Chapter 9

When Worlds Collide

There is light everywhere. Why is there so much light? I lift my head realizing that it was rested on my arms. I begin rubbing my eyes and looking around. This isn't my room. Why am I sitting up? Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh wait this is the dorm living room. I began looking around frantically. All my stuff was scattered across the table I was sitting at. My hair was all over the place and I was still in my clothes from yesterday. I begin frantically searching for my phone. I stand up and pick it up from the floor. It's 8:45am. School started at 8! I run to my room and notice my roommate is not there. I quickly search through my drawers finding a clean uniform and run to the bathrrom. After taking a shower and getting myself together I head back downstairs into the living room. Collecting all of my things i grab my water bottle, throwing my backpack on my back and running out of the door. I reach the main building and head to the main office to get a late pass. 

"Up late studying I see" The secretary Mrs.Smith says, handing me the note as I smile at her. 

"How did you know?"

"Your only ever late when you've been studying" she says as she opens a drawer. "Here, I'm assuming you didn't have breakfast so eat this on the way to class, and don't over work yourself!" she says passing me a granola bar. 

"Thank you so much!" I walk out of the office and quickly make it to my second period, which for me was English. 

"Nice of you to join us" the teacher says as I pass them the note and quickly walk to my desk, trying not to bring to much attention to myself. Suddenly someone lifts there foot infront of me and I trip over it. I almost fall making a few people chuckle, but I catch myself, sadly sacrificing the rest of the granola bar that was in my hand. I look up angrily and realize its one of Seoyeon's followers, of course. 

"You should be more careful Haeun" she says looking at me inocently. I don't even respond and instead I go to my seat. I look to my left and see Nick a few seats over. 

"What happened" he mouths to me 

"Woke up late" i reply. He nods understandingly and we bring our focus back to class. 

****

It's now lunch time and I'm practically running to the cafeteria considering I didn't eat breakfast and am starving. I grab a slice of peperoni pizza, some fries, a chicken ceasar salald, a soda and a fruit cup. After getting everything on my tray I head over to the table with everyone else and I sit down. 

"Wow someones obviously hunger" Isabella says stealing a fry. 

"Yeah you would be to if you didn't have breakfast." Everyone looks at me questioningly. "I woke up late in the living room this morning after studying last night" 

"Oh my gosh that's where you were? I thought you just woke up early and went for a run or something" Isabella says "Did you at least miss the spanish test?" She asks, making everyone chuckle 

"No, I have it last period, so after lunch. Are you prepared Joowon?" I ask, bringing my attention to him before continuing with my food. 

"I guess, I don't think it will be that hard." he says nonchalontly. I wish I could be that confident in my work. "I'm sure you'll do fine" he adds on. 

"I hope so" I say. After that we just talk about random things. I'm the last to finish my food and so the only ones left at the table are me and Joowon, who for some reason decided to wait for me, even though I told him he didn't have to. I clean up and we walk to the spanish class room, making it to our seats right before the bell rang. 

"Ok class, as you are well aware, and hopefully prepared for, we have a test." the teacher begins. "I will hand out the test and you may leave after you have finished. Don't forget to write down the homework before you leave, I will write it on the board for everyone to see. Good luck." she says as he passes out the tests to everyone. I look over at Joowon, giving him alittle thumbs up when we make eye contact, making him chuckle a little. I look back to my desk as a test is set down. I hope I do well on this test, I think to myself before I begin.

**** 

"I failed it. I feel it in my heart. I completely bombed the test. I don't even need to see the grade." I say as I walk in my room defeated, dropping my bag and taking off my shoes at the door before walking over to Isabella's bed where she and a few of our other friends were. 

"Im sure you're just overreacting" one says 

"Yeah you're like the smartest person I know, and you work your off, I'm sure you did great" Izzie says. 

"Whatever, I don't even want to think about it anymore" I say laying my head on one of the pillows. 

"Hey does anyone want to go to the mall?" Rebecca asks, everyone begins mumbeling in agreement and we all get up, gethering ourselves and meeting up in the front of the dorms before heading to the parking lot. We drive to the mall, singing along to our favorite songs on the way. We park and walk towards the entrance of the mall. After spending a good two and a half hours at the mall, we had been into seven stores. I bought a new pair of shoes and a few new sweaters. We were currently in the food court while Rebecca was talking to some guy who stopped us as we were walking to talk to her. We thought it would be fun to make faces at her while she talked, so thats what we were spending our time doing. It was actually pretty funny considering he had a few friends who were looking from afar as well. Occasionally he would look back and catch us, chuckling and waving. After about ten minutes we saw them exchange numbers and Becky walked back to us as the guys friends approached him, patting him on the back and laughing as they walked off. 

"And once again, the fabulous Rebecca gets another guys number" one of our friends say as we all laugh, considering she was right and it wasn't the first time Rebecca was stopped by a guy. All of my friends were really pretty so there have been many times when we were stopped by a guy who was interested in one of them. 

"Yeah he was pretty cute" I say nudging her. She chuckles 

"Yeah he was wasn't he?" she says laughing. We all get up from the table and my phone begins to ring. I look down and see Hyunwoo's number, automatically I think back to what Dohyun was saying yesterday and get these butterflies in my stomach.

"Who is it?" Izzie asks, considering it's in Korean the others can't read it. 

"It's Hyunwoo" immediately all the girls begin to aww and laugh, nudging me. 

"It looks like your boyfriend is wondering where you are, you should answer it! quickly before he hangs up!" Rebecca says 

"He isn't my boyfrined" I say before picking up the phone, hearing someone slip in a yet in response to my statement. 

"Hey Hyunwoo" I say 

"Hey" 

"What's up?"

"Are you busy right now?" 

"No not really, just at the mall with the girls" 

"Oh, oh-ok"

"Was there something you needed?"

"Well I wanted to talk to you" immediately I get anxious. "I wanted to know if we could meet by that fountain we normally meet at" he was referring to the pretty fountain on the far side of campus, not many people sat there but it was so beautiful, no matter what the season and I like to go there to read or think, Hyunwoo caught me walking there once and so occasionally he will tag along now. 

"Oh, uhmm yeah I can meet you there when I return." 

"WE ARE LEAVING NOW SHE WILL BE BACK IN TWENTY MINUTES" Rebecca begins to yell, trying to get Hyunwoo to hear while everyone else laughed as I tried to push her away and continue my conversation. 

"O-ok, well then I'll see you in twenty minutes" Hyunwoo says, chuckling at Rebecca. 

"Ok" I say hanging up the phone looking at Becky. 

"You're welcome" she says with a smirk as she walks away. "Lets go Haeun needs to return to her boyfriend" she finishes as we all follow behind her.

"He ISN"T my boyfirend" I say chuckling 

"Yeah whatever, you two seem to be getting closer and closer by the day" Izzie says, everyone else agress and I just smile with my head down, shaking my head.  They begin making up different reasons why he would want to meet with me face to face, agreeing that it's probably to ask me out or something. My friends are crazy I think. I do wonder what he has to ask me, as we reach the parking lot, getting in the cars we came in and driving off back to campus. 

****

As I'm walking to the fountain I try really hard to think of why we are meeting up there. I can't find a reason. For a split second I wondered if the girls were right when they said he would ask me out. That thought soon left my mind after I realized how stupid it was. Not saying I would say no, but I don't honestly think that Hyunwoo is going to ask me out. I mean there are so many girls at our school who he could be with. But then why are we meeting this way? Im so deep into thought that I didn't even realize that the fountain was a few feet away and that someone was already standing there. Assuming that it's Hyunwoo, and hoping he hadn't been waiting long, I pick up the pace. 

He hears me coming and turns around. "Hey Haeun" he says. 

"Hey". I'm now standing in front of him and it seems as if neither one of us knows what to say

"Soooo, did you have fun at the mall?"

"Yeah..."

"That's good" 

"Why are we meeting here?" I ask, not trying to be rude but curious and frankly a little nervous.

"Oh...yeah" he says, chuckling and sitting down. I follow his actions, looking at him waiting for an explination.

"I mean.....well.....the thing is...."

"yeah...." 

"I don't know I guess I just....Oh gosh this is ridiculous" at this point I'm very confused.

"what is it?"

"Well since we've known each other for a while now, and you know we've gotten closer...." he couldn't be saying what I think he's saying. Right?

"Uh-huh..."

"You want to go out?" he asks rather quickly, catching me off gaurd. 

"what?"

"Do you want to go out? Like just me and you...like on a date" my heart stopped. A date? A DATE !?!?!? I couldn't believe it, and I couldn't stop the butterflies errupting in the pit of my stomach. 

"A date ?" I ask

"Yeah" 

"Ok" i say smiling 

"Wait really?" he says lookling a little surprised 

"When?" I ask chuckling at his reaction.

"How about this friday?"

"O-ok". We look at each other for a while, both of us with grins on our faces, until he breaks the silence. 

"We should probably walk back"

"yeah"

"Lets go, I'll walk you to your dorm" he says. And with that we both get up and walk back together, making small talk on the way. 

****

"Soooo, what happened? What did he want? We want to know everything!"

"Yeah spill the beans!" 

I giggle as I take off my shoes letting the room door close behind me as I walk over to Izzie and Rebecca, sitting down on the floor 

"Nothing much" i say nonchalontely as I play wiht my fingers looking down at the ground. 

"Really? What was it then?" Rebbeca 

"Oh you know, he just wanted to ask about our date on friday night" I say grinning up at them. And of course they begin screaming as the tackle me so we're all laying on the floor laughing.

"See" Isabella starts. "I knew he liked you"

"I guess you were right" I say. 

"Oh my gosh. Where are you guys going? What are you wearing?" Rebecca asks. 

"I guess you guys have to help me figure that out." I say, with a warm feeling inside. I think this is going to be a good date. I can feel it.