Rip off the paper more carefully, Namjoon ah. (NamHope)

BTS Short Stories Collection

Author's Note: Well, it's deeply influenced by this comic I saw a while back. NamHope's a pretty cute ship though.

BGM: Peppertones - Black Mountain

Sad to say, but I can't find the clear audio of thesong on youtube anymore. 


 

For some unknown reason, Hoseok lost his voice. Not in a metaphorical sense; his voice just wouldn't come out physically.

 

Namjoon's POV:

    "Huuuh?! How did that even happen?!" I exclaimed in confusion and irritation; the news of Hoseok being unable to speak left me shocked.

    Yoongi heaved a deep sigh and nochalantly spoke, "How the would I know. Well, there wasn't even a warning, it seems." He pointed at Hoseok who beaming with smiles, his hands moving around excitingly and his mouth gaping quickly; though no sound came out.

    The feeling of irritation get larger, and I yelled, "Stop moving your goddamn mouth!! I can only understand one-fifth of what you're trying to say!!"

    "You can actually understand?!" Seokjin-hyung yelped; you can tell that he's really shocked though.

    I looked around the classroom where we are currently at, and took a notebook from a table within my reach. I hurriedly tore a empty page and handed it to Hoseok, as he looked at me in slight confusion, "Here, write down what you want to say on this paper."

    Hoseok nodded his head and started to scribble something onto the paper.  I waited for his reply patiently. After a brief while, he took the paper and handed it to me.

    ['Rip off the paper more carefully, Namjoonie LOL]

   Oh you motherer. "Some people get on my nerves, bUT YOU MANAGED TO GET ON EVERY SINGLE ING ONE OF IT." I raised my voice as I grabbed him by the collar, he's really good at pissing people off.

   

    Well, we never did discover the cause, and there wasn't exactly any problem with him learning in class. So even after losing his voice, Hoseok continued on with his daily life. Though, there's just one stupid thing. Every time he kept flapping his mouth, and I tore a paper off for him, he'd only complain about how messily I did it. So I ended up getting him a small note pad from home for him to communicate. When I handed him the notepad, the expression he made was unforgettable since I had never seen it before; he held the note pad carefully in his hand as he smiled gently. For the first time in my life, I felt like I wanted him to speak. But well, whenever I say something, he will jot down his responses earnestly. When I saw him do that, I thought: Well, it isn't all that bad after all. Frankly speaking, I wasn't all that use to the quietness since he has been rambling on and on since we are children. 

    Still, we're in different classes so it's not like I can take care of him all th time. Once, when I peeked into his classroom from the hallway. The instant our eyes met, he made a troubled expression. It got on my nerves. In any case, it pissed me off so much, that I took him out of the classroom every single day from then on. Since it's hard to keep up the conversation with multiple through writing. 

 

    "Hoseok ah." I called out his name as we sat in the library.

    He turned around and faced me, clearly paying attention to what I was about to say.

    "You've constantly been in a good mood since you've stopped speaking."

    His mouth started gaping along with his arms that were wavering around in protest to my words. 'So mean.' He said.

    "Why are you so carefree about this? Shouldn't you be a little upset or worried?" I asked, it's been a week since his voice dsappeared physically.

    He looked at me and rubbed the pencil against his lips, then started to scribble his replies on the notebook that I had gotten him. He then slide the notebook to me. 

    [Namjoon's been really nice to me recently, that's why I'm happy. If I get into trouble by myself, Namjoonie will definitely come to get me. That's what's making me happy.] Hoseok wrote on his notebook.

    I look at him in annoyance, then said quietly, "But you're troubling me." 

    Hoseok looked at me with widened eyes and lowered his head; his grip on his pencil tightened as he remained seated. 

    I sighed and asked, "How did you even end up like this?"

    He didn't look up, instead he placed his head onto the table.

    "Oi, why are you lying down?" 

    Hoseok's grip on his pencil tightened as he nodded, though barely noticeable. 

    "Are you sleeping?" I asked, though it was obvious that I will not get any verbal reply from him. I heaved a deep sigh once again and ruffled the sleeping male's raven hair.

 

 

    Still, Jung Hoseok was unable to speak.The difficulties in communication that were small at first, gradually grew bigger as he ran into more and more troubles. 

 

 

    Hoseok pushed the small notebook into my sight: [I want to do it.]He tugged onto my shirt and started to nuzzle his head on my chest.

    "You've gotta be kidding me..." I mumbled.

    He held my hand up and started giving butterfly kisses on it, then looked up at me like a lost puppy. The lust and desire in his eyes were clear to see.

    I looked at him and silence and laid onto the bed behind me, "Come."

    He looked at me in surprise for a second, then dived down into my embrace, his breathing gradually gets more obvious as he held onto me with all of his might. It's troubling me.

    "Hoseok." Hahh. Huff. Ahhnn. "Hey." Hahh. "Hey..." No matter how much I called for him, there's no reply. When it's this dark, it feels like I'll lose track of where he is and let him slip away from the spaces between my fingers.

 

    I woke up with a shock, and saw that Hoseok had left the bedroom though his notebook was laying on top of my chest. He must be downstairs helping his mother with some housechores. I sat up and took a look at his notebook; it's a bad thing to intrude on other's privacy, but curiousity got the best of me.

    I flipped through the pages that had been slightly crumpled and saw many conversation he had made with other people. It's only obvious that he would 'talk' to other people aside from me. I wonder what they were talking about for Hoseok to write down ' cheese' though. 

    It's already pasr 8pm... I laid down onto Hoseok's bed and began to read through his conversation with others. 

    [I'm telling you, I really can't speeaaak!!]  He became annoying midway through writing, lol.

    As I flipped through the pages, I started to realize that Hoseok have so muchmore people he interact with, apart from me. It definitely makes sense since he has always been a cheerful person, but I can't help but feel a little sad.

    [I'm sorry mother, please don't cry.] What the heck, don't make your own mother cry!!

   I continued to read what he had written for his mother, and frankly speaking, I regret this decision. 

    [I'm totally telling the truth now, but at first my throat hurts so badly that I decided to play a 'I can't speak' prank on Namjoonie.] I am definitely gonna punch this piece of later on.

    [I thought I'll prank Namjoon for that one day.] Oh this motherer.

    [I'm sorry, really.]

    [But when I told him that I couldn't speak, he became so kind to me and I was so happy. The next day when I was about to surprise him by greeting him, my voice wouldn't come out.]

    It was at this moment that my eyes widened in shock. 

    [Sorry, please don't cry anymore. It willbe fine since Namjoon is here with me... I wonder what I'd do if he wasn't here with me.]

  

 

[Lately, I can't really remember how speaking felt like for me before.]

    

     

    I took the notebook along with me and stomped downstairs to find Hoseok. When I saw him, I slammed the notebook on the table and startled both Hoseok and his mother. "What is the meaning of this?" I hissed.

    "--!" He looked at the book frantically, as his whole body trembled.

    "It was supposed to be a prank at first, right?"

    He looked at me in a hurry and shook his head intensely, in an effort to clear up the misunderstanding. 

    "Cut it out already, Hell will freeze over if I babysit you again."

    "Namjoon!" Hoseok's mother called out. 

    "Sorry for the iterruption." I said before shecan continue to speak. 

    

    It's troubling.

  

    I hurriedly walk out of the room where they were at, and stomped towards the entrance. Of course, Hoseok followed behind me. His loud, frantic footsteps made my heart ache, is this necessary? He grabbed my wrist as his mouth open and close in panick.

    I turned around and lied,"... I don't understand what you are trying to say..."

    He held on desperately, but nothing came out.

    "I said... I DON'T UNDERSTAND HWAT YOU'RE SAYING!! THANKS FOR WHAT HAPPENED AND GOODBYE!!" I yelled and attempted to pull myself away from him.

    Hoseok's face contort with anger as he gave me tight slap on my left cheek. I looked at him coldly and turned away.

    

    I want to hear his voice. But the crappiest part of this whole is that I'm the reason why he can't speak. I want him to call my name with his warm voice, I want to hear his grumpy half- replies. I want to talk about so many things with him.

 

    I slammed the door closed and went back home. We didn't contact each other during the weekend.

 

  *

 

    For some reason, I left the house early on the tiring monday morning. The way to school is lonely without Hoseok by my side. I am pretty sure the volume of my music is rather high, but nothing went into my head. 

    Hoseok.

    Hoseok.

    Jung Hoseok.

    My mind's occupied with the thought of him.

    

    I slide open the door to Hoseok's classroom and saw him sitting in his assigned seat. He looked at me and quickly avoid my gaze once again. I walked towards him and spoke gently, "I'm really sorry about what happened before."

    Hoseok turned around, and our gaze finally met. 

    "Will you forgive me?"

    He nodded.

    "... Are you able to talk now?" I asked with concern.

    He shook his head.

    "Then... what are you gonna do about that?"

    He looked around the whole classroom for quite a few moments, so I asked, "Did you lost your notebook?"

    He nodded.

    A smile broke out on my face, as I sighed. "Still as careless as ever, aren't you?" I took out a notebook from my backpack and tore it quickly, I want to know what he's gonna reply to me. I handed the paper to him, and await his response.

    He grinned as he saw the paper, and lifted his head to face me. "Rip off the paper more carefully, Namjoon ah."

    I looked at him in shock, and not sure if it was reality or if I'm dreaming. 

    He chuckled, "Sorry for all the troubles I had caused you, Namjoon ah." 

    The tears started to form in the corner of my eyes, and I mumbled, "You can speak now..?"

    "Isn't that obvious?" His face beamed as he looked at me warmly.

    I lowered my head as the tears started to roll down my cheeks, "... Sorry. I'm really sorry."

    "It's fine, you're worried for me after all." He said and put his arms over me, letting me in his embrace. "Though you were really harsh previously."

    "Sorry..." I could only mutter apologies in this timing, what else can I say? "You're really horrible for doing that..."

    "Geez, don't say that." He ruffled my head and comforted me as I sobbed my heart out, "But... I know that you love me for being noisy, isn't it right?"

    "... you're the worst..." I choked out my words in between my sobbings.

      "I know. But, if you call out to me, there's no way I wouldn't dash over to you from where I'm at."

    I nuzzled my head closer to his chest and the tears continue to fall.

 

    "... Me too." I responded.