So...

In This Lifetime

The drive back to Seoul was long and tiring, you had left very early in the morning in order to arrive at Seoul by afternoon. The trip for you and Donghae were quiet ones, the reason being was that you were not in the same car. Your father's word last night plagued you through out your sleep and your thoughts as you passed by countrysides and towns. Your mother and soon to be mother-in-law had proceeded on planning out the most part of the wedding. You could only nod and smile when they asked for your opinion. You had always thought the process of the wedding would be the best part, but the fact that everything about this engagement was too rushed only added to the sense of shocking realism.

'We're going to stop by town and get you measured for your wedding dress, we can even have a browse if you'd like,' your mother informed you.

'Neh?' you had looked up from the pictures  you were skimming through.

'Aigoo, my child, you will undoubtedly enchant Donghae!' Mrs Lee squealed and patted your cheeks.

You bowed your head, smiling awkwardly and returned to looking through your holiday photos releasing a quiet sigh.

When the cars pulled over for a rest stop, you all but ran away from the two women to a cafe towards Donghae who had just came out of his car, relieved to stretch his legs. You stopped when you realised where you were heading. Why would you be running towards him? You paused, contemplating whether to turn back and head towards the cafes instead, but it was already to late. He had spotted you and grinned. You shoved your thoughts aside and walked towards him.

'Hmmm,' you whimpered as you approached him, throwing your arms around his waist. He paused, taken aback before hugging you reassuringly. It was times like these when you only saw him as your bestfriend and not the person you're engaged to. It had all become so confusing.

You heard his deep chuckle. 'What's wrong?' he asked, lifting your chin to look at you.

'I don't wanna ride with them anymore,' you cried.

He laughed again. 'It can't be that bad,' he said, trying to comply. You pulled back with a glare at him.

'They were talking about grandchildren, even our dads joined the conversation,' you half growled.

It was too much. Too high an expectation, too fast a pace, too... just too... surreal.

He couldn't hide the surprise on his face, as his mouth formed a small 'o' and his eyes widened.

'Er, don't dwell on that too much. Ignore them,' he said, putting an arm around your shoulders like he did when you were younger. The gesture stated his role as your bestfriend, and not a fiance. You headed into a small cafe for a snack and to hide away from your parents.

Half an hour later Donghae received a phonecall from his father, a signal to go.

He threw his head back and sighed.

'At least you have someone to talk to,' Donghae said as you walked back to the car park, 'I nearly fell asleep at the wheel out of boredom.'

'Hmph, you can ride with Mum and Dad for all I care. It feels like I'm being tortured in there.'

Donghae grinned, and then pouted. 'Won't they let you ride with me?'

'Ask, but I wouldn't be much of a company either. I feel so tired and sleepy.'

 

You rode at the back passenger of Donghae's car ten minutes later. You had lain down across all three seats, your head resting on Donghae's jacket.

'Yah! When I suggested you ride with me, I didn't mean for you to sleep out on me!' Donghae yelled at you from the front, watching your lying form through the rearview mirror.

'Ah... just let me sleep. Just a little bit. You kept me up last night,' you yawned and turned so that he could see your back.

You heard his groan of frustration and smiled to yourself.

You fell asleep slowly to Donghae's humming, and woke up a couple of hours later to find you were still on the road. You sat up, rubbing your eyes.

'Yah, how long left?' you asked, before releasing a yawn.

'Hm, another hour or so. I wanna stop over for a bit, I need a rest,' he moaned.

'Sure,' you replied cheerily, watching the view outside. You were in the country side, with fields stretching out endlessly before you. Donghae parked at the side of the road, crunching the gravel underneath. You jumped out running towards the fields.

'Uwaah~' You stretched before pulling your phone out to take a picture. You turned to call Donghae only to find he wasn't behind you. You shrugged and decided to do a bit of exploring.

Donghae joined you a couple of minutes later, as you sat under a tree. He held a drink bottle in his hands and the picnic hamper containing snacks you had stashed for emergencies.

'Where'd you go?' you asked, you never noticed him going back to the car.

'Sorry, call of nature,' he chuckled and sat down on the tree's large exposed root. You giggled and and reached for the basket.

'Wait,' Donghae said quickly before retrieving the hamper from you. He dug his arm in it and pulled out a small object he hid quickly. You squinted at it but he had been to fast. He handed you back the basket.

'What?' he asked, as you continued looking at him suspiciously as you took the basket back.

'What're you hiding?' you asked, standing up and walking around him. He stood up swiftly, keeping his hands behind his back.

You approached him, trying to snatch the small object from his hands.

'Hae!' you yelled frustrated. He smiled and pulled you close with his other hand. Slowly, he lifted the mysterious object infront of your face. Your eyes widened, your jaw dropped and you flushed red when you realised it was a small black velvet box. He grinned and opened it to reveal...

 

Nothing.

 

Your mouth, dropped a fraction more. Your hands which were halfway to covering your mouth in shock stopped in mid air.

Donghae pulled your hands up and kissed it. Something silver and sparkling caught your eye. He put your hands around his neck and pulled you close, hugging your waist.

'Marry me,' he whispered.

You were frozen, and speechless. You processed everything you had seen and heard. Hesitantly, you lifted your left hand. If you had seen correctly, and if you weren't still dreaming in the car, you could've sworn you saw a ring around your third finger.

Sure enough, there it was, glimmering magically in the sun.

'H-Hae... w-when did you...?' you trailed away, as he began to kiss your neck.

'Whilst you were sleeping in the car, I was so sure you were gonna wake up,' he mumbled, his hot breath tickling you.

A wave of unexpected happinness flooded you and you could feel the heat rising behind your eyes. The tears flowed down silently.

'You still haven't answered me,' he said, pulling away to look at your face, his face fighting to be expressionless.

'Y-yes. Yes I will marry you,' you choked out with happiness.

Donghae's face broke out into a smile, laughing with relief before catching your lips into a kiss.

 

 

Yay! He's proposed!! ^^ What do you think?