For Now

In This Lifetime

'Right, we should go,' Donghae said getting up and straightening his jacket.

You reached down for your bags and belongings but he had already grabbed them as you bent down.

'Give me that, I'll carry it,' you said, tugging at the prize basket he carried.

'No way,' he protested, 'that will go against the rules of being a gentleman. You can hold my hand instead.'

He took your hand as you rolled your eyes.

'Well, what would that make me? A girlfriend who takes advantage of her boyfriend?'

'Girlfriend?' he asked, eyeing you mischievously.

'I-... I meant... That's what people would - would assume,' you struggeld to explain. You pulled your hand away only to be grabbed by him again a second later. He stooped down to your height.

'Let them assume,' he said, and without warning he pressed his lips to yours but broke the contact quickly. He pulled you along to the direction of the carpark building. You entered just as an elevator opened to let out a family. Donghae pulled you in as it emptied.

'Y-yah! Who said you can kiss me?!' you demanded.

He glanced at you with a smirk on his lips.

'Why? You seemed to enjoy it earlier,' he grinned mischievously.

Your outbursts came out in stutters, objections, denials and some violence as you repeatedly hit his arm with your free hand.

'You're the most arrogant, obnoxious, most deluded and annoying person I have ever met!'

A flame sparked in his eyes as he dropped the basket he carried and pushed you against the wall of the elevator roughly. You gasped in surprise as you saw the flickering flames in his eyes as he pinned you to the wall. Your heart began to race.

'But didn't you make me this way? Didn't you delude me that arrogance is what girls like? Besides, did you ask permission when you kissed me? I'm just merely taking revenge for the way you've treated me all those years.'

And with that he had again pressed his lips against yours. It was pressured, deep and full of meaning. He parted your lips and you inhaled his scent and taste his sweetness. The hands that were on his chest which were meant to push him away clung tighter to his shirt instead.

It was over. Your carefully laid barriers were down.

 

At Home

 

'Annyeonghasaeyo,' you greeted Mr. and Mrs Lee with a ninety degree bow. 'It's been a while.'

'Aigoo, my child!' Donghae's mother rushed forward and pulled you in a tight embrace, 'oh,my. You grew up so well, I didn't even see you before you left and now you've become a beautiful woman.' Despite being a 'woman' she had pinched your cheeks fondly before cupping them.

Donghae had busied himself in the kitchen replacing his mother and helping yours. You exchanged looks with him as Mrs. Lee pulled you down onto the couch to catch up at which he could only give you a sheepish smile and a shrug.

'Where's Uncle?' you asked as you proceeded to talk.

'Oh, upstairs, talking to your father as if they've been apart from each other for a long time,' she sighed.

An hour later, your mother had gone upstairs to help your father down the stairs for dinner and your brother had gotten back from his schedule. Everyone gathered in the dining room and sat around the table.

Dinner was full of questions and answers. The way you always remembered it to be when you were younger, except this time the topic of boyfriends and relationships didn't come up.

After dinner you helped to clean up and wash the dishes with your brother as the guests and your parents went into the living room.

You were asked to join them after you finished.

As you entered the atmosphere seemed to have changed. Your parents sat together with Donghae's parents on the long sofa. Donghae sat opposite them in an armchair, waiting.

You joined them, sitting on an armchair next to Donghae and opposite his parents.

They watched you silently, neither happy nor sad but the news they were about to tell you was serious.

Finally, your mother sighed, breaking the silence as gently as possible, yet still it felt like someone had shattered glass.

'You two, we wanted to ask you...' your mother began.

'As much as we understand, we're not forcing you...' Donghae's mother began.

'We don't want you to be unhappy...' Donghae's father, a normally reserved man, added.

'And you shouldn't feel obligated to-' your father cut off.

Silence.

You watched your elders, coaxing them to explain with your eyes. A number of unfinished sentence swimming in your mind.

'We fear your father doesn't have long,' your mother spoke again, putting strength in her voice.

'I wish... to see you married before I go - to walk my daughter down the isle and reassure her protection before I'm gone,' your father prayed.

You watched him, mouth slightly open and in a state of shock.

Suddenly, burning tears surfaced their way to your eyes and down your cheeks.

'Appa,' you managed to say, 'please don't go... please, don't say that. Appa, I - I...'

Just then a bout of coughing escaped him and you rushed to his aid. Donghae's mother went to retrieve him some water as your mother helped him lie back and rest his head. You could do nothing but stand there watching the weary and tired face of your father. His eyes were closed and tears seemed to have lined the roots of his lashes.

You backed away as Donghae's mother came rushing back in with a glass of water. Concerned for your father, being helpless, all you could do was slip away silently unnoticed.... except, of course, by Donghae.

You sat on the wooden bench surrounded by foliage. Your favourite part of the garden, a part of your home your mother had made with the help of your father. That's where your brother found you.

'What do I do?' you whispered.

He sat down gently beside you.

'Oppa, I don't know what to do,' you cried, hugging him as he patted your head gently.

'Y'know, I heard Donghae and appa talking this morning. I don't know what it is they were talking about, but I do know this; Donghae loves you, and he would use all his strength to protect you and make you happy. I believe, if you agree to this marriage, appa will find it in his will, and strength too, to stay in this earth and share your happiness.'

'But - Donghae...' You sat up, and without another word your brother left. You looked up to see where he was going until you came face to face with your bestfriend.

'Marriage to me won't be so bad you know,' he said, sitting next to you.

'But doesn't it bother you? Aren't you bitter that you've been asked to do this rather than make your own choice?'

Donghae watched the grass and smiled. 'It is my choice as well.'

You froze. He turned to you curiously, waiting for your reply.

He smiled. 'It's okay... you don't have to answer me now,' he said, placing a hand at the back of your head gently and kissing your forehead.

You unfroze and wrapped your arms around his waist hugging him tightly.

'Please wait. I promise I'll answer, but let me have my bestfriend back for now,' you exclaimed.

You felt and heard him chuckle as he too wrapped his arms around you... as your bestfriend.

For now.

____________________________________________