Chapter 8

Because of You

Your POV

"Please consider your daughters" my dad said.

"What?!" Yejun jumped from his seat. I bit my lip as my dad suprisingly looked at him.

There was murmur amongst the guests, but no one moved. Finally, my dad slightly laughed and told the guests to relax. Everyone dispersed.  He then whispered something to Yejun and they left to his office.

Krystal and Seunghyun were asking me what was going on. "Honestly, I don't know." I replied blankly.

After a while, Krystal was called over by her mom and Seunghyun had to go greet everyone, so I trudged towards Henry. He hadn't moved from his spot, not even to pick up his phone. "Henry-ah... you okay?" I asked, concerned.

He turned to me. "Noona, what's going on?" I shook my head, indicating that I had no idea either.  Annabel, one of my personal maids, came over.

"Miss, your father wants you and Henry in his office."

Henry and I looked at eachother then followed.

"This is absurd! He's only in high school! Getting him married so fast isn't going to build his future." my mom was arguing with my dad. Yejun said absolutely nothing.

My dad sighed, "I know that. I'm not telling him to get married right after he gets out of school. Don't you want him to have a wife? And kids when he's ready?"

"Well, when he's ready, he can figure that out on his own. You can't just decide things like this for him." She intently stared at him, "There's no need for any of this."

"I-I agree!" Henry suddenly yelled. We all looked at him. "U-um.. hyung's too young to even think about a wife and kids. What's next, are you going to find some stranger for _____ to marry too?"

"Henry..." Yejun and I whispered.

"No, of course it's not like that at all." my dad replied, "I'm just preparing Yejun for the world."

"So? Having an arranged wife is what you call 'prepared for the world'?" he retorted.

"I'm just taking care of one thing he doesn't have to. And why are you so persistant that he doesn't get a fiance, Henry?"

Henry looked at my dad in disbelief. "Because he's my brother. He obviously doesn't want a fiance, so I'm protecting him."

"Well I'm your father and I say that a fiance is something Yejun needs to get out of his way, so he doesn't have to worry about it in the future."

"W-well maybe he doesn't need one! He can go lonely."

What? I looked at Henry. He glanced at me and lightly shrugged.

My dad looked at Henry funny, "Lonely? I thought you were protecting him. Don't you want him to come home to someone? Don't you want someone by his side all the way?"

It grew quiet. None of us knew what to say.

"We'll always be here." I finally said. "We will the ones always by his side. He doesn't need a wife because he has us. We're family too, you know?"

My dad sighed again. "It's.. not the same. Look, we'll talk about this another time, okay? We still have guests out there and this can't go on all night." He walked out.

My mom looked at us and smiled gratefully. She ruffled Henry's hair and followed my dad.

"So what are you going to do?" Henry asked Yejun. There was no reply.

"I meant what I said. We'll always be here to help." I said. This time, he just nodded and left.

My shoulders slumped.

"Noona, I don't want another sister."

I slightly chuckled. We left to go continue the party.

"_____-ah!" Krystal called. She was panting.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

She shook her head, "Nothing, but some one's looking for you."

I looked up to see Kan walking towards me.

'Uh.. gotta go!" Krystal sqeaked.

"Hey _____!" He smiled. I gulped.. that smile..

I waved. "You're here too?"

He nodded, "Is this your place?"

"Yeah, we're celebrating my brother's return."

He looked at me and chuckled, "_____-ah, I was here 20 minutes ago, I know what's really happening."

"Oh.." I meekly smiled, "Sorry...'

"It's okay," he continued to smile, "But is your brother okay?" I looked down. "Are.. you okay?" I shook my head.

We sat down and he comforted me. "I'm sure everything will turn out fine. Your dad seems like a sensable person." He assured. I appreciated it. We continued to talk about millions of things, and soon I forgot all about what had just happened. Before I knew it, it was almost midnight.

Daniel, our butler, came over and told Kan to go home. I walked him out.

Before I could say bye, Kan asked, "____-ah, we're friends right?"

I tilted my head. He scratched the back of his head. "Well.. we just spent an hour talking about random things, and .. " he stared at me, then turned around. It seemed like he was breathing really hard. I laughed a bit. Suddenly he turned back, "Are we?"

I giggled. "Sure, we can be friends." He grinned widely. "Good night, Kan." I waved as he started walking away.

"Oh wait, I forgot to give you something." I turned back to find him right in my face.

He held out my pencil that I let him borrow. I grabbed it. "Thanks again!" He ran off.

I smiled. But as I turned back into my house, I felt a strange presence. The stalker music came back on. What IS that? I turned my head side to side, but there was no one to be seen. I was still suspicious, but walked in anyway, playing with my pencil.