The Glow from within My Chest (NamJin)

BTS Short Stories Collection

*Not a native speaker, so the grammar . Prompt from tumblr. *

Jin’s POV:

    The world is a tiring place. The society is full of judgmental creeps, hypocritical adults and apathetic people. The earth is still a sad and terrible place. The living world stinks of evil schemes and people who are corrupted with selfish thoughts.

   

    Well, it isn’t always bad things that happened: there are wonderful things and kind people that exist even in this cruel world too. There are many examples I can give about the wonders of the world: like kindness, generosity, and many more things. Again, that’s not the point. What I want to focus on in the topic of love. Love: a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person. A feeling of warm personal attachment or affection towards a particular someone.

 

    In this world, things are a little bit special for the people who have met their special someone. When one has found their soul mate, a warm and bright glow will ignite from within the person and their fated one’s ribcage. The light is not like any common light rays out there: it felt comforting and warm. The iridescent light will keep on shining until the pair had realized that they were fated for one another. From the moment one has seen this light, their life would change.

 

    ‘It sure feels nice to have a special someone.’ I thought to myself and sighed, ‘My life .’ I pushed up my glasses and continued to walk down the hallway. “I really want someone to love and care about me.” I mumbled.

 

    Just then, a taller blonde appeared in front of me and shoved me in te shoulder. I winced from the sudden shot of pain , then looked up to see who it was. How I wished I could have buried myself into a hole.

 

    “Yah Kim Seokjin, what’s with your tendency to talk to yourself? You will look really creepy and weird if you keep doing that. Well you are already disgusting and gross the way you are now.” The blonde male mocked.

 

    “Let me go, N-Namjoon.” I tried to keep my voice calm, but stuttered halfway unfortunately. So much for trying to look tough, Christ.

 

    “Stuttering now, aren’t you?” Weak little bunny like you have no right to talk back to me.” Namjoon chuckled, then spoke again, but in a deeper and dangerous voice, “That’s why I will make you suffer, since you don’t seem to know the consequences of offending me.”

 

    I shivered and prepared for a beating. No matter how many times had I experienced this, I still could not get use to it. The throbbing pain that comes after it, the bruises that turns darker as time passes by. On better days, I got by with a few cuts and bruises. On bad days, I got a broken and swollen nose, a black eye, and a huge patch of bruise on my stomach. Kids can be cruel and terrifying, they went too far to show their superiority. It saddens me about the fact that even if I went back home with a swollen cheek or broken rib, my parents and brother would be too busy to even notice that I was suffering greatly in the “safe haven” called school.

 

    Namjoon threw a punch straight across my cheekbones, and my body fell on the floor with a loud thud just like a doll. I endured the pain. I endured everything without complaints. After all, I deserved it fro angering the “King” of the school. It seems like Namjoon was in a pretty good mood today, so I got away with a swollen cheek and a cut around the corners of my mouth.

 

    “Please don’t call me in such a familiar way next time, okay?” He said and gave me a smile, a dangerous and threatening one. “Bye Seokjin.” Namjoon said and walked away with his clique of douchebag friends.

 

    It’s the same thing everyday; Namjoon would beat me up for the littlest problem and sometimes for no apparent reason. I had become his personal sandbag, but what choice do I have than to obey others? The strong leads, and the weak obeys: that’s how the world process. The school is just a careless cage that the adults placed their children into.  It is just another mini society.

 

    “I hope that this tiresome daily life would change soon.” I mumbled to myself.

 

*

 

    I opened the door to the old and somewhat rusty locker. My belongings such as textbooks and gym attire greeted me. I took out my clothes and dumped my shirt into the cramp space. I took a piece of bandage and placed it on my swollen cheeks.

 

    Just then, I heard a loud bang right at the side of my left ear. I looked at the owner of the fist and began to tremble in fear.

 

    “Hey, let’s have fun again, little bunny.” It was Namjoon. The sight of the taller male sent e shivering, tears were b at the corner of my eyes.

 

    “P-please don’t…” I begged, my arms helplessly limped at the side of my body.

 

    Namjoon grabbed onto my hair and leaned in closer, “No."

 

    Tears flowed out unwillingly from my eyes. I shut my eyes tight while I get mentally prepared for the next blow.

 

    Instead of a hard fist to my body, I felt something warm in my chest. I opened my eyes and saw my chest flickering. An ethereal glow from within my chest.

 

    “E-eh?” I mumbled.

 

    “Y-your chest is lit up…” Namjoon said in surprise.

 

    The next moment, an iridescent glow lit up within Namjoon’s chest. The bright light blinded the two of us for a brief moment.

 

    I looked at Namjoon in confusion, and then looked back at my chest. He looked at me with a blank expression on his face, and then back to his chest. Even amongst the bright light from our chest, I can still see his slightly flushed face.

 

    He opened his mouth and said, “T-that means we are…”

 

    Just before he finished his sentence, the two of us realized what had happened. “OH HELL NOOOO!!” we yelled. I can feel blood rushing to my cheeks, and my heart is beating like mad.

 

    I wanted a change in my life, BUT I DIDN’T MEAN IT THIS WAY.