The Flashbacks

The Sworn Enemy & I

Ji Eun's POV

              "Mrs Jang! How could you make a male and female be tentmates? Is that allowed??" I asked frantically. "Well, I wasn't the one who came up with the list but I do trust you guys." she said with shrug. *How could she be so calm? We're teenagers!* I thought as I frowned. "Relax, it's not like I even want to do anything to you." said Wooshin with chuckle. I narrowed my eyes then walked off to the tent we were assigned to. 

              Turns out the tent was a little further in then the rest but there were other tents around of course. I sighed and entered the tent. Inside, there were two sleeping bags. *Hmm... Right or left?* I thought. I was about to place my bag on the right one when Wooshin came in and beat me to it. "I'm taking this one." he said as he stucked his tongue out. *This guy!!!!!* I thought as I breathed in deeply to calm myself from flaring up. "Whatever." I said as I rolled my eyes and threw my bag over to the left. "It's not good to throw stuffs." said Wooshin with a smirk. "Shut up!" I glared as I sat down on the sleeping bag.

 

-A while later-

 

              "Ok, class. So now we're going to start the first activity or game called "Synchronisation". Basically, you guys will be in pairs, legs tied together and will have to complete one whole lap of these obstacles." said Mrs Jang as she gestured to the obstacle area. There were like 5 different obstacles that looks easy. Well, if it was an individual race.

              "So now, please get in your pairs." she instructed and I immediately went to Eunwoo. "Nuh uh uh. Not your own partner. Your assigned tentmate." she said. "Sorry, I must have forgotten to tell you guys that. Technically, your tentmate is also your partner for the whole trip." she added with an innocent smile. *Seriously...* I frowned as my right leg and Wooshin's left leg got tied up. "So its the top aces together again huh..." "I bet it's fate!" "You know, they actually look good as a couple huh?" My brows twitched at that late comment. *Seriously, these guys have nothing better to do.*

              "Ok, everybody ready?" asked Mrs Jang. "You'll start with your right, I start with my left." said Wooshin in a quick manner. "On your mark, get set, go!" As soon as the race started, we we're already lagging behind. Why? Simply because our legs could not coordinate. "Yah! You said you'd start with your left!" I exclaimed as we struggled to get up. "I did! You were too slow!" he replied. We kept arguing and in the end, we gave up and untied the rope. That continued for the rest of the activities. We could just not work as one.

              "You know, you two should work harder." said Mrs Jang as she watched the others. "We simply don't go well with each other." "We're uncompatible." said the both of us while nodding our heads in agreement. "Really?" questioned Mrs Jang. I took a glance to see her smiling to herself. *What's wrong with her?* I thought as I shrugged.

              Soon enough, it got dark and was time to have dinner. *Finally I get to run away from that idiot.* I thought as I looked around for Eunwoo with my tray of food in hand. *Wonder where he is....* I thought as I scanned the surroundings. *Ah, there he is!* I cheered mentally the moment I saw him. I was about to call out to him when I noticed he was walking over to a girl who seemed to be waiting for him. She was looking down and was saying something which made her look shy. Eunwoo then said something which made the girl nod slowly and walked away quietly. *Omo! Could it be..?* I thought as I quickly went over to Eunwoo.

              "Eunwoo ah!" I called out. "Oh, Jieun ah." he replied with a smile. I then gave him a teasing look which made him look at me in confusion. "What?" he asked. "Did someone just got a confession?" I teased as I wriggled my eyebrows. Eunwoo's cheeks immediately flushed. "W-what? No, I didn't!" he stuttered. "Did I say it was you?" I said with a victorious smile across my face. "S-shut up!" he said and walked away which left me giggling at his reaction.

 

Wooshin's POV

              *What's so funny?* I thought as I stared at Jieun and Eunwoo laughing as they talked. "You know... I pity those sandwhiches." said Sunyoul which made me tear my gaze away and looked down. "Oh." I said as I realised that I had been stabbing the sandwiches unknowingly. "Say... Are you actually jealous?" asked Sunyoul quietly. "W-what? Why would I be jealous? Besides, who would like someone like her." I said while trying to sound confident. "I didn't say who." said Sunyoul with a snicker. "Why you!" I glared as I faked a punch.

              "So, you like her huh?" he asked after a while. I took a glance at Jieun and sighed. "I don't know." I said and looked down. "Well, I can help you find out." said Sunyoul with a bright smile. "How?" i asked as I looked at him inquisitively. "I'll ask you a series of question. Are you ready?" he said and I shrugged in response. 

              "First question. How do you feel when you're around her or vice versa?" he asked. "Erm, I feel-" "Do you feel happy? Nervous? Excited?" he said cutting me off. "At times?" I answered. "Next. How do you feel when she's with Eunwoo?" he continued. "I feel... Erm, well. It's just at times but I-" "You feel jealous?" he stated as he narrowed his eyes in a just-admit-it kind off way. "Y-yes." I said looking down. "Hmm, ok. Next. Do you feel a need protect her?" he asked with a smirk. *Tsk. This guy..* I thought as I sighed. "Yes. Especially during that time where that girl was trying to hurt her." I admitted. "Ok, lastly. Do you think you have feelings for her?" he asked. 

              "W-well I... I don't know." I breathed out. "Hmm. That means you most likely have feelings for her but you're denying it." he stated. "Am I right?" he asked turning to look at me. "I guess so..." I said. "Why are you trying to deny it? Just tell her you like her." he said nonchalantly. "It's not as easy as you think. Besides, I don't think she'd like me." I said. "Why so? You never know, she might be in the same situation as you." Sunyoul said with a shrugged. *Nah, why would she like someone like you, Wooshin. Dream on.* I thought as I glanced at her way then sighed.

 

Ji Eun's POV

              Dinner soon ended and it was lights out. I am now in the tent with the idiot. *Just what did I do wrong to be stucked with him like this...* I thought as I sighed. Wooshin was already lying down with his eyes closed. I sighed once again and laid down. *Oh, that's right.* I thought as I remember something.* I usually sleep facing the left but if I do, we'd be sleeping face to face!* I thought as my eyes widened. *Ok, calm down Jieun. Just try to sleep on your right.* I thought as I turn to the right.

              *Ok, this is not working.* I thought as I groaned. It has been half an hour and I still can't sleep. At this rate, I might just stay awake all night. "Can't sleep?" said a sleepy voice which made me freeze. "Err, nope. I'm just getting ready to sleep." I lied. *Please go back to sleep.* I thought. "But you've been up since half and hour ago." he said. *Omo, i'm caug- Wait, what?* I thought as my brows furrowed in confusion. Then I turned to find that he was looking at me with sleepy eyes. "I thought you were sleeping. So how..." I trailed off and Wooshin became tense before saying. "I'm a light sleeper. You kept moving so yeah." he said as he looked away. *Mhmm...* I thought a little doubtful. "So, why can't you sleep?" he asked after a moment of silence. "Well, I usually sleep on my left but you sleep on your right and I don't feel comfortable... So..." I said quietly as my voice trailed off again.

              "I'll face the other side then." he said which made me look at him. "I'll face the other side so you can sleep better. Ok?" my eyes widened a little as a familiar scene flashed by. "What?" asked Wooshin. I blinked before asking, "You don't mind?". "Nah, I can sleep either way." he said. "Oh, ok." I replied. Wooshin then turned to face his left so his back is facing me. "There. Go to sleep." he said. "Ok." I replied with a smile although he didn't see it. I then snuggled into the sleeping back and closed my eyes. 

 

-The next day-

 

              "Mmrggh." I breathed out as I stretched. I then sat up and looked to my left. Wooshin was still asleep. I then slowly got out and left the tent. Outside, there were already a few of my classmates who had woken up. Then, I spotted Eunwoo. "Morning, Eunwoo!" I greeted with a bright smile. "Morning, sunshine!" Eunwoo greeted back. "Did you sleep well last night?" he asked. "Yeap! At first I couldn't sleep though." I said. "Why not?" he asked as his brows furrowed. 

              "Well, Wooshin was facing me when he was sleeping so i thought it'd be awkward to face him while sleep so I tried sleeping on my right but I failed." I said. "Then how did you managed to sleep?" he asked. "Wooshin woke up and I told him why I couldn't sleep so he faced the other way and then I fell asleep." I said and smiled. "Mhmm. Good that you had a nice sleep." he said. "But I assume your tentmate didn't." he said with a chuckle. "What are you talking about?" I asked in confusion. Eunwoo then nudged his head to the side. I turned to see Wooshin with Sunyoul walking. Well, actually no. It's more like, Wooshin's being dragged by Sunyoul. Boy, he looked so sleepy and tired as though he didn't get any sleep. *Wait. Don't tell me...* I thought as my brows furrowed.

              "Ok, for today's morning activity, we're going hiking!" cheered Mrs Jang. There were a few cheers and groans that could be heard. "Now now, get in your pairs before I give you guys the hiking route. I potued at Eunwoo which made him chuckle. "I'll see you later." he said as he gave me a pat on the head. I nodded slowly then walked over to Wooshin who was looking at me from where he was standing. After everyone got into pairs, Mrs Jang gave out the map.

              "Now, there are 3 different pathways to reach the destinated place so as long as you follow the map, you'll be fine." briefed Mrs Jang. "Ok, so let's get going! See you guys there!" said Mrs Jang excitedly. Then everyone started walking off. "So we're supposed to go here..." I said as I started walking with Wooshin right behind me. After walking for a while, it came to a point where the pathway was getting higher and steeper step by step. *Ok... I don't like this.* I thought as I stepped forward slowly. I'm not acrophobic but I had always been scared of steep hills ever since that horrible incident where I fell down a steep hill and broke my leg and arm when I was young.

              "Gwenchana?" asked Wooshin who was infront of me. "Y-yeah. I'm fine." I lied. Wooshin nodded then continued forward. He was going quite fast on a steep ground like this. Not to mention the slippery rocks here and there. *Please slow down a little. Geez.* I thought as I struggled forward. "Hurry up. You're so slow." said Wooshin who stopped walking. "S-shut up. You're just too fast!" I said. *So annoying.* I thought as I trying walking faster. Just then my foot slipped on a rock and my body fell forward. *Andwae!* I squeezed my eyes tightly as I waited for my face to hit the ground but it didn't happen.

              I opened my eyes slowly to see that Wooshin had stopped me from slipping and I was gripping his arm tightly. We stared into each others eyes for a moment before he asked, "Gwenchana? You're not hurt right?". I was too shakened up that I couldn't say anything but water filled my eyes. "Yah, waegurae?" Wooshin asked as his eyes widened in shock. I didn't answer and continued crying.

              Just then, I found myself in a warm embrace. *What...* My eyes widened and my heart started to beat fast. Wooshin had pulled me into an embrace and was trying to calm me down by my hair gently. *Why does this feel so familiar...* I thought as I leaned into the hug. "You know, you should've just told me you were scared in the first place." he spoke softly. "I just... It's embarassing." I replied. "There's nothing to be embarassed of. People have their fears." said Wooshin which made my heart skip a beat.  *Why does he keep making me feel this way?* I thought as I broke the hug.

              "Let's continue walking." I said and looked at him. Wooshin was looking at me when he reached out for my face to wipe a tear off. He smiled then held his hand out. "Here, hold my hand so you won't fall again." he said with a soft gaze. "I'll hold your hand so you won't fall!" My eyes widened as another familiar scene flashed by which made my heart skip a beat again. I don't know how many times my heart skipped by now but my heart is probably healthy for skipping so many times. I slowly took his hand which he then curled his fingers around making me blush.

              Soon enough, we reached the destination. I guessed we were slow since most of the classmates were already there. Wooshin and I went towards the class and called out, "We're here." "Oh, that's goo-" Mrs Jang cutted herself off and looked at us in surprise. Just then, notice we were the center of attention. *What are they staring at..?* I thought. 

              "Wooooo, it seems the two top scorers became one huh?" "Aww, look at them!" "My my, I knew they had something between them." "Woots! Congrats!" the class started cheering and I couldn't get more confused. "What are they..." mumbled Wooshin and I then realised we were still holding hands. We looked at each other with wide eyes before quickly letting go and looking away in embarassment.

 

Wooshin's POV

              "So, seemed like it went well huh?" teased Sunyoul as we got out of the shower. "Shut up! I told you there's nothing between us!" I glared. "Mhmm. Holding hands is nothing. Right, got it." he smirked. "Urgh, whatever." I rolled my eyes and walked away. When I reached my tent, I peeked in slowly to find Jieun already in the tent. "Hey." I said as I entered. "Hey." she replied. I then sat and kept my dirty clothes in my bag.

              "You know..." Jieun spoke after a while. "You looked quite sleepy and tired this morning. Didn't sleep well?" she asked which made me freeze. *Uh oh.* I thought. "Nope. What are you talking about?" I asked trying to play cool. "I saw you being dragged out this morning." she said. "You can't sleep facing the left, can you?" she asked. *She caught me.* I thought and stayed silent. "Sleep facing the the right tonight. I don't mind." she added which made me turn to look at her. "What? But you said-" "I said I don't mind." she said cutting me off.

              Soon enough, both of us were already tucked into our sleeping bags. *She really doesn't mind...?* I wondered as I stared at her. "Go to sleep." said Jieun with her eyes closed. "Yes, ma'am." I replied. After a while, Jieun fell asleep. I have to admit, she looked cute. Looking at her like this made me recall the things that happened today.

              During today's hike, Jieun really reminded me of the girl from my childhood. They were both scared when it comes to steep hills. Although Jieun tried not to show that she was scared, I saw through her easily. I mean, with the way she was walking and how she had her hands together tightly was obvious she was scared. Or was I too observant? Haha. 

              Anyways, the moment she slipped, my heart dropped and I reacted quickly by stretching out for her. I was then surprised when her eyes watered and she cried after being shakened up. That was when something in me broke and my body moved by itself and I found myself wrapping my arms around her. I froze when I realised what I did but relaxed when I felt a familiar warmth. I don't know why but it felt so natural to have her in my arms like this. It could never felt more familiar.

              *How are you making me feel this way...?* I thought as my gaze soften while watching her peaceful sleeping face. *And you saw through me that I couldn't sleep facing my left.* I thought as a smile crept up my face. No one actually knows that I can't sleep facing the left. Not even Sunyoul eventhough we had so many sleepovers when we were in middle school. Just then, Jieun shifted a little which made a strand of hair fall across her face.

              *Should I...?* I thought as I bit my lip and glanced at Jieun. Sure that she is asleep, I carefully reached a finger out and brushed the strand of hair away from her face. After I sucessfully brushed it away, I smiled in relief. "Jalja." I whispered before closing my eyes to sleep.

 

Ji Eun's POV

               *So nice...* I thought as I snuggled more into the comfortable warmth. *This pillow feels nice... Wait, pillow?* I thought as the "pillow" started to shift and my eyes snapped open.

 

 

 

 

               *OH.MY.GOD*

 


Updated!

 

Hohoho, so how did you guys find this chapter?