When the lawyer meets the waitress...

Lost Future

It’s been a relaxing day inside the café. It wasn’t too crowded that I had no time to rest nor was it too empty that I had nothing to do. It was what I call a perfect business day.

I was just fixing the table that a group of 3 vacated when I heard the door chimes signaling that another customer came in. Stopping from wiping the table with a wet cloth, I turned to the newcomer and greeted.

“Welcome.” I bowed.

“Yoong.”

Quickly, I stood straight after hearing my name come from an unfamiliar voice. Or so I thought. After getting a clear view of his face, I knew I was right. It was unfamiliar in a sense that it has been years since I last heard it personally. It is him. That voice belonged to him.

I’m freaking stunned at his sudden arrival. It’s been too long. It’s been exactly 7 years and he’s here now, standing dashingly in front of me. But why does he look like that? He looks so down, like how he usually looks when he has something troubling him deeply.

Neither of us moved nor made a sound and we just stared at each other probably afraid that if we blink for even just a second the illusion will be gone and we’ll find ourselves standing alone, staring at nothing but air like how it always was in the past years.

“Yoona, would you be a dear and bring this carrot cake to table 7?”

I was jolted back to reality when I heard Yuri Unnie making an order and I realized where I was and what I should be doing. Right, I’m at work and I’ll have to deal with this later.

“Arasso Unnie! Just give me a sec.” I replied at her and looked apologetically at the one in front of me. “Should I get your order now so I can make it while I’m attending to the other customers?”

He smiled at me understanding that we’ll have to postpone our meeting. “You know what to order.”

“Alright. I’ll be back with it in a while.” I smiled knowingly and left.

Getting myself together, I took hasty steps towards the counter to serve the carrot cake and gave Yuri Unnie his order.

“Unnie, one cup of black coffee for table 8.”

And I took off to bring the carrot cake to table 7. On my way there, I can’t help but steal a glance at him. I quickly looked back to the customers when I saw him staring at me.

“Im Yoona get a hold of yourself. You’re not some teenage kid so stop acting like one.” I scolded myself.

In an attempt to calm down, I took a deep breath and started working again. I tried so hard not to be bothered by his presence but how is that even possible? Kwon Jiyong always has been a scene stealer. No matter where he is or what he does, he just gets everyone’s attention with that air of confidence surrounding him and well, who would forget about his charming good looks? Even Yuri Unnie gushed with how handsome he looks, especially with his sleek and crisp suit on.

I looked at the clock on the wall and saw that we still have 3 hours till we get off of work. How will I even get through these 3 hours with him just sitting there looking at me while I run about? He never changed that habit of his. He still doesn’t get how conscious and embarrassed I get every time he just stares at me whilst doing other things. What makes things worse is, that’s the same gaze that made me feel like I’m the only person he sees, like I’m the only important thing out there. He makes me extremely frustrated for doing it now, because he shouldn’t be. I know he shouldn’t.

Yul Unnie gave me his order and I brought it to his table.

“You didn’t change your preference did you?” I probed hoping that I got what he wanted correctly.

“Actually I did. I’m more into Caramel Macchiato now.” He informed while looking at me intently telling me the reason for the change. It was my favorite after all. “But it would be refreshing to have a taste of the all-time favorite again. Thanks.”

I gave him an awkward smile since I’m thinking of how funny it is that my new favorite drink is black coffee.

“Would you want anything else?” I asked trying to end the awkward encounter.

“Yes.” He said. “I want to talk to you.”

It came as a shock when he held my hand when he said that. The sudden skin contact made me shiver that I immediately retracted my hand back.

“I-I still have t-three more hours of shift. Let’s t-talk after.” I stuttered and he nodded.

“I’ll wait.”

“O-okay. Just call me or anyone from the staff if you need anything else. I’ll get going.”

And with that I went back to work and pretended that I’m perfectly fine. Truth is, it has been a long time since the last time my heart and my whole being has been in this kind of turmoil. Now, I’m not sure on how to handle this kind of emotions again.

 

 

3 hours has passed and thankfully it became busy in the café during those 3 hours. It didn’t give me time to think of what’s about to happen and it relaxed my mind a bit. But now that we’re closing, I have nothing to excuse myself from approaching and talking to him.

“Yoong.”

I was startled when he suddenly appeared from my back that I dropped my bag.

“Still a klutz.” He chuckled while helping me fix my things that scattered on the floor.

“Well I won’t be such a klutz if only someone didn’t scare me.” I said matter-of-factly.

After putting everything back in my bag, I stood up and so did he.

“Sorry for scaring you like that.” He said shyly while rubbing his nape.

I smiled at how cute he still looks when he’s shy. I guess even age has no effect on someone like Kwon Jiyong’s charms.

“No worries. It’s not like you didn’t always do that to me 7 years ago.”  I reminded not only him but the both of us.

It turned quiet for a minute since it seems like the both of us are going back to the memories of the past; memories that should have been long forgotten or at least have been buried.

“It’s been so long Yoong.”

“Yeah it is.”

We stood there in silence once again since no one knows what to say anymore. After all it’s been years since we last talked to each other. What could we probably talk about? The weather? I don’t think so.

To stop this awkward silence and to get things done and over with, I was the first one to speak up.

“About that talk, would you mind if we do that at home?” I suggested. “I really need to get home after work so it’s either that or some other time I guess.”

“It’s fine with me. We can talk there if that’s the case. Well that’s if it’s alright with you as well.”

“Of course it is! It’s rare for me to have a VIP as a visitor. It would be my honor.” I joked trying to get comfortable with him again and luckily it worked. His laughter was melody to my ears but my heart started aching while hearing it as well.

“It’s all set then. You better make sure this VIP gets the best visitor hospitality out there.”

“If it’s only hospitality we’re talking about then you’re looking at the best. But don’t be disappointed with the place, it’s kind of messy and small. So don’t expect too much Mr. BIG-SHOT-Lawyer.”

We laughed at our friendly banter and it feels so nice to be able to freely talk to him without being shy anymore. Just like the old times.

“I’ll just lock up and we can get going.” I told him as I started locking the doors.

As I was reaching for the metal roll up door, I felt his hands on my shoulders and made me step aside. He pulled it down with ease and made sure it was securely shut at the bottom.

“Where’s the padlock?” he asked with his hand open.

I handed it over to him and watched him crouch on the ground to place the lock. As always, he’s the perfect gentleman. This guy never changes. Still understanding and caring as ever. Can’t blame me for falling in love with someone like him right? I sighed and tried to shake the thought of it away.

After seeing him get up and straighten his suit, I looked away from him and started walking.

“Let’s go. My apartment’s just 2 blocks away.”

“Lead the way.” He said as he started walking beside me. 

-----------------------------

a/n: They finally met again! waaahhhh! Yoona's like a teenager with how she's acting around Jiyong! >/////< Did I make them meet too fast? I probably should have delayed it a bit more to keep you guys on your toes LOL LOVE LOTS! Comments PEOPLE! I want to react on what you think as well! hehehehe >_<