Milk: part 2 (JiHope)

BTS Short Stories Collection

//I felt like writing a sequel for Milk, so I did. 

I have never seen anyone fell asleep in the kitchen before tbh


Jimin's POV:

  Ever since the day that I broke up with Jungkook, there's been a few changes to my daily life. During lunch and dinner, I often spend my time with either my close friends studying in the same college as I do, or I spend my time alone. There were so many instances where I was always with Jungkook in the past, but now it felt like all of those had never ever happened before.  Now that I have lost Jungkook, my mind is no longer bounded by him. However the hatred towards myself and the fear of being alone is slowly creeping into my mind, and there seems to be no way to eliminate them. But other than that, there was not much disruptions to my life. Things are just like usual: going to school, having a meal, sleeping.

  However, there's just one thing that changed drastically. On the day that I broke up with Jungkook, I had with an upperclassman that I was sharing the flat with. The guilt of using him to comfort myself is still gripping onto me, but I could not bring myself to stop. What was initially a healthy relationship between Hoseok-hyung and I soon turned into a tainted one. Despite his silent protest, he still lost to his desires and ended up embracing me for a couple number of times. Don't be mistaken; we are not lovers but we are not friends either. We just happened to fall into a convenient relationship. It was much easier to talk to him back when everything was in its right order. Right now as our relationship stands, I can no longer understand him no more. The way his eyes looked whenever he thought no one was looking at him: they drove me crazy. That fleeting sense of loneliness caught me off guard, but it always vanish without a trace whenever I wanted to make sure. Not that I have any rights to dig too deep, I am just his underclassman after all. 

  

*

 

  One day in school, I accidentally intruded on a private moment. It was a girl, probably in the same year as I am. Judging by the awkward silence and strange atmosphere, it is definitely a confession. As bad as it sounds, I hid myself out of plain sight and eavesdropped. I watched the girl fidget around and conffessed shyly, "I... am in love with you. Please go out with me, Hoseok-sunbaenim."

  I was so caught up with the girl's gesture that I didn't take notice of the other party at all, my eyes instantly turn to the other guy and surely enough, it was Hoseok-hyung. 

  Hoseok-hyung ruffled his hair, and replied, "I'm sorry. But, there is someone else that I like." 

  The girl's head lowered and she started trembling uncontrollably; she must be crying. Hoseok-hyung could only stood at the side, and repeatedly mutter apologies to her. Frankly speaking, forcing your feelings onto someone else is selfish. Not only do they have to apologise for not feeling the same way, they also have to take the trouble to comfort the other one who is hurting. It just makes no sense at all. I left before anyone realised my presence.

  Hoewver, I can't help but wonder to myself: who is the girl that captured his heart?

 

-

 

J-Hope's POV:

  I have been doing quite a lot of thinking. About myself, my future, and about Jimin. I did not know when and how, he just occupied my every thoughts and my heart without a warning. Whenever I close my eyes, Jimin's face would come into mind. Despite my countless attempts to stop, all I could think about when I drift off to sleep is Jimin. All sorts of fantasies flooded my mind, and yet they vanished without another trace whenever I wake up. Lately, I can't seem to picture a future where Jimin is not in my life. 

  "Hoseok-hyung, come and make dinner." Jimin called out, I must have been too deep in my thoughts to not hear him opening the door just now. 

  I stood up from my seat and walked out to the kitchen, and saw Jimin placing everything to their respective cabinets and fridge. What caught my attention was the cartons of milk on the counter top. I walked towards Jimin and confronted him, "You are buying milk again, are you sure you are alright? Are you still hurt over what happened with Jungkook?" I questioned Jimin; I know sounded way too involved and I hated it. But I couldn't help it, Jimin is changing too much for my comfort.

  Jimin looked at me and was taken aback by my aggresive words, but managed to reply. "I am still hurting over him. However I am definitely making progress in getting over him." Jimin said as he folded the groceries bag neatly. "Lately, I don't hate milk as much as I did in the past." he mumbled. His downcast eyes are as beautiful as ever.

  "Isn't that too sudden? You hated milk ever since your childhood, and you can just overcome this dislike in such a short period of time?" My words burst out, for some strange reason I could not control my temper. "Sorry, but that's just too absurd."

  Jimin seems surprise, he hesitated for a few moment before speaking again, "Well... Didn't you hear it before? Milk is an ancient remedy to heal burns and injuries. so just take it that I am curing my heart from the heartbreak alright? Plus I'm trying to get just a little bit taller." He chuckled, seemingly trying to brighten up the atmosphere. "You are being too protective of me already, Hoseok-hyung."

  I felt a hard throb in my chest; his words triggered some deep yet unknown emotions inside of me. 

  "I am being protective because it's you." I said as I grabbed onto his wrist, but felt the feelings of regret creeping into me.

  Jimin looked at me in shock for a brief moment, but returned to how he was before. He gently brushed off my hand and spoke, "Let's just prepare for dinner first, I'm starving." I did not push the matter any further, and nodded as I got down to work, wishing that he would have given me a proper response to these words that spilled out unexpectedly. 

  After we have finished our dinner, Jimin told me that he had some work to finish and locked himself in his bedroom. While I sat still at the dining table, and stared into space as I drift off to sleep. 

*

  When I opened my eyes, the light in the dining room was switched off. I sat up straight and felt a blanket slipped from my shoulders; Jimin must have placed it on me. I yawned and take a look at the microwave's clock, and realised that it was 3 in the morning. I folded the blanket neatly and proceeded to place it on the living room's couch. The light in Jimin's bedroom is still switched on, so I decided to check on him to see how his progress was. As I walked closer to the bedroom, I can hear some faint yet muffled voice from within. Worried that he was facing some difficulties and having a mental breakdown or something, I hurriedly pushed the door open and called out, "Jimin ah, are you alright--" I stopped dead in my track and burned the sight into my eyes. It was seriously something that I have fantasized in my dreams so many times: With his flushed face and half-shut eyes, anyone can tell that he was indulging in a private session since he was in a comprimising position. I can feel my face heating up, and my stomach churned. His eyes widened and he hurriedly pulled up his pants, then proceede to rush out of the room. I held onto him the moment he tried to exit the room, "Why are you escaping?" I asked. 

  "... Are you an idiot? You just caught me , I'm so embarrassed I could ing die." Jimin hissed at me, as his face grew hotter as the time dragged on. 

  "...Right." I answered, that was a pretty stupid question. "I won't judge you about that, but can we talk? Like, right now?"

  He hesitated for a while, but agreed as he went inside his room once again. I stood still at the doorway and quickly scanned the room: while everything was neatly organised, his papers were all over his working desk, and more than 5 bottles of milk littered the floor. I felt my forehead crease, but kept quiet for now. "I know you have been trying to avoid this topic ever since it happened, but are you sure you are alright? I felt like you have been forcing yourself to do things that you weren't comfortable with before, and you have been going through more and more unstable phases than you did when you were still together with him." 

  Jimin sat still on his bed and remained silent. 

  "Why won't you tell me the truth?" I probed further.

  "Why do you even care so much?" 

  As much as it pains me, I still said it, "Because I am your friend,, and I'm truly concerned about you."

  I watched in confusion as he chuckled; his crescent eyes and slightly upturned lips made me fell for him all over again. "But friends don't sleep with one another." His cold gaze pierced through me, "You are my hyung, but you don't seem to understand the limit of your position. As much as I appreciate your effort to cheer me up, but you have been going too far." 

  "You should divert all this unnecessary attention to the person you like, like how you told that girl you can't accept her feelings because you have--" Jimin's hand hurriedly covered his  mouth but he was too late as I realised that he was eavedropping. 

  "Why do you know about that?" I questioned, clearly showing my disdain at Jimin for intruding on my privacy.

    "I accidentally heard it when I walked past," He looked guilty for a moment, "Back to the topic, just give all this attention to that girl."

  "It wasn't a girl." I mumbled. 

  "Anyways, I am doing fine. Just go out now, you are causing my lower body a problem ever since you intruded on my private moment." He hushed and tried to chase me out. 

  "Then, let me take responsibility." I said and pushed Jimin onto the bed, "Help me out too, alright?

  

*

 

Jimin's POV: 

   Just like always, I watched as Hoseok cleaned me up carefully while he just hastily put on his clothes. He took the bottle of milk on my desk and passed it to me, asking me to hydrate myself. Just as he was about to leave the room, I spoke out, "Are we really going to keep doing this?" 

  For some reason, Hoseok just smiled a little and gently said, "Why can't we?"

  "What do you mean? You have plenty of people to go to."

  "But this is the only way I can hold onto you." 

  "Huh?"

  "I'm sorry, but you are the person that I like."

  "What are you talking about..?" Hoseok's words knocked the breath out of me, as the confusion and disbelief gradually sets in. 

  "Now that I think about it, let's just end this." He said and left the room.

  I remained sitted on my bed as I watched his figure disappear, and then hearing him leave the apartment. Despite everything that had happened, I couldn't bring myslf to stop him from leaving. Looking at the bottle of milk in my hands, I unscrewed the cap and took a sip. 

  It's getting brighter outside.