Meet the Family

In This Lifetime

You fiddled with the ring on your finger as you sat in the front passenger seat 20 minutes later, a small smile plastered on your face. You heard Donghae chuckle and you realised he had been watching you from the corner of his eyes. You tried to hide you happiness and pursed your lips.

At the corner of your eyes, you saw Donghae's hand let go of the gear stick and reach for your hand to intertwine with your fingers. You blushed, a new unfamilliar feeling washing over you. A feeling of complete bliss, and desire for the moment to last forever.

Soon, the shimmering lights of Seoul appeared before you as you entered the city. You parents had called earlier, asking where you had disappeared to. Telling them you were delayed in traffic, and made wrong turns, the elders decided to head to your house for a rest after the exhausting drive.

You grinned as your mother voiced out her disappointment that you couldn't have your measurements done straightaway.

'Shall we get some icecream?' you asked Donghae once you had put the phone down.

'Mmm, yeah. I could do with something cold right now,' he panted, loosening his shirt to let cool air touch his skin. He pulled over at an icecream parlour and you sat down to eat your cool dessert. You were nearly finished when his phone rang.

'Yebeosayo?'

'Hae!' You were surprised to hear Eunhyuk's loud voice. You couldn;t make out anythig else after that, except that Eunhyuk was speaking quickly and the topic of the conversation was serious.

'Yeah, I just got back...' Donghae frowned. 'What?... Ugh, fine. I'll be there.' He put his phone down and hung up.

'Something wrong?' you asked as he sighed.

'Wanna come visit the company with me?' he asked, half enthusiastic. You clapped.

'Oooh, yeah!' you exclaimed, your eyes lighting up. You had always been curious about Donghae's occupation eversince your arrival.

You had not visited their music company since you were 12 when Donghae's father took both of you to work with him and gave you a tour around. A lot of change has happened since then. You were also excited to meet Korea's top artists, people who you've dreamed to be working with since you were young.

'Our Fashion and Design Manager is acting up again. Ugh, he's such a drama queen,' Donghae groaned, starting the engine of the car and manoevering into the road. Ten minutes later you entered the AL building, flattered when the staff at the front desk bowed to you and Donghae. Donghae walked right in without giving much notice. He gave a distracted wave of acknowledgement without a pause. The building, as you expected, had changed. It was more modern, and chic. Floor to ceilling windows which were not there before had replaced the west walls and as well as the elevators, there was a large curving stairs that lead to the second floor. You gasped when you realised who were descending those stairs, bowing to Donghae.

'Hae, is that... f(x)?' you pointed discreetly at them as Donghae pulled you into one of the elevators.

'Yep, nice girls,' he said, pressing the button for the third floor.

'Uwaah~' you breathed in awe. Donghae glanced at you from the corner of his eyes and chuckled. 'They're so pretty... I'm jealous,' you admitted, pouting.

'Wae? You're prettier than all them put together,' he said, pulling you towards him so that you collided into his chest.

'Psh, stop lying, Hae.' You waved a hand casually, which he caught. He pecked you lips as the door opened.

'OH MY INNOCENT EYES!' Someone yelled, covering their face.

'Yah, you have a schedule right now,' Donghae said to the guy.

The blonde peeked through his fingers and grinned, swinging his hands down. Your eyes widened as you met a grinning Key.

'Anni... Our schedule was this photoshoot but Co-ordi sunbae is having a tantrum.'

'Ah, why?! What did Hyung say this time?!'

'Ani, Kang In hyung didn't say anything. He was just... there,' Key explained as the three of you walked down the hall, Key completely forgetting the fact that he was headed downstairs. 'Heechul hyung did though. Anyway -'

'Aish...' Donghae hissed and lead you into a room. You scanned it. A lounge.

'Is this your girlfriend?' Key asked, leaning over Donghae and smiling at you. You returned his little wave, smiling.

'My fiancee -'

'Omo-'

'Meet Key, yeobo.'

'Aigoo! Hyung! Why didn't you say you were engaged? Noona is so pretty,' Key complimented.

'Sit here, don't go anywhere. There are fruits on the table and drink and snacks in the fridge,' he said to you before turning to Key. 'We got engaged today.'

Key gasped and looked at you apologetically. 'Sorry to ruin your day, noona.'

'Aniyo, it's been really fun so far,' you said, waving his apology off.

'Stay, I'll be right back,' Donghae ordered, striding towards the door. You rolled your eyes.

'Take your time, Hae.'

Donghae shot you an apologetic look as well before disappearing behind the door leaving Key behind.

He grinned at you and you could only blush.

'Mianh! I'd really like to stay and chat but I should probably go and see if they're okay,' Key said, excusing himself. 'But I hope this won't be the last time we'll see each other, noona. Chukahaeyo!'

'Oh.' You bowed your head and smiled. 'Kamsahamnida.'

'Annyeong!' Key gave a cheery wave before he too disappeared behind the door.

You sighed and looked around. The room seemed to be a half lounge and the other part a dressing room. You stood up to examine the costumes hanging on a rack. How pretty, you thought. You examined the long dressing table, complete with the mirror bordered with lights. Make up cluttered the surface, you itched to clear it up but thought better of it incase someone doesn't find what they need later on. You went back to the couch when someone came in, bidding a farewell to one of her colleagues.

A pretty blonde strode in, pausing at the door when she saw you. You stood up and bowed slightly.

'Hi, I'm-'

'Oh, you must be Donghae oppa's fiancee,' she confirmed, 'I heard Key talking earlier. I'm Jessica, if you didn't already know.' The girl pursed her lips and closed the door behind her. She carried a skirt and top in one hand and headed over to the rack to hang it up.

'Oh, no. Of course I know you,' you said, airily, 'I, er, like you songs,' you complimented.

'Really? That's no surprise, Donghae oppa wrote them for me,' she informed.

'Ah... I see,' you replied slowly, the air slowly filling with tension, yet not as much as awkwardness. She looked up after replacing the hanger on the rack, and smiled at you.

'Then you must be oppa's childhood friend... or was it sweetheart?' she asked sweetly, pouring herself a cup of juice.

'Er, just friend,' you answered back straining to be nonchalant about it.

'I see,' Jessica said. She handed you a glass of pineapple juice which you accepted kindly. You sipped it and pulled an face, it was sour.

'JAGI!' You both jumped and juice spilled on your hand as the door banged open and a wide opened armed Eunhyuk marched in catching you into a hug. A number of people followed after him.

'Er, Eunhyuk-ah, how are you?' you asked, confused. The glass must have been half emptied onto the floor now.

'Yah!' Donghae came in, taking his jacket off and throwing an angry glance at you and Eunhyuk.

'Get off her!'

'Won't you share? Gosh, your always so greedy,' Eunhyuk moaned and let go of you. You carefully set the glass of juice down, blushing at your audience.

'Oh, I'll go get some tissues for that,' Eunhyuk said as he noticed you wet hand.

Donghae quickly joined your side and took hold of your dry hand. He introduced your watching audience.

You recognised most people there, including Super Junior's Kang In and Heechul. Siwon was also there, watching with an amused smile. You were fighting to be calm even when you recognised SHINee's members, Key chuckling behind a round eyed Jonghyun. There were also co-ordinators at the back, all tiptoeing over the head of the idols.

You laughed nervously and bowed low, introducing yourself as you did so. Most of them bowed back to you, all except Heechul and Kang In. Eunhyuk came back holding a tissue out to you. You took it with a mumble of 'thanks' and wiped your hands.

'So, this is your sweetheart, huh?' Heechul was first to approach. He slowly examined you from top to bottom, his eyed seemed to be penetrating and you blushed and looked away feeling exposed.

'AH, Hyung! Do you have to do that?' Donghae groaned and swatted Heechul away when he began to circle you.

'Annyeong, I'm Siwon, I hope we can become good friends.' Siwon finally approached you and his interaction finally gave you some comfort and you let out a breath. He caught Heechul by the arm. 'Hyung, stop scaring her.'

Heechul laughed and stood infront of you. 'I'm just kidding. I'm Heechul,' he said, holding out a hand, 'you can call me 'oppa'.'

'Neh,' you replied, shaking his hand. Siwon extended out a hand too and shook yours. You shook a third hand, and realised Kang In had joined them.

'You can call me 'oppa' too,' he smiled, his eyes smiling too.

'Neh, oppa,' you said, shaking his hand and bowing.

'Eeee,' he squealed jokingly and looking at Heechul who had done the same. You laughed quietly as you watched them move away.

'Hello, noona,' a cheerful Onew approached you next, followed by a smiling Taemin. Key and Jonghyun joined them, and finally the more reserved Minho.

'Hello,' you said, bowing slightly and shaking each of their hands.

'Did you resolve everything in there?' you asked Key after greeting Minho.

Key's smile fell slightly and he looked at Donghae beside you.

'He quit!' Heechul yelled from the corner of the room happily, throwing his hands up in the air momentarily.

'Whoo!' Kang In cheered after him.

You cast a confused look at Donghae. He just gave a small shake of his head and introduced the Design team. A majority of which were women and for which you were thankful for since they were less awkward to greet than the guys.

'I'm going!' Jessica annouced from one side, gathering her jacket and bag.

Some people ackowledged her departure with a 'goodbye'.

'Nice to finally meet you, Unnie,' Jessica said before disappearing behind the door.

'Aw... man, I have to go too,' Minho groaned from the couch he was sitting on. He hauled himself up.

'Annyeong, hyung, have fun,' you heard Taemin say.

'Bye, Minho,' s bid, followed by a louder chorus than Jessica's.

'Bye, guys. Bye, noona, see you around!' he said, waving at you and Donghae. You waved back. 'Kang In hyung, are you dropping by later?'

'Yep! Just tell them I'll be there around six!' Kang In yelled after Minho. The younger guy held a thumbs-up over his shoulder as he strode away.

You smiled. How cool, you didn't think they interacted this close in reality. Minho must be filming for DreamTeam or something.

Donghae looked at you and smiled. 'Having fun?' You nodded earnestly. 'Come sit down, we want to ask you something.'

___________________________________