Chapter 5

When Worlds Collide

I remember feeling like I was floating. Being close to a steady beat and hearing someone talk. Someone with a deep voice so I'm assuming it was a male one. Now here I am opening my eyes to the sun, in my bed, when the last thing I remember is looking at the stars. I'm thoroughly confused, and I don't remember going to bed. I suddenly became startled when I can't remember the day. I sit up immediately and begin looking for my phone. I see it on my night stand and look at it, seeing that it's Saturday, 12 in the afternoon. I rub my eyes and begin to calm down knowing I don't have classes. I see Issabella in her bed and my phone begins to ring. It's my mom. I quickly get out of bed and walk out of my room into the hall and answer the phone. We talk for probably an hour about how school is going, me settling back into the dorms, my siblings and how school is going for them. We talk about random things and I ask her how she is doing. She catches me up on everything and tells me not to worry so much. The usual. It's not that I always worry, it's just that eveyone wants their family to be ok. Things just tend to be a little hard for us from time to time, and my mom works really hard to make sure we have what we need. I guess I spaced out because my mom begins to ask me if I heard her. 

"Sorry no mom what did you say?"

"I said do you have work today?"

"Yes I do actually thank you for reminding me, I go in at 3."

"Ok, well I guess we will end our conversation here."

"Ok mom, don't work to hard, and tell the kids I love them."

"You don't work to hard ! Focus on school. I love you !" 

"I love you to mom. I will call again soon." I say and then we hang up the phone. 

Because I am over 16 I can work, so I work at a restaurant on the weekends, and even though my mom doesn't like me sending money back home, I do it anyway hoping it will help out one way or another. I get off of the floor, dusting myself off and walking back into my room. I grab my khaki shorts and my work shirt from my drawer and head to the bathroom. A half hour later I am dressed with my hair braided to the side. It's now two. By this point Izzie was up and moving around. 

"Do you have work today?" 

"Yeah I'm going to get ready now. Do you want extras if they have them?" I sometimes can bring food back with me after work

"Is that a real question?" she says "Of course I do. By the way you should thank Hyunwoo if you run into him." She says smirking 

"And why is that?" I ask While 

"You fell asleep on the beach last night, apparently after you both ditched us." she starts to wiggle her eyebrows and I roll my eyes at her. "Anyway he carried you back to the car. And then to our room. It was actually really cute." she says nudging me before heading to the bathroom. 

"Ok, well im going now. I'll bring back your favorites." I say. I walk to the door and put on my shoes. I yell to isabella telling her I will see her later and she waves goodbye. I walk out of the dorm building and begin my walk to the exit gates. Since I have an hour I've decided not to take the bus and just walk. It was such a nice day anyway. While I'm walking I'm looking at my phone, that is until I bump into someone. I look up and see Joowon. Making this the second time I've bumped into him. I bow slightly saying a quick "jeongmal joesonghabnida (I'm really sorry)" before going to walk away. 

"dangsin-eun eodi goiong issseubnikka? (where are you going?)"

"To work" i reply in english this time. "I work at a restaruant on weekends." I mumble, he says nothing else so I begin to walk again. Soon I feel someone grab my arm. 

"Are you going to walk" 

"That was the plan" I say. He stands there for a minute, making me feel a little awkward before he replies.

"Do you want a ride? I look at him for a minute. We aren't really close, and other then bumping into him we've only spoken when we are with everyone else. I honestly wouldn't expect this of him. So I begin to decline. 

" Thank you, but I wouldn't want to..."

"It wouldn't be a bother, I was already on my way out" he says. I don't say anything and he begins to walk in the same direction, I follow him. We reach his car and I get in the passenger seat. We drive and we don't talk other then me giving him the directions to put into his phone. The radio is playing, and I begin to quitely sing along, tapping my foot a little. I hear Joowon chuckle a little, and I realize that I don't hear him do that to often. Laugh that is. 

"Do you work every weekend?" he asks 

"Almost, unless I have a lot of school work, I've sort of made a second family with the people there so they are very kind and flexable with my schedule." He nods at this. The conversation ends there and soon we are at the restaurant. 

"jag-eob tago jusyeoseo gamsahabnida (Thank you, for the ride to work.)" I say. I begin to leave the car when he gets my attention. 

"majimag ileum-eun mueos-ibnikka? (what's your last name?)" he asks. I find it a weird and random question to ask, but I answer anyway. 

"Kim." I say, we kind of just look at each other for a moment, and I can't tell what he is thinking. "dangsin-eulbogo (See you)." I say before slowly closing the car door and running towards the doors of the restaurant. I soon hear Joowon drive off. I walk in to see one of my good friends walk up to me. 

"Im so glad you're here, were busy today. By the way, who was that?" I think a while before responding. 

"Just somone from school, who was kind enough to give me a ride." they nod in response and I drop my stuff off in the back before quickly getting to work.

****

It was now 9 oclock at night, and I was exhausted. I had just finished working and now I was getting my things (including the extra food I promised Izzie) to go back to campus. I said my goodbyes to the last two people at the restaruant how were going to close up. I asked if they were sure they didn't need any help but they told me it was ok and to go and get some rest. As I was walking out of the doors I began to walk down the board walk when I saw someone I wasn't expecting. Kim Joowon, with his car. He was leaning against his car outside of the restaraunt. 

"Joowon-shi?" 

"Joowon is fine" he says looking up from his phone. "I thought you would never come out of there." he says motioning towards the doors of the restaurant. 

"What are you doing here?"

"Why else would I be here?" he replies back quickly. I'm not sure what to say so I kind of just stand there. He moves from his position on the front of the car and opens the passenger seat door. "Get in" he says. So thats what I do. I get into Joowon's car feeling thankful that I don't have to take the bus back, but confused on why Joowon would take time out of his day to come and pick me up from work. He also gets in the car and looks at me. I become uncomfortable under his gaze and shift my position in the seat. 

"What is it?" I ask

"I don't want to go back to campus yet. Can we go somewhere?" 

"S-sure, I don't mind." I reply

"Where?"

"What?"

"Where should we go?" I think about it for a while as Joowon puts the key into the ignition and puts his seatbelt on. 

"We can go to the beach. It's like a 3 minute drive from here and you didn't come to the bonfire, so you didn't get to see it." I say. He nods before looking over at me. 

"Lead the way." I give him the directions and we find a parking spot. I take off my shoes and leave them in the car, before getting out, Joowon sees this and takes his off as well but he just holds them, rolling his pants up an inch or so. We begin to walk and I get enough courage to ask.

"Why did you pick me up from work today? Were you already in the area?"

"No." he says

"Then why?" I say looking up at him as he looks ahead

"Because I was jealous." he says. This confuses me. What does him being jealous have to do with picking me up? What is he even jealous of? "All the other guys seem to be very close to you. I decided I also wanted to be close with you." This takes me by great surprise. I guess he notices because he chuckles before continuing. " What? Do you not want to be friends?"

"It's not that, I just didn't expect you to want to be friends. If i'm to speak honestly, I didn't think you liked me very much, especially after the incident with Seyeon." I say looking down.

"You mean that clingy girl? She is so annoying, always around." he looks down at me "But why would I be mad at you?"

"I don't know, you just seemed so irritated with the whole sittuation, and I had bumped into you before and after that. And you also intimidated me a little." he chuckles

"You shouldn't be initimidated by me. I just couldn't understand why you let her treat you that way." he says 

"I don't know, the other koreans just don't like me." I sigh

"Yeah Youngdo was telling me and the guys about it. Hyunwoo says it's apart of the reason why you don't speak korean to us. You never had anyone to speak with when you were younger, and you don't want to be teased, or have attention brought to you.

"They spoke that much of me?"

"All the time. They love you." I chuckle beginning to blush a little. Good thing he couldn't see because of my skin and the fact that it was darker out. "They told me about your family to. Is that why you work weekends?"

"Yeah, that and I also get a few extra dollars for myself."

"You've never tried finding your father?"

"Nope" I was confused on where this question suddenly came from. I guess the other guys really did tell him everything. 

"Why not? What about that whole side of your family? Do you not want to know them?"

"It's not a matter of me wanting to know them. I think it's more of them wanting me, excepting me."

"What do you mean?"

"My mom has never talked bad about my family, but she did tell me somethings, and her being black was a big problem, and probably a big reason why my father didn't want me. Why he probably left."

"What if your mom was confused? What if he really did want you? What if he doesn't even know about you?"

"If he wanted me so bad he would have found me. If it was meant to be he would have stayed." I wasn't understanding why Joowon seemed so interested, or more so, bothered by my not knowing my father or his family. It was confusing me and for the first time in my life thinking about my father was making me upset. It was irritating me the more it was brought up and the more I went in my head and tried figuring out why he didn't stick around. 

"So if he showed up now, if your family suddenly appeared, would you not want to be apart of that? That other side of you?" I thought about it for a minute. 

"I don't know. I don't know how I would even feel if they came to me. It's not like that would ever happen anyway. I mean I'm 17 years old, I'm sure if they wanted to by now someone would have popped up. Maybe it's best if they don't, I can't see good coming from it. I can't see anything coming from it." I say, sighing out of dissapointment. For the first time ever I was dissapointed about this sittuation. I couldn't figure out why, so I just forgot about it. Joowon continued to look at me for a little while before he began looking ahead again. "What about you?" I ask 

"What?"

"What's it like being the Presidents Son, must be fascinating." I say, he chuckles again before replying. 

"It's not all it's made up to be." He says. I nod in response. He tells me about not really having a family with his father being the president. He and his mom are close, but his father and he have a strained relationship. His three best friends are the same three goofballs he came here with. They transfered their last year because their old school became to much for them. So many people knowing who they were, and they had a few problems with others trying to get fame and money from them. So they came to America where they hoped many wouldn't know them. He says he recently has found out that he might even have family here, but he hasn't found them yet. We continue talking about random things after that and soon we decide to head back to campus so we wouldn't be late for cerfew since it was now 10:30 and cerfew was 11. After getting back on campus. Joowon and I went our seperate ways after I thanked him again for the drive to and from work. Walking inside the dorms, I couldn't figure out what had even just happened. Did Joowon and I become friends?