Chapter 7

Sweep Me off My Feet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I closed my eyes.

 

Why did I close my eyes?

 

A question that haunts me while I wait for her to pick me up. Yesterday when Seulgi leaned in I closed my eyes, didn't push her away or scold her, no, instead I closed my eyes and when her lips landed on my cheek I was so surprised I literally gasped out loud. Was I expecting something else to happen? No, that can't be it.

 

I just didn't know how to react to the sudden act, yeah that's it, she was so close I froze and had a hard time pushing her away. I mean, I always get uncomfortable when she gets too close so it makes perfect sense.

 

Let's stick with that.

 

There's another thing concerning me at the moment. My mom. She can be so embarrassing and today is no exception, when I told her I was going over to Seulgi's to study I could see the playful smirk growing on her face.

 

“I need to talk to her first.” She said acting like a protective mother but with a spark in her eyes like a little kid. Seulgi looked like she was going to die yesterday after the incident, in fact, she barely talked to me at school, she just left a note on my locker and a bar of chocolate as an apology for being so reckless as the note attached to it said.

 

Seulgi.

 

Seulgi.

 

Seulgi.

 

The more I know her the more confused I get, she says she won't do anything I don't want to with this sweet and caring tone of voice but still gets dangerously close to me every chance she gets, always demand kisses and blatantly checks me out from time to time...and not to forget her sleazy comments like how she's going to eventually see my room wearing that smirk on her face.

 

I don't know what to think of her, is she sweet, is she a ert? Both? Maybe I'm the one who's making everything complicated, she did say she liked me because she found me hot, there's nothing serious or romantic in that.

 

And why do I care about her intentions? Is not like I like her…

 

“You seem stressed.” My mom comments. “Don't worry, I won't do anything to your girlfriend.”

 

“She's not my girlfriend.” I say through my teeth, how many times do I have to say it? Why do people keep insisting on pairing us up? “With her reputation, I thought you'd be worried about me, for all you know she's a player.” With the way she casually says how girls are all over her I don't doubt it.

 

“Oh she doesn't seem the type.” She smiles. “You were never fond of gossiping so you don't know much about her like the rest of...well like everybody else. Trust me, if she was bad I would know. This is a small town after all.”

 

“I feel like you're giving me away.”

 

“You act like you don't like her.”

 

“I don't like her.” I deny with a high pitched tone, I don't like her.

 

“So you get caught in compromising positions with all you acquaintances? Now that's worrisome.”

 

“Mom pleas-”

 

“Do I really have to talk to your mom?” A message arrives distracting me from my mom.

 

“Yes, don't be a coward.”

 

“I'm not a coward!”

 

“Then ring the doorbell. I know you're outside.” Not a second later she does as I said, my mom stops me from going over open the door and goes do it herself.

 

“A mother always knows.” She says to me before opening the door.

 

“G-Good evening.” A startled Seulgi says on the other side, I can't help but notice her attire for tonight, with her white button up, black skinny jeans and black boots. It looks like she took the time to make herself presentable for the occasion. “Thank you for having me.” She combs her hair with her hand nervously and quickly searches for my eyes asking me to save her.

 

A thought passes by my mind seeing her swift on her feet bitting her lips.

 

Cute.

 

“Well if it isn't K-Kang Seulgi.” Her cheeks turn pink in an instant and her gaze lowers. “Come in, come in.”

 

“Hi Irene, I brought this.” She says doing a little jog and handling me a cardboard box. “It's carrot cake.” She grins, I lower my eyes to her lips and my cheeks turn pink matching with Seulgi's, I take the box from her and quickly go to our small dining table avoiding eye contact with the playful girl or my smirking mom.

 

“That's her favorite.” My mom says walking Seulgi to the table and pinching my arm.

 

“I know.” She sounds so proud to say that despite her shyness.

 

“Seulgi!” Yeri comes running and tackles the girl in a hug who quickly catches her and lifts her up in the air spinning on her feet making the little girl laugh, I see Seulgi holding her tight and talking in Yeri's ear before putting her down leaving the little girl smiling with shining eyes.

 

She really really is great with kids, goddamn.

 

It's not working on me, Kang Seulgi.

 

“Yeri, I need to talk to your friend in private ok? After this, we can do whatever you want.” She gives my little sister a kiss. “Take a seat, girls.” My mom commands. Yeri runs and high fives Seulgi before disappearing. Seulgi stares at the sitting arrangements for a few seconds before taking the spot next to me right in front of my mother, I see her clutch her jeans underneath the table. “I'm glad you could join us tonight, Seulgi.” My mom says going to the kitchen to look for the tea for our little meeting.

 

“Do I have another choice?” She mutters almost inaudibly.

 

“Coward.” I say bumping my shoulder into hers.

 

“What have you told your mother?” She quickly asks leaning into me looking nervous. “About me.”

 

“I told her how you're pursuing me just because you think I'm hot.” I say seriously. “Oh, and how you tricked me into accepting going on a date with you.”

 

“Wha- seriously? And that's so not how it happened!”

 

“Are you an idiot? I didn't tell her anything, there's nothing to tell anyway.” I laugh quietly at her discomforted expression, she looks so troubled I feel the need to pat her leg a couple of times for reassurance. Why is she so nervous?

 

“Since you're taking my daughter to your place at night without my supervision I thought it was...appropriate to get to know you better.” My eyes widen at her implication while Seulgi chokes on her own saliva surprised by my mother's sudden appearance.

 

“Mom really?” I whine once again, I understand why she has doubts though, no matter what I say or do a picture says more than a thousand words and yesterday's incident sure painted quite the picture, it's not like teenagers are the most sincere bunch of people.

 

“It's ok, I understand.” Seulgi politely says sitting up straight.

 

“I have a question for you.” My mom says more seriously now making Seulgi tense up in an instant. “How can you be a basketball player when you're so so so tiny?” I snicker hearing the serious tone while the girl beside me blinks slowly processing the words.

 

“I don't need height.” I can her strained ego in her voice. “I'm the point guard.” She says more surely now as if she said something amazing.

 

“What's a point guard?” This time I ask tilting my head, Seulgi faces me with a concealed smile looking pleased by my newfound interest in her passion.

 

Don't get ahead of yourself, I'm just making conversation.

 

“It means I have to control the ball and make sure it gets to the right players at the right time.” She eloquently says finishing with a proud smile. “The more effective I am the more points we get.”

 

“Yeah, I remember you being all over the place.” My mom laughs. “To be honest with you I don't get the sport that much, Yeri tries to make me understand it, did you know she wants to be like you?”

 

“I've heard.” Seulgi finally dares to meet my mom's gaze.

 

“She has this newspaper article of you glued to her closet and everything.” Seulgi smiles happily hearing this. “So I want you to be a good example for her when she's around, do you understand?”

 

“Yes ma'am.” Oh mom that ship sailed long ago when she taught her how to lie and bought her favors with game tickets.

 

“About my other daughter.” She continues, this time I'm the one who tenses up. “Why do you have to meet at night to study?”

 

Seulgi takes a few moments before answering looking like she's trying hard to remember something “Um, because I have practice after school and I'm always too tired to go straight to study with her in the library and since I need to pass every exam in order to play in the tournament, I had the idea of studying at night to make the best of our time.” She says this in one go and finishes taking a deep breath, my mom and I look at each other amused, did she rehearsed all that?

 

She would.

 

“It seems you have everything figure out.”

 

“I'll make sure to bring her back early and I promise we'd only study.”

 

“Of course you'd only study, what e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter