Chapter 6

When Worlds Collide

Joowon's POV ~ 

After I know that Haeun was safely back in her dorm, I begin to walk back to my own. I text the guys telling them to be in my room so we could talk. After spending time with Haeun there was no way I could just forget about it now. The only one who knew what I knew was Hyunwoo. I planned on telling Youngdo and Dohyun tonight as soon as I got back to the dorms. So much is swimming through my head and I can't sort it all out on my own. I walk up the steps and into the boy's dormitory. I see a few guys on my way and talk for a second before walking to my room where the guys were already waiting for me. I set my keys on the dresser and take off my shoes, trying to think of where I should start exactly. 

"So what's up?" Youngdo is the first to speak. "Why are we all meeting up?". I look at Hyunwoo, who was already looking at me, a knowing expression. I sigh rubbing my face in confusion and fustration. 

"Is this about what I think it's about?" Hyunwoo asks, I nod my head in response. 

"Wait, whats going on? What is it about? Where were you even at for the past few hours?" Dohyun is now speaking. I decide to answer the easiest question first. 

"I was with Haeun." I say, walking over to sit on my bed. 

"Ok, well what is it that you aren't telling us? Well except for Hyunwoo who obviously knows". I sigh again, before deciding to just start from the beginning and tell them what I know. 

"Ok I'll explain" I start. "We all know that my parents were not always together. How a few years after I was born they split up for a while before getting back together." The guys nod unsure of where I'm goin with this, and I continue. "Well when they split up my father ended up in America for a while. He lived there for a few years and I would go visit him often. I don't remember much about it because he ended up coming back. His family telling him that he had to marry my mom and get his life together. Live it the right way. So he did. Fast forward to a few months ago. I was cleaning out one of the rooms in the house of my grandparents for them, and I find this box. I open it and there are all these pictures of a little girl. She had long curly hair and dark skin. There were pictures from all different things and ages. From the park, to her at school to her with people I assumed to be her family. Her mom and siblings. There were files on her with all her information." the guys are giving me their full attention now and I don't know if they're truely keeping up but I continue anyway. "I ask my grandparents about it and they tryed for a while to avoid me but after a while I finally got it out of them. It turns out I had a sister, kept secret from me. And if I wouldn't have found that box I probably would have never known." 

"Why would they hide something like that from you? How is that even possible?" Youngdo asks

"I don't know but they did. I ended up getting in an argument with my grandfather, demanding to know everything. Apparently while my parents were seperated, my father had another child. The mother was a black women who lived in America and worked under him in the company. They had a relationship for a while, but it ended and my father came back to Korea."

"And he just left the lady to take care of their baby alone?"

"That's the thing. He didn't know. After hearing this from my grandfather I went to my father. I was furious and confused and I wanted to know the truth. He told me that my grandparents never liked the idea of him dating a black women, let alone a women who wasn't korean. They tried bribing the woman and everything, but nothing worked. My father wouldn't budge. So they began attacking her, threatining her, and then my father. She broke up with my father suddenly without him knowing my grandparents part in the break up. He came back to korea not knowing he was having another child and after a while of being back he and my mom got back together. She knew he had a relationship while in America, but that was all she knew. A few years later my grandfather got sloppy with cleaning up after himself and my father found out. I couldn't understand why he didn't do anything then. He said he thought it best if he didn't. It would have been to complicated and confusing, especially for me and for her too. After finding her once, they moved and he couldn't find her secretly so he let it go. Soon he got into polotics, and now is the President" I stopped at this point looking up at the guys. Hyunwoo didn't seem to surprised considering he knew, I had told him a little while after coming here. The other two though, they looked shocked and unsure of what to say. Dohyun was the first to ask a question. 

"So, why is this so important now? Did you find her or something?"

"Yeah did you remember her name or anything?" Youngdo added. I look at Hyunwoo before responding. 

"Yeah. Yeah I did." I say. There's a pause. 

"Well.....who is it? Where does she live?" Youngdo asks 

"Her name...." I was wondering if I should really say, but it was to late to turn back now. "Her name is Haeun. Kim Haeun." They both look up at me as if they didn't know what to believe. 

"Wait, so you mean to tell me that Haeun, our Haeun, is your long lost half sister?" Dohyun asks. 

"Yeah, that's what I'm saying." No one says anything for a while until Hyunwoo speaks for what seems like the first time since I got back. 

"So is that why you were with her tonight? Did you tell her? Is she ok?" he seemed so concerned about her, sending a signal off in my head, but for now I decided to ignore it and answer his question. 

"No, she doesn't know." 

"Well why not? You found her, shouldn't she know? Doesn't she get that right?" Dohyun says

"It's not that simple. It seems like she never had a desire to find out who her family was. I kept asking her to see if telling her would be a good idea. But she told me she can't see anything good from it. That she wouldn't know what to do if they did suddenly pop up. She believes that if her father really wanted to he would have found her, and she fears that her family would probably never except her anyway. How can I reveal to her that I am her brother when I can't help but to feel like she is right?" Once again it takes a minute before anyone says anything. We sit for a minute, just taking everything in until Youngdo decides to speak. 

"What if you're both wrong? I mean what if it works out for the better. No matter what she says can you really believe that she's never in her whole life wondered where the other part of her family was? What else she came from? If she is worried about not being excepted, you have to believe that even the smallest part of her has dreamed of meeting the rest of her family. Even though this would affect both her family and your own, I feel you should tell her. As her older brother you should do what you think is right for her in the long run. She deserves that." He stops there, while the other boys nod in agreement. Honestly I agree with him too. I can't live the rest of my life regretting not telling her if I don't, but I'm afraid that this could ruin the life she already has. I know things might not be perfect for her, but it's what she knows. I just don't want to make the wrong decision. 

"Then I guess I have no other choice." I say, looking at my three bestfriends. "I don't know when, but I have to tell her." and even though we don't say anything, we all internally come to an understanding together. 

"Alright, that's more than enough drama for one night, I'm going to bed." Dohyun says getting up and stretching. "babo gal su (lets go stupid)" he says while smaking the back of Youngdo's head, making Dohyun and I chuckle. 

"sip-eo jug-eul? (wanna die?)" Youngdo says while getting up. He looks at me. "You know we're always here for you, and we care about Haeun just as much as you. We'll figure it out." he says, patting my back before he and Dohyun say their goodbyes and leave. I look at Hyunwoo, and we both kind of just sigh, understanding each other and the confusion in front of me. 

"We both need sleep, it's late. Let's worry more tomorrow." he says, before heading to the bathroom. We both get ourselves ready for bed and go to sleep. The last thing I thought about that night was when and how I would tell Haeun, about us, about everything.