got a call from the Accounting firm that I applied for informing me about the schedule for my contract signing. It feels good to be working under a company that is under the field of what I dreamed of being a part of. Though it might be under different circumstances, I’m already contented that at least I’m near that line of work.

I’m currently organizing the files for Sunny-ssi’s latest project when I heard the buzz signaling that my boss is looking for me. I quickly left my desk and went inside her office knowing how Sunny-ssi hates having to wait.

I bowed as a greeting. “Annyeonghase-yo Sunny-ssi.”

“Oh! Yoona-ssi! That was fast.” She giggled.

Though she’s a very successful and strict Auditor, she’s very different when she’s not working. On my first day of work, we met at the company she was assigned to and was to do field work. As I watched her doing her thing, her face stayed expressionless and calm. Her tone was even very authoritative and sometimes demeaning. At first that made me feel very intimidated and afraid but I got the shock of my life when this ‘little terror’ as she was dubbed by her subordinates and colleagues suddenly showed her aegyo the first time that we were left alone. That’s when I got to know that my boss was a very childish and cutesy person when not working. She never even fails to wink at me when she greets me and she even shows me her 3-set aegyo just to annoy me because she’s bored.

“Don’t want you to get all whiny because I made you wait for 3 minutes like last time. I think my ears haven’t recovered from your excessive high-pitched squealing. And it’s been 2 days already.” I acted like I was clearing my ears to prove a point.

She just laughed it off and I joined her after. We’re this comfortable with each other that I get to like this without the fear of being fired or scolded. Well I’m just afraid that she’ll start using excessive aegyo again.

“So how can I assist my giggling boss?” I asked playfully as she giggled even more. “You did not just call me because you’re bored did you? I swear I’m going to use my aegyo on you if you did.”

Yes. I did threaten her using my aegyo. She just hates it so much that she cowers when I do it. Lucky me to have something to stop this little trouble maker from bullying me each time she has the chance.

“You won’t dare!” She challenged.

“Oh yes I dare Lee Sunkyu-ssi.” I proclaimed.

Where else would you see a secretary threatening her boss like this? That’s just me, Im Yoona. I’m one of a kind.

“Fine!” she pouted. “Good thing I actually have something to say as a back-up.”

“What is it? Is it something about the report that I passed earlier?” I inquired nervously.

“Nope.” She shook her head cutely. “I just wanted to warn you that someone will be coming into the office later, maybe after lunch. She might just barge in without even acknowledging you so don’t even try to stop her if she comes in my office.”

I nodded noting what she said in my head.

“And just in case she does notice you, please do keep your cool and patience as best as you can.” She advised. Unconsciously, I tilted my head in confusion urging her to explain further. “Well, she can be very blunt and sharp-tongued. Not to mention very hot-headed. She’s hell on earth when she’s not pissed, all the more when she is. So please be careful around her.”

“Is that so? Thanks for the heads up then.” I thanked her. “Who’s she anyway?”

“She’s the Jung in this company and also my childhood friend.” She informed.

 

I went back to my work after talking with Sunny-ssi for a while. And as predicted, just as I got back from my lunch break, a woman strutted confidently towards my boss’ office. She does look like exactly how my boss described; blunt and sharp-tongued. Her features are even screaming AUTHORITY and POWER. I’m not fazed though since I’ve handled people like her before. It was not easy but it was not impossible as well.

She passed by my desk without even batting an eye and opened Sunny-ssi’s office door without knocking. As a dutiful secretary, I followed suit.

“Anyeonghase-yo.” I greeted the both of them.

“Iced Americano.” Ms. Jung ordered immediately after my bow as if already expecting that I was about to ask if they want anything to drink. She didn’t even look at me when she did so. Talk about snobbish.

“How about you Sunny-ssi?” I asked and she just showed me her eye-smile letting me know what she wants. “Alright then. I’ll be back with the Iced Americano and White Chocolate Mocha.”

I left them there to prepare everything and after a few minutes, I was back with the tray of their drinks. As if luck is playing a trick on me, out of all the days that I would be clumsy it chose today. I was placing the Iced Americano on the coffee table in front of Ms. Jung when she suddenly got up and accidentally nudged the tray that I was holding on my left hand throwing the freshly brewed beverage on my black blouse.

Things happened too fast that I wasn’t even able to react and all I was able to do was shut my eyes and clench my fist to endure the burning pain on my left shoulder. The sting from the burn started traveling down my arms as the liquid flowed. It was the kind of pain that would leave you immobile and it seems like the shock also lead the other 2 unharmed persons in the room stunned.

“OH MY GOD!” A high-pitched voice cried out breaking the silence. “Are you alright?” She asked scolding herself afterwards for asking something that has an obvious answer. “Stupid! Of course you’re not. Do you need to go to the hospital? I’ll go get the car! Or should I call an ambulance instead?” She started looking for her purse frantically and she looked lost and confused.

She was talking so fast that I barely understood a word she said. The way she was panicking was very amusing for me that I momentarily forgot the searing pain on my left arm and started laughing. How can this cool and chic woman turn into this nervous wreck within such a short period of time? My laughter earned questioning looks from the witnesses.

Ms. Jung halted in looking for her purse and raised her brow asking, “Why are you laughing? Aren’t you in pain?”

“I am. It’s actually excruciatingly painful but I just can’t stop myself from laughing at your reaction.” I answered honestly. “You were so calm and intimidating when you entered and then this happened. You looked so adorable in a state of panic.”

“That’s Jessica Jung for you; gorgeous, hot and bipolar.” Sunny-ssi explained receiving a strong slap on the shoulder from her friend. “Let’s not forget very violent.” She started rubbing the area that received the hit and complained, “Geez woman! Have you been working out? That was painful!”

Jessica-ssi, as what my boss called her, ignored her whining friend and carefully approached me. Her face was full of worry and guilt when she looked at my left side still partly drenched from the white chocolate mocha. Slowly, I saw her reaching out to the burned part. “Does it hurt a lot?” And I winced in pain from the light contact with my skin.

Ironically though, she was the one that looks like she’s about to cry. I felt bad for making her feel that way so I gave her a reassuring smile. “It does. But don’t worry it’s nothing some cream can’t fix.”   

“I really do apologize Ms…” she stopped halfway not knowing what to address me.

“Im Yoona. My name is Im Yoona Ms. Jung Jessica.” I introduced myself and also made known that I am aware of who she is.

“Ah! You’re Im Yoona?!” She asked wide-eyed in recognition.

I looked at her confused. “You know me?”  

She nodded and smiled brightly showing her pearly white teeth.

“Who doesn’t? The whole office has been buzzing since the first time you applied.” She stated as if it was such a big mistake not being aware of it. “It was the talk of the town for weeks that it even reached me, the CEO.”

I turned my head to Sunny-ssi’s direction to ask for confirmation and she just stuck her tongue out at me. ‘How mature’ I sighed.

“You didn’t know? Sunny never told you?” She asked unbelievingly. “Such as lousy boss Sunny!” She scoffed at my boss. All of a sudden she clapped her hands and announced of her newly thought brilliant idea. “You know what, I’ll poach you! Leave this midget and come work for me!”

My eyes went as wide as saucers after hearing what she said and Sunny-ssi started yelling. “YAH! Don’t steal her from me!”

What’s really happening right here? I was just supposed to bring drinks to this two quarrelling bosses and get back to my peaceful desk but I ended up getting burnt and now I find out that people were talking about me in the office.

The two midgets are still fighting over who gets to have me as their secretary and it seems like their even talking about giving me an all-expense paid vacation somewhere I haven’t even heard of and something about an apartment and a car. They’re being extremely ridiculous and over board with this issue. What was the news about me anyway that made them become like this?

I coughed to get their attention but they seem to have forgotten that I was even in the room. Ignoring the ache on my arm, I went to the duo and pulled them apart.

“Jessica-ssi, Sunny-ssi, behave.” I scolded them and they obeyed like puppies to their owner. Who would’ve thought that it was possible for a mere secretary to do this to the big bosses? “Good. Now can you first tell me why I was being gossiped around the office?”

“They were talking about how gorgeous you were. They even described you as an angel sent to earth or a goddess or a princess.” Jessica-ssi explained. “I’ve always wanted to see the cause of all those talks myself, since the last time that happened was when they found out that I’m the CEO.” She said smugly only to be opposed by Sunny-ssi. “That so did not happen!”

Once again ignoring her, she continued. “Unfortunately though, I was very busy this couple of days that I failed to go with the plan but I have free time today and that’s why I’m here now.” She smiled and grabbed my hands swiftly surprising me. “And I must say, you did not disappoint my expectations. Can you be my bestfriend?”

She was even looking at me with puppy eyes and then I heard Sunny-ssi say, “Oh great! Now you don’t have a choice Yoona-ssi. Whether you like it or not she would start clinging on to you like some kind of leech.”

 

“And what she said was the truth. Since that day, I always found Sica Unnie popping out at my side unannounced like some mushroom.” I narrated smilingly as I gave him a glimpse of how my life was during those years. “Even when I left the company, she still went after me and here we are now. We became the best of friends and we became each other’s family.”

“All because you were beautiful?” Jiyong Oppa asked in amazement and I laughed since I had the same thought back then.

“We do think alike!” I declared. “But no. I asked her once for the reason and it turns out that I resembled her little sister who died in a car accident.” My tone became solemn at the thought of my Unnie’s dear little sister. It actually broke my heart when I heard about the story and that made me determined to become the best dongsaeng for her.

“So that’s why.” He said in recognition. “But if she’s the CEO of Jung&Lee that means she’s rich. No offense Yoong, but why stay here?”

I laughed in agreement. “No offense taken since I was thinking of the same thing. She actually offered me to stay at her place the moment she found out that I was living alone and since I was still adjusting to my current living condition, I had to take up the offer. When I got some money saved up, I moved out. Though I don’t want to get too much help from her, Sica Unnie is one of the most stubborn human beings on earth that I wasn’t able to do anything when she insisted that in my situation she needs to live with me no matter. So to make the long story short, she tagged along wherever I was.”

“Yoong, by any chance are you baby-sitting for Jessica-ssi that’s why you had to go home early?” He asked out of the blue.

Tilting my head in confusion I asked, “Baby-sitting? Why’d you ask?”

He nodded at the direction of the living room which was just at my back. “There’s a little girl who looks like she just got out of her nap with her hair disheveled, drawing or maybe writing something on the coffee table.”

---------------------

a/n: SURPRISE! Forgive me if there's no GYoon here but let's have a short break from GYoon and bask under the YoonSic feels! hehehe >3< I just miss these 2 so much... now you know why I had a hard time finishing this thing, I was stuck on this part when things happened LOL ANYWAY! What do you think about the last part? COMMENTS my loves! <3 <3 <3 ENJOY! (^_^)