Memories and Interests

In This Lifetime

 

 

You and Donghae wound out of the crowd away from the chaos. He carried your bag and camera as you held onto the basket of couple products.

You walked slightly ahead of him to hide your still flushed cheeks. Donghae's kiss seemed to have permanently imprinted itself in your mind.

You smiled as you heard him begin humming behind you and you were suddenly taken aback when he brushed past you dancing with silly little gestures and doing his aegyo.

You looked around to see if anyone was watching and turned back to Donghae. You watched silently for awhile before speaking.

'Hae, what are you doing?'

He stopped, turned and grinned.

'Has it dawned on you that we haven't even caught up on what we've been up to all this years?'

'Hm,' you mumbled agreeably.

When you didn't say anything else he cocked his head to the side and asked, 'wanna go eat?'

He didn't wait for an answer but grabbed the basket out of your hands and took hold of your wrist before you pulling you along towards a cute cafe at the outlet.

'H-Hae, my wrist - it hurts,' you tried telling him, trying to pull your hand away, 'Donghae!'

He stopped and turned.

'When a girl says it hurts pulling them along by their wrist, she isn't lying,' you told him sternly.

He said nothing but glanced at where his hands were wrapped around your wrist, gently he moved his hand down carefully to intertwine it with your fingers. Then, without warning suddenly kissed your cheek.

'You're so cute when you're angry,' he said simply and carried on walking.

You followed in a trance, touching your cheek where his lips had left it tingling.

You had forgotten this new Donghae, the one you left to... forget. Yet, he was there, right in front of you once more. Attacking you with his disarming charm, playing with your well reserved feelings and disorganising them, and you're not sure you like it. Yet it was you that came back to him.

It was your fault for expecting to see that dorky, dependent and shy Donghae from your childhood. Your fault for thinking your harnessed feelings are well out of the way... and they still are... right?

He pulled up a chair and sat you down opposite him as a waitress came to serve you.

Ordering whatever he ordered, you frowned as the waitress stalled to gain Donghae's attention longer, but he stared back at you, a smile pulling at his lips.

'Are you still angry?'

'Since when did you start dragging helpless females and and kissing them on the cheek?' you asked.

'Since you taught me to, minus the kissing part, that was just you,' he grinned, 'and since when were you a helpless female?'

Your heart thumped in an odd way again before you cleared your throat and looked away.

'So, what did you do while you were away?' he asked, resting his head on his gently folded fingers, giving you his full attention.

You glanced at him and looked away again. 'I... travelled a lot before taking up a course in design, and now I'm back indefinitely,' you said simply.

'What places did you go to?'

'Where shall we go after we graduate?' Donghae asked you over your game of cards.

'Hm, I want somewhere sunny, with loads of water sports and things to see and try,' you answered putting your card down.

'Sunny? Why does it have to be sunny where we go? How about Alaska? Wouldn't that be cool? I've always wanted to go there,' Donghae replied.

'Mostly Europe, and then South Africa, and China. I spent 6 months in China since there was just so much to see, and a couple of weeks or so around Europe and Africa for the rest of the year. After that I alternated between France and England studying design and photography.'

'Wow. So you finally got to go to your sunny places,' he smiled.

Your heart dropped. You should've been there with me, instead I left you behind.

You looked away, just as the waitress brought your coffee and a cake - vanilla, topped with fruits of different colours. Your favourite. Donghae's favourite.

'What about you?'

You wanted to ask more, but as the question came out the world seemed to have stopped and restarted again, although this time, it seemed you  were strangers again.

He glanced at you before scraping the froth on top of his latte with a wafer.

'Well, I'm working for my dad's firm now,' he began.

'Just watch, missy,' Donghae instructed you. He began strumming his guitar carefully as you followed with yours.

'Donghae?'

'Hm?'

'What do you wanna do exactly?'

'Take over my dad's business, mwuahaha,' he laughed exageratedly.

'Really? Typically, people would run away from that kind of responsibility,' you said, watching his fingers change chords.

He stopped and thought. 'I've got no reason to. It's not like I hate it. I know about the industry so much already, I get to meet famous people, I can compose as much music and direct concerts and music videos as much as I want,' he grinned.

You contemplated it before you nodded with agreement. 'Hire me?'

'How is it?' you asked.

'Challenging my expectations,' he said smiling, 'but still fun, nonetheless. Eunhyuk works with me, although he's more of a celebrity. He hosts TV and radio shows, but I still get to boss him around.' He laughed and you unconsciously found yourself laughing with him. 'You said you'll be here 'indefinitely',' he began, 'why?'

'It depends...'

'On what?' he asked, before taking a sip of his drink. You looked at him, and then away again.

'Appa,' you said sadly. He paused.

'He's a tough man,' he said. Slowly his sad frown slowly turned to a smile as he remembered something. 'Remember that Christmas he dressed up as Santa? I believed everything from the time he came down the stairs, and pulled out those sleighs he made, from his sack, until his belly fell out. That ruined my religion of Santa's existance.'

You laughed remembering that day perfectly. You had cheered Donghae up by suggesting he, your brother and yourself should go sledging down the hill that was your street.

'How was university?' you asked, after your laughter had died down. He always knew how to cheer you up. 'I guess you got into Seoul?'

'It was... the second most interesting thing in my life,' he replied.

'What's more interesting than that?'

'What course are you taking?' you asked.

'Business and Media, you?'

'I don't know yet. Have you filled in that form?'

'Nope, I need to list a number of Universities I want to apply to.'

'And prioritise it. Seoul?'

'Seoul. Don't be attending it without me. Deal?' Donghae held out his hand.

'Deal.'

'Hm, the first most interesting thing...'

'Ah, girlfriends! I bet you had plenty,' you said triumphantly. Maybe it was more interesting than his campus life.

'Anni!' he denied quickly. 'I didn't have any.'

'Five years? Really?'

'That doesn't mean I didn't date.'

'But you were never serious with anyone?'

'Nope. I bet you did, didn't you?' he asked slyly.

'One guy.'

'Just one?'

'It doesn't mean I didn't date,' you answered him wittily. 'Ah, he was so sweet, caring, quite shy, goodlooking...'

'Are you trying to make me jealous?' he accused.

You smiled in amusement. 'Why? Is it working?'

'Anni,' he denied, 'It seems it didn't work out well in the end anyway, and I bet I'm more goodlooking than him.'

You analysed Donghae's features. He really was more goodlooking. Too bad he knows it, and whatever your gentlemanly gesture your ex boyfriend had, you had already taught Donghae.

'Atleast he was modest.'

'So I am better looking than him!' He beamed happily, like a child who was given a sweet.

'You're the most interesting human being I've ever met,' you retorted.

'Hm, the first most interesting thing...'

__________________________