all it takes is a smile from you to keep me up all night

i'll be yours if you'll be mine

Pairing: wheesa

Rating: PG

Word count: 1,930


 

She watches amused, as always. Her dark brown eyes taking in the sight in front of her. Pushing a strand of blonde hair behind her ear, Ahn Hyejin stares amused at the girl - a cafe's regular - taking a sip from the coffee she had prepared.

The girl whose hair was the color of the caramel Hyejin often added to the customers drinks, took another sip from the black coffee before swallowing softly - a bitter expression soon appeared on the girl's face before she grabbed her pen and continued writing into her notebook, papers strewn all over the table.

The girl was adorable.

Hyejin had come to realize throughout the many times she had come into the cafe often being the one to attend this cute shortie. Hyejin really didn't know her age but she looked quite young, maybe a few years younger than Hyejin herself. But she wasn't so sure.

The girl, Wheein - as she often told her as Hyejin took to making her order before soon scribbling the name on the cup - was really something.

Wheein used to come in, in the early morning often ordering a hot chocolate with a chosen piece of bread but recently (Hyejin found this quite odd) Wheein took to ordering a plain black cup of coffee.

It was a bit strange since Wheein never finished her cup and whenever she took a sip she would do these weird faces that Hyejin often looked forward to - as they more often than not, made her morning.

She continued watching her silently.

The usual busy cafe now conveniently less so. The soft music continued playing as Wheein grabbed the cup once more and brought it up to her lips before taking a calculated sip. Her face soon contorted into that similar to one a person a lime.

Hyejin had to suppress a smile as Wheein looked around the cafe in confusion before returning to her writing.

She found this version of Wheein quite endearing and she really wanted to be her friend but the girl never made a show of wanting to talk to her beside that of telling her her order.

She heard the soft ringing of the bells above the door indicating a new customer and soon Hyejin stood up properly before smiling at the person walking to the counter.

Hyejin recognized this girl as Wheein's friend, often seeing them studying together in the cafe or just talking casually.

"Hello. What will you be having?"

The taller girl smiled kindly and replied, "A vanilla latte would be okay and two chocolate chip cookies, as well."

Hyejin prepared the other girl's order earnestly before finishing and turning to face the bright smile of the girl whose name she registered as Byulyi, before handing her her order and watching as the girl took a seat in front of Wheein.

"Wheein-ah~"

Wheein looked up only to face a chocolate chip cookie facing her and she pouted before shaking her head, not giving in to Byulyi's administrations before trying to put on a poker face but failing.

"I don't want it. I'm studying."

Byulyi laughed before leaning in closer and whispering into the space between them, "I can't believe you honestly believed me. You know I was just kidding, I really don't know."

Wheein glanced up, "But unnie, maybe it's true. Maybe she only sees me as a cute person... I'm not like that though~"

Byulyi took a sip from her coffee meanwhile staring at Wheein's pouting lips and heartfelt expression as she tried to persuade her that she wasn't cute at all.

"Sure, you're not."

Wheein only pouted before sipping her coffee and pulling a ridiculous face and Byulyi laughed.

"I honestly think you should approach her just the way you are, Wheein-ah."

Wheein quickly looked up before flicking Byulyi's forehead, "Are you insane! Have you even seen her, I'm pretty sure I'm not her type. She's so... so grown-up! And I look like a child compared to her. I don't think she'll be interested. Are you even sure she's into girls?"

Byulyi sighed before sneaking a glance at Hyejin who was doodling into a napkin as her head bobbed to the quiet rhythm of the song and as she was about to turn around, Byulyi noticed that the girl looked up and over at Wheein with a small smile gracing her lips.

She turned to Wheein and spoke softly, "Maybe, I dunno..." She trailed off as she saw Wheein sneak a glance at the barista before she sighed and glanced at Byulyi with a tinge of sadness covering her eyes and a small pout.

"She keeps glancing over here, though... I dunno if it amounts to anything but I've seen her staring at you before, when we're together."

"Maybe she finds us weird."

Byulyi laughed before replying, "Yeah, maybe..."

Wheein looked up offended before throwing a paper ball at Byulyi's face, "Yah!"

Byulyi heard a small chuckle and she turned to see a smiling Hyejin covering as she tried to stifle a full on laugh.

"I'm pretty sure she does~" Byulyi teased.

Wheein turned to face Hyejin who caught her gaze and smiled kindly at her and soon a blush adorned Wheein's cheeks before she looked away in embarrassment.

"You're so mean to me, unnie."

-

Wheein pushed through the door and entered the cafe with a smile, she had come here on a mission and she would not back down.

(Not again at least)

She had promised herself that she would talk to Hyejin and this time really talk to her.

The last time she said that she would - all that had come out was incoherent words and weird noises as she had stared into those piercing eyes and all thoughts were wiped clean from her head.

Hyejin could only smile at her and that was all it took for Wheein to make a fool of herself in front of her crush as she had dropped her cup of coffee and as she tried to recover it, her head had collided with the countertop.

Hyejin had quickly rushed to her side and helped her up.

Wheein couldn't come in the cafe in over two whole weeks after that incident.

(Fourteen days without seeing Hyejin's smile.)

She now stood in front of the other girl who had a warm smile on her lips and Wheein was sure her knees had buckled, it was a good thing she had been leaning against the countertop for support.

(See, she came in prepared.)

"Long time no see," Hyejin said kindly, her velvety voice sending goosebumps all over Wheein's body.

"Ah... hi."

Wheein wanted to smack herself upside the head at her inability to speak words. Something as easy as that. What a failure, at least she didn't do anything embarrassing this time. Well at least not yet, Wheein hoped nothing would happen though.

"Black coffee, right?" Hyejin asked, already knowing the answer to that question.

"Yeah."

Hyejin prepared her order and soon handed her her coffee and Wheein quickly paid before sitting at her usual table before taking out her notebook and a few books.

She prepared herself mentally before taking a small sip from her coffee and pulling a face at the bitterness but did not back down as she took on a full gulp.

She did not like it one bit.

She sighed before picking up her pen and proceeded to write out a beginning of her report.

Minutes later she found herself struggling and growing stressed because she couldn't find the right words to describe the theory she had planted beforehand, at class earlier this morning.

It didn't help one bit that the coffee was bitter - Wheein was sure that after consuming all that coffee she was also beginning to become just as bitter - if not more.

She groaned before tearing the page out of her notebook and pushing a hand through her hair in frustration.

She was so not in the mood for this.

As she was about to pick up her things and leave before a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows was placed in front of her, accompanied by three chocolate chip cookies.

Wheein looked up only to be met with Hyejin's warm smile as the other girl took a seat in front of her and all Wheein could do was stare at her, completely awestruck.

Hyejin smiled at Wheein's incredulous expression before pushing the cup further, garnering Wheein's attention for a split second before her eyes trailed up those hands to see Hyejin's smile.

"You seem to be really stressed and I well, l when I'm feeling like that something sweet always manages to calm me down and I just... I thought it'd help you. Umm, yeah... I just - yeah..."

Wheein smiled in gratitude before taking a spoon and dipping it inside the chocolate before scooping up a few marshmallows and eating them. She instantly felt so much better.

"Thanks ~ it's really delicious~ I'll drink it well~"

Hyejin smiled before looking down a bit embarrassed before looking up and staring at the other girl's expression. It was so different than as to when she would drink the plain black coffee.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, anything!"

Hyejin looked a bit unsure before speaking softly grabbing the ends of her long sleeved shirt and tugging them over her fingertips, suddenly feeling shy and a bit unsure.

"You're really short and cute -" Hyejin had started, a blush already adorning her cheeks before Wheein interjected.

"I'm not!" Wheein felt her heart swelling at those words before she looked down in embarrassment, "I'm not cute..."

"Well I think you are, and you buy black coffee every time you come inside only to make weird faces as you drink it. And you never quite finish it... are you trying to look mature?"

Wheein suddenly feel herself choking on the cookie before she grabbed the hot chocolate and took a quick sip, clearing Wheein answered, feeling a bit self-conscious.

"I... honestly - yeah." She answered dejectedly before she spoke once more, "People always say that I'm cute and that I'm adorable and that I don't act my age and yeah, I wanted to look more mature..."

Hyejin laughed softly but not at Wheein, "I think that just makes you all the more cuter."

"Ah, please stop saying those things..."

"Honestly, I think you're really pretty and cute. I often look forward to seeing you every morning."

Hyejin had confessed as she stared at Wheein expectantly, waiting for a reaction.

"I honestly don't think I am," Wheein muttered into the space between them, looking down.

"I don't know why you say that."

"Because it's true.."

Hyejin's shook her head, "It's not true, you're great otherwise why would I have come to like you?"

Wheein's head shot up as she locked eyes with Hyejin wondering if this was a prank. As she looked at Hyejin she realized that no it wasn't a prank because otherwise Hyejin wouldn't be looking at her with so much anticipation on her behalf, waiting for an answer.

"You like me?"

Hyejin nodded.

Wheein managed a sigh, "I'm so relieved~"

Hyejin looked confused before she asked, "Why?"

Wheein smiled, "Because I like you too~"

Hyejin couldn't help but smile as a blush adorned her cheeks before meeting Wheein's really relieved expression. 

"Then, can I ask your age?" 

Wheein looked down slightly embarrassed before nodding and smiling, her dimple showing and Hyejin had to stop herself from poking it.

"I'm 21."

"Me too."


stay healthy and love freely~

- shadow14